• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

Unless Im getting him confused I thought there were images of Kubo with his assistants.

That's the bleaching part of the manga. He probably needed some help with that.

Mangaka are basically enigma which allows people to come up with all kinds of crazy rumors about them.

Togashi gets the worst of it as people try to come up with reasons for why his art sucks and his numerous hiatuses.

Togashi justs takes time off to play Monster Hunter games. It is known.

So they're all "gamers" lol.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The fact that Togashi literally went one chapter into a brand new arc and then went on hiatus says to me that he gives less fucks than humanly possible about his own work.

Wiseblade

Looking at Kochikame and Golgo 13, it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Those two are basically institutions at this point, and will continue until the authors die. Hell, Golgo will probably pull a James Bond and go beyond that. I didn't include Case Closed/Detective Conan Becasue the author has said "I could end it already, but I'm not going to" which sucks all the fun out of guessing.

The fact that Togashi literally went one chapter into a brand new arc and then went on hiatus says to me that he gives less fucks than humanly possible about his own work.
Well, giving people a stopping point would be bad for business. I'm sure he learned that lesson after the Greed Island arc.

Assassination Classroom Ch. 2-3

zwKtc.jpg

Koro-sensei is the best.

Thud

Those two are basically institutions at this point, and will continue until the authors die. Hell, Golgo will probably pull a James Bond and go beyond that. I didn't include Case Closed/Detective Conan Becasue the author has said "I could end it already, but I'm not going to" which sucks all the fun out of guessing.

They are at a different league, one which Ippo is about to enter. I think Oda said something similar about the ending.They will probably push Togashi sooner or later to make decisions. Miura will continue until he can't produce anything anymore.Still hoping Naruto ends soon, not likely considering kishimoto's filler methods. Bleach is also at that stage. JoJo Part 8 is not going to end anytime soon, considering Araki's previous parts.

I can't think of anything else worth discussing about.

Kusagari

I disagree. If Togashi really didn't care about HxH, he wouldn't have introduced the new world that makes everything up to this point seem like a warmup.

He easily could have milked the existing stuff like the Genei Ryodan for another couple years, especially with hiatuses.

Instead, he revealed that he hasn't even scratched the surface of the HxH universe.

Wiseblade

I disagree. If Togashi really didn't care about HxH, he wouldn't have introduced the new world that makes everything up to this point seem like a warmup.

He easily could have milked the existing stuff like the Genei Ryodan for another couple years, especially with hiatuses.

Instead, he revealed that he hasn't even scratched the surface of the HxH universe.

The issue Stat is bringing up is that Togashi deliberately stopped at a point that with as little closure as possible while also giving him room to go on for many years more. It screams of someone planning to milk a series for everything it's worth.

The issue Stat is bringing up is that Togashi deliberately stopped at a point that with as little closure as possible while also giving him room to go on for many years more. It screams of someone planning to milk a series for everything it's worth.

HxH to serialize till 2020 confirmed.

Wiseblade

HxH to serialize till 2020 confirmed.

Only 8 more years? I think you're underestimating Togashi.

But really, he needed to do what he did. If he went on hiatus with Gon finally having a proper conversation with his father atop the tallest structure in the world, and Killua finally having found something that he truly wants to do, the gravy train would effectively be over. A lot of people now are probably just reading/buying volumes until a suitable stopping point comes along and Togashi is going to do everything in his power not to give them one until he is ready.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car

I'm no-
Thank you wiseblade-sama; that and it's a kick in the face to fans because we don't know when the fuck he's coming back.

And for the record, I'm not saying that Togashi should have necessarily went on hiatus at the closing of the arc; just that he didn't have to introduce everything and basically get the ball rolling just to stop.

But then again, I've completely stopped caring about HxH, so it doesn't matter to me.

Akito

Soul Eater 100
I have no idea what's going on anymore but it's good to see Maka and Black Star in action again. Can we get to the fight against Kishin already.

D.Gray-Man

I loled when all those blush lines appeared on Allen face.

Soul Eater

Never saw a character grabbing beams before.

Jojo Part 7 END

That was an awesome ride. Very emotional stuff.

D4C was just as hax as Stairway to Heaven. Traveling between dimensions? Holy shit.

Poor Dio when victory is in his grasp he gets owned. It was a surprise seeing ZA WARUDO in the end, it was a great surprise.

Jonny was a good character but the real lead was Gyro. He was a badass cornering the president without a stand. Rest in peace.
;____________;

duckroll

Don't hate on Togashi so much. He could have taken a break from the manga to work on the upcoming anime movie. It's going to be an original story which he's writing. The "Phantom Rouge" film is probably going to tie in with the Phantom Troupe arc which just started in the new TV series. The news article says the "rouge" is a reference to the scarlet eyes of the Kurta Clan, and the "phantom" refers to the Phantom Troupe. The movie opens in Japan on Jan 12 2013.

Kusagari

I'm not denying that the point he stopped at makes him a massive dick. I'm just arguing that I think he does in fact care about the series.

As I said, he had numerous already existing plot points that he could have milked for another 10 years. The introduction of the Dark Continent suggests to me that he has a legitimate interest in expanding the scope of the HxH world.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just giving him too much credit.

i dropped gantz around the time vampires were introduced. i thought about catching up then saw a spoiler pic of a giant brown alien chick being raped by one of the gantz.

kinda skeptical...

Azure J

Soul Eater 100

A popularity contest I mostly agree with? And what's that one poster saying about 7/21 now? [/still holding out hope for a SE:Brotherhood anime]

Aw yeah, Maka and Black Star touching down with style sets things off well in this one. Shinigami's reaction to Excalibur showing up was priceless. Seems like this is going to be the long haul now and I'm hyped to see it go down.

vareon

Don't hate on Togashi so much. He could have taken a break from the manga to work on the upcoming anime movie. It's going to be an original story which he's writing. The "Phantom Rouge" film is probably going to tie in with the Phantom Troupe arc which just started in the new TV series. The news article says the "rouge" is a reference to the scarlet eyes of the Kurta Clan, and the "phantom" refers to the Phantom Troupe. The movie opens in Japan on Jan 12 2013.

This is the first time I've heard that the movie is somehow going to relate to the Phantom Troupe. Awesome.

survivor

Banned
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Vols. 1-2

I was surprised to discover that the climactic events in the final episode of the anime happened so early on in the manga. I think the later placement makes it stronger, after you've had more of a time to build up an emotional attachment to all the people in the shopping district. The way the anime expanded the scene where Hotori views how people on earth are reacting was really powerful.
Really? I thought they would have saved that scene for the later volumes too. Shaft adapted that scene brilliantly, probably my favourite sad scene in any comedy anime.

Of course, I'm not in the anime thread so I'll just say that Soredemo really shows off Masakazu Ishiguro's creativity and wealth of ideas; like his later Getenrou, you can never predict what's going to come in the next chapter. Comedies often restrict themselves to a limited repertoire of gags which they continually go back to, but at least so far Soredemo has avoided that. Its large cast of enjoyable characters and well-developed setting allow it to continually come up with fresh scenarios. The maid cafe may be the "hook" and act as an initial fulcrum to organize characters around, but it doesn't play a large part in the manga as a whole. (Related to this, only the first two volumes portray Hotori in maid attire while the later ones show her in a variety of other clothes.) I think what makes this so good can be summed up by Ishiguro's comments at the end of the first volume:
life."
Yep, that was Soredemo's greatest strength which made it very memorable for me. It was such a stark difference to when I jumped to Seitokai Yakuindomo after which prides itself in repeating the same type of jokes 5 times every episode.

survivor

Banned

upandaway

That Strong World success man, every mangaka is working on a movie now.

I guess the movie could elaborate more on Kurapika's quest to find all the eyes, (spoiler for DTL)
since the manga sort of ignored it.

Though they can't really make Kurapika meet/clash with the them without making a huge story-changing deal out of it.
We know he still hasn't met them again as late as Greed Island.

Soul Eater 94 - 100

Yeah this was pretty good to read in a huge chunk, but Ill probably get back to the monthly routine since it seems like things are about to get intense again. It really felt like 98-100 were basically just the characters pumping themselves about, especially with the speech from Kid in 100.

Black Star is just utterly awesome (as he said in the chapter) again. He grabbed beams even, which I dont think Ive seen in any manga ever. Really cool.

Erigu

[Miura Kentarô]
The man is a perfectionist and as such does all the art himself with no assistants to help him out with the tones, backgrounds, etc.
It's all him.
Nah, he has assistants. Five of them, I believe.

Interestingly enough, Wikipedia states that the irregular schedule of the chapters began a little more than a year after the release of the Idolmaster arcade game...
... That joke is so hilarious Wikipedia just had to go there?

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Pretty much every single major manga author has their own studio office and assistants. Or is there some different arrangement here?
I don't think there's any reason to believe there is. Crazy internet rumors.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Vols. 1-2
I was surprised to discover that the climactic events in the final episode of the anime happened so early on in the manga.
On top of the obvious "it's climactic!" thing, it might be that Shaft tried to put all those stories in chronological order (since they aren't in the original work). I'd have to check...

Togashi gets the worst of it as people try to come up with reasons for why his art sucks and his numerous hiatuses.
Health issues ever since Yû Yû Hakusho. Those aren't exactly compatible with weekly series. Not much of a mystery.

I'm not sure I understand the issue, here... If you'd rather the series had ended before that new arc (and don't have a problem with all the loose ends), just pretend it did. Otherwise, what's wrong with him going on?

If he went on hiatus with Gon finally having a proper conversation with his father atop the tallest structure in the world, and Killua finally having found something that he truly wants to do, the gravy train would effectively be over.
You're forgetting about a bunch of characters and storylines, there...

At least I'm glad Araki isn't an lazy-ass.
Too bad the series took a dive years ago and never quite recovered...

On top of the obvious "it's climactic!" thing, it might be that Shaft tried to put all those stories in chronological order (since they aren't in the original work). I'd have to check...

Really? There's been nothing in the manga so far to indicate that the chapters aren't in chronological order.

Erigu

[Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru]
Really? There's been nothing in the manga so far to indicate that the chapters aren't in chronological order.
I just checked, and the first couple of volumes are still in chronological order. It gets wonky during volume 3.
Some details are more obvious than others... Look for the hairstyles, for example. There would also be how the characters address each other, but that might be lost in translation.

Articalys

The fifth volume of Silver Spoon is dated for October 18, and will have a limited edition with not one, but TWO silver spoons this time!

El Sloth

Banned
[Miura Kentarô]

Nah, he has assistants. Five of them, I believe.
I could have sworn I had read an article years ago stating otherwise, but I can't find it now and can only assume it was scuttlebutt my brain eventually convinced itself was fact.

I did come across this 2002 interview with Miura that was on the North American DVD release of the Berserk anime if anyone is interested.

This made me laugh:

I'd like to know if anything influenced Bersek

It is a Japanese novel, but a novel called "Guin Saga" written by Kaoru Kurimoto was the most influential. Guin Saga is a fantasy novel series, and it's been trying to set a record in the Guinness World Records as the longest fantasy novel ever written by a single author. It was planned to be 100 volumes from the beginning, but it's already 80-something, so it'll go over 100 easily. I started reading it when I was in Junior High and am still reading the new volume every month. So I could say Guin Saga is the most influential novel. An other stuff like movie and cartoons influenced me as well.

For those who don't already know and are curious: Guin Saga ended up being 130 volumes in the end (the last four published after the author's death apparently). The original run was from 1979 – 2009.

Wait is this actually true? There is an hxh movie coming? My eyes are filled with tears of joy here

Wiseblade

You're forgetting about a bunch of characters and storylines, there...

No, I'm not. I'm just saying that if Togashi decided to stop there, then a lot of people could (and almost certainly would) say that they'd "seen enough" and weren't willing to wait x number of years for a proper conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom