• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

-_-

Banned
I almost want to see her fail, just to see the character development that would come from her and Mashiro.

The biggest fault of Bakuman is they never quite showed Azuki's character well. She's always kinda been a background character despite being a main character. Plus they waited too long to introduce fellow voice actors, like I said earlier.

Having her fail for once would do wonders.

Of course, that means Bakuman would last longer so they probably won't do that.

Has Ohba ever written and developed a good female character? I mean seriously look at Misa from Death Note and the female characters in Bakuman. I feel like they're all plot devices to get the story moving along.

Highly doubt she'll fail (I want her too) but there's just too much set-up at the moment.

cntr

Banned
I should start reading more manga regularly again, eh. I haven't been reading anything regularly nowadays except One Piece.

What do you mean? I think the only shift I noticed was that it seemed like they just rushed to conclude it, they really could have explored more worlds and such

The only thing I struggle with was keeping both Syaoran's apart.

Well the shift of tone when they arrived at the acid rain Tokyo was pretty abrupt.

Sure a lot of the stuff was hinted, but stuff ended up being a lot more dark than you'd expect. Also the rest of the worlds ended up being more drab and less vibrant (outfits reflected that).

Currently rewatching cc Sakura for the hnnng, does the anime cover all the manga or does it do an original ending thing?

And xxxholic is surprisingly fun. Reminds me of that anime with the dude and the fox spirit thing that's still on.

survivor

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/TcKXs.jpg?1210[img]

Guys, I think I have a fetish for detective stories. The detective flashback in Lucifer and Biscuit hammer really has my attention. It really gets my blood pumping when they start talking about MO, murder, and method of escape. I also played the visual novel, [url=http://www.gungnir.co.jp/innocentgrey/products/pro_shell/download/images/shell_wp_b.jpg]Kara no Shoujop[/url] which ended up being one of my absolute favorite reading experiences ever.

So what i'm trying to say is... any awesome top tier detective manga's? (barring detective conan)

EDIT: Hiwatari is an absolute badass, I wish she had a bigger part in the manga (swoon) ♪[/QUOTE]

Read Pluto. It's a kickass detective/sci-fi manga

Cookie18

I can't find the first ten Battle Royale volumes for a non extortionate price anywhere but eBay. I don't suppose anybody could recommend somewhere to get them from? Preferably somewhere that ships, cheaply, to the UK.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So if I buy a digital manga from Viz Media, I can download it right? It's not just unlocking it or whatever? Do they have an android app? I'd like to have it freely available on my phone and computer.

Also, does anyone legally sell digital Kamen Rider Spirits?

Sophia

Has Ohba ever written and developed a good female character? I mean seriously look at Misa from Death Note and the female characters in Bakuman. I feel like they're all plot devices to get the story moving along.

Highly doubt she'll fail (I want her too) but there's just too much set-up at the moment.

True. I didn't really expect it form Death Note tho given it's a murder mystery from the point of the murderer. Bakuman being a Slice of Life Comedy/Drama Romance however makes Ohba's flaw all that more apparent. At least he(?)'s trying now. =P

tenchir

History's Surprisingly Low Amount of Fanservice 467 - Seriously, could there have at least been something to Miu's convenient unconsciousness? So so so awful. Also, inevitable bad guy-good guy switch for her father.

I always assumed it was Miu's father who killed her mother, but now I changed my mind once he was shown. It's possible an unknown party killed Miu's mother and Saiga wanted vengeance against that party. But since Ryozanpaku is against the idea of using martial art to kill, he decided to join Yomi instead. Out of all the Yomi's masters, only that mask guy seem to be a true villain.

scy

I always assumed it was Miu's father who killed her mother, but now I changed my mind once he was shown. It's possible an unknown party killed Miu's mother and Saiga wanted vengeance against that party. But since Ryozanpaku is against the idea of using martial art to kill, he decided to join Yomi instead. Out of all the Yomi's masters, only that mask guy seem to be a true villain.

Besides their whole killing people thing, like 90% of Yami seems to be basically "good" guys. Junazard is the only outright evil one; Kushinada may be if she actually does things besides just kind of be mean.

And, well, all the non-masters (and the weapons division as a whole) seem to be pretty shitty people :x

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Bleach

So the Bleach anime is ending on the 27th (fully confirmed now). Who wants to bet the rankings on Bleach will take a slump worse than the one it had during the Fullbringer arc?

Wiseblade

Bleach

So the Bleach anime is ending on the 27th (fully confirmed now). Who wants to bet the rankings on Bleach will take a slump worse than the one it had during the Fullbringer arc?

Does it really matter? By this point Bleach has earned immunity and is in its final arc. Rankings are more than irrelevant.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Does it really matter? By this point Bleach has earned immunity and is in its final arc. Rankings are more than irrelevant.

You never know. Shaman King's anime was cancelled and it lead to downfall so bad the manga was cancelled too (and only came back thanks to Stan Lee).

Anime would affect manga rankings (in JPN)?

Yes. Sket Dance saw a big boost after it got an anime.

PK Gaming

You never know. Shaman King's anime was cancelled and it lead to downfall so bad the manga was cancelled too (and only came back thanks to Stan Lee).

Yes. Sket Dance saw a big boost after it got an anime.

What, seriously SK's anime got cancelled which led to the anime getting cancelled? Urgh. Stan Lee reviving it, now that I didn't see coming. I love that guy.

DTL, what the flying fuck is up with your avatar.

Wiseblade

Except IIRC, Shaman King was never as big as Bleach is. Unless Bleach's volume sales somehow drop off a cliff in the final arc (which isn't going to happen) Then it'll get a proper ending.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bleach volume sales at their lowest were more than most manga could ever hope for...I don't think anything will happen to the manga. Latest volume sales are already higher than the fullbring arcs prior sales. I'm sure its because people were excited that the shinigami returned. I doubt the will drop any lower than 450k first week from here on out.

So much love for DTL's avy. So kawaiiiii

PK Gaming

I was browsing the years worth of naruto fan art on my tumblr and thought it looked cool enough to use for an avy, theres just something about it.

You can't be saying that with a straight face, there's just no way.

Are you secretly a troll? Up until now I thought you were a person with exceedingly bad tastes in everything... now i'm not sure.

You can't be saying that with a straight face, there's just no way.

Are you secretly a troll? Up until now I thought you were a person with exceedingly bad tastes in everything... now i'm not sure.

This just came to your mind just now lol.

Anyways the avatar is stating the truth until Kishi decides to prove otherwise. :p

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Fanart? Fuck NAW!

UPnEH.png

You motherfuckers can't handle the truth!

Cafe Detective Club 22

And Nana and Touma's relationship progresses. When this Touma guy was introduced (the series is about a group of five girls, and he's one of the girls' brother) I was afraid it might go in a harem direction, particularly given that this author's other series is Nagasarete Airantou, but it hasn't at all, so far at least. Instead, the romance has been between Nana and Touma only. As for the other girls, the one who is his sister doesn't like that Nana and Touma seem to like eachother, but not incestuously so, fortunately. The other three don't have any romantic partners so far.

Of course, the series is about multiple things, not just romance, so that's just fine. This is part mystery series, part about schoolgirls (in an all girls school) with a cafe, part slice of life comedy stuff... and yeah, I do like it. It's at least as good as Nagasarete Airantou at least, maybe better.

Anyway, in this chapter, as I said, their relationship progresses. They've exchanged email addresses now, though how Touma's denying that he likes her to his friends after sending her a text saying how he liked how she looked in her bathing suit, I'm not quite sure. :p In addition, in this episode they finally get going with asking questions about the mystery they have to solve. Everyone seems to expect that they'll fail -- and they probably will, with the one girl in the club good at mysteries not allowed to participate -- but maybe they'll pull something off... I mean, given that the losers of this contest get dropped on a deserted island, wouldn't that just be a little too close to the guy's other series? :) (And yes, he kind of lampshades this in chapter, as several of the girls say how they wouldn't mind being on desert islands, and one mentions Airantou. :lol)

Given that this guy writes Airantou though, I don't really expect plot development to exactly move along at a quick pace... but who knows, he might surprise me this time, we'll see! This series is solid so far at least.

Saki 94

Saki... you'd better recover soon and start winning some points, you have a lot of ground to make up and if you don't finish in at least second you'll never see Teru... but instead, this chapter is about several of the other girls in the match. That's alright though, it's a good chapter as always. This is a pretty tense match...

Oh, and this chapter sees a change in the match, too -- there's a lead change! Saki's still in third, but the second place girl passes the first place one. The ending promises that next chapter, the fourth place girl (the huge breasted girl from the miko team)'s going to make a move... I wonder what she'll do, what is her power? And on the note of powers...

Saki: Achiga-hen: Episode of Side-A 8

Another long, ~65-page chapter, except this one's not covering a lot of ground -- instead, it's entirely about this one round of the match, and it's still not over too. That's fantastic, because detailed, long mahjong matches is probably the thing most missing from Achiga-hen up to this point, so it's just great to see some now, even if it is quite likely nearing the finale (because can this series really continue much past this match? It seems unlikely...).

As for the chapter's events, sort of like in the main Saki series, most of this chapter focuses on one of the other girls in the match and not Kuro, the Achiga girl in this final round. Unfortunately, while she really wants to beat Teru because she lost to her last year, she can't in the end, I think, because only two can move on, and Achiga and Teru's team have to be the two, right? Unless Achiga loses, but that seems unlikely. Poor her. But she's trying hard here, and has an interesting power too -- she can see what'll happen in the next turn. However, if she then uses that knowledge to change the future, she'll not be able to see the future for two turns. ... Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous, but hey, if Amae Koromo can cause a blackout, why not this too...

And anyway, she's failing to keep up even with this knowledge. Teru's just too good for them, she's running away with it. She's gained almost 50,000 points already I believe, and the match is far from over... Of course, the second place team moves on to the finals too, so Kuro doesn't have to beat her, but just get second and hang on, but still winning much at all's a challenge against Teru. Teru's quite dominant in this chapter. Given how she's supposed to be one of the best highschool mahjong players in Japan, though, you'd expect that.

So yeah, overall, it's a good chapter in a good series that's part of a franchise I definitely like.

The two series below are not nearly as good as the three above, but eh, I'm reviewing what I've read of them so far anyway.

Banana no Nana 1-7

Shonen action manga starring a girl with powers based on bananas. She seems to be heading towards a harem too, as she's up to two other girls now and there are yuri-baiting themes (and no male characters in sight apart from villains). Apparently this series is only four volumes long, but while shonen action is something that often bores me fairly quickly, this one's alright so far. Not great, but alright. (Oh, and yes, there is some fanservice.)

Despite the comic theme and beginning, this series does have serious parts as well; it's not all comedy. The way adventurers are treated is quite outside the norm for manga or anime, for instance. This stuff adds a bit of depth to it. Like, after the main character and her tsundere best friend set off from their anime-feudal Japan-like nation, trying to reach the legendary country in the far west, they enter the second nation, which naturally is known as the nation with lots of maids. I mean, of course. But... the story arc that results is actually on the serious side, so while there is a maid, it's at least not just all fanservice and stupidity.

Pantser Princess 1-4

This is a newer series by the same person as Banana no Nana. It's got a lot of the same style as the first one, though it hasn't gotten to very serious stuff yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it does eventually though, and it couldbe about to given on what happens next. It does have probably more fanservice than the above series, as the title sort of suggests, but has some other things in common -- it again stars a young girl, this time a super-shy princess sent on a quest by her mother the queen (quite the opposite of poor Nana from her banana farm in a rural village), but with a similarly adventurous result. She's got a female knight as her guardian, and a superpower that gives her a skimpier costume but boosts her powers. Apparently, sort of like in Ultimate Girls, being shy gives her more power, so her mother cruelly raised her to be shy, knowing that it'd make her stronger now...

Oh, and naturally, her super-mode costume sort of looks like a maid dress. Of course. Her mother's is different -- she shows it off once, it basically looks like shorts (or was it a skirt? I forget), suspenders, a cloak, and nothing else -- but the daughter gets a more maidlike costume. And that gets to another similarity between this and the above series -- most male characters are villains. They're either villains or random townsfolk, pretty much, the goodguys are girls. I of course like when female characters are strong enough to defend themselves, but it is unfortunate when it's done in fanservice-heavy ways like this.

Articalys

Kimi no Iru Machi 175

I've never seen a series remain so devoid of substance for such a prolonged period of time.
I don't even know if I have a real reason to keep reading this each week. I'm just going through the motions, which is apparently the same thing Seo is doing.

Also, the first OAD was released with volume 17 a few days ago.

Verelios

Kimi no Iru Machi 175

I've never seen a series remain so devoid of substance for such a prolonged period of time.
I don't even know if I have a real reason to keep reading this each week. I'm just going through the motions, which is apparently the same thing Seo is doing.

Also, the first OAD was released with volume 17 a few days ago.

You...you have not read Suzuka have you? Most boring first few volumes, rage inducing following volumes and Seo~trademark ending.

And yet, the entire point of the manga was: What was it? I don't know. Hell, I doubt Seo even knows.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
with the newest issue of the breaker, it seems the main is finally out of his bitch made mode, which is good for me.

iavi

with the newest issue of the breaker, it seems the main is finally out of his bitch made mode, which is good for me.

Yeah, leading the clan has to take some backbone. Shouldn't be long before he's bodying fools like he was at the end of the first series.

---

Prison school

AWKWARD.

dumbyugi

Saki 94
The match has been alright so far and it's been pretty tense but I just want Saki to hurry up and bust out some beastly hands already. I wish the author would focus on this more then Achiga-hen but oh well.

Saki: Achiga-hen: Episode of Side-A 8
Teru is as beastly as suspected and if I understand what it's hinting at then she's normally even more beastly then this. I don't really like how fast they go through the games but I imagine the anime will flesh them out a bit so that's alright.

Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu 31
This is one slow moving romance, I mean nothing happened this chapter besides Nagato blushing alot. Plus Asakura was only in one panel and she's the best character in this series.

I also started re-reading Pysren and I forgot how good it is. It really should have gotten an anime, maybe then it wouldn't have been axed.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah, leading the clan has to take some backbone. Shouldn't be long before he's bodying fools like he was at the end of the first series.

and vowing to destroy the SUC too. its about to get good from here on i hope

and i should re read the breaker.... but theres too much self loathing before you get to the creamy badass end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom