• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I can never disagree with you on Fairy Tail, same to all points.

Too many plot points? Fairy Tail is quite simple for the tournament, theres just two things going on, this isnt like One Piece with an endlessly expanding universe or bleach with many points branching off of an infinitely repeating linear pattern.

Not too many points. I just find it all stupid.

Azure J

Punpun v9
This is awful, we're right back to where we started with his stupid fucking self pity.

Needs more Shimizu and Seki.

Lol this fucking cliffhanger.

For real, Punpun crawling out of depression and self pity has always been the better part of this series.

So I just finished up Tsubasa Chronicles

And extremely shocked that I understood like 80% of it. Might just be me, but I love theories and what not in my media.

I still do think having a dozen or so 'same characters' does get a bit annoying and the whole bad guy predicting everything gets tiring.

btw: did something change halfway? The tonal shift was really abrupt. RL problems? Manga attracted older audience?

Now to blast through xxxholic! bwahahaha. Mokona is still the best stuffed blob around.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Because the tetrahedron is the most stable of polygons.

GOOD VIBRATIONS.

neoanarch

Represents his pathetic/depressed self.

Represents Punpun closing himself off from the world. I want to buy this so badly. I wonder if I can import it from europe or singapore in a language I can read.

Dorohedoro

There are a few people that I know off reading this. Its a slow release so it doesn't get brought up very often.

Verelios

And extremely shocked that I understood like 80% of it. Might just be me, but I love theories and what not in my media.

I still do think having a dozen or so 'same characters' does get a bit annoying and the whole bad guy predicting everything gets tiring.

btw: did something change halfway? The tonal shift was really abrupt. RL problems? Manga attracted older audience?

Now to blast through xxxholic! bwahahaha. Mokona is still the best stuffed blob around.

Hohohoho. Oh man. You are a better man than me sir. A far better man than me. Have you read Cardcaptor Sakura yet though? I'd ask people to read it in this order: CS>XXHolic=TRC. Only then, does the true mind fuck begin.

The "bad guy who knows everything" also makes alot more sense after XXX. Clamp multiverse is weird.

Edit: A Girl By the Sea Vol. 1
What the fuck did I just read. In one of the later chapters..was he...with? Was that...yeah? Lube? Man, this shit is surreal.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Edit: A Girl By the Sea Vol. 1
What the fuck did I just read. In one of the later chapters..was he...with? Was that...yeah? Lube? Man, this shit is surreal.
Compared to the rest of Asano's work this is extremely grounded in reality!

TWGOK

My Prediction: Chihiro is deliberately setting herself up as the antagonist in the relationship in order to avoid the scenario that Keima was worried about. She is sacrificing her friendship with Ayumi and making herself the villain by trying to break them up. The recording proves nothing but that Keima really wants to get with Ayumi and talks weirdly, hardly shocking revelations. If Chihiro wanted to actually sabotage the relationship, she would try to guilt trip Ayumi instead of taking this aggressive tact.

The panel showing Chihiro remembering Keima's rejection has to be a distraction. The recording was taken when they entered the house, meaning Chihiro had already conceived of her plan at that point. I think her words to Keima immediately after that were sincere, and that she hasn't forgotten seeing the Vintage agents trying to interfere.

I suspect the confrontation will end with Ayumi and Chihiro having an argument and Ayumi storming out angrily, determined to be with Keima and unencumbered by any guilt regarding Chihiro. Or something along those lines.

iavi

Beelzebub

That was a pretty boring chapter. I really hope this baby-carrying copycat isn't but an inconsequential gag.

PK Gaming

TcKXs.jpg

Guys, I think I have a fetish for detective stories. The detective flashback in Lucifer and Biscuit hammer really has my attention. It really gets my blood pumping when they start talking about MO, murder, and method of escape. I also played the visual novel, Kara no Shoujop which ended up being one of my absolute favorite reading experiences ever.

So what i'm trying to say is... any awesome top tier detective manga's? (barring detective conan)

EDIT: Hiwatari is an absolute badass, I wish she had a bigger part in the manga (swoon) ♪

flawfuls

Magi Volume 1 - 8

Well this was pretty great, but I probably don't need to tell you guys that. So far it's easily one of the best shounen manga I've ever read. I just hope if stays as good as it is.

MCD

Any fans of Nurarihyon here? You guys need to watch season 2, forget that awful season 1 and jump straight to the awesomeness that is Hagoromo-Gitsune.

neoanarch

TcKXs.jpg

Guys, I think I have a fetish for detective stories. The detective flashback in Lucifer and Biscuit hammer really has my attention. It really gets my blood pumping when they start talking about MO, murder, and method of escape. I also played the visual novel, Kara no Shoujop which ended up being one of my absolute favorite reading experiences ever.

So what i'm trying to say is... any awesome top tier detective manga's? (barring detective conan)

EDIT: Hiwatari is an absolute badass, I wish she had a bigger part in the manga (swoon) ♪

Mystery manga?

Monster is really the only mystery manga I like.

Dorohedoro vol 12

Shit has been getting real lately. Kind of glad because I was getting tired of the screwing around. It was amusing at first because of how bizarre this world is, but it was time for some seriousness.

flawfuls

Raqiya vol 1

I really hate pretty much every single character so far. The only ones I don't hate are the friendzoned guy (who is honestly still kind of shitty character, but I already feel sorry for him inevitably getting NTRed) and this poor bastard:

I was rooting for him.

Solune

Maybe Kindaichi Case Files. Although that's not fully scanlated, but I've watched some adaptations, it's pretty good.
Any fans of Nurarihyon here? You guys need to watch season 2, forget that awful season 1 and jump straight to the awesomeness that is Hagoromo-Gitsune.

Not many Nura fans here, but there are a few of us. I might check out S2 for dat Kyoto arc.

Totakeke

TWGOK

My Prediction:
Chihiro is deliberately setting herself up as the antagonist in the relationship in order to avoid the scenario that Keima was worried about. She is sacrificing her friendship with Ayumi and making herself the villain by trying to break them up. The recording proves nothing but that Keima really wants to get with Ayumi and talks weirdly, hardly shocking revelations. If Chihiro wanted to actually sabotage the relationship, she would try to guilt trip Ayumi instead of taking this aggressive tact.

The panel showing Chihiro remembering Keima's rejection has to be a distraction. The recording was taken when they entered the house, meaning Chihiro had already conceived of her plan at that point. I think her words to Keima immediately after that were sincere, and that she hasn't forgotten seeing the Vintage agents trying to interfere.

I suspect the confrontation will end with Ayumi and Chihiro having an argument and Ayumi storming out angrily, determined to be with Keima and unencumbered by any guilt regarding Chihiro. Or something along those lines.

Damnit SPOILERS.

Lain

Paradox Blue vol 1
b85a53e88894fca4934bff421ad0e6194d00e1d8.jpg

I had initially passed on this, base on reading a preview of the first chapter. It seemed kind of stupid. But then grabbed it this month and I'm actually surpruised because it seems good enough. The whole "war" of Angels against humanity through riddles and trials that must be overcome is interesting in itself, but the best part, which I found out by reading the volume, is the whole hinting system so the reader can try and solve the riddles himself/herself, complete with bad ends for the wrong choices.
Cristia (oh this name, makes me think of female Jesus) seems a bit too optimistic to me, while the rest of the cast is a bit more to my liking (though scaredy cat Sojuro can become a little annoying).
The tone of the story seems to be kept light through some comedy and absurdity, even though there are people dieing and all.
I bought the 4 volumes published here, and I see it ends at 5. Will have to hope that comes out soon.
Also, I see someone scanlated chapter 9 just recently, so maybe the scanlation for this is picking back up again? Could be good for anyone else that might end up interested in reading it.

Raqiya vol 1

I really hate pretty much every single character so far. The only ones I don't hate are the friendzoned guy (who is honestly still kind of shitty character, but I already feel sorry for him inevitably getting NTRed) and this poor bastard:

I was rooting for him.

This getting scanlated? Nice, so you guys can take part in the stupidity with me!

TWGOK

My Prediction: Chihiro is deliberately setting herself up as the antagonist in the relationship in order to avoid the scenario that Keima was worried about. She is sacrificing her friendship with Ayumi and making herself the villain by trying to break them up. The recording proves nothing but that Keima really wants to get with Ayumi and talks weirdly, hardly shocking revelations. If Chihiro wanted to actually sabotage the relationship, she would try to guilt trip Ayumi instead of taking this aggressive tact.

Fully support this notion.

Keima, throughout the chapter, kept saying how Chihiro's efforts were completely undesirable. So her doing the exact opposite, no matter how "harsh" it comes across, might be a huge turn for the better.

A few things that I'm thinking about do crop up;

1. Chihiro being reminded of his harsh rejection, as you said, obviously wasn't "sudden" because she recorded most of the things he said. At the same time the reason she remembered it might still be relevant. This brings up point 2:

2. If you're right and Chihiro is doing this to help Keima, this means one thing that's of huge plot importance: She understands the game.

Knowing that something this "destructive" is exactly what Keima needs to win Ayumi over is game-master level territory, and I'm fairly sure Keima has never told Chihiro about it directly.

This to me, might mean that Chihiro being reminded of that very harsh rejection made her realise Keima, to conquer Ayumi, needed Chihiro to be ..well, hate-filled about it. She's only been friendly because she realised he's a robot on a mission, more so than just toying with people. But in Keima's original scenario this should/would never happen.

If it's true that Chihiro is trying to help Keima by doing this it'd probably make her the first character to actually show understanding of Keima's games. Which is quite interesting.

It could also be that she's literally pissed and is just doing this to mess with him, accidentally helping him in the process. But that seems less likely to me.

-_-

Banned
Bakuman
I'm only hoping she gets the part just so we can move on to Muto vs Eiji...or a better series. Honestly I think the creators of the series need work with different people again or do shorter series (no more than 7 volumes).

Hikaru no Go was good because the art and story quality picked up despite the story length and it was pretty realistic and enjoyable. Such a shame, up until the Saiko's hospital discharge, it was a really good series.

upandaway

Bakuman

Each and every one of the VA competitors is a silly one-dimensional character. I'm rolling with it but it's getting a little frustrating.

What do you mean? I think the only shift I noticed was that it seemed like they just rushed to conclude it, they really could have explored more worlds and such

The only thing I struggle with was keeping both Syaoran's apart.

scy

History's Surprisingly Low Amount of Fanservice 467 - Seriously, could there have at least been something to Miu's convenient unconsciousness? So so so awful. Also, inevitable bad guy-good guy switch for her father.

TWGOK 181 - Damn. Coldblooded.

survivor

Banned
Bakuman

Argh, this is soo bad.

If Miho wins cause of HER EFFORT AND LOVE AND READING FROM NO SCRIPT then I'm gonna rage.

Nobody gives a shit about talent of VAs lol

Sophia

Bakuman

Argh, this is soo bad.

If Miho wins cause of HER EFFORT AND LOVE AND READING FROM NO SCRIPT then I'm gonna rage.

Nobody gives a shit about talent of VAs lol

I almost want to see her fail, just to see the character development that would come from her and Mashiro.

The biggest fault of Bakuman is they never quite showed Azuki's character well. She's always kinda been a background character despite being a main character. Plus they waited too long to introduce fellow voice actors, like I said earlier.

Having her fail for once would do wonders.

Of course, that means Bakuman would last longer so they probably won't do that.

survivor

Banned
I almost want to see her fail, just to see the character development that would come from her and Mashiro.

The biggest fault of Bakuman is they never quite showed Azuki's character well. She's always kinda been a background character despite being a main character. Plus they waited too long to introduce fellow voice actors, like I said earlier.

Having her fail for once would do wonders.

Of course, that means Bakuman would last longer so they probably won't do that.

I just can't see her failing cause that means they need to make another anime.

Also I don't know how anime adaptations work when it comes to sequels but seeing how the third season is airing in Fall 2012, the manga needs to be dragged on till then correct? So that means at the earliest, we gotta wait till October for the manga to end.

Sophia

I just can't see her failing cause that means they need to make another anime.

Also I don't know how anime adaptations work when it comes to sequels but seeing how the third season is airing in Fall 2012, the manga needs to be dragged on till then correct? So that means at the earliest, we gotta wait till October for the manga to end.

The anime must do pretty well considering they greenlit the third season... before the second even hit it's halfway point? Something like that anyhow.

And if they are ending at the start of the third season, then that means around 30-40 more chapters. Which would be just enough time to have three more arcs given the way Bakuman goes through story arcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom