• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunbo13

I'm just fucking tired of the Captain wanking Bleach has been about for the past 200 chapters. Both HM and Lost Badge were the same shit: Kubo introduced a new set of villains, the new villains defeat Ichigo's useless friends and then the Captains arrive and effortlessly steamroll the new villains with their poorly defined powers, a lack of definition Kubo abuses to asspull whatever the fuck he wants.
That's what happens when you lose track of a persistent and telling theme. The SS arc wasn't great because of just the battles. It was the progression, drama, and mystery surrounding Rukia's imprisonment. HM was similar in some regard with the unveiling of Aizen's plan, the adventuring, and learning of how HM works along with the espada. FKT, this arc, and others are just battle royales. There was tension in FKT with known antagonists and their surprise visits. But the central theme was completely empty. Same with this arc. It's just hollow, where revelations to the quincy will be like an "oh cool, that's how that works." Anybody who thinks this arc's untold stories matches up to the mystery of say the SS arc, would be clearly certifiably insane.

Kubo hit a high note early and got a near pitch later in the manga. And that's how Bleach will end.

I'm just fucking tired of the Captain wanking Bleach has been about for the past 200 chapters. Both HM and Lost Badge were the same shit: Kubo introduced a new set of villains, the new villains defeat Ichigo's useless friends and then the Captains arrive and effortlessly steamroll the new villains with their poorly defined powers, a lack of definition Kubo abuses to asspull whatever the fuck he wants.

The captains will be wrecked in this war. Kubo said that cataclysm will happen to SS. That´s the only way for the Royal Guard to interfere.

Thanks for your recommendations. I'll begin reading then.

Ratman 1 - 9
The affably evil Jackys are so funny, so is the wacky "evil" organization.
Ratman's suit is so classy, it makes me think of Batman in a sense.
Also, the concept of corporate-owned superheroes and its deviances is interesting.

Will continue to read for sure.

Naruto

So the First Hokage fought Madara & 9-Tailed Fox(full power) and won. What cool jutsus did the first know that could counter the sharingan? Wood release, healing, death god technique... That doesn't seem like enough.

Naruto

So the First Hokage fought Madara & 9-Tailed Fox(full power) and won. What cool jutsus did the first know that could counter the sharingan? Wood release, healing, death god technique... That doesn't seem like enough.

Wood has been shown to be effective against trapping the fox, and at least based on the ova he was able to drain chakra from the fox and fight Madara at the same time.

Naruto

What the hell was Itachi´s life for? He´s a failure for not making Sasuke see thing his way. Itachi failed in regards to Sasuke which makes everything he made for Sasuke goes to waste. Itachi´s whole character was for nothing.

All for the Messiah to correct his mistakes. :p

Naruto

So Madara was pulling "I am not left handed" the entire time and actually can just destroy the entire planet with his Goku powers and now will just die randomly because Edo Tensei is over? This is really dumb, but I have a theory that Tobi will just use the Rinnegan-resurrection power to bring Madara back to life for reals since it would be a giant "fuck you" to basically say, "Madara is so violently overpowered he could kill all 5 kages at once," but then nobody kills him legitimately and he just dies because Kabuto let him go for no real reason.

Given Tobi was shocked when Kabuto showed him and seemed annoyed when heard that he was being used i don't think he would want to keep him around.

But Tobi as done a lot of things...

That's what happens when you lose track of a persistent and telling theme. The SS arc wasn't great because of just the battles. It was the progression, drama, and mystery surrounding Rukia's imprisonment. HM was similar in some regard with the unveiling of Aizen's plan, the adventuring, and learning of how HM works along with the espada. FKT, this arc, and others are just battle royales. There was tension in FKT with known antagonists and their surprise visits. But the central theme was completely empty. Same with this arc. It's just hollow, where revelations to the quincy will be like an "oh cool, that's how that works." Anybody who thinks this arc's untold stories matches up to the mystery of say the SS arc, would be clearly certifiably insane.

Kubo hit a high note early and got a near pitch later in the manga. And that's how Bleach will end.

SS still remains the best arc for me (though Aizen and Aizen 3 trolling in later arcs were pretty enjoyable)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All for the Messiah to correct his mistakes. :p

Given Tobi was shocked when Kabuto showed him and seemed annoyed when heard that he was being used i don't think he would want to keep him around.

But Tobi as done a lot of things...
Maybe, but perhaps he'll just be close to death and decide to fuck everyone over by doing it. I imagine there's more to Edo Tensei unless Kishimoto really fucked up since we never even saw what the "drawback" to it was.

cdyhybrid

Bleach: B+

Before this chapter, I kind of didn't even think anything of that Rose dude. He was just kind of there, in the background. But now he looks like a goddamn boss and I actually want to see his fight. I feel like Kubo is putting more into each individual battle this time...even the set ups feel epic.

Speaking of the setups, there were so many in this chapter and the pacing was on point. Renji + Byakuya? Goddamn son. Also, I feel like Yogi Bear is going to get murked. Ice Princess has got a fight with someone we don't know, but SHUNSUI is also on the battle field. I REALLY want to see more of him fighting with his awesome Shikai. Especially considering that the Quincy wear all white.

This is really showing how boring Ichigo is (outside of when Zangetsu/Hichigo shows up) in comparison to the captains and such.

The Sternritter have some really dumb names. Bambietta... <3

Kubo will set it up like Shunsui is going to surprise his opponent with that ability and crush him for wearing all white, but all it will turn out to be is an opportunity for him to show how broken the Quincies are. The guy will probably absorb his swords' reiatsu and shoot it back at him.

Bleach
This reminds me of the Karakura town arc. It's nice that they got some of the match-ups set up, but this war doesn't feel like it's on a grand scale at all. It's just like the fake Karakura town arc, only with a couple of deaths in the beginning. Of course it's early on so you never know, but there should have been hundreds vs hundreds by now and not just a gang killing them all off-screen. This is like some gang on gang fight again.

It'll feel more like a war when the captains start going down.

Naruto
The Good: I actually said "Holy Shit" out loud when Madara cut TWO mountains in half. Goddamn son!

The bad: Everything Else. Seriously. What the fuck? All this time for...that? Madara is a fucking moron and stupidly overpowered. Five Kages at once? You still fail to kill them? Not only that, but they weren't even 100 percent when they showed up? You're shitting me right?

Then there's Sasuke. "I love you brother!!! But FUCK KONOHA YO! DESTROY GRR!!!!" Fuck is this shit?

Then we cut to Naruto who's apparently battle worn...wait...WHAT?! Are you SHITTING me right now? Kishi implied that Naruto's new powerup was on a whole nother level and when we FINALLY switch back to him, he's injured and shit? Get THE fuck out of here.

Bleach:

Their names are pretty retarded. I like the setup. Hope Kubo constantly switches POVs and not focus on a single fight unless absolutely necessary. Hope we get some good backstory on the Vandenreich as a whole.

Tamanon

Banned
Komamura and.....Ukitake will bite it, then Yamamoto will jump in to try and save things.

I think Ukitake will, just because it'll finally allow Rukia to make Captain at the very end.

789shadow

Banned
I have a feeling Bambi will curb stomp Komamura and then be the one who lets us see Unohana finally fight.
I don't think Unohana will end up fighting My Waifu. I want to say she'll fight As Nodt, but they look like clones of each other, so probably not.

Also, anyone noticed that Ukitake is fighting Quincy Colonel Sanders?

Arachnid 17

12987940ca64.png

Nope. I can accept the cockroach fluid, the giant leaps for mankind, the HOLY SHIT THREAD EVERYWHERE, but I cannot accept that any school would ever appoint her as student council president.

Dresden

Arachnid 17

Nope. I can accept the cockroach fluid, the giant leaps for mankind, the HOLY SHIT THREAD EVERYWHERE, but I cannot accept that any school would ever appoint her as student council president.

From what I remember of the student council in my high school, they were composed of the worst sort of career builders and whores. I will not mention what part I played in such a council.

survivor

Banned
Nisekoi

So is the MC a lying cheating scumbag who ended up making a promise with two girls? I'm very confused by this shitty manga

Zekes!

I always wonder what happens to the girls who lose in a love triangle, especially ones who are like impossibly in love with the MC

do they just end up living depressing lives of unrequited love and having to settle for marrying a poor, fat chump?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toriko

Shimabukuro is the master of raep faces. Seriously.
So Chin's loss was due to feelings, shows just how much Food Honor matters.
Otake in a combo with more hair than Sunny. Hmmm.

Zekes!

I decided I should read the FMA manga. I watched the original anime as a teenager, but I've never touched the manga. I just saw that it's only 108 chapters; should be pretty easy to tackle.

Esch

Banned
Toriko

Shimabukuro is the master of raep faces. Seriously.
So Chin's loss was due to feelings, shows just how much Food Honor matters.
Otake in a combo with more hair than Sunny. Hmmm.

I think the combo is with Midora. The hair is a dead giveaway

I HATE LOOKING AT CHIYOS FACE

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The general shitty-ness of Naruto is not enough to make my mood go sour right now. No, not even the sinking Onodera ship in Nisekoi is enough. And no, nothing can damper my mood right now...

Since Fire Emblem Awakening is confirmed confirmed to have a NA release FUCKKKK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Zekes!

The general shitty-ness of Naruto is not enough to make my mood go sour right now. No, not even the sinking Onodera ship in Nisekoi is enough. And no, nothing can damper my mood right now...

Since Fire Emblem Awakening is confirmed confirmed to have a NA release FUCKKKK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

hug me bro

Mr. Fix

1260654216225.gif

Cool manga week, Gaming redeemed. Feels good.

Kreed

Magi 106:

I can't believe that whole thing wasn't a dream sequence. I was waiting for Alibaba to wake up for most of the chapter until Morgiana got beaten up.

rouken

One Piece

Shit's going down, i think zoro and company will be the ones facing the slime. while luffy deal with ceasar because he would not let himself be captured that easily considering his df is gas. and i wonder where is the harpy girl

flawfuls

Spirit Circle 1

Yay a new Satoshi Mizukami manga. Is it just me or is the art a lot worse then Sengoku Youko? Oh well I'm sure it will be good.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car

I can relate to what you're saying, hell, I agree with most of it.

A lot of what Bleach relies on is intrigue, and since Bleach is character based, intrigue towards the characters and how they meld with the plot. As you said, the intrigue was at its highest in the Soul Society arc because Kubo introduced a slew of new, interesting characters that were not only integrated into the central plot, but brought exciting battles.

As such, with intrigue, it can be subjective. Some people can be intrigued by certain things or characters and others won't be intrigued by those same characters. Even you said that the Espada (and the intrigue behind them) played a part in what made HM good. I know that there were some people who weren't intrigued at all by the Espada, and as a result, were not thrilled by HM because of that.

FKT was, as you said, a Battle Royale, there was no intrigue to be had because it was good vs bad or whatever. And this basically meant Kubo had to live off of the fights and pacing. Fights were great, pacing was bad.

Fullbring, yet another arc that relies on intrigue. If one is intrigued by the Fullbringers and how they intermingle with the plot, they will like the arc. I, personally, didn't give a fuck about any Fullbringer except for Tsukishima, and I didn't really like the arc. I wasn't intrigued by their story or any of them individually. This was capped off by the bad ending to their arc which I believe even the most ravenous of Bleach fans would have to admit was inexcusable.

This arc relies heavily on intrigue once again. The intrigue in the Quincy, and the particular Quincy in this arc along with how they will eventually mix with the plot. I know that you've personally said that you are not impressed by these particular Quincy.

I am, and I know a lot of others are. I really want to know more about the Quincy backstory, and definitely want to know about how Ishida (and his father), one of the mainstays, will fit into all of this. Sure, this is another "war" just like FKT, but there are two main differences: 1) This time there is intrigue behind the overarching plotline. Who are these characters/Where did they come from/What are their motives/How will this all tie in to the main plot/What is Ichigo's relation to this/...these are all things that were answered in the FKT arc before it happened, or at least while it happened. In this case, we'll still find out. I'm intrigued and there are questions to be answered, not just fighting. 2) Kubo has apparently improved his pacing compared to the FKT arc, but we'll be able to tell that for sure once the fighting starts.

Combine that with the fact that this is the final arc, where Kubo has made some promises on tying up some plotlines, and that he may have more liberty with what to do as far as making decisions with finality...and I'm interested.

Of course, if you don't care about the Quincy...that will fall through immensely. I can understand.

Ratman 17 - 32
End of the arc, what will happen next ?
I predict a moment à la Spiderman 2 where Shouta will lose his mask and everyone present will comment on how young he is and preserve his secret identity

It's just me beeing cheeky
The whole "Ratman costume" making Shouta going berserk, with the monstruous open mouth, the transformations of it, and him losing grip on reality, plus his fight with Kreioss and the journalist's commentary : "What ? The black guy fighting the white guy is actually the good guy ? @_@" made me think of Guts vs Griffith

Bleach

Ahahahahaha.

Not done by me.

KHR

The past 5 chapters have been amazing. I love the fact that Reborn acknowledge that Tsuna does not have chance against Jager.

Toriko

Wait a minute. Master Chin get wrecked in 2 seconds, without even touching her, yet Toriko makes her bleed? WTF? Every chef in the Bishokukai is Midora´s combo.

Articalys

The anime version of Medaka Box finally hit the first major turning point today (vs. Unzen, first activation of Altered God Mode). Shame it ends in two more episodes.

Also, for some hilarious reason, they changed the part where Medaka saves the other three by hiding them in a locker to rolling them up in a floor rug instead.

Dresden

My fellow brothers of smutgaf
the dreaded Wednesday has passed
Thursday is upon us
let us partake in the lord's glory.

Oldie (extremely NSFW):

[Shiwasu no Okina] Sei So Tsui Dan Sha
I have not read more than twenty pages of this

Steroyd

Naruto

Yeah, it makes it seem so fucking rediculous that Sarutobi (the third hokage for those like me who have nearly forgotten). Held off the 1st AND 2nd hokage's while keeping Orochimaru in check.

What the fuck!?

Retcon: And to think Sarutobi was scared shitless when Oro attempted to revive the 4th hokage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom