• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Medaka Box

How is it that no matter how I look at this, Zenkichi now has THE most broken ability ever conceived in the manga medium? Goddamnit NisiOisiN, just when I thought the series would wind down with a whimper, you introduce something that changes up everything in its apparent simpleness/mundane qualities. :lol

dat trollin

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Medaka Box

How is it that no matter how I look at this, Zenkichi now has THE most broken ability ever conceived in the manga medium? Goddamnit NisiOisiN, just when I thought the series would wind down with a whimper, you introduce something that changes up everything in its apparent simpleness/mundane qualities. :lol

i must be missing something. could you explain it?

Kreed

Vagabond 301:

Never thought I'd be reading this again. Very good return chapter and the art was great.

Magi 82:

Aladdin and Sinbad were pretty funny this chapter but I was happy to see the empire show up at the end so that the story can move forward.

Articalys

The World God Only Knows 181

To say something other than just an "OMGOMG" post...
This is what happens when you don't tell the real truth of what's going on to the girl that you brutally shot down in flames.

survivor

Banned
The World God Only Knows 181

To say something other than just an "OMGOMG" post...
This is what happens when you don't tell the real truth of what's going on to the girl that you brutally shot down in flames.

Stop trying to be different or else

uqlVB.png

gunbo13

So I read the latest chapter of Air Gear

I don't have the foggiest idea what the heck I just read...them skates though
Sounds like any chapter of Air Gear.

Until We Meet Again Punpun (v03-09)

-Good vibrations

Sachi makes this manga. Wait, it was Yuichi last time? Well, Yuichi is basically a possible future of Punpun. He has served his purpose and now is settled down in monotony. I believe Midori loved Punpun more then she will ever Yuichi. Both Punpun and Yuichi reference mental instability. Punpun gets more points with his streaking however who knows what else Yuichi did. There is much to say here regarding genetic illnesses and such. But we shouldn't get into that too much. The message is more that the feelings of these two are not unique. That's also one thing both of them don't really get. Part of their poor perceptions is them believing that they are in this uniquely monotonous world. When in fact, everyone is in it and there are even those close by who think the same way. In fact, everyone at times has similar thoughts but they have the ability to change gears. Yuichi and Punpun need significant support to change tracks.

The rest of the manga is full of questions and few answers. Cliffhangers are still open including the latest and biggest. And things from the past like, did the manager really bring a couple boys along to clean up a dead body? Was that to just clean the place? That confused me a bit with the pants pissing and all. Punpun's latest "I love Takashi" is referencing how he desires his role as a person? Then, well there are the other 100 obvious questions.

It's a good manga but the success wholly depends on the person being covered. And only then is it successful if they are interacting with someone interesting. There are rarely any moments when two engrossing stories are told in the few volume span. I understand that it is difficult to give proper care to everything but it just leaves you wanted to move faster through some areas. I'm not sure how I feel overall about the manga but it at least hooked me in a few spots. The really interpretive and spacey feel is also getting a bit tough to swallow. The more grounded drama is more enjoyable without the spacey stuff being too much. We'll see but I can only see success coming from Sachi, who easily outclasses everyone else.

Vol's in 3 (depression, isolationism, relationships)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Medaka Box:
How is Devil Style anything but a disadvantage?

survivor

Banned
Until We Meet Again Punpun (v03-09)

It's a good manga but the success wholly depends on the person being covered. And only then is it successful if they are interacting with someone interesting. There are rarely any moments when two engrossing stories are told in the few volume span. I understand that it is difficult to give proper care to everything but it just leaves you wanted to move faster through some areas. I'm not sure how I feel overall about the manga but it at least hooked me in a few spots. The really interpretive and spacey feel is also getting a bit tough to swallow. The more grounded drama is more enjoyable without the spacey stuff being too much. We'll see but I can only see success coming from Sachi, who easily outclasses everyone else.
But then it won't be an Asano manga

Volume 9 had one of the bestest manga cliffhangers of all time.

Haly

Read A Girl By The Sea for grounded Asano.

If you haven't already.

gunbo13

But then it won't be an Asano manga

Volume 9 had one of the bestest manga cliffhangers of all time.
I just like the spacey stuff a bit more evenly delivered. It's like Asano turns it on and off instead of spreading it out. All of a sudden Pegasus is coming out of dimensional doors in people's apartments while they sleep/dream and on TV running for president. In earlier chapters it was more subtle and had more tension cause of it (sometimes just in the art). I don't want any of it to go but I do wish it was delivered a little more evenly.

Yea...that cliffhanger indeed. But I'm with Sachi so everyone else can piss off.

Azure J

The World God Only Knows

*Click Me*

i must be missing something. could you explain it?

His Deus Ex Machina is to make Deux Ex Machina inapplicable to anything on a wide spectrum when he's involved. Whatever happens just happens on the strengths and merits of the folks moving towards their goal. Within the confines of manga storytelling, that's kinda big. :lol

Haly

His Deus Ex Machina is to make Deux Ex Machina inapplicable to anything on a wide spectrum when he's involved. Whatever happens just happens on the strengths and merits of the folks moving towards their goal. Within the confines of manga storytelling, that's kinda big. :lol
It only affects himself, if the translation didn't mislead me.

Basically he's removing his own plot armor.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It only affects himself, if the translation didn't mislead me.

Basically he's removing his own plot armor.

It seems to effect him and anything he interacts with - like with the example of an attack not missing at the last second, if he does something to someone else, that person will also have to play by his rules.

Haly

It seems to effect him and anything he interacts with - like with the example of an attack not missing at the last second, if he does something to someone else, that person will also have to play by his rules.
if it could indeed be applied offensively, Ashinin and Naze wouldn't have reacted the way they did, would they?

I thought it was something like that too but I reread it a few times and realized their following dialog contradicts that interpretation.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
if it could indeed be applied offensively, Ashinin and Naze wouldn't have reacted the way they did, would they?

I thought it was something like that too but I reread it a few times and realized their following dialog contradicts that interpretation.

but they also say that now everyone in the election, not just zenkichi, is playing by those rules....

though you might be right, I'd need to thoroughly reread the chapter to be sure.

gunbo13

Read A Girl By The Sea for grounded Asano.

If you haven't already.
7bVNE.jpg

And the next post no less...tsk tsk.
Goodnight Punpun 7

Punpun imagination and reactions are the best thing ever.
I cant imagine this manga if Punpun was drawn like a human.
The Punpun family design allows more artistic freedom. You are not bound to drawing two human models interacting or have one basically block the view of the other. It was quite a strategic idea.

Haly

I can't be expected to keep track of all of mangaf's personal reading lists!

Anyway I recommend A Sexbuddy by the Sea every chance I get so it was reflexive.
but they also say that now everyone in the election, not just zenkichi, is playing by those rules....

though you might be right, I'd need to thoroughly reread the chapter to be sure.
I think it's just the particular mix of Nisio Isin's obtuse writing style and shoddy translation that's messing everything up.

Zenkichi's ability is just really vague and I honestly have no idea how Nisioisin is even going to show it. I mean what I get from the explanation is "things play out the way they logically should". That also kind of makes it impossible for him to win though.

gunbo13

I can't be expected to keep track of all of mangaf's personal reading lists!
I thought that was your shtick?
It makes his angst cooler cause he looks funny.
It also allows Asano to convey his feelings beyond facial expressions with Punpun's evolving designs. I don't care who you are, you feel happy when Punpun breaks out of his negative form to see the normal skinny ghost dude.

It also allows Asano to convey his feelings beyond facial expressions with Punpun's evolving designs. I don't care who you are, you feel happy when Punpun breaks out of his negative form to see the normal skinny ghost dude.

Punpun vision of what God is, is quite ... Argh, I cant put words since I was used to see God Beard avatar. I am still shocked to that realization. And first page of chapter 6 is shocking.

gunbo13

Also just for the record, the sex scene with Midori was hawt. I don't care how morally reprehensible it was to everyone. Too bad she sold out.

My two favorite characters are Sachi and Masumi.
fWVSD.png
lLmG8.png

Haly

You sure I'm an appropriate target? Isn't that like going hunting and shooting the dead ducks?
Oh yes, one can never have enough perversion.

Punpun v9
This is awful, we're right back to where we started with his stupid fucking self pity.

Needs more Shimizu and Seki.

Lol this fucking cliffhanger.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru

Trolling bears a heavy price. At least Bert's going to present a minor challenge to Takumura this way.

Ippo:

If Saeki doesn't retire after this I'll be shocked. Itagaki is dismantling his only claim to relevance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom