• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Nisekoi 34

So, Manga-GAF, who do you think had the best disguise?

tsugumi. oh man.

MUEDZ.gif

Solune

Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga 0
Imagine a country where couples are chosen based on the compatibility of their genes. Whenever a resident reaches the age of 14, a partner will be suggested to him or her based on which match would result in the best child being born.

This is a collection of stories about some of the more "interesting" pairings chosen by this system.

Kind of a silly premise, the art's ok and the theme is light hearted. The first story doesn't have alot of angst but the initial story does deal with an incest relationship (No, there isn't smut)

Koyoi, Kimi to Kiss no Chigiri o 1

This is basically the shoujo equivalent of Inuyasha so far. Don't know if I'll continue or whatever. Search for waifus continues.

Gwisin Byeolgok 1

Manhwa, the premise is the protagonist is supposed to have her body taken over by a power demon/ghost whatever but the girl is supposed to die to shinigami. Basically the ghost was tricked into protecting the girl from her death by promising her body since she has intense spiritual powers. Art is ugly will probably drop.

Why am I reading this shit when I could be catching up to Princess Resurrection or Nisekoi? I don't know.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I remember reading some of Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga. Was a bit disappointed that it didn't involve the brother/sister anymore.

Akito

Prince of Tennis volume 1
i like how the MC doesn't give a shit about anything.
Well, there's no character development for any of the characters in the entire manga so the bratty genius might become somewhat annoying from time to time.

Nisekoi
So, new girl hates long hair, not destined girl confirmed?

neoanarch

Again! 13
the character designs are just so good. I understand that the Ouendan issue is the main story. But I can't stay focused on the plot. It just isn't interesting. The girl leader is being selfish or bitchy. I really hope we get some explanation soon because her character isn't very likeable.

survivor

Banned
Carat:
Survivor you are man of great taste.

A Huge Battleship deserves all the credit

Nisekoi

Marika continues to be the best girl

Again! 13
the character designs are just so good. I understand that the Ouendan issue is the main story. But I can't stay focused on the plot. It just isn't interesting. The girl leader is being selfish or bitchy. I really hope we get some explanation soon because her character isn't very likeable.
Usami improves in the next few chapters.

flawfuls

Kimi ga Kimi de aru Tameni

This is tale of a yandere boy with magical powers. It was pretty predicable and very forgettable overall, but I do appreciate the effort the mangaka put in to make the boy as moe as possible in every scene he is in (when he is not killing people).

scy

Nisekoi 34 - "I hate girls with long hair" Chitoge confirmed winner.

Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga 0

Kind of a silly premise, the art's ok and the theme is light hearted. The first story doesn't have alot of angst but the initial story does deal with an incest relationship (No, there isn't smut)

It's a shame that more chapters aren't available. The initial pairing is still probably my favorite and they don't get much screentime, sadly (Chapter 0 and Volume 1 bonus chapter). Jun/Mai are pretty typical and Nobuyuki/Miyuki hasn't gotten far enough for it to be interesting yet.

Not this? (at least this link doesn't have the shitty music overlay)

Which totally begs the question: What the fuck happens when Tezuka uses Tezuka Phantom?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nisekoi 34

Liked Onodera in the beginning but as the manga goes on I'm beginning to hate her more and more. Chitoge is slowly becoming the winner for me.

Bungaku Shoujo to Shi ni Tagari no Douke (Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime) 1-END

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. One of the best series I've read to date, if not the absolute best. I wasn't sure what to expect going into it, but I sure as hell wouldn't have expected this.

Briefly, it's a mystery series starring the titular* book girl and her literary chef (aka the MC). I don't want to say much more for the sake of not ruining the story, but suffice to say there's more to it than initially meets the eye.
Never saw the twist coming until it smacked me right between the eyeballs.
I know it's based on a light novel series, which might go some way to explaining how competently the plot was handled.

It won't be to everyone's tastes, since there's a strong psychological element to it, but even so, you should totally check it out. Yes, you. Reading this right now.

*btw she has no tits

scy

It won't be to everyone's tastes, since there's a strong psychological element to it, but even so, you should totally check it out. Yes, you. Reading this right now.

Well, sure, if you say so.

Edit: dat color spread damn

Well, since I finished it and all I might as well chime in: It's a rather good story and I feel a need to find more so ... damn you. Damn you a lot.

That said, as for the "more to it than initially meets the eye" bit:
It was a nice bit of roundabout detective work, but I think maybe it needed a little more time to get through it all. Well, maybe. I'm torn. It feels both a bit short but also that it covers everything it needed to. I think I just want more rather than feeling like it truly needed more. As for the twist, it came among a series of twists and it finally answered the core question remaining so it didn't really feel like a twist so much as the eventual logical conclusion. But I guess I'm just naturally suspicious of airhead lolis.

...and, yes, she has no tits.

survivor

Banned
Bambino vol 1

RCKfF.jpg

I have had this manga on my backlog for a long time after seeing some great reviews about it from fellow mangaf members. I was pleasantly surprised. Ban is a great character and his struggle in the new kitchen didn't feel contrived or too cartoony. Only two things that worry me is the manga going into stupid romance territories with that chef with the hat and Ban's current girlfriend. Hope nothing too stupid happens. The other thing is the ending which I read it's just a setup for the sequel which sadly no one is translating.

Esch

Banned
Bambino vol 1

RCKfF.jpg

I have had this manga on my backlog for a long time after seeing some great reviews about it from fellow mangaf members. I was pleasantly surprised. Ban is a great character and his struggle in the new kitchen didn't feel contrived or too cartoony. Only two things that worry me is the manga going into stupid romance territories with that chef with the hat and Ban's current girlfriend. Hope nothing too stupid happens. The other thing is the ending which I read it's just a setup for the sequel which sadly no one is translating.

Keep reading though, its great.

I am very very sad no one is working on the sequel, this may be one of my favorite manga ever. Definitely the best cooking manga ever, blows Yakitate and others out of the water

survivor

Banned
Again 17

Imamura, why are you so awesome?
edqVm.jpg

God damn, good chapter. I'm curious to see if Tamaki has anything else up her sleeve now that the cheering squad is back.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Genshiken 76-77:
I think Genshiken just deconstructed itself.

Well, since I finished it and all I might as well chime in: It's a rather good story and I feel a need to find more so ... damn you. Damn you a lot.

That said, as for the "more to it than initially meets the eye" bit:
It was a nice bit of roundabout detective work, but I think maybe it needed a little more time to get through it all. Well, maybe. I'm torn. It feels both a bit short but also that it covers everything it needed to. I think I just want more rather than feeling like it truly needed more. As for the twist, it came among a series of twists and it finally answered the core question remaining so it didn't really feel like a twist so much as the eventual logical conclusion. But I guess I'm just naturally suspicious of airhead lolis.

...and, yes, she has no tits.

There're a couple (1) (2) of other manga stories in the same 'series', but it looks like neither of them have been picked up yet. Also there's a movie and a few OVAs out as well.

Maybe it's the fact that I spent a while digesting (pun unintentional) everything as I went along (judging from your post, you got through it in less than half the time I did), but I thought the length was about right. I was a bit surprised when I was reading it as I thought the 'love letter romance' was going to be dealt with quickly, e.g. as one of several shorter sub-stories, rather than being the basis for the entire series, so that may have skewed my perception of whether it would've worked better with more chapters.

Chia suckered me in with her initial appearance and the whole of chapter 2 generally, so while I gradually began to develop doubts about her motives as the story progressed I never imagined that she was harbouring anything that dark underneath her cheerful exterior.

scy

There're a couple (1) (2) of other manga stories in the same 'series', but it looks like neither of them have been picked up yet. Also there's a movie and a few OVAs out as well.

Yeah, some searching makes it seem like theres more out there. Eventually. One day. All of my tears, etc.

Guess I have things to watch at least. And it seems Nanase has an arc so yessssss.

Maybe it's the fact that I spent a while digesting (pun unintentional) everything as I went along (judging from your post, you got through it in less than half the time I did), but I thought the length was about right. I was a bit surprised when I was reading it as I thought the 'love letter romance' was going to be dealt with quickly, e.g. as one of several shorter sub-stories, rather than being the basis for the entire series, so that may have skewed my perception of whether it would've worked better with more chapters.

That may be the case.
It really isn't a problem with the length itself but just the fact I got through it so fast (and thoroughly enjoyed what I got through) that left me wanting more. As for the love letter story, I figured it to be the bulk of things rather than a one-off situation so that may have changed my view as well.

Chia suckered me in with her initial appearance and the whole of chapter 2 generally, so while I gradually began to develop doubts about her motives as the story progressed I never imagined that she was harbouring anything that dark underneath her cheerful exterior.

I never
trust bumbling lolis! To be fair, I didn't immediately go "Hrm, she's doing some freaky shit" until later but I figured from Chapter 2 and the narration introduction that it was either her or the main character ... and the latter seemingly went against what I pictured for him as a childhood. I guess I should've been suspicious of "literature girl" but I figure she had a different background than something dealing with emotionless state and wearing a mask and it felt most appropriate for the "bumbling fool" girl to be the "clown." I didn't really piece together _what_ she was doing until it became obvious itself, though. I suppose the most accurate way to put it is that I wasn't surprised it was her at the reveal rather than "I knew it was her all along."

Edit: In retrospect,
I'm not sure why I didn't think it was the "crush" rather than the girl herself. I just glossed over that as a possible route, perhaps.

Pandora Hearts 2-3
tumblr_m7bfeyTLYA1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well the action has gripped me as well as the art, something about it really looks nice in bringing the world actually to life and most characters do look good. Oz and Gill still at the top (well that does look like him, though older?), and Oz's new outfit is nice. Break is a nice addition though kind of reminds me of Fai from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

I think I utterly despise the Alice girl, so wicked and crazy ish and a sexual harasser, even worst how in the world does Oz not dislike her?!

gunbo13

What because of cross dressing? Nah we've been there before. In fact I remember recommending Carat to I9 some time ago.
Nope, I'm used to cross-dressing. It's quite tame. But if you factor the latest reads I'm seeing, it is pretty apparent it's a splinter cell within manga-gaf. I think poison pill reads is quite apt as I've used it before.

survivor

Banned
Nope, I'm used to cross-dressing. It's quite tame. But if you factor the latest reads I'm seeing, it is pretty apparent it's a splinter cell within manga-gaf. I think poison pill reads is quite apt as I've used it before.

If I start posting pictures from my favourite fetish manga, I will most likely get banned. Let's just say that cross dressing is probably the closet sfw version of it.

There is also the LNs which I heard were quite good plus Yen Press is translating them so no more amateur robotic fan translations of LNs.

Yeah, some searching makes it seem like theres more out there. Eventually. One day. All of my tears, etc.

Guess I have things to watch at least. And it seems Nanase has an arc so yessssss.
I'd like to see Nanase get more development, but more than anything else
I'm interested in learning more about Miu and what drove her to suicide
. Her story's looked at in one of the OVA episodes.

That said, I'm a bit cautious about watching anything in case it overlaps with any of the (as of yet untranslated) manga stories, because I'd rather read the manga if I had the choice.

I never
trust bumbling lolis! To be fair, I didn't immediately go "Hrm, she's doing some freaky shit" until later but I figured from Chapter 2 and the narration introduction that it was either her or the main character ... and the latter seemingly went against what I pictured for him as a childhood. I guess I should've been suspicious of "literature girl" but I figure she had a different background than something dealing with emotionless state and wearing a mask and it felt most appropriate for the "bumbling fool" girl to be the "clown." I didn't really piece together _what_ she was doing until it became obvious itself, though. I suppose the most accurate way to put it is that I wasn't surprised it was her at the reveal rather than "I knew it was her all along."

Edit: In retrospect,
I'm not sure why I didn't think it was the "crush" rather than the girl herself. I just glossed over that as a possible route, perhaps.
I won't either from now on.
I thought the narration was more likely to be the MC than Chia (particularly after the incident with Nanase criticising his fake behaviour in front of the other girls), but after the narration started talking about the person being a 'clown' and more details of Shuuji came to light I assumed it was his narration instead. I thought I was right until chapters 20-21 happened and my head exploded.

Edit:

There is also the LNs which I heard were quite good plus Yen Press is translating them so no more amateur robotic fan translations of LNs.
I've never paid much attention to LNs before, but there probably won't be a better time to start. Think I actually saw Suicidal Mime in a nearby bookstore recently.

Taruranto

Pandora Hearts 2-3
tumblr_m7bfeyTLYA1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well the action has gripped me as well as the art, something about it really looks nice in bringing the world actually to life and most characters do look good. Oz and Gill still at the top (well that does look like him, though older?), and Oz's new outfit is nice. Break is a nice addition though kind of reminds me of Fai from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

I think I utterly despise the Alice girl, so wicked and crazy ish and a sexual harasser, even worst how in the world does Oz not dislike her?!

Don't worry, the author completely forget she exists in twenty chapters or so.

And i like Alice. :(

Akito

Silver Spoon
Great chapter again, I like Drill Hair already. Lol at Hachiken passing out at the sight of his memo and his short moment of triumph, poor guy.

scy

brb, buying everything

I'd like to see Nanase get more development, but more than anything else
I'm interested in learning more about Miu and what drove her to suicide
. Her story's looked at in one of the OVA episodes.

That said, I'm a bit cautious about watching anything in case it overlaps with any of the (as of yet untranslated) manga stories, because I'd rather read the manga if I had the choice.

Yeah, I'm a little tentative on that but I'd rather experience it than not. As for
Miu, I was a little surprised she wasn't touched on more but I also didn't know there were more stories. I guess she wasn't meant for this arc as this is to introduce the main character(s). At best, we get to solve some of his crisis!

I won't either from now on.

Life lessons. Who says we don't learn things from manga!

I thought the narration was more likely to be the MC than Chia (particularly after the incident with Nanase criticising his fake behaviour in front of the other girls), but after the narration started talking about the person being a 'clown' and more details of Shuuji came to light I assumed it was his narration instead. I thought I was right until chapters 20-21 happened and my head exploded.

Well, my reasoning was that
the MC cared in the past. He made mention of having a girl he loved so it didn't fit well with the mystery narration mentioning the inability to care from childhood. So, at that point, I had him ruled out and I didn't think that would be the route for the girl so ... Chia got it as the other introduced character. I really did just overlook Shuuji until he became more plot relevant but, by then, I had already suspected Chia enough that I rode it out that way. Plus her expression in Chapter 3 ("Am I bothering you?")... just stood out to me throughout.

Edit: Not to say that
the reveal wasn't still creepy/good :x 20-21 was still "Well, damn!"

duckroll

Magi - Chapter 113

Not bad. I'm not really sure where this is going, but at least it didn't feel like a total cop out. Something is happening, and now Sinbad is PISSED. It's going to be interesting to see what Sinbad does in the next chapter. I hope the guy doesn't get away. That would be a shitty cop out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom