• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

Naruto

So the First Hokage fought Madara & 9-Tailed Fox(full power) and won. What cool jutsus did the first know that could counter the sharingan? Wood release, healing, death god technique... That doesn't seem like enough.

This disconnect is due to Kishi's ridiculous power inflation of the Sharingan, and his outright neglect of expanding on Hashirama in particular and the Senju clan in general. The Senju clan is suppose to be this super powerful group of shinobi that can go toe-to-toe with the Uchiha and their Sharingan. But Kishi never show this; it's implied and even outright said, sure, but you never get the sense it's true because Kishi never show anything to back up the hype. This isn't the case with the Uchiha clan, with Kishi giving the Sharingan another overpowered move every other month. Then you got the mary sue called Itachi which further re-enforces the notion of Uchiha clan superiority. Kishi's Uchiha wankery is one of the worse things about this manga.

Lain

Happy! vol. 11 PE
9eac7234f04886c88c66e1b03e69c0af26a46fcc.jpeg

A couple of things bothered me this volume, but there have been a lot of things I quite liked. Keiichiro, in a last stretch, seemed to have found his balls. They are small and don't make him too manly, but at least he finally found them. Too bad about what he did before that. Now to see what he'll do in the future.
I feel sorry for O-kiku, but I also have to wonder... she knows Choko is a whorish bitch, how did she not see that coming? But at least
she tried to beat her up physically (which I'm all in favor of, Choko deserves it and much, much more))after Choko went to rub it in and was completely asking for it. Too bad for the consequences of that.
Yakuza guy Sakurada... I hope for his well being in the next volume, since what he did in this one was ballsy and quite cool, though way too risky.

scy

Nisekoi 28 - "OH NOS MY FAMILY GANGSTERS AHHH" -> "lol np"

C'mon man. Just ... just c'mon.

Also, moe faces to 11 and Onodera deathblow. RIP guys.

gunbo13

Nisekoi

So is the MC a lying cheating scumbag who ended up making a promise with two girls? I'm very confused by this shitty manga
Like you didn't see that shit coming from a mile away.
do they just end up living depressing lives of unrequited love and having to settle for marrying a poor, fat chump?
Every time.
I know that you've personally said that you are not impressed by these particular Quincy.
I like the traditional Quincy. And would have loved to see them up-rise in that calm and calculating matter. You know, like a bunch of cool character bosses. But the problem there is that they don't seem evil, which makes it tough to sell. Kubo though could have intermixed more aggressive characters where the Uryu family had to decide between loyalty and morality. Maybe some sort of Caesar back-stab, changing sides, etc... But that's tough writing. Kubo went the easy route with some lunatic Quincy sect to make instant evil antagonists. He isn't developing another Aizen character...when I think he should. A Quincy Aizen should be the main antagonist (this guy isn't it no matter what some people say). The same with the diversity of the troops. It's just a poor arc setup so I can't back it.
Combine that with the fact that this is the final arc, where Kubo has made some promises on tying up some plotlines, and that he may have more liberty with what to do as far as making decisions with finality...and I'm interested.

Of course, if you don't care about the Quincy...that will fall through immensely. I can understand.
I want to know about the loose ends even if they disappoint (many likely will). As for the Quincy as I stated, I like them. Just not these Quincy abominations which is smearing everything I enjoyed about the group in the manga. It's one thing to have a rogue sect but the divergence is way too big. It makes me imagine that these types of Quincy were inter-mixed during the war. Like a battle front of barbarians and tacticians. It kills the lore. That's really my biggest issue.
Aoi Hana and Princess Jellyfish

Fuck the rest
Where are your Princess Jellyfish posts? Have you seen the bossness of Hanamori yet? /swag

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I like the traditional Quincy. And would have loved to see them up-rise in that calm and calculating matter. You know, like a bunch of cool character bosses. But the problem there is that they don't seem evil, which makes it tough to sell. Kubo though could have intermixed more aggressive characters where the Uryu family had to decide between loyalty and morality. Maybe some sort of Caesar back-stab, changing sides, etc... But that's tough writing. Kubo went the easy route with some lunatic Quincy sect to make instant evil antagonists. He isn't developing another Aizen character...when I think he should. A Quincy Aizen should be the main antagonist (this guy isn't it no matter what some people say). The same with the diversity of the troops. It's just a poor arc setup so I can't back it.
We can have this talk about the Quincy again after a bit more happens. I want to see more about these Quincy before I decide. Just because this initial war is happening first doesn't mean there isn't plenty of room for development; whether we'll get that is another question. If I see their backstory, the history of the Quincy, Buckbeard's history with SS, and how the Ishidas relate...and if it's still no good, I will have no problems conceding to you that this was a bad, no, terrible set up. I think it's a bit early; Kubo has jumped into the war quickly.

And yeah, Beam made some good points about the fact that the Quincy are apparently grey. We don't know if they are evil yet and that's the good point. We've been given hits all this time that SS is a pretty shitty organization, why do we have any reason to believe that the Quincy weren't the ones dealt the shitty hand in the past and are now realizing their vision of justice? But, like I said, it's too early to tell, so we can revisit this again after more happens.

Like you didn't see that shit coming from a mile away.

Every time.

That´s exactly the point. The quincies are human, and they have a cause. You might not have paid attention but 5-6 chapters ago when the explanation about the quincies happen, the shinigami said that both sides were right. The whole point of this war that both of the sides are wrong. Shinigami have done plenty shit deeds in the past and will do in the future. Shunsui said once, there is no good or evil in a war. Both sides are evil since war is evil. This war has much more implication and blood than arrancar and shinigami.
I want to know about the loose ends even if they disappoint (many likely will). As for the Quincy as I stated, I like them. Just not these Quincy abominations which is smearing everything I enjoyed about the group in the manga. It's one thing to have a rogue sect but the divergence is way too big. It makes me imagine that these types of Quincy were inter-mixed during the war. Like a battle front of barbarians and tacticians. It kills the lore. That's really my biggest issue.
How do you know that these quincies are lunatic cult, and just not people seeking justice/revenge upon the shinigami for what happened to them? How do you know that the quincies don´t have any plan on how to deal with the shinigami? They were preparing, that´s why they can seal bankai. That´s why they invented Volstandig, so that they become stronger. Saying that the quincies don´t have strategies is false.

Naruto

Wohoo! Edo Tensei is over! that's pretty much the only good thing I can say about the chapter besides Madara's epic attack that slashed two mountains. The war can finally progress now. Funny how Kishi didn't show Madara when he was jumping around displaying the impact on all the zombies. Probably will show Madara doing one last big attack early next chapter and have him interrupted by the release. Sucks that there's no chapter next week so we can officially find out if Madara succumbs to it, never know when an ass pull might occur.

Bleach

Set up chapter is set up chapter. At least there are a few captains I like alright so should enjoy some of the fights. Arc should start getting more entertaining from here, hopefully.

One Piece

That was awesome to see a result of Luffy's training with haki against a logia user. Smoker was beyond his ability to even attempt to fight all series long and at last he can hold his own against these logia users without a gimmick. I'm a little surprised that Caeser is going to fight at the same time as the slime, but they shouldn't need Luffy for the slime and it seems Oda is ready to move on which I'm on board for! Let's find out Law's plan and confirm who the target emperor is! Hopefully these fights go quickly, never was into monsters as opponents (outside of comedic scenes like Luffy one-shotting a sea king for food).

Reborn

Not bad, there was no ass pull of Reborn hyping Tsuna up to take out Jaeger already when he shouldn't be strong enough to deal with him which is good. Reborn has basically given up on him which is a twist for the series and it's really a mystery as to how things will progress from here as it seems like it's lose lose for Reborn and the other arcebelano. Is this really going to be the end of the series and the arc's will sacrifice themselves to end the cycle by killing checker face? I can't imagine this series would go on long without Reborn. As for Jaeger, there's still the possibility that Reborn is 'pretending' to doubt Tsuna as a new means of manipulating him to get stronger and overcome this obstacle which sounds like something this series would do. That would be stupid. If Tsuna finds a way to get stronger and defeat Jaeger, it better surprise Reborn. Anyway, good chapter and has been good for several chapters now, crazy.

Fairy Tail

Way to give away your trump card, Cana haha Anyway, not much to be excited for this chapter but I look forward to seeing Laxus fight next chapter.

gunbo13

We can have this talk about the Quincy again after a bit more happens. I want to see more about these Quincy before I decide.
My issue is more with the actual personalities and how they are presented. There may be some interesting twists but I hate the group of them. I don't even like their designs. So the best scenario would be getting a good back-story on shitty characters. The true Quincy though, I like.
That´s exactly the point.
What do you mean that's exactly the point? That's the point I just cited. Why do you think I wrote that?
The quincies are human, and they have a cause. You might not have paid attention but 5-6 chapters ago when the explanation about the quincies happen, the shinigami said that both sides were right.
You mean the ambiguity of the war we have known for like 100 chapters? Yes, I paid attention.
How do you know that these quincies are lunatic cult, and just not people seeking justice/revenge upon the shinigami for what happened to them?
Cause they are lunatics? It's a group of sociopaths who are ALSO seeking revenge. It reminds of bad antagonists in anime/games that have a reason for revenge, yet have that seething/lunacy which doesn't really match it. The divergence between this group and their sibling Quincies is a major issue. Unless they got fucked up by some human experimentation or something... If Mayuri poisoned them, I'm back on board.
How do you know that the quincies don´t have any plan on how to deal with the shinigami? They were preparing, that´s why they can seal bankai. That´s why they invented Volstandig, so that they become stronger. Saying that the quincies don´t have strategies is false.
Yea, they are a regular bunch of geniuses... It's just a group with a few special powers that invaded SS. And they have barbaric attitudes and practices. So yea, I'm not going to label them masterminds even if they might be above some of the more stupid antagonists in Bleach. You're stretching.
They are in the anime thread
You better keep reading after the watch. Shit gets way better.

Solune

Aoi Hana and Princess Jellyfish

Fuck the rest

You'd make Laughing Banana and flawfuls sad because apparently Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko is pretty good!

The full list of manga

Code:
Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime                  130 votes
It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular!        106 votes
Vinland Saga                                   98 votes
Aoi Hana                                       82 votes.
chihayafuru                                    70 votes.
Anthing Seinen or josei                        48 votes.
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō                         43 votes.
Mysterious Girlfriend X                        35 votes.
Ashit no Joe                                   35 votes.
Cromartie High School                          29 votes.

Amusingly, they spelt Ashita no Joe wrong, and I'm pretty sure Cromartie High has a ton of volumes published but got dropped?

Amusingly, they spelt Ashita no Joe wrong, and I'm pretty sure Cromartie High has a ton of volumes published but got dropped?

1. Users can suggest series so it probably just got autoapproved somewhere
2. ADV was publishing Cromartie years ago but they went out of business. I think the last published volume was like 9 or 10 but that was what, 2005? A long time ago in any case. The full series is 17 volumes

upandaway

Holy shit, so I look at the mess of my readlist and I see of all things Mel Kano with a new chapter. I'm not kidding, it's there. I wouldn't lie on this week.

Fat chance I'm reading that, though, before I'm 100% sure the group sticks to it. Otherwise it's not worth waking up all those Mel Kano brain cells.

Lain

Seems Vertical is fielding requests for what manga people would like licensed (NA). Here

Leading choices are

Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime
Its Not My Fault That Im Not Popular
Vinland Saga
Aoi Hana
chihayafuru

Someone vote for Aoi Hana, Chihayafuru and It's not my fault etc for me!

Holy shit, so I look at the mess of my readlist and I see of all things Mel Kano with a new chapter. I'm not kidding, it's there. I wouldn't lie on this week.

Fat chance I'm reading that, though, before I'm 100% sure the group sticks to it. Otherwise it's not worth waking up all those Mel Kano brain cells.

I was becoming certain I wasn't going to see this one continued ever again.

upandaway

Big Order

:lol of course, shouting at her good will when she's in labor makes her blush. That's almost on par with Lynn's women.

Also the entire nuke business got silly very fast.

Nononono

God damn, this manga needs to calm down. I can't take this.

That was blood from his mouth right there.

Toriko

It's been true for a while now, but it still bugs me a little how the knives and forks are completely real. For a while I thought it was just really elaborate imagery, but then the spoon guy used the spoons to lock her in and their fight was blocked from view of everyone else.

Also did Midora ever have a cloaking ability? Because I'm pretty sure that was a cloaking ability.

gunbo13

Raku used to have a twin brother named Roku. Raku promised with Chitoge, Roku with Onodera. Onodera went yandere and killed Roku even though it was Raku who was running with Chitoge. But her mind split that day and she refused to believe he was gone. So she believes Raku was her promised one and Roku never existed. That is until the memories return...

Shit just got real.

OceanBlue

I always knew that bailing out of Team Onodere was a good idea.
I thought I was going to be on Team Onodera until Komi finally decided he had enough fun beating us and finally gave us a mercy killing. Apparently the manga will go down before that happens.

scy

Raku used to have a twin brother named Roku. Raku promised with Chitoge, Roku with Onodera. Onodera went yandere and killed Roku even though it was Raku who was running with Chitoge. But her mind split that day and she refused to believe he was gone. So she believes Raku was her promised one and Roku never existed. That is until the memories return...

Shit just got real.

Nisekoi x Higurashi would make things a lot better.

Dresden

I thought I was going to be on Team Onodera until Komi finally decided he had enough fun beating us and finally gave us a mercy killing. Apparently the manga will go down before that happens.

I'm just sad there won't be a reverse trap end, a.k.a. Tsugumi end.

Actually good manga with characters who are obsessed only with killing one character need to be more numerous.

Big Order 8 - 9
tumblr_m59k2ra6kS1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Stunning action, stunning Eiji, stunning everything. Really cant wait to see how much larger scale intense next chapter gets.

Articalys

Beelzebub

lol Behemoth joined the show

Also, gratuitous Aoi fanservice.

Also, I wasn't aware the guys translating Nisekoi were stuck a week behind.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Shit just got real.
This would be the BEST.

Kreed

Claymore 127:

Wait you mean this series isn't over?!? Even after that random ending that obviously wasn't an ending but for some reason people thought it was ending anyway? Amazing.

Anyway, the chapter itself was just set up, but it's good to see we're finally moving towards bringing Claire back into the story. She's been gone for so damn long I thought the author had forgotten about her.

Claymore 127:

Wait you mean this series isn't over?!? Even after that random ending that obviously wasn't an ending but for some reason people thought it was ending anyway? Amazing.

Anyway, the chapter itself was just set up, but it's good to see we're finally moving towards bringing Claire back into the story. She's been gone for so damn long I thought the author had forgotten about her.

Wasn't part of the explanation that it would be continuing under a different name or something?

Actually good manga with characters who are obsessed only with killing one character need to be more numerous.

Big Order 8 - 9
tumblr_m59k2ra6kS1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Stunning action, stunning Eiji, stunning everything. Really cant wait to see how much larger scale intense next chapter gets.

It's Mirai Nikki's author's new series right ? Something about a boy wanting to destroy the world iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom