• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
oh god brehs

i just finished mass effect 3 and it
depressed me so much
that i will probably enjoy naruto this week

oh god

I replayed Mass Effect from the very beginning of the first game before jumping to Mass Effect 3 and right now I just got Tali in Mass Effect 2.

I am wary though: people have been complaining left and right about the supposedly botched conclusion of the series. Apparently lots of them are heavily dissapointed by it.

Reading your impression doesn't make things easier for me :(

Oh well....

Yeay, new chapters for BABY STEPS are up!

survivor

Banned
Hey guys I made a small update to the OP to better reflect the current situation of this thread.

Hope you guys notice the little change :)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I replayed Mass Effect from the very beginning of the first game before jumping to Mass Effect 3 and right now I just got Tali in Mass Effect 2.

I am wary though: people have been complaining left and right about the supposedly botched conclusion of the series. Apparently lots of them are heavily dissapointed by it.

Reading your impression doesn't make things easier for me :(
The horrible thing is that the first 95% of ME3 was good fun and very well done.

But then...
PWqxt.png

Mokona2.jpg

Finish?

Didn't notice the 'time skips' for the later chapters due to Domeki and his grandpa and his great great grandson all fucking look the same! I heard the OVA has a more... conclusive ending... Still, the individual stories were fun enough. Was a chill ass manga though. Good stuff.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The horrible thing is that the first 95% of ME3 was good fun and very well done.

But then...http://i.imgur.com/PWqxt.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm >____________<

What's with WRPGS and their fondness for suck endings? Skyrim, Fallout, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon Age 2, and now this....?

Well, don't spoil it for me though, I want to see it for myself. Maybe my now-lowered expectation will help smoothing the impact a little.

[quote="survivor, post: 36190071"]Hey guys I made a small update to the OP to better reflect the current situation of this thread.

Hope you guys notice the little change :)[/QUOTE]

Is the ranking based on the amount of discussion about the manga? Like are you counting how many times the bolded title of a manga is mentioned in this thread?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
GE Good Ending 119

How he managed to pull that off I have absolutely no idea.
Too bad they still have no chance in the long run.

Is there any example of a romantic manga where the author pulled the, how should I call it, "Ichigo 100%" trick where the main guy doesn't end up with the "supposed" lead girl?

Can't think of any.

In all honestly I'm supporting Shou but I don't think the mangaka has any cajones to pull it off.

Yeah, you'll see for yourself and be able to judge for yourself. You've already got some type of expectations going in...I'll just put it like this: enjoy the ride while you're on it. It's a really fun one.

Might as well enjoy what can be enjoyed, yeah?

i know dat feel ;___;

My positiveness took another hit to reduce its HP to critical level!

Dresden

Laughing Banana: just enjoy the game, I think the game is great.

Then once you finish it just take a deep breath and remind yourself that there are other games left to be played. And stop yourself from tossing the discs in the trash. It doesn't hurt so much after a while.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Laughing Banana: just enjoy the game, I think the game is great.

Then once you finish it just take a deep breath and remind yourself that there are other games left to be played. And stop yourself from tossing the discs in the trash. It doesn't hurt so much after a while.

Hahaha. Now I'm really looking forward to it.

GOOD PERSON

The pain of a friendzone v___v

QXvfx.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Going to read this since it gives me a Devil Summoner vibe. Don't even know what it is or what I can expect, heh.

Tousei Gensou Hakubutsushi

uD6Wg.jpg

Woah... now that I have read the 1st chapter the supernatural shit makes the vibe even stronger.

Lain

Luck Stealer vol 2
e8488b3e4462760edfc40fd955fff3abe4cf0476.png

Liked this volume more than the first one overall.
The introduction of the police inspector by the end of the volume to complicate Yusei's life is one of the reasons.
Another is the first chapter of this volume. The story of a minor physically abused is a sad thing, but the end made up for it. Sweet, sweet turn of events as that teacher got what she deserved.

Articalys

Is there any example of a romantic manga where the author pulled the, how should I call it, "Ichigo 100%" trick where the main guy doesn't end up with the "supposed" lead girl?

Can't think of any.

In all honestly I'm supporting Shou but I don't think the mangaka has any cajones to pull it off.
I share the same sentiment as that last sentence.

How do you determine who the "lead" girl is in a romcom series when it's not clearly fixed from the start, anyway? Is it just by the "first girl wins" rule, or the one most featured on cover pages and such, or what?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I share the same sentiment as that last sentence.

How do you determine who the "lead" girl is in a romcom series when it's not clearly fixed from the start, anyway? Is it just by the "first girl wins" rule, or the one most featured on cover pages and such, or what?

Well in case of GE it's pretty much settled that Yuki is the lead girl, since she is the one featured in the oneshot that preceded GE. On that oneshot Yuki won while Shou got shafted due to the protagonist's shifting love from her to Yuki.

...and GE is born as a series due to the popularity of that oneshot. So Shou doesn't have a good chance in my opinion, actually... which is unfortunate.

Bet there's going to be something messing up their lovey-dovey moment next chapter.

neoanarch

Goodnight Punpun vol 5

I do wonder what other people see Punpun and his family as. I mean they are very clearly human but are just being drawn as birds. I'm sure there's some significance to that beyond just being bizarre.

not a major spoiler but

one of the characters draws a portrait of Punpun and he is sort of good looking

There is some significance in how they are portrayed. I always took it as a peek into Punpuns mind or Asano trying to communicate some complicated emotions or character traits.

Lain

Saki 86-94
53825f7e0b2bb06b0de87b564235159de0b440df.jpg

It's been a while since I read some chapter for Saki, and it's baffling how the author can get away with publishing so little for a monthly series. I mean, chapters of 7 and 8 pages?
I'm happy it's finally Saki's turn, but I'm not exactly liking that all the space seems reserved to the other girls instead of the main group. I wanted to see Nodoka own, and I want to see Saki own, but Nodoka's play was rather unimpressive and so far Saki didn't do all that much better, except for a couple wins.

Mael

A female character in Naruto, any other information like a name is irrelevant.

It's not any female character in Naruto, it's the epytome, the living example of Kishi not knowing how to write a female character.
Oh and she's useless in more sense of the word that pretty much anything.

iavi

Don't know why but I'm in the mood to read all sorts of manga.

KUROSAGI

onNEY.jpg

A manga about swindlers swindling swindlers... seems interesting.

It is. Great choice there. I paused on it a long while back since the scans had halted, but Kurosagi is an incredibly fun manga if you're into mind-games.

flawfuls

Mathematical Girls End

Honestly the end of the first volume would have been a better ending, but I guess this isn't the real end anyway. I hope somebody translates the sequels, but having different artist is going to be super weird.

uThum.png

It just doesn't feel right.

gunbo13

Well... now that I have read it more, at the very least, Iris Zero is... how should I say this... "inoffensive"?
The word you are looking for is "boring."
People seemed to argue on previous threads that he could be just a very, very passionate person. Not my opinion, but some apparently held that kind of opinion about him.
People also still argue that the world is flat. Doesn't mean it isn't bat-shit insane.
Goodnight Punpun vol 5

I do wonder what other people see Punpun and his family as. I mean they are very clearly human but are just being drawn as birds. I'm sure there's some significance to that beyond just being bizarre.
The drawings are supposed to portray Punpun and his family as ambiguous. If you have a face to everyone it becomes a story about that specific family, not necessarily "many" families. I spoke of this before but a main idea with Punpun is how ordinary the story is. The vivid imagery is almost to siimply remind you that you are reading a manga. The story also parallels the idea of children wanting to be adults to solve their problems and adults wanting to be children since they can't handle their problems.

And finally, the art is strategic. It lowers the amount of work and at the same time allows the artist to show details that wouldn't normally be seen due to the proportions. The changing shape of Punpun also allows the author to display his emotions/mental state without the need of facial expressions or dialog. So yea...the art choice is certainly a big part of Punpun.
Shuffle

PK Gaming

I hate to be a stick in the mud here, but Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth stopped being awesome when author started rehashing the same plot / art direction over and over again. Chapter 9 was absolutely ass, and it primarily made fun of Hinata (I really don't like Hinata) which really says a lot about that chapters quality. Naruto isn't gods gift to man, but sheesh are you being factitious or are you actually serious here >_>

Reknoc

I am, admittedly not entirely caught up with Rock Lee, but it's cute and entertaining. Naruto has sort of reached the point where it's like Return of the King; I'm getting kind of sick of it and need the loo, but I keep believing the ending is in sight, even though it never is.

The drawings are supposed to portray Punpun and his family as ambiguous. If you have a face to everyone it becomes a story about that specific family, not necessarily "many" families. I spoke of this before but a main idea with Punpun is how ordinary the story is. The vivid imagery is almost to siimply remind you that you are reading a manga. The story also parallels the idea of children wanting to be adults to solve their problems and adults wanting to be children since they can't handle their problems.

And finally, the art is strategic. It lowers the amount of work and at the same time allows the artist to show details that wouldn't normally be seen due to the proportions. The changing shape of Punpun also allows the author to display his emotions/mental state without the need of facial expressions or dialog. So yea...the art choice is certainly a big part of Punpun.

The MC and family represented as birds thing made it really jarring when i read it the first time.

Might go back to it someday and hope it won't annoy me as much. :/

gunbo13

The MC and family represented as birds thing made it really jarring when i read it the first time.

It's supposed to annoy you. As is Punpun changing his shapes. It makes you uncomfortable on purpose me thinks. It builds huge tension though when you get a view of Punpun's real look or his reversion back to his little twiggy self. The caricature of Punpun and his family are meant to be a templates. Readers who really like to identify with characters though will be throw off.

survivor

Banned
I hate to be a stick in the mud here, but Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth stopped being awesome when author started rehashing the same plot / art direction over and over again. Chapter 9 was absolutely ass, and it primarily made fun of Hinata (I really don't like Hinata) which really says a lot about that chapters quality. Naruto isn't gods gift to man, but sheesh are you being factitious or are you actually serious here >_>

A fanfiction manga is better than the original. Deal with it

You used to be cool

Chapter 10 is pretty good. Jet Lee XD

Doesnt give me much hope for the anime, I was already disappointed I didnt see much of Sasuke/Kiba in promo materials...then again will I really not watch it...

Springtime of Youth getting an anime just proves that everyone knows it is the superior product.

I thought it was just because the studio wasnt able to choose if they wanted to do another really long filler Bleach filler arc or find some new ip to animate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom