• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairy Tail

Is this the part where Sabertooth takes over RavenTail's obvious villain is obvious role?

I really wondered how FT [the manga] would deal with having two villainous/anti-FT guilds in the tournament.

Making one turn all evil right after the other one is removed should've been obvious.

/edit

I hate Fairy Tail so much.

Fairy Tail
tumblr_m75v1pQRei1r638tko1_500.png

I think the statement of making up for the chapters of missed opportunities of service definitely apply to this arc, the swimsuit/outfit contest and then this water sphere battle that somehow only had the ladies, was a rather, interesting choice I guess.

I was rather impressed with how Mashima handled this completely destroying my beliefs I had initially made, that is, that after Natsu speech that everyone on his team would feel empowered and win. I just don't know anymore if they can even be victorious now that they are losing again. :(

Oh well good at the end there with the looks from Sabertooth and Fairy Tail. Poor Sting, hes gonna get destroyed by Natsu now :( Though hopefully somehow he joins the guild, Im still hoping for.

Thud

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Phantom Blood

So I finally got around to starting Jojo! This was pretty entertaining, the art is very nice, even if the characters get a bit bulky and twisted at times. Zeppeli was the best character,
too bad he had to die. :(
I don't really have any major complaints, but overall it felt like it just lacked a bit of a spark to make really enjoy it. Apparently it only gets better from here, though, and Phantom Blood was fairly entertaining overall, so it'll be fun to continue.

Phantom Blood is the beginning. Part 2 has a better jojo. You'll be rewarded for your effort.

(SDCC) Looks like BLue Exorcist and Takama-ga-hara are joining viz weekly shonen jump alpha here, so I guess the full contents of alpha are really

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Barrage
Toriko
Takama-ga-hara

BLue Exorcist
Ruruoni Kenshi: Restoration
Yugioh Zexal

Berserk 330

Whelp, at least that's over. Didn't seem like much point. Like... at all. I mean, maybe if old guy is going to be brought into the story, but even then...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The issue I have with Alpha getting new series like Barrage and Takamagahara is Jump's cancellation trigger finger. Low rankings = easy cancellation. Of course, the volumes could sell really well and avoid this, but it's far too early to tell.

I don't think Nisekoi will happen since it's "not action-oriented enough". I'd say put Kuroko's Basket there but Viz hates sports manga.

The issue I have with Alpha getting new series like Barrage and Takamagahara is Jump's cancellation trigger finger. Low rankings = easy cancellation. Of course, the volumes could sell really well and avoid this, but it's far too early to tell.

I don't think Nisekoi will happen since it's "not action-oriented enough". I'd say put Kuroko's Basket there but Viz hates sports manga.

I see ads for slam dunk, but otherwise I always thought sports series just never took off in anime nor manga here in the us.

BatDan

They did license Eyeshield 21 as part of their "Advanced" line, and they have licensed Prince of Tennis (the first series at least). Nothing on Captain Tsubasa, probably because it's too old. Except there are new series...

Right now though, they seemed to have sworn off sports manga.

Kusagari

They probably, and rightly whether we like it or not, think the main audience won't care about sports manga or something like Nisekoi.

Still doesn't make sense why they would run manga almost destined to be canceled like Barrage instead of Reborn or something.

And why hasn't Viz licensed Beelzebub yet?

BatDan

Viz used to do volume releases of Reborn but cancelled releases after Volume 16. They tend to do that. Gintama was cancelled after 23. Bo-bobo skipped the first 10 volumes (Yoshio Sawai hated them for some reason) starting on Volume 11, and cancelled it after 5 volumes.

For whatever reason, Fist of the North Star hasn't been licensed. Don't expect to see anymore JoJo outside of Stardust Crusaders.

I imagine they're really pushing One Piece now because they know their two biggest money makers (Naruto and Bleach) are in their end games. I'd be more accepting of this if they fixed that "Zolo" shit and had a more accurate translation all around.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Even Eyeshield 21 ?
I don't know anything about the US market so...

eyeshield was supposed to come to cartoon network, in some deal with the nfl. there was even a shitty dub and everything, but something fell through.

So what is alpha really, a new WSJ run?

Ignoring reborn is pretty dumb too.

The united states take on weekly shonen jump, series two weeks after they run in jpn for $26 a year and 50 or so issues, and four free yugioh cards, or 99cents for each volume, usually with interviews, a video of an artist drawing, etc (digital)

survivor

Banned
Pumpkin and Mayonnaise vol 1 End

p3Bbf.jpg

Miho and Sei are living together. She works at a boutique while he tries to make it as a musician. Even though Miho still can’t forget about Hagio, her ex-lover, she is happy in her relationship with Sei. However, all is not well for the young couple. Struggling to make ends meet, Miho decides to take a second job as bar hostess. As she becomes increasingly desperate for money, Miho eventually gives in to one of her client’s sexual advances. When Sei finds out about this he begins to distance himself from her. Things are getting even more complicated for Miho when Hagio suddenly reappears in her life.

Another name for this would be NTR: The Manga if that might get you into reading it.

A very well grounded and realistic josei manga. The art really lacked and it was empty most of the times but it didn't bother me that much since I was too focused on the story. Miho's problem was very interesting and well done. I'm not sure why she kept clinging to Sei who was a deadbeat loser that didn't bother finding a job for a long time forcing Miho to work as a hostess. I would have just kicked his ass out the house at that moment.

The
plot twist with Hagio and Rika was so obvious it hurt. I guess it was needed to have a parallel situation with Rika that mirrors Miho's life
. I was more or less satisfied with the conclusion since Miho did the right thing in the end and Sei learned to grow up and be more independent.

BatDan

So what is alpha really, a new WSJ run?

Ignoring reborn is pretty dumb too.

Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha is a digital version of Jump. Instead of their monthly print version that was waaay behind, it's a weekly digital version that's current. Releasing chapters two weeks after they come out in Japan.

In strategy, it's amazing. Except for the whole "two weeks" thing, and the selection is rather middling.
There's the usual One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and Toriko. They experiment with new series like Barrage, and monthly series are included like Rurouni Kenshin Restoration and Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (it's only here because of the cards they give away)

Kurita

I'd like to see that in France. But the Big 3 is owned by two publishers. Glénat has Bleach and One Piece while Kana has Naruto so it won't happen.
And Kazé has all the newest series like Toriko, Beelzebub, Kuroko's Basket... Viz Media Europe bought them recently, they will have all the WSJ "blockbusters" from now on. We might get SKET Dance !

Thud

Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha is a digital version of Jump. Instead of their monthly print version that was waaay behind, it's a weekly digital version that's current. Releasing chapters two weeks after they come out in Japan.

In strategy, it's amazing. Except for the whole "two weeks" thing, and the selection is rather middling.
There's the usual One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and Toriko. They experiment with new series like Barrage, and monthly series are included like Rurouni Kenshin Restoration and Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal (it's only here because of the cards they give away)

Thanks for the info, it's probably a lot better than the print versions. The line-up needs improvement though. I guess it takes some time.

Pumpkin and Mayonnaise vol 1 End

p3Bbf.jpg

Another name for this would be NTR: The Manga if that might get you into reading it.

A very well grounded and realistic josei manga. The art really lacked and it was empty most of the times but it didn't bother me that much since I was too focused on the story. Miho's problem was very interesting and well done. I'm not sure why she kept clinging to Sei who was a deadbeat loser that didn't bother finding a job for a long time forcing Miho to work as a hostess. I would have just kicked his ass out the house at that moment.

The
plot twist with Hagio and Rika was so obvious it hurt. I guess it was needed to have a parallel situation with Rika that mirrors Miho's life
. I was more or less satisfied with the conclusion since Miho did the right thing in the end and Sei learned to grow up and be more independent.

I might check this out.

Naruto

ohhh, shit's about to get real. Sasuke about to meet Sage of Six Paths? i think so. i think the scroll shows location of the sage's body and sasuke needed Oro to do edo tensei.

Tobi looks like he's about to summon incomplete Ten Tails as well o_O

Fairy Tail

You know, I know that Lucy's spirits are mostly useless, but from what I remember she usually manages to win her fights, or at least do well... so why the "Lucy usually loses" stuff? I don't think that's true. I mean, yeah, she lost this time, though she did try... that water spirit really is here most worthless one, always abandons here in the middle whenever she's needed. But um, did Lucy get that "second place finished in last if they were knocked out" thing or not? I'm not entirely clear on the final rankings there. That is, is Lucy second or last...

gunbo13

I just read the latest two god awful chapters of KNIM and then started watching the amazing Bloodstained Labyrinth arc from Ghost Hunt again. I think I like this method.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Akame ga Kill 1-18

Cwudb.png

Between her and the Bleach girl, the badass hat-wearing nazi-inspired waifu status of manga is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom