• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Marikoi

Hahaha, she's great.

Does Raku have his lock yet? I don't think he does. Flashing the key won't work on me this time, Naoshi, you jerk. I already know your tricks by now.

I assume that by the end of this date Marika will figure out what's going on with Chitoge and Raku.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 8

0_o

This is friggin Elfen Lied part 2. There's even dicloni. Holy shit at that ending!
Elfen Lied never really had a full-on Murakami though, and he makes this manga.

El Sloth

Banned
Nisekoi

Oh, and the secret the New Girl will reveal will be a different promise that Raku made with another girl who also has a key. But that girl also has a sister who has a key.

Unless the other girl happens to be New Girl's hypothetical sister.

Not entirely sure what I just typed out.

Code:Breaker 184

Huh, so I guess there's even more power users in the school. Kind of a dick move to have them in with the normal students, but ah well.

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Chapter 46

Lol. Being Hachiken is suffering. Looks like Spring is going to be even longer than Summer. I don't see the story arc ending anytime soon. After a few more chapters, the competition should be done, but they still have the cultural festival, which should take another bunch of chapters. At this rate the first year of the story could take up to 10 volumes. Considering how well the manga is selling... that just means more $$$$$$$$$$$$. Lol.

Magi 113

Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

Well, my reasoning was that
the MC cared in the past. He made mention of having a girl he loved so it didn't fit well with the mystery narration mentioning the inability to care from childhood. So, at that point, I had him ruled out and I didn't think that would be the route for the girl so ... Chia got it as the other introduced character. I really did just overlook Shuuji until he became more plot relevant but, by then, I had already suspected Chia enough that I rode it out that way. Plus her expression in Chapter 3 ("Am I bothering you?")... just stood out to me throughout.

Edit: Not to say that
the reveal wasn't still creepy/good :x 20-21 was still "Well, damn!"
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I didn't rule him out for that because in chapter 5 the narrator talks about going out with someone almost as a desperate experiment to see whether love can 'save' him from being an uncaring monster, and I wondered whether that was the reason why the MC first asked Miu out (and also whether it contributed to her suicide in any way). Evidently I was wrong! I blame the bear panties for tricking me.

scy

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I didn't rule him out for that because in chapter 5 the narrator talks about going out with someone almost as a desperate experiment to see whether love can 'save' him from being an uncaring monster, and I wondered whether that was the reason why the MC first asked Miu out (and also whether it contributed to her suicide in any way). Evidently I was wrong! I blame the bear panties for tricking me.

The wording there ("I said to that girl..." "her" etc.) made me figure the narrator was male but, at the same time, they kept the narrator in shadows so I just assumed it was meant to be a more neutral wording. I thought Miu could work but it didn't make sense that he killed a person before her suicide, y'know? I do agree that it could have been fitting for him to have dated Miu to "save" himself but I guess I just didn't want him to have that kind of background so I tried my best to convince myself to not think of him negatively.

The wording there ("I said to that girl..." "her" etc.) made me figure the narrator was male but, at the same time, they kept the narrator in shadows so I just assumed it was meant to be a more neutral wording. I thought Miu could work but it didn't make sense that he killed a person before her suicide, y'know? I do agree that it could have been fitting for him but I guess I just didn't want him to have that kind of background so I tried my best to convince myself to not think of him negatively.
Not sure which of the two translations you read for that chapter, but you're right. One version has a translation note at the bottom saying that the original wording for "she" etc could actually refer to a boy or a girl, while the other one doesn't. I did have some doubts that the MC could've 'killed' someone before Miu's suicide, but at the same time I didn't really know much about him at that point and since he wasn't wearing bear panties an airheaded loli I was more inclined to be suspicious of him.

scy

Not sure which of the two translations you read for that chapter, but you're right. One version has a translation note at the bottom saying that the original wording for "she" etc could actually refer to a boy or a girl, while the other one doesn't. I did have some doubts that the MC could've 'killed' someone before Miu's suicide, but at the same time I didn't really know much about him at that point and since he wasn't wearing bear panties an airheaded loli I was more inclined to be suspicious of him.

I had to double check but
no translation note. Sad day! Dem panties ruining everything :x

Though, on a serious note, thanks for the suggestion in the first place. I'll probably be picking up the LNs now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've never understood why, but authors everywhere tend to write very methodically once they get established, but the quality of their writing rarely gets any better or worse.

My copy of Feast for Crows still says "Dance with Dragons coming out next year!" (T/N: Feast for Crows came out in 2005. Dance With Dragons came out in mid-2011.)

scy

My copy of Feast for Crows still says "Dance with Dragons coming out next year!" (T/N: Feast for Crows came out in 2005. Dance With Dragons came out in mid-2011.)

Were you expecting it to change?

Also, has it really already been a year since A Dance with Dragons came out? Dang.

El Sloth

Banned
lol @ responses above. Why won't Kentaro Mura finish it already? Berserk is his curretntly his only work :(
Serious answer: No one really knows for sure of course, but we can make assumptions based on what we do know. The man is a perfectionist and as such does all the art himself with no assistants to help him out with the tones, backgrounds, etc.

It's all him. Then there's the research and referencing involved (although he at least has an editor to help him out with these).

Interestingly enough, Wikipedia states that the irregular schedule of the chapters began a little more than a year after the release of the Idolmaster arcade game...

Dresden

I remember hearing a few years ago that there was a team of assistants/studio to help Miura when needed (otherwise the detail of some of the spreads really would explain the downtime, but that doesn't fit into the "this man is addicted to Idolmaster" narrative). Don't think I can ever find it again though.

I like Berserk's art and all, but sometimes it's just so extravagant in a completely unnecessary way.

I had to double check but
no translation note. Sad day! Dem panties ruining everything :x

Though, on a serious note, thanks for the suggestion in the first place. I'll probably be picking up the LNs now.
Thinking about it, I probably prefer it when I get successfully tricked by a series because it gets more of a reaction of out me / makes it more memorable. Anyway, no worries, and I'll be doing the same once I've done a bit more research and worked out which parts the other manga / media cover.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Vols. 1-2

Now that I'm reading this, I'm even more impressed at how the anime adaptation handled it. The style that Shaft used perfectly matches the manga's dynamic layouts and exaggerated character drawings. They picked appropriate voice actors too; I'm hearing Chiaki Omigawa's voice whenever I read Hotori's dialogue, and it's so delectable.

I was surprised to discover that the climactic events in the final episode of the anime happened so early on in the manga. I think the later placement makes it stronger, after you've had more of a time to build up an emotional attachment to all the people in the shopping district. The way the anime expanded the scene where Hotori views how people on earth are reacting was really powerful.

Of course, I'm not in the anime thread so I'll just say that Soredemo really shows off Masakazu Ishiguro's creativity and wealth of ideas; like his later Getenrou, you can never predict what's going to come in the next chapter. Comedies often restrict themselves to a limited repertoire of gags which they continually go back to, but at least so far Soredemo has avoided that. Its large cast of enjoyable characters and well-developed setting allow it to continually come up with fresh scenarios. The maid cafe may be the "hook" and act as an initial fulcrum to organize characters around, but it doesn't play a large part in the manga as a whole. (Related to this, only the first two volumes portray Hotori in maid attire while the later ones show her in a variety of other clothes.) I think what makes this so good can be summed up by Ishiguro's comments at the end of the first volume:

"I'm sure that many of you have realized this, but I've never actually been to a maid cafe. In fact, I have no particular interest in maids. As I look back at the first volume, this was probably a good thing. Because this maid cafe is only one part of the stage that is the shopping district, and the shopping district is only one part of the setting that is everyday life."

El Sloth

Banned
I remember hearing a few years ago that there was a team of assistants/studio to help Miura when needed (otherwise the detail of some of the spreads really would explain the downtime, but that doesn't fit into the "this man is addicted to Idolmaster" narrative). Don't think I can ever find it again though.

I like Berserk's art and all, but sometimes it's just so extravagant in a completely unnecessary way.
Really? Then that brings up a whole new set of questions. Like, what is an example of when he "needs" them? How often does he take advantage of them? etc etc. I wish someone would do an interview with him and just straight up ask him what's up.

I can't say I ever felt the same, but I wouldn't complain if Miura toned it down a bit in exchange for a more regular release schedule. He could always do something similar to what Togashi does and just make them super detailed in the tankobon releases and something more simple for the individual magazine chapters.

No scribbles tho plz

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Were you expecting it to change?

Also, has it really already been a year since A Dance with Dragons came out? Dang.

It was printed in 2010, meaning they left that embarassing bit in the trade paperbacks being printed like 5 years later.

scy

It was printed in 2010, meaning they left that embarassing bit in the trade paperbacks being printed like 5 years later.

Oh. Well then. Nevermind!

Thinking about it, I probably prefer it when I get successfully tricked by a series because it gets more of a reaction of out me / makes it more memorable.

A big reason why I love the mystery genre :x

Anyway, no worries, and I'll be doing the same once I've done a bit more research and worked out which parts the other manga / media cover.

I just figured if the LNs are available, I'll go for them. Then I'll worry about the going through the rest.

Wiseblade

Lets play the "which one will finish first (if at all)" Game!

This week's contestants are (as always)...

Hajime no Ippo
HunterxHunter
Beserk

Ippo is pushing 1000 chapters, and Takamura is only one third of the way through his weight class challence and the Main Character has yet to truly step onto the international scene.

HunterxHunter Has been running about as long as One Piece, but has half as many chapters due to the constant and lengthy breaks takes to count his YuYu Hakusho money.

Beserk is by Miura, the perfectionis with a soft spot for idolm@ster.

Gentlemen... PLACE! YOUR! BETS!!

I'd bet on HunterxHunter ending first, closely followed by Ippo. i don't know anything about Beserk or the author, but it sounds like the series will outlive him.

Trick question! We all know HxH ends by default when he just doesn't bother returning from his 50th hiatus. Ippo will continue until the author finally gets jobbed by a gender-switch manga. Berserk will continue indefinitely because if he slows down his pace nobody will notice.

Noblesse

Well it's nice that Frankenstein is finally having a bit of trouble. Of course it won't mean much if Rai just comes in and one shots everyone.

duckroll

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Pretty much every single major manga author has their own studio office and assistants. Or is there some different arrangement here?

Hajime no Ippo
HunterxHunter
Beserk

Ippo is pushing 1000 chapters, and Takamura is only one third of the way through his weight class challence and the Main Character has yet to truly step onto the international scene.

HunterxHunter Has been running about as long as One Piece, but has half as many chapters due to the constant and lengthy breaks takes to count his YuYu Hakusho money.

I'd bet on HunterxHunter ending first, closely followed by Ippo. i don't know anything about Beserk or the author, but it sounds like the series will outlive him.

You forgot Dectetive Conan!

Wiseblade

Silver Spoon

The universe conspiring against Hachiken never ceases to amuse.

Trick question! We all know HxH ends by default when he just doesn't bother returning from his 50th hiatus. Ippo will continue until the author finally gets jobbed by a gender-switch manga. Berserk will continue indefinitely because if he slows down his pace nobody will notice.

Pretty much. Togashi will stop when he gets bored. Or if he somehow ends up broke he'll write a bunch of volumes to rake in the money. Morikawa is in his mid 40s now, He's probably just looking to coast on Ippo until retirement rather than end it and take a gamble on something else.

Thud

Hajime no Ippo
HunterxHunter
Beserk

Looking at Kochikame and Golgo 13, it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Dresden

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Pretty much every single major manga author has their own studio office and assistants. Or is there some different arrangement here?

No, the story gets around sometimes that Miura works alone with no assistants to help him. It sounds unlikely but I don't think it's ever been confirmed one way or the other. I just remembered hearing otherwise a while back, but I can't find the source for it.

duckroll

No, the story gets around sometimes that Miura works alone with no assistants to help him. It sounds unlikely but I don't think it's ever been confirmed one way or the other. I just remembered hearing otherwise a while back, but I can't find the source for it.

Maybe he doesn't hire full time assistants because he doesn't even work on the fucking manga regularly. Like, if he's really going to spend a few months playing Idolmaster instead of producing work, it would be a waste of money to have assistants come into the office if there's nothing to do. Lolz.

Dresden

Maybe he doesn't hire full time assistants because he doesn't even work on the fucking manga regularly. Like, if he's really going to spend a few months playing Idolmaster instead of producing work, it would be a waste of money to have assistants come into the office if there's nothing to do. Lolz.
I think I prefer the version where he works 20 hours a day doing slight shading on a horse's rump solo. :/

Angry Grimace

Every single manga author that does something people don't like has a persistent rumor that they don't have assistants.

Examples I've seen:

Kubo doesn't draw backgrounds because he has no assistants.

Togashi doesn't have any assistants other than forcing Takuechi to do it (I think she was mentioned as helping him with some aspects of HxH and doing some shading for him in Vol. 1, so it got transformed into her being the sole assistant. Also blatantly sexist that she become a full time assistant given Takuechi is a very successful mangaka in her own right)

Miura has no assistants which is why he takes so long.

Every single manga author that does something people don't like has a persistent rumor that they don't have assistants.

Examples I've seen:

Togashi doesn't have any assistants other than forcing Takuechi to do it (I think she was mentioned as helping him with some aspects of HxH and doing some shading for him in Vol. 1, so it got transformed into her being the sole assistant. Also blatantly sexist that she become a full time assistant given Takuechi is a very successful mangaka in her own right)

Unless Im getting him confused I thought there were images of Kubo with his assistants.

Kusagari

Examples I've seen:

Mangaka are basically enigma which allows people to come up with all kinds of crazy rumors about them.

Togashi gets the worst of it as people try to come up with reasons for why his art sucks and his numerous hiatuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom