• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
So Gengoroh Tagame is getting his first English volume release (there was a chapter of his work before in Thickness, I believe).

TM2t1.jpg

Not really a fan of his work after checking some out thanks to the noitamina hoax a few months ago. Not for me, especially after the part where they push a tube into a man's anus and then pour boxes of gravel in before stirring it with a branch snapped off a nearby tree.

Still, interesting enough for some interest.

Well, at least now I know the difference between yaoi and bara. I like the former much better

I honestly thought Vertical were the ones bringing this. Seemed something they would do and the cover looked similar in style to their other covers. Turned out it's PictureBox which I have never heard of before.

survivor

Banned
Carat vol 1-2 End

Only one of these magical girls is actually a girl
kWgbV.jpg
1Aphf.jpg

That was a pretty fun and light read. There wasn't much romance in it for a shoujo manga but the battles and the characters were entertaining. The Four Heavenly Kings were awesome and hilarious. Such an awesome battle pose

Troll ending was best part of the manga

Taruranto

Kuroko no Basuke 90

He fucking disappeared with the ball in front of everyone!!! Fucking magic.

I'm not even in for the basketball, but this is just too stupid. I don't care what sort of BS the author will use to explain it, it's totally bullshit. I'm dropping it. I had already lost interest after the last chapters anyway.

scy

Kuroko no Basuke 90

I'm not even in for the basketball, but this is just too stupid. I don't care what sort of BS the author will use to explain it, it's totally bullshit. I'm dropping it. I had already lost interest after the last chapters anyway.

After Prince of Tennis, that's the kind of stuff I look for in my non-serious sports manga.

Now I feel compelled to read this.

Kurita

Kuroko no Basuke 90

Devil Bat Ghost !

Assassination Classroom 3
Decent chapter. Casual fun, I like it.
So can we say that the new kid is some sort of bad guy or something ?

Akito

Mix 3
I still love how Adachi can tell such a nice little background story with nothing more than a handful of pages and without any dialogues. I hope he would somehow bring in Tatsuya considering the Meisei and ace stuff. The uniform on the last page seems freakishly huge though so I doubt it was Tatsuya's.

Acid Town 18 - 20
tumblr_m79zw6shMZ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

A quarterly manga and the chapter is only 13 pages...seriously?@! What even. Anyway I had to actually go back to chapter 15 to be reminded of the explosion, and then to 17 to be reminded of the significance of this backstory of Rei, who actually looked pretty cool in his teen days, and his sister. Unfortunately, I guess it means something really tragic happens if shes hospitalized. Everyone has such morbid backstories, well apart from Tetsu. Putting the pieces together the story is pretty intense with both sides of the families in this intense, mafia, tragedy bl. I do kind of hope we return to Yukio and Tetsushi who have been separated for awhile now.

El Sloth

Banned
I am a Hero: Vol 1

You know, I'm almost a little disappointed that the zombies showed up. I think I would have been just fine reading a slice-of-life comic about this dude. And then I noticed that Hanazawa Kengo is the same guy who did Boys on the Run and realized I already am reading that comic. Sort of.

I am still really charmed by his art and art style.

Tegami Bachi (v9, chp 31 - 34)
tumblr_m7a55nNpfQ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Yes my favorite crybaby is back...Decent volume for the fact of introducing new characters in terms of the ones from the capital and seemingly to imply that Aria Link may be playing a more direct role in Lag's life. I will miss Lloyd Largo though, he was a good character in the Letter Bee offices. Though poor Zazie getting cast off to such a place and Lag too.

I really think the ones from the capital are up to no good and will take Gauche away while not doing much about Reverse. :/

PK Gaming

Top 3 Waifu's

#3: Erza Scarlett
Reasoning: I don't necessarily think that she's that great of a character(she's possibly my favorite character in FT, and she was really good early on but now... eh), but her sheer sex appeal somehow makes up for her shortcomings. Oh & her skillset is v. cool.

#2: Kurokami Medaka
Reasoning: Medaka is a pretty polarizing character. It feels like half of the manga's fanbase her guts, and the other half can't get enough about her. Honestly, I really think she's a great character. There's something charming about her absurd "I will try to make everyone around me better people, even my enemies" and she really grows as a character. Since i've a penchant for copycats, her ability is pretty ideal for me. Oh and she's a female main character in a shonen so she gets extra points for that. f you think about it, I wouldn't have her as my waifu, i'd (try) to be her husbando like Zenkichi. Her new design is AMAZING, it perfectly represents how much she's grown & changed character wise and conceptually.

#1: Najimi Ajimu
Reasoning: If I were to give the previous 2 character Waifu power levels they would hover around 11 000 to 17 000. Najimi Ajimu has a power level of 4 quadrillion. I LOVE Najimi. Her design, characterization, abilities and plot relevancy. Her ability to obliterate 4th wall is unprecedented. I don't think i've ever experienced a character in any form of fiction thoroughly tear apart the 4th wall, without being obnoxious about it. If you've read Medaka Box, you'd know that she's very critical of the character in the series, and continually pokes fun at the various cliches, tropes and flaws each character has in the series. Hell she even talks about how Kumagawa got the most votes. The ideal character ♪

Najimi is really great lol.

BONUS:

Top 3 Husbandos.

#3 Eren

#2 Arata

#1: Misogi Kumagawa

Jojo Part 7 30-50

The race is so awesome. Kinda bummed that
Mountain Tim and Sandman died. Sandman being an enemy was so sudden.

Sugar Mountain ability was crazy and fucked up.

Karate Minoru 145-146

Old dude last blow was pretty great. Now its time to Minoru fight.

Gamaran 148

An wild Diglett appears!

Comic Studio 1

This might be even more meta about the ongoings in the manga industry than Medaka Box. So there's this dude who wants to draw battle manga, but the editor wants him to do moe stuff, so he sends him to a renowned manly battle manga artist that turns out to be a moe girl.

The premise alone is mindblowing.

survivor

Banned
Comic Studio 1

This might be even more meta about the ongoings in the manga industry than Medaka Box. So there's this dude who wants to draw battle manga, but the editor wants him to do moe stuff, so he sends him to a renowned manly battle manga artist that turns out to be a moe girl.

The premise alone is mindblowing.

I gotta read this now

scy

Nana to Kaoru - All caught up now and ... dat breather. Well, dem breathers, I guess, since I still had the Volume 8 one to catch up through. Which, speaking of, Kaoru had a big manning up speech in there (that Nana hears none of because lolprogress).

Seriously though, it's such a pure and sweet and innocent romance story in between all the S&M. I never thought Tachi would really add that much as a competition character for the story considering the obvious pairing and all but, damn, she's really moved the plot around. And her in the breather is adorable. I'll actually feel bad for her eventual loss.

...but, seriously, her breather is holy shit adorable.

#2: Kurokami Medaka
Oh and she's a female main character in a shonen so she gets extra points for that.

Honestly? I've never seen her as the main character. I mean, the action revolves around her, certainly, and she does basically everything throughout the manga ... but Zenkichi has always been our eyes for the story. I suppose that's what makes
his transition to the actual main character that much easier to believe

Maybe that's just me though :x

#1: Najimi Ajimu

Truly a godly existence. Fourth wall breaks are my weakness.

Hatoful Kareshi 1
tumblr_m7a7s9U3JE1qbxqfpo1_500.png

If only the whole thing was when they are in their human forms and thank goodness main character gets no screentime. This whole one was chuckle inducing, liked. Didnt like many of the four panel stripes, but the cover page is awesome.

PK Gaming

I thought you don't do waifus man??

That means you should pick up TWGOK .

I am a shitty shonen main character, my characterization changes at the drop of a hat (besides you guys were doing it so...) I should. I ended up quitting early :p

Honestly? I've never seen her as the main character. I mean, the action revolves around her, certainly, and she does basically everything throughout the manga ... but Zenkichi has always been our eyes for the story. I suppose that's what makes his transition to the actual main character that much easier to believe.

Maybe that's just me though

It's even more apparent when you watch the anime. At the end of the day though, the main narrative revolves around Medaka, and she's the one who usually gets shit done (beating the big bad, saving characters etc). She reminds of Goku in the manga. Zenkichi was a strong candidate though and he might have pulled a coup XD. I wish one of the chapters were renamed to "Zenkichi box" after he
usurped medaka

I consider Zenkichi to be equal in important to Medaka now. They're both the main characters in my eyes

gunbo13

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg20i1zknG1qgrtzbo1_500.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Yawn
Big boobs, red hair, etc...

I read series with fan-service but most female characters don't really have "sex appeal" IMO. Dorothea from Ludwig that I posted, definitely does (and a few more from that series as well). I'd add Sheila from Superior and Juliett from UDDUP. The rest of the girls are typically just "cute." Not that there is anything wrong with that.

scy

Yawn
Big boobs, red hair, etc...

As if more is needed?

I get you though. There's a difference between fanservice bait and attractive females in a story.

It's even more apparent when you watch the anime. At the end of the day though, the main narrative revolves around Medaka, and she's the one who usually gets shit done (beating the big bad, saving characters etc). She reminds of Goku in the manga. Zenkichi was a strong candidate though and he might have pulled a coup XD. I wish one of the chapters were renamed to "Zenkichi box" after he
usurped medaka

I consider Zenkichi to be equal in important to Medaka now. They're both the main characters in my eyes

Basically, I just see Medaka as the device that moves the plot but we experience it because of Zenkichi. Being the main character doesn't necessarily mean the one doing everything.
Which I think is part of the deconstruction Medaka Box went for on the whole "making him the main character" arc. The current arc seems to reverse this potentially. We'll see.

survivor

Banned
Since PK asked me to do it, waifu list

1. Meiko Inoue
hscl5.jpg

She is very attractive and isn't a cheap fanservice bait and doesn't have massive boobs like other waifus. It also helps that she is in an awesome manga and is actually a memorable character

2. Amira Hergal
FsNlA.jpg

She is actually a waifu character unlike the fake ones you see in other manga. Plus she can hunt animals, you can't ask for more than that.

3. lol

Pandora Hearts 1

Finally got around to reading it. Based on chapter one, I wonder why I never read it earlier, Gill and Oz are pretty cool just from now. I hope they stick together all throughout as they are funny. Character design is great for them too, and the hooded entity at the end definitely keeps me hooked. Therefore, will keep reading.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Nisekoi
All the other ladies follow them on their "date". New girl is okay. Dat Tsugumi. The random characters have good taste.

Nisekoi 34

So, Manga-GAF, who do you think had the best disguise?

Tsugumi of course. #TeamTsugumi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom