• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Here's a more full-featured article on the site, with a few excerpts:
The company behind the digital manga site JManga.com is working on plans to offer readers unlimited access, for a limited time, to individual chapters of a wide variety of new and older manga. The site, which has not yet been named, will launch with 20 titles. Access would be free, but for a subscription fee, users will be able to access material faster and possibly avoid ads.
"The overall mission of JManga is to get out as wide a variety of manga as possible," Newman said. "Really, the manga that has historically been licensed and released in America is just a very, very small percentage of what is actually available. So as JManga, we want to open up the average reader's eyes to -- you like this minute percentage [of manga], look at the rest of it." The site will also include yuri (love stories between two women), yaoi (love stories between two men) and other manga targeted at adults, but because it is aimed at a general readership, it will not include adults-only content.

Explaining that the idea is to give impatient readers an alternative to illegal scan sites, Newman told CBR, "I think the reason that scanlation sites thrive is because they release content on such a fast schedule. I think the nature of entertainment on the internet is to have something pretty much instantaneous. It has to be there when you want it. So I think it is important for services like JManga and other services, such as Shonen Jump Alpha [Viz's digital magazine], to provide a legal alternative to that."
The as yet unnamed site site will be free, with a paid subscription option. Series will be updated weekly and the chapters will be rotated off the site once they are collected in a single digital volume on JManga. "It could be compared to the style that Crunchyroll is doing, where if you want the latest material, you pay for the service, but if you don’t mind waiting for it, you can access it [for free]," Newman explained, adding that some of the content may remain behind the paywall: "Ideally for JManga, we would like to make all the content free at some point. But it depends on the title, and it depends on publisher as well," he said.

upandaway

Ippo

I love how coach is downplaying Ippo.

I really love gamechanger Ippo fights (it's just been a while since the last one), so yeah. I expect some real development from this next fight. I'm kinda tired of this "repetitive but works" thing, it doesn't make sense because in the past, Ippo fights were always dynamic and full of twists. So hopefully the next fight ditches that concept.

Oda needs a vacation.
B-but.. I didn't... huh? :(

Wiseblade

Ippo

ib0C0eSS5QrbrR.png

FINALLY

Kurita

Meh, I'd like to see their line up before getting excited.
I've been thinking about starting Ippo... There are already 48 volumes out here and it seems like it will never end so... I'll think about it.

upandaway

I've been thinking about starting Ippo... There are already 48 volumes out here and it seems like it will never end so... I'll think about it.
It's not really a matter of reading it, it's more like a matter of starting. Once you get rolling, it's so dang hard to put down. When I was marathoning it, starting a fight basically meant dropping anything else in my life for the next however many hours.

It's in a bit of a slump right now, but even then everyone complaining are people reading the fights at the slow scanlation pace. It's much better in bulk.

scy

It's not really a matter of reading it, it's more like a matter of starting. Once you get rolling, it's so dang hard to put down. When I was marathoning it, starting a fight basically meant dropping anything else in my life for the next however many hours.

It's in a bit of a slump right now, but even then everyone complaining are people reading the fights at the slow scanlation pace. It's much better in bulk.

Yeah, all the complaints about Ippo are generally about the time spent between fights when it comes to serializations. Reading them in bulk is great, even for the less interesting fights.

Kusagari

Yeah, Ippo's fine in bulk.

But it can be torturous reading it week-to-week. The Woli fight in particular was the stuff of nightmares.

Reknoc

Caught up with JoJo last night, and Medaka Box tonight so I guess I'll get back into Toriko. Would catch up with Nura but I guess I may as well wait for that to finish... :(

Kusagari

There won't even be a piece of paper.

They'll get to Raftel, nothing will be there, and then Rayleigh pops up and goes "Didn't you guys know? One Piece was the adventure!"

Bleach
tumblr_m7d25n2S7M1qcrnx8o1_500.png

Cant believe something I hoped for actually means that Byakuya has to be off'd this is just tragic. To criticize Renji but then be the one to fall to death is depressing. Hopefully Renji steps up and defeats this dude, for surely he has gotten way strong this time. Oh and Ichigo's panel was great.

dramatis

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Kuzunoha Raidou Tai Kodokuno Marebito 01 (this title can't get any longer...)

ibt3lgZ0i8pjqo.jpg

I like the use of color.

The story was nice and simple, the art pretty good. Reading this also reminded me that I needed to get around to playing the games.

Naruto
tumblr_m7drbjIBcV1r8xgseo1_500.jpg

Rasengan was definitely nice to see. This was an excellent chapter. Tobi acting friendly with Kakeshi is odd (I mean why didnt he act like that since they entered this whole thing). Regardless, hopefully Kakeshi goes out with a bang, though I cant he do anything to a true Sharigan/Rinnegan user.

Lain

The Monster Next to Me vol 1
0a9099c4b5109f6f12ae85722b8771d6de208e9f.png

I enjoyed this first volume, thanks to the main girl, Shizuku Mizutani, having a cold personality (she's more interested in lists than in other people). Her interactions with Haru Yoshida, who is a very wild and naive guy make for some pretty funny situations.
Naturally being a shojo the ramifications can only be the usual ones "I think I like you.... sexually!", but seeing it all happen has its charm, in part imho thanks to the art style, which is quite nice, so nice in fact, that I hope this manga sells well enough here to have other works of Robico licensed and translated for my pleasure.

El Sloth

Banned
The Monster Next to Me vol 1
http://i.picpar.com/0a9099c4b5109f6f12ae85722b8771d6de208e9f.png[/img

I enjoyed this first volume, thanks to the main girl, Shizuku Mizutani, having a cold personality (she's more interested in lists than in other people). Her interactions with Haru Yoshida, who is a very wild and naive guy make for some pretty funny situations.
Naturally being a shojo the ramifications can only be the usual ones "I think I like you.... sexually!", but seeing it all happen has its charm, in part imho thanks to the art style, which is quite nice, so nice in fact, that I hope this manga sells well enough here to have other works of Robico licensed and translated for my pleasure.[/QUOTE]
!!!

I didn't know it came stateside! I love this series. Just some great comedy and the usual shenanigans. Off I go!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Naruto

I would rather have Tobi be anyone else, even some nameless guy who dies without a past, than have him be Obito. God damn it Kishi. At least we're back to Naruto again. I noticed I was a lot more interested in this chapter than I was in Sasuke's entire last fight.

It would be more interesting if it was really Guy's alter ego and the Guy they've been hanging out with all this time was merely a clone.

Barairo no Hoo no Koro 4
tumblr_lus3tpVpEY1qc6uooo1_250.jpg

The whole chapter was a bit depressing at times. Hope characters get some glimpses of hope, and if Morgan hangs in there. I didnt think all boys schools were that harsh
expulsion for boy x boy couples? Really?
. And it was my first time encountering
hetero sex, well one or so page
in manga... :/ Have high hopes for the next chapter, however its the final chapter and the series has a sequel or two so...

Toriko

Hah, I like how the beasts destroyed virtually every past adventure area in an instant. Now that's a way to hype them up.

Chapter was too short though.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Naruto: L(acking any logic)

What the fuck is this shit? Does Kishimoto think that all of his readers are complete boneheads? Really? They ate the chakra...hes got the chakra. He had to kill all of them, well, except the 8 and 9 tails. Obito thinks that this will somehow allow Infinite Tsukiyomi for no reason. Okay, no need for the war, simply capture (part of) Bee and revive Kinkaku and Ginkaku, put them in the jar, and that's it. What? Where does ANY of this make ANY sense at all?

It doesn't.

This is dumb.

Wait, going to go read back some of you guys's bullshit: What the fuck, you guys are excited about this Naruto vs Obito shit? There's no stakes, and literally NOTHING prior to it makes sense. Like, what the fuck? I mean, seriously, Obito is probably the stupidest character ever. What an IDIOT.

Bleach: A

YO WTF? He's not dead. I don't believe it. Not yet at least. This chapter was fucking awesome. Battle tactics and shit, not just regular slashy Bleach like everyone complains about. Byakuya's fights are always good, but this is the first time he straight up loses.

One thing I like that Kubo has done with this set up is that he has made both sides of the story he's telling genuinely interesting. In most cases, when he leaves a cliffhanger, you think "FUCK, now we're going to that other lame shit"...but in this case, we've got two storylines that make me want to know what happened next. By the end of this chapter, I had totally forgotten that we have the cliffhanger of who attacked Urahara until I actually wrote this. That means that whether he stays in Soul Society or goes back to Hueco Mundo I'm interested. This arc is great so far.

Byakuya isn't dead though, I swear.

Esch

Banned
Toriko 196

This is heating up a looot better than I thought it would these big ass battles remind me of Naruto on top of Gamabunta taking on the Shukaku.

I love Zebra's "cocky" gimmick :lol:

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toriko

Hang on, I'm kind of busy scooping my jaw off the floor.
There we go. This is going to be one hell of a battle.

Erigu

What the fuck is this shit? Does Kishimoto think that all of his readers are complete boneheads?
You're assuming he's aware of all those plot holes...

Really? They ate the chakra...hes got the chakra. He had to kill all of them, well, except the 8 and 9 tails. Obito thinks that this will somehow allow Infinite Tsukiyomi for no reason. Okay, no need for the war, simply capture (part of) Bee and revive Kinkaku and Ginkaku, put them in the jar, and that's it. What? Where does ANY of this make ANY sense at all?
It doesn't.
This is dumb.
Not that he really had to start a war to get his hands on Naruto and Killer Bee anyway, but yeah, the fact he only needed bits of the remaining beasts' chakra anyway adds yet another layer of silliness.

I mean, seriously, Obito is probably the stupidest character ever. What an IDIOT.
It's okay: they're all idiots.

Neon Dimension Ascension 1
tumblr_m7e0fpiwjf1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Rather suspenseful and such that almost felt like some other series but not quite. This Trigger CD seems pretty potent and I wonder if main character, Chitose, will ever try it. Do hope he saves his friend...hopefully.

That final page was shocking
the girl is litrally fused to a locker, and her phone in that!
, creepy.

Kusagari

What the fuck is this shit? Does Kishimoto think that all of his readers are complete boneheads? Really? They ate the chakra...hes got the chakra. He had to kill all of them, well, except the 8 and 9 tails. Obito thinks that this will somehow allow Infinite Tsukiyomi for no reason. Okay, no need for the war, simply capture (part of) Bee and revive Kinkaku and Ginkaku, put them in the jar, and that's it. What? Where does ANY of this make ANY sense at all?

It doesn't.

This is dumb.

Wait, going to go read back some of you guys's bullshit: What the fuck, you guys are excited about this Naruto vs Obito shit? There's no stakes, and literally NOTHING prior to it makes sense. Like, what the fuck? I mean, seriously, Obito is probably the stupidest character ever. What an IDIOT.

It's not even worth thinking about this shit. He could have warped into Konoha at anytime when Naruto was a baby, who the village barely gave a shit about, and promptly kidnapped him.

That's not even bringing him randomly declaring a war when his only forces were a bunch of fodder Zetsu. If Kabuto hadn't magically appeared to make the zombie army this war would have been him alone versus basically everyone.

Pimpwerx

Gantz
Why you suck so bad? Maybe it's me, but this chapter seemed to jump around a bit, or at least lacked smooth transitions. I didn't know why people were running or fight. It was a clusterfuck...which is all this series is nowadays anyway.

Naruto
So...um...it's pretty obvious that's Obito, right? He knows Guy and Kakashi. I'm assuming he's Obito...which is something most of us guessed when we first saw his mask anyway.

Bleach
I was hoping Kubo would approach this arc differently from past ones...he hasn't. Anyone really think Byakuya is dead? Not without a flashback IMO. PEACE.

PK Gaming

Bleach: A

YO WTF? He's not dead. I don't believe it. Not yet at least. This chapter was fucking awesome. Battle tactics and shit, not just regular slashy Bleach like everyone complains about. Byakuya's fights are always good, but this is the first time he straight up loses.

One thing I like that Kubo has done with this set up is that he has made both sides of the story he's telling genuinely interesting. In most cases, when he leaves a cliffhanger, you think "FUCK, now we're going to that other lame shit"...but in this case, we've got two storylines that make me want to know what happened next. By the end of this chapter, I had totally forgotten that we have the cliffhanger of who attacked Urahara until I actually wrote this. That means that whether he stays in Soul Society or goes back to Hueco Mundo I'm interested. This arc is great so far.

Byakuya isn't dead though, I swear.

(sniff) sorry bro, I can't let you do that Stat Fox. Jokes aside, that chapter was averaging like 3-4 panels a page... you can't give that an A for that. Even if you liked Byakuya getting his ass kicked (I sure did) the plot didn't really "go anywhere" and you know as well as I do that Byakuya isn't dead, so there's no tension.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It doesn't.

This is dumb.

The mere act of saying things don't make sense don't make them actually not make sense. The problem is you - there's only two options here: one, you don't like the explanation, which has nothing to do with it making sense or not; or two, you aren't understanding the explanation, which also has nothing to do with it making sense or not.

No offense, but you pretty much complain Naruto "makes no sense" every week for on the grounds you don't like the plot. Nobody said it was great art.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What.
Erm. No, it's not.
And he didn't simply state it didn't make sense, he explained why.

No, he didn't explain anything, he just rattled off a series of conclusory arguments without actually providing any basis for them.

"They ate the chakra...hes got the chakra. He had to kill all of them, well, except the 8 and 9 tails. Obito thinks that this will somehow allow Infinite Tsukiyomi for no reason. Okay, no need for the war, simply capture (part of) Bee and revive Kinkaku and Ginkaku, put them in the jar, and that's it. What? Where does ANY of this make ANY sense at all? "

The entirety of it is based on assumptions which don't have any foundation; for example, that you have to have the entirety of the beasts forms to construct a combination of them. Except they aren't physical beings, they're masses of chakra. Moreover, there's no foundation for the argument that he couldn't perform a genjustu with a imperfect 10 Tails. Stat just drew the conclusion that it doesn't follow in universe. Except in universe both of those make sense because the reader is given an explanaion.

Whether or not its good is a different story. The entire 10 Tails plot isn't very good, but that doesn't mean it's not internally consistent.

Erigu

No, he didn't explain anything.
"Tobi" just explained that he could execute his plan (his ultimate objective) even with a bit of chakra from the Eight-Tails and Nine-Tails.
He's had the former since shit-I-don't-even-remember, and the latter since Kabuto revived Kinkaku and Ginkaku.
So why did he wait until now? It's no fun unless you're surrounded by enemies who'll try to stop you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom