• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im breezing through ratman, and i must say im surprised at how it is. its not as bad as i thought it would be.

La storia della Arcana Famiglia 1-2
tumblr_m0qr3mkoww1qf5h6bo1_500.jpg

Misleading review of it being a shoujo version of reborn. Regardless it is pretty interesting. I think it has potential to have cool action for this mafia universe type story. Five of the character designs are pretty cool, and the main character seems to have to actually take part in the fighting so it cant possibly be dull. Dont know if I will continue or just wait for the anime. IM curious how it will end, will she end up with one or just not anyone since she seemed to have no interest in the prize for the Arcana tournament, but then she was to repay everyones kindness...

survivor

Banned
The Walking Man

This is a pretty relaxing manga about a guy that likes to walk. He walks to random forests, goes in the middle night and swim, walk in the rain, chill with his dog, has a walking contest with a random dude, and likes to explore new areas. Very relaxing.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
La storia della Arcana Famiglia 1-2
tumblr_m0qr3mkoww1qf5h6bo1_500.jpg

Misleading review of it being a shoujo version of reborn. Regardless it is pretty interesting. I think it has potential to have cool action for this mafia universe type story. Five of the character designs are pretty cool, and the main character seems to have to actually take part in the fighting so it cant possibly be dull. Dont know if I will continue or just wait for the anime. IM curious how it will end, will she end up with one or just not anyone since she seemed to have no interest in the prize for the Arcana tournament, but then she was to repay everyones kindness...
So is it a shoujo series? Its designs are very different from the shoujo norm

PK Gaming

Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer

Mikazuki is the single best thing thats ever happened to this manga.

God I hope their plan to destroy the planet earth fails... I really, really do.

EDIT: The manga is starting to get really good...!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Well that is true, it took me quite a long time to even come up with the thinking that they just have to be exhausted or something, hopefully Kishimoto surprises or even I willl start to cast some doubts.
The cages are window dressing. They were done once they beat Sauce raw and near dead.

It's all about Naruto now.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The cages are window dressing. They were done once the Raikage Sauce raw and near dead.
Fixed. Oonoki used one move. Tsunade wasn't even there. Gaara saved Sauce from one event. Mizukage tried hitting on him and used a couple of jutsus.

These are the five kage.

If this was the Third? Even in his old years...he would've fucking beat the shit out of Sasuke. Alone. With no problems.

But you're right, it's all about Naruto now.

It's not the greatest action manga ever. The characters sort of bleed together and it progresses to over the top crazy. Like chess games with assassins, jungle warfare, fighting flying robotic killing machines, etc... But it is good for that. It is definitely a manga "worth reading."

Yea i'll try to check it out when i get the chance

Fixed. Oonoki used one move. Tsunade wasn't even there. Gaara saved Sauce from one event. Mizukage tried hitting on him and used a couple of jutsus.

These are the five kage.

If this was the Third? Even in his old years...he would've fucking beat the shit out of Sasuke. Alone. With no problems.

I'm still surprised the 3rd in his old age took out the 1st and 2nd Hokage during his match given how we are hearing how fucking broken the 1st was so it just doesn't add up imo (either the 3rd was the ultimate boss or Kishi is retroactively trying to make the 1st good; kinda like how he tried with Gaara's dad).

Agreed @ the bolded

PK Gaming

Wow Yuuhi's really grown on me, I was wrong about him before. I might enter him into manga hall of fame characters, because he's damn awesome. Eh, he fights against the mage despite being weak, and doesn't afraid of anything.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Mizukage would've killed him if not for Lemon Zest spritzing Sauce away.

Fuels my theory that Tobi is short for Sarutobi and he's the mastermind behind all this.

(I doubt his soul was trapped by Oro's hands.)

I'm still surprised the 3rd in his old age took out the 1st and 2nd Hokage during his match given how we are hearing how fucking broken the 1st was and it just doesn't add up imo (either the 3rd was the ultimate boss or Kishi is retroactively trying to make the 1st good; kinda like how he tried with Gaara's dad).

If the 1st could do half the shit we know he could do now the 3rd would die very fast .
Which really does make seem that Kishi now making him super broken to hype Madara since he now has some of his DNA .

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm still surprised the 3rd in his old age took out the 1st and 2nd Hokage during his match given how we are hearing how fucking broken the 1st was so it just doesn't add up imo (either the 3rd was the ultimate boss or Kishi is retroactively trying to make the 1st good; kinda like how he tried with Gaara's dad)

I don't think... I don't think Kishi has really thought back then that the power scale would turn out to be like today, where everyone just go crazily kamehame-ing their opponents. That's why the 3rd battle was so "subdued" like that.

Anyway, I would like to say thanks to Flawfuls for directing me to BABY STEPS. What a fascinating manga for a tennis fan like me. The author does seem like he knows his stuff, and all of his depiction to the harshness of the tennis world has been pretty apt and on the spot so far. The strongest character so far is a character ranked 200 in the ATP! Really gives a perspective the kind of hardwork that top players like Federer or Djokovic must endure to get their position.

It is doing a very admirable job in bleaching all the horribleness of Prince of Tennis from my mind.

survivor

Banned
Mushishi vol 1

This manga is giving me a vibe of Natsume and Mononoke. A lot of the backstories and the atmosphere seems out of Natsume while the mystery is more Mononoke-like. Still not fully following the whole Mushi thing, but not a big deal. The art is serviceable and good. Jst wish it had more details in the characters.

That dreams guy story was pretty sad. I thought if he dreams of his family back he can somehow revive them. Loved the ending to it with the whole pillow thing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mushishi was good for a while until I realized it's basically the same story over and over again except with different mushi.

Verelios

It's the thought of it that pisses me off. This plot twist pretty much destroyed FT for me.

I..don't understand. After everything else that Mashima has done "Magic for tommorow" "Gajeel losing to subs" "Natsu eating lightning only to get heartburn" "Mirror Gerad" "Lucy~Ellie" "Zeref being emo weak", this was the straw that broke the camel's back!?

At this point, I would just go along with it. You're waist deep in the shit, and you can only paddle, drown, or wade.

Wow Yuuhi's really grown on me, I was wrong about him before. I might enter him into manga hall of fame characters, because he's damn awesome. Eh, he fights against the mage despite being weak, and doesn't afraid of anything.

Yea it was the same for me (thought the guy was fucking annoying early on) but he really does get better.

Dog Knight's death/sacrifice made the impact/difference imo

If the 1st could do half the shit we know he could do now the 3rd would die very fast .
Which really does make seem that Kishi now making him super broken to hype Madara since he now has some of his DNA .

Pretty much but i guess you could somehow rationalize it as the 2 holding back (since they were forced to fight a friend) plus the 3rd had to ending it quickly due to their fucked up traits from that technique.

I don't think... I don't think Kishi has really thought back then that the power scale would turn out to be like today, where everyone just go crazily kamehame-ing their opponents. That's why the 3rd battle was so "subdued" like that.

I think so as well and its also reminding me of how Dragonball ultimately turned out.

Even remembering when one of the Anbu was watching the match and commenting on how its a truly high leve battle makes it even more jarring :p

Zekes!

Medaka Box 138

Like it was said, totally saw Zenkichi's ability being something like that a mile away.

I also started reading Bakuman over the last few days, and it's been pretty dece so far. Only up to chapter 12, though.

Sophia

Bakuman 171

Script? Azuki don't need no stinking script to beat the other 19.

The focus on Azuki is nice, and I really enjoyed the insights into the fellow voice actors in this chapter. However, I wish it had come some 100 chapters earlier when Azuki needed the character development, not seemingly near the end like this. Would have made this entire recent arc far more powerful.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I AM A HERO

My God this manga is really, really, really, really, really and truly a nightmare fuel. So many disturbing and downright horrifying/creepy scenes O________________O

The art is VERY well done, though. Fits perfectly to the tone of the manga.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The art is VERY well done, though. Fits perfectly to the tone of the manga.
I can't bear to read it precisely because of this.

There is no need to make the zombies so fucking creepy.

And then add to that the hallucinations.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I can't bear to read it precisely because of this.

There is no need to make the zombies so fucking creepy.

And then add to that the hallucinations.

Hahaha, no way man. This manga's version of zombie is very well done. It should be scary and creepy, although I can see why some people might be uncomfortable reading it.

The swollen "diiiiick..." girl for instance, hahaha. I'm honestly surprised by that. It's so awesome.

MCD

I..don't understand. After everything else that Mashima has done "Magic for tommorow" "Gajeel losing to subs" "Natsu eating lightning only to get heartburn" "Mirror Gerad" "Lucy~Ellie" "Zeref being emo weak", this was the straw that broke the camel's back!?

At this point, I would just go along with it. You're waist deep in the shit, and you can only paddle, drown, or wade.

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER

Griffith

Banned
Me and the Devil Blues

This is so good.

Anyone know what the status of this is? I've seen some people say it was cancelled and done, and others saying it was cancelled/on long hiatus but may be coming back?

flawfuls

Me and the Devil Blues

This is so good.

Anyone know what the status of this is? I've seen some people say it was cancelled and done, and others saying it was cancelled/on long hiatus but may be coming back?

It's been on hiatus for years and the author has moved on to other manga (currently Prison School) so I thought he had ditched it, but apparently he wrote somewhere that he was might go back to it.

barbapapa said:
There was a notice in a chapter of one of his other manga (a follow-up to Ago-nashi Gen) at the end of 2010 where he stated he's aiming to wrap up the first "part" of Devil Blues (fyi Devil Blues went on hiatus in 2008). So it might continue one day all the same, with the outlook of at least a second part. It's a straw, but hey it's better than hearing it's officially canned.
What's probably more troubling, is the fact that a continuation probably won't be published in English at all. Del Rey's out of the game, and I can't imagine it sold well enough for another publisher to pick it right back up again.

I am a Hero

Still Waifu material.

Better waifu material than ever before.

Griffith

Banned
It's been on hiatus for years and the author has moved on to other manga (currently Prison School) so I thought he had ditched it, but apparently he wrote somewhere that he was might go back to it.

Thanks. It's good to hear he might continue it sometime in the future.

Azure J

Medaka Box

How is it that no matter how I look at this, Zenkichi now has THE most broken ability ever conceived in the manga medium? Goddamnit NisiOisiN, just when I thought the series would wind down with a whimper, you introduce something that changes up everything in its apparent simpleness/mundane qualities. :lol

Wiseblade

They were in stasis! Frozen in time. How COULD they have changed?

Mashima's done a lot of really stupid plot points, but that's not one of the worse ones.

I'd say it's up there.

Wiseblade's top 5 dumbest moments in Fairy Tail

5) Natsu eating electricity to powerup

4) Natsu's electricity powers being permanent

3) Frozen in time-skip

2) Edolas crap (Lisanna being alive and Mystogan existing)

1) Using tomorrow's magic, today

I could probably come up with worse stuff if I sat down and though about it, but I don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom