• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
I've always thought Death Note was rather mediocre overall. It's an entertaining story, but tries too hard to be something it isn't. The core message behind it is faulty and full of psuedo-philosophy, and overall if you're reading it you might as well be reading better detective manga like anything by Urasawa for example. I can never legitimately suggest Death Note to someone. Just read Monster and PLUTO.

survivor

Banned
I will take a potato chip and EAT IT

I've always thought Death Note was rather mediocre overall. It's an entertaining story, but tries too hard to be something it isn't. The core message behind it is faulty and full of psuedo-philosophy, and overall if you're reading it you might as well be reading better detective manga like anything by Urasawa for example. I can never legitimately suggest Death Note to someone. Just read Monster and PLUTO.
Pluto and Monster are guilty of that as well. Though it only gets bad near the end so the journey is still good

Big One

Banned
Pluto and Monster are guilty of that as well. Though it only gets bad near the end so the journey is still good
Huh? How so? Both of those challenge a lot of truly deep questions and feature fantastic cast of characters and deconstructions of various concepts.

Death Note was, and always will be: Was Kira good or evil? To me, that is simply hokey BS.

PK Gaming

It's great just to see Light got crazy in the end.

Still can't believe anyone--in the real world, I mean--would actually believe in his principles/actions, though.

IRIS ZERO

Just four chapters in. For being such an "outcast" the main character gets so many girls hanging out around him it's sort of funny in an absurd kind of way, hahaha.

A bit off-topic, I am now playing the game in your avatar. Just rather torn on either making my MC a magic nuke or a tyson punch punch punch.

Too bad the only decent Shin Megami Tensei's mangas are for Persona and even those are so slooooow.

TpvAf.jpg

I'd honestly go with what you prefer, since either strat is viable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And back on topic. You think we should make our own manga based on this thread's hijynx? It'd be the greatest thing ever.

survivor

Banned
Huh? How so? Both of those challenge a lot of truly deep questions and feature fantastic cast of characters and deconstructions of various concepts.

Death Note was, and always will be: Was Kira good or evil? To me, that is simply hokey BS.

I have nothing against the characters and concepts they introduce, my main problem is with the way both series concluded.

I can't really make a detailed post right now cause I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember I was disappointed by how much info/ideas they tried to jam down near the end.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Kira was evil there isn't really much to think about. What made the series good was L/Light's cat and mouse chase. Who got to who first. With L gone, the biggest appeal of the series is gone too. Near is shitty because he is just an L clone, nowhere near as charismatic.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
http://i.imgur.com/TpvAf.jpg?8810[img]

I'd honestly go with what you prefer, since either strat is viable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And back on topic. [B]You think we should make our own manga based on this thread's hijynx[/B]? It'd be the greatest thing ever.[/QUOTE]

We will have so many tsun-tsun characters if this thing is ever going to be made.

Also, for some reason I just saw the first post for this thread now. I did not expect to be included in the last thread's top 20 posters, so that was surprising. Although of course my post count still cannot be compared to the top dogs on the top spot, hahaha.

[quote="Error, post: 36159791"][B]Kira was evil[/B] there isn't really much to think about. What made the series good was L/Light's cat and mouse chase. Who got to who first. With L gone, the biggest appeal of the series is gone too. Near is shitty because he is just an L clone, nowhere near as charismatic.[/QUOTE]

Yep, can't see him as anything differently. I remembered reading somewhere that even the authors themselves expressed disbelief on to why people would actually root for Light/Kira. In their head Light/Kira has always been an evil guy.

Big One

Banned
Kira was evil there isn't really much to think about. What made the series good was L/Light's cat and mouse chase. Who got to who first. With L gone, the biggest appeal of the series is gone too. Near is shitty because he is just an L clone, nowhere near as charismatic.
I agree with this but I highly doubt that was the intent. Even the characters in Death Note questioned if Kira was good/needed or not. That shows that the authors intended for readers to interpret it on their own, even if they publicly deny it, I think the intent was there.

Witch hunter 67-68

The worst father awards goes to the damn emperor. He took over his son´s personality, and wanted to destroy his own sons. The wait for these chapters has been worth it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The power level jump with the first Hokage and Madara bullshit was really bad. Now if you can't wipe out a village in 2 seconds then you are weak.

After all of Madara's rant on the 1st, I gotta ask...

How the hell did he die?

Dude had perfect control over his body, and would heal better than Wolverine, he could make perfect clones of himself, and he apparently had nearly unlimited chakra.

Did Madara just give him a really bad dream or what?

Dresden

Witch hunter 67-68

The worst father awards goes to the damn emperor. He took over his son´s personality, and wanted to destroy his own sons. The wait for these chapters has been worth it.

Witch hunter was a guilty pleasure before it just totally went down the drain. Should've stuck to being a D.Gray Man ripoff.

The appeal to me was waiting to see Light get his comeuppance. Losing L was shitty, but I hated Kira so much (in a good way) and wanted to see how he was going to be taken down.

Kusagari

How the hell did he die?

Dude had perfect control over his body, and would heal better than Wolverine, he could make perfect clones of himself, and he apparently had nearly unlimited chakra.

We heard he died in a war. But considering what we know now, he should have been able to solo an entire war by himself. Only way it will be believable is if Madara pulled some crap to cause him to die.

Verelios

Witch hunter was a guilty pleasure before it just totally went down the drain. Should've stuck to being a D.Gray Man ripoff.

Oh, but it did~ Shamalayantwist.gif

But seriously, they both got kind of stale after awhile. I also liked Halloween better as a Pumpkin. What the fuck was with that plot point?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
We heard he died in a war. But considering what we know now, he should have been able to solo an entire war by himself. Only way it will be believable is if Madara pulled some crap to cause him to die.
Short of using the Rinnegan to yank out his soul, I don't see how.

smurfx

get some go again

How the hell did he die?

hur dur i heard he took an arrow to the kn...

y42asbixcs.gif

vareon

Yep, can't see him as anything differently. I remembered reading somewhere that even the authors themselves expressed disbelief on to why people would actually root for Light/Kira. In their head Light/Kira has always been an evil guy.

Do they? I remembered them saying whether Light is good or evil is up to readers. What they found strange is how many people want the manga to end with Light winning.

Death Note would've been in the God Tier had the series ended after L's death and she showed us what the world was like under "Kira's" rule. Fucking Near...shitting everything up

upandaway

uh he got a cold and still did stuff and died? you know in mangas doing stuff while you have a cold is super dangerous stuff.
Not only is it so incredibly dangerous, you can also catch it from the most bizarre things.

"Don't stay up too late! You could catch a cold!"

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Do they? I remembered them saying whether Light is good or evil is up to readers. What they found strange is how many people want the manga to end with Light winning.

That's just because L's replacement sucked.

Now I think about it, once Light killed L, it pretty much demonstrated that he was the "superior intellect" and that the game was over. The whole orphan contingency plan was FF8 levels of "... What? Wait.. WHAT?"

Lain

Cloth Road vol 7
c8b6702f10b7abc086abb98e13c642b815d22361.png

Wow what a volume. Lots of fighting and some backstory about Garment. Best part of the fighting was
June May came back on the scene and fuck, she kicks so much ass, she's awesome and ruthless.
Though, I'll miss
Kapisul. The way he was done, damn. =(
I don't like that Juliette decided to go out and fight at the end, because I don't want
June May to die like the Machu Picchu, Phero and Kapisul.

flawfuls

Asahi Nagu 1

What is it with Japanese highschool girls and clubs about old ass weaponry. Kendo, iai, archery and now naginata. Then again I always dig these sorts of manga so I'm not complaining.

Onward dopey glasses girl THE AMERICAN DREAM AWAITS!

dumbyugi

Nana to Kaoru 66

I really don't care for this stupid love triangle bullshit when Arashi already gave away that Tachi won't get anywhere with Kaoru. It was a pretty average chapter anyway.

I Have no Friends 23

Sena's the best of the main 2 girls easily, though Rika is the better choice, so this was an enjoyable chapter. Sena's Dad seems to have a similar relationship with Kodaka's Dad that Sena has with Yozora which is pretty amusing.

Hayate the Combat Buttler 355

Hilarious chapter as per usual, the final trade was great. This is easily one of the best manga I follow, I just wish the chapters were a bit longer.

Another

Decided to give this a shot. The mystery has me interested enough to see it through to the end but I really hate some of the characters. The worst thing is easily the translation though. The tense situation in the most recent scanned chapter was ruined by "You must apology". It was obviously meant to be apologise plus they make the same exact mistake again later in the chapter.

Soul Eater 96

The grand finale begins. It was abit hard to follow the action on the moon this chapter but Stein beating down Justin was pretty fucking cool looking even if Stein's madness form is a bit dissapointing looking.

D-frag 39

Kazama's Mum was easily the standout in this chapter though the ending was an excellent gag. This and Fukiwara-kun Mates are so damn similar that I was actually getting characters and situations confused between the two, even the art is similar.

Psyren

I'm nearing the end of my re-read and I've been enjoying it so much that I don't want it to end again. I'm still bitter this got canceled. It's a shame the last arc is so rushed, the fights are really good and the final twist would have made a nice fleshed out arc.

Well, i'm not mocking you bro, but DTL is clearly a dude. You can just "tell" from his posting style. Don't be fooled by his yaoi avatar, he's either a... unique individual

Hahah yeah. Actually a lot of people seem to be divided in two different but equal groups regarding to the bolded above. But even he's pleasant, to say the least. Amusing, not annoying.

tumblr_lyfwmkCwtG1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Well that sounds like a compliment so Ill take it, thanks.

*(one of the best panels in No. 6)

Psyren

I'm nearing the end of my re-read and I've been enjoying it so much that I don't want it to end again. I'm still bitter this got canceled. It's a shame the last arc is so rushed, the fights are really good and the final twist would have made a nice fleshed out arc.

Now Im pumped to continue reading it. With the final print monthly shonen jump out, Ive had to stop in like the 30's when Sakurako faced and defeated the guy using her epic scythe. I really wanted to see how Oboro and Kabuto and Ageha developed.

gunbo13

Anyways, started reading IRIS ZERO due to the screenshot gunbo13 posted.
I'm really sorry.
At the very least it is not going to as bad as the adventure of Haruto and his troupe of stupid people in KNIM........ right?
If it is better, does that really put you at ease?
Hahah yeah. Actually a lot of people seem to be divided in two different but equal groups regarding to the bolded above.
Who is divided on whether DTL is a troll?
If I was 12 years old, I'd use the ignore list.
What if you were 13?
And back on topic. You think we should make our own manga based on this thread's hijynx? It'd be the greatest thing ever.
God no...

Bossun

RRR Final chapter

Ummm.. It felt rushed. Not as bad as I imagined though. I'm just sad at how the potential of this serie was wasted.

scy

Catching up on Iris Zero, they really need to do some work for Higurashi/Umineko mangas. So good on the creepy atmosphere around women.

Also, insert 13 pages image here; I guess color pages count for four each?

gunbo13

Catching up on Iris Zero, they really need to do some work for Higurashi/Umineko mangas. So good on the creepy atmosphere around women.

Also, insert 13 pages image here; I guess color pages count for four each?
YmfxJ.png

No, they don't. Almost as lazy as the Tasogare chapter with the unfinished pages...

scy

No, they don't. Almost as lazy as the Tasogare chapter with the unfinished pages...

I thought
Tasogare was either getting canceled or the author was assassinated mid-chapter (or lost a hand or sudden onset Togashi-itis). It was bizarre. Then I realized I had more to go afterward so I figured "lazyyyy" worked.

gunbo13

I thought
Tasogare was either getting canceled or the author was assassinated mid-chapter (or lost a hand or sudden onset Togashi-itis). It was bizarre. Then I realized I had more to go afterward so I figured "lazyyyy" worked.
Yea, that shit was jarring. All of a sudden you got a bunch of sketches and figured the author gave up (or maybe your more fun examples). Kind of like the Kagami send off with the "I aint doing this shit anymore, don't ask, peace." That was pretty funny actually.

scy

He really should've put the effort for one more Kagami chapter. At least reach Chapter 30 before calling it quits. And maybe draw a figure of him bowing while saying "lol done with this shit~" before flipping the readers the bird and riding off into the sunset. Gotta be classy.

I'm just waiting for him to legitimately finish a series. It's bound to happen eventually.

upandaway

Sket Dance

The chapter was a bit silly but hahaha at that ending. Good shit.

Hayate

I couldn't spot a single reference besides the video... what the hell.

Hilarious chapter in any case

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Was the Negima ending really that bad?

I was thinking about starting it and reading it on my New iPad. Is Del Ray's Translation good enough?

Was the Negima ending really that bad?

I was thinking about starting it and reading it on my New iPad. Is Del Ray's Translation good enough?

It's pretty damn unsatisfying. Not enough to not start the series at all, but a few vital things did not get resolved while others got resolved with no buildup at all. It would be like if Berserk ended right now and all that was said was "And then Guts beat Griffith. The end." Maybe not that bad, but along those lines.

Nana to Kaoru 66

I really don't care for this stupid love triangle bullshit when Arashi already gave away that Tachi won't get anywhere with Kaoru. It was a pretty average chapter anyway.

Yea that timeline for Arashi while the actual series is still running is pretty dumb.

Its like the author needed a stupid excuse for Arashi other than more vivid "Breathers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom