• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

"Tobi" just explained that he could execute his plan (his ultimate objective) even with a bit of chakra from the Eight-Tails and Nine-Tails.
He's had the former since shit-I-don't-even-remember, and the latter since Kabuto revived Kinkaku and Ginkaku.
So why did he wait until now? It's no fun unless you're surrounded by enemies who'll try to stop you?

I think there is an actual reason for why he waited. Even though he could have revived the Ten Tails with their chakra, he admits that it will be weaker in this chapter because they're not the real thing.

He was probably hoping he could easily capture Naruto and Bee when he engaged them, but that obviously isn't happening.

So, he just said fuck it.

Erigu

I think there is an actual reason for why he waited. Even though he could have revived the Ten Tails with their chakra, he admits that it will be weaker in this chapter because they're not the real thing.
He also plainly states that the Ten Tails doesn't have to be perfectly revived for his purposes...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"Tobi" just explained that he could execute his plan (his ultimate objective) even with a bit of chakra from the Eight-Tails and Nine-Tails.
He's had the former since shit-I-don't-even-remember, and the latter since Kabuto revived Kinkaku and Ginkaku.
So why did he wait until now? It's no fun unless you're surrounded by enemies who'll try to stop you?
Except that completely ignores basic logic/plot cues - Tobi didn't acquire the Nine Tails chakra until Darui sealed Kinkaku and Ginkaku and he was in battle the entire time after that; its not implausible at all because its' far more implausible to suggest Tobi could just stand there and summon the thing (which you're making an assumption has a 5 second cast time) and not manage to be stopped by the other 100,000 ninjas standing around them. He had the beasts outside the statue because he was trying to remove any plausible opposition that could stop him.

He also plainly states that the Ten Tails doesn't have to be perfectly revived for his purposes...
That isn't a plot hole, it's quibbling about why Majin Buu doesn't blow the Earth up with everyone on it to begin with. Obviously it's not ideal for whatever reason. It's not crossing any reasonable person's suspension of disbelief that he might want the fully formed beast before setting up his ultimate attack to avoid any potential drawbacks. You can start your car by jamming a screwdriver in the keyhole too - that doesn't mean it's ideal.

Moreover, Kurama is pretty clearly suggesting they would have to fight the 10 Tails, not just instantly get hit with Tsukiyomi.

Kusagari

Yeah, but having the thing at full power is still better to have. I think we can both agree on that.

If the Ten Tails does get revived, it will probably lose because it's weaker than at full power. So, I can't blame Tobi for actually trying to do something smart and cover all his bases.

Erigu

Except that completely ignores basic logic/plot cues - Tobi didn't acquire the Nine Tails chakra until Darui sealed Kinkaku and Ginkaku
Even assuming he couldn't simply feed them to the statue before that, they were sealed... was it the day before? Two days earlier? No reason to wait until you're surrounded by enemies to finally get to it, really.

and he was in battle the entire time after that
After Darui's fight? Nope, he wasn't.

Yeah, but having the thing at full power is still better to have. I think we can both agree on that.
In a fight, yeah. But like "Tobi" said, "don't misunderstand", for his plan, he doesn't need a perfectly revived Ten-Tails. I mean, that's the whole point of that retort of his, isn't it?

If the Ten Tails does get revived, it will probably lose because it's weaker than at full power.
Which is why it would have been a good idea not to wait until you're surrounded by enemies to finally get to it. "Tobi" had plenty of time for that before that fight, but naaah...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The mere act of saying things don't make sense don't make them actually not make sense. The problem is you - there's only two options here: one, you don't like the explanation, which has nothing to do with it making sense or not; or two, you aren't understanding the explanation, which also has nothing to do with it making sense or not.

No offense, but you pretty much complain Naruto "makes no sense" every week for on the grounds you don't like the plot. Nobody said it was great art.
lolwut?

Come on breh. It doesn't make sense. Obito's motives make absolutely no sense. It doesn't have to do with it being inherently good or bad based on what's happening. It's bad because what's happening lacks logic. I don't really like the plot, right, but you have to admit:

Tobi has been alive for whatever amounts of time; his ultimate goal is to revive the ten tails. There has been nothing stopping him from doing this. Why is a war necessary for this? Maybe if there was a war to capture the different Jinchuriki's and all of the people's respective countries had to stand against him, but no, he's already got 7/9ths. A war for the last two makes no sense when he had constant encounters with both. How did he know that the Kinkaku/Ginkaku Brothers had the Kyubi chakra in them? Well, why didn't he just revive them and put them in the jar? He had plenty of time to do that while he was parading around with Sasuke, chilling while he was killing Danzo. If this were so important, why did he send Sasuke to fight bee instead of doing it himself?

Erigu basically said what I would have said (thanks, breh) otherwise, but yeah.

No offense taken. I don't care much about Naruto anymore to actually type out long posts on it. Because it is you, who is obviously an intelligent reader, defends Kishimoto's own stuff with the logic he gave to you earlier in the manga (and it makes sense) with this:

Except they aren't physical beings, they're masses of chakra.

And then I read this:

7YCjD.jpg

Erigu

If this were so important, why did he send Sasuke to fight bee instead of doing it himself?
And then, why did he tell Kisame to let Zetsu take his place and lose on purpose against Killer Bee?
"See, it's so you could infiltrate their ranks and spy on them, so we'd have an advantage during the war I'm about to declare! And of course, the objective of the war is to get to Killer Bee, whom you've let go in the first place back when everybody thought he was dead and should soon be under heavy guard. It makes perfect sense!"

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
And then, why did he tell Kisame to let Zetsu take his place and lose on purpose against Killer Bee?
"See, it's so you could infiltrate their ranks and spy on them, so we'd have an advantage during the war I'm about to declare! And of course, the objective of the war is to get to Killer Bee, whom you've let go in the first place back when everybody thought he was dead and should soon be under heavy guard. It makes perfect sense!"
Damn I forgot about this lmao

Kusagari

In a fight, yeah. But like "Tobi" said, "don't misunderstand", for his plan, he doesn't need a perfectly revived Ten-Tails. I mean, that's the whole point of that retort of his, isn't it?

Which is why it would have been a good idea not to wait until you're surrounded by enemies to finally get to it. "Tobi" had plenty of time for that before that fight, but naaah...

I'll give you that he could have revived the Ten Tails and done Infinite Tsukuyomi in the period after he got the Kyuubi chakra and before he ran into Naruto.

But Tobi's done so many things that make zero sense, that I don't even want to bother nitpicking that.

It just falls into the long line of things that didn't happen because of plot. Just like him never kidnapping Naruto.

Big One

Banned
Of course Obito being Tobi makes no sense. Because of that, it makes perfect sense. This is pretty much standard for Naruto.

Just because of the name alone it makes perfect sense for them being one and the same. Anagrams are very very popular in Japanese fiction, and Naruto already takes so many ques from such great pieces of work in storytelling such as the Kingdom Hurts series.

Mr. Fix

I still consider Kisame's fake-out a retcon.

Kingdom Hurts series.

Fuck the direction KH took after 1.

Dynedom

Naruto

The only interesting thing coming out of the inevitable Obito reveal (huge swerve if it's not) is we might finally get a backstory to how Rin died (unless that was revealed earlier and I've totally forgotten). She is dead right? I'm asking because she would have been an obvious emotional fight for Kakashi via Edo Tensei but I don't remember ever seeing that. Complete missed opportunity. =\

Bleach

I don't remember ever seeing Byakuya completely annihilated like that ever. Yeah he's not dead but seeing Soul Society completely pushed to the edge is going to be entertaining.

If Kenpachi is the next to get his ass handed to him, this will be an awesome arc. Wonder if Kubo will finally use Yaziru to some extent in that fight.

Reborn

It just got real!

Soul Eater

Shut up noob, I can grab beams.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I think I completely skipped the Kisame shit because of how wasted Kisame's character ended up being.

Also, I know that it's water under the bridge now, but is anyone else disappointed that we didn't get to see Neji (or Lee for that matter; ESPECIALLY considering that Lee's fights are some of the best fights in the manga) fight once in the war? I mean, I thought Kishi made it a point to say that Neji was a jounin for a reason. His dad (or was it uncle) came back and everything and then ET got canceled...

Gantz
Why you suck so bad? Maybe it's me, but this chapter seemed to jump around a bit, or at least lacked smooth transitions. I didn't know why people were running or fight. It was a clusterfuck...which is all this series is nowadays anyway.

Naruto
So...um...it's pretty obvious that's Obito, right? He knows Guy and Kakashi. I'm assuming he's Obito...which is something most of us guessed when we first saw his mask anyway.

Bleach
I was hoping Kubo would approach this arc differently from past ones...he hasn't. Anyone really think Byakuya is dead? Not without a flashback IMO. PEACE.

Whoa... where have you been?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
(sniff) sorry bro, I can't let you do that Stat Fox. Jokes aside, that chapter was averaging like 3-4 panels a page... you can't give that an A for that. Even if you liked Byakuya getting his ass kicked (I sure did) the plot didn't really "go anywhere" and you know as well as I do that Byakuya isn't dead, so there's no tension.
nwQXN.png

This is swag.

Zonbicchi wa Bicchi ni Fukumaremasu ka? 02-03

Going to Starbucks will never be the same again.

And, while temple visit wasn't bad, ugh, stop with the reexplanations of what happened every chapter.

GManDH

im just waiting for both naruto and bleach to have the last epic battles and hopefully we wont have anymore story loopholes to fill. The way they resurrected the ten tails was dumb. But the fact that bee and naruto are still around and can fight alongside each other is pretty cool. if sasuke joins in with orchi to battle madara that would be weird. Bleach has been pretty awesome with the buildup of ichigo getting to soul society. i want to see people at full power and maybe we will get some more shigami for a couple of chapters.
P.S. ONE PIECE COME BACK!!!

nwQXN.png

This is swag.
He thinks that Bleach, like one piece, should have little to no character development. After all they are used to see very little to no character development in one piece. Developing Byakuya's character and other characters is the very essence of Bleach, since Bleach is about characters and not plot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I completely skipped the Kisame shit because of how wasted Kisame's character ended up being.

Also, I know that it's water under the bridge now, but is anyone else disappointed that we didn't get to see Neji (or Lee for that matter; ESPECIALLY considering that Lee's fights are some of the best fights in the manga) fight once in the war? I mean, I thought Kishi made it a point to say that Neji was a jounin for a reason. His dad (or was it uncle) came back and everything and then ET got canceled...

We did see Neji fight...ing. The problem is that virtually every side character has a legitimate character relevant edo tensei to fight, but it would take forever to make Neji beat up his undead Dad.

Angry Grimace

Even assuming he couldn't simply feed them to the statue before that, they were sealed... was it the day before? Two days earlier? No reason to wait until you're surrounded by enemies to finally get to it, really.

After Darui's fight? Nope, he wasn't.

Because two days before he didn't have the nine tails chakra at all.

You're just finding contrived reasons to complain about something that follows entirely doesn't follow because its really easy to complain something sucks because "it doesn't make sense" because that's a logic problem, as opposed to providing a reaonable basis for a subjective opinion about it. The 10T Plan sucks because casting a super Sharingan illusion on the moon is cartoon villiany, not because it doesn't follow logically.

Think about it: He's standing in the middle of a warzone. It isn't that much of a stretch to say he's not in a place where he can safely recall all of his beasts, pull the statue and do whatever you have to do to release the 10T. Sure, you can make it nonsensical by taking every single thing as literally as possible; e.g. Tobi is not shown directly fighting someone, so he is therefore standing around doing absolutely nothing. And again, you're just ignoring what I'm saying: the fact that a imperfect 10T theoretically can cast Tsukyomi doesn't mean that is the ideal way to do that; moreover, Kurama and the 8T are still available to fight the Juubi (which by admission has an unknown level of power) before it can just use the attack.

It's the same thing as saying Obito as Tobi doesn't make sense without actually hearing the explanation. It requires a series of very specific totally speculative assumptions to be true.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
We did see Neji fight...ing. The problem is that virtually every side character has a legitimate character relevant edo tensei to fight, but it would take forever to make Neji beat up his undead Dad.
You mean those two small panels of him back to back with Hinata? Lol

I'm talking about a fight of the magnitude of him vs. the spider dude during the rescue Sasuke arc. That was great. Seeing some new Neji would be awesome.

And he could pick and choose. New generation surpassing the old being a central theme of the manga = picking the new generation fighting the old as the fights in your war. Can't tell me that there was too much to go through when Kishi spent time on Naruto vs Raikage (two different occassions) for no reason, Darui vs two random characters that are now 'legends', Samurai dude vs that chameleon dude that beat the 3 sannin...but didn't show us the new generation that we as fans already know and like.

Pimpwerx

Has Lee done anything in the series other than get worfed in the chuunin arc? Dude jumped the shark when he took off the ankle weights. PEACE.

Angry Grimace

You mean those two small panels of him back to back with Hinata? Lol

I'm talking about a fight of the magnitude of him vs. the spider dude during the rescue Sasuke arc. That was great. Seeing some new Neji would be awesome.

And he could pick and choose. New generation surpassing the old being a central theme of the manga = picking the new generation fighting the old as the fights in your war. Can't tell me that there was too much to go through when Kishi spent time on Naruto vs Raikage (two different occassions) for no reason, Darui vs two random characters that are now 'legends', Samurai dude vs that chameleon dude that beat the 3 sannin...but didn't show us the new generation that we as fans already know and like.

Nobody said Darui vs. KGinkaku was a good fight, nor Samurai guy beating Sannin-killer with a single Flying Swallow was either.

He thinks that Bleach, like one piece, should have little to no character development. After all they are used to see very little to no character development in one piece. Developing Byakuya's character and other characters is the very essence of Bleach, since Bleach is about characters and not plot.

You really can't make a comment without talking about OP can you .

Angry Grimace

I'm pretty sure Byakuya is in love with his sister. It's pretty disturbing, even if they aren't really related.

I'm pretty sure Byakuya is in love with his sister. It's pretty disturbing, even if they aren't really related.
She is his sis in law. But I still disagree about Byakuya loves Rukia. It's already establish in the arrancar arc that Byakuya consideres Rukia his pride. Pride is very important to him, as a noble and a captain. I don't see how that translates that he is in love with Rukia honestly.

Erigu

Because two days before he didn't have the nine tails chakra at all.
It's like you don't even read...
Again, even assuming "Tobi" couldn't just feed Kinkaku and Ginkaku to the statue right away, he recovered them in their sealed state on the first day of the war, and then promptly vanished.
At that point, he had everything he needed to execute his plan. And yet he didn't.
And no, "Tobi" didn't spend the entire time fighting since then. He just waited. I guess he's simply not all that interested in winning this thing.

The 10T Plan sucks because casting a super Sharingan illusion on the moon is cartoon villiany, not because it doesn't follow logically.
It's both, really. And the latter annoys me more.

He's standing in the middle of a warzone. It isn't that much of a stretch to say he's not in a place where he can safely recall all of his beasts, pull the statue and do whatever you have to do to release the 10T.
So you're arguing that he couldn't just do that, say, during the night (while the resting ninja were getting attacked by a bunch of disguised Zetsu) because he risked getting spotted? Don't you think it would still have been a much better idea than to do what he's doing right now, i.e. the exact same thing except he's actually surrounded by several powerful ninja and a couple of tailed beasts who are trying to stop him?

Kurama and the 8T are still available to fight the Juubi (which by admission has an unknown level of power) before it can just use the attack.
Especially now that Tobi got himself surrounded, yeah.

C'mon, man.

Angry Grimace

It's like you don't even read...
Again, even assuming "Tobi" couldn't just feed Kinkaku and Ginkaku to the statue right away, he recovered them in their sealed state on the first day of the war, and then promptly vanished.
At that point, he had everything he needed to execute his plan. And yet he didn't.
And no, "Tobi" didn't spend the entire time fighting since then. He just waited. I guess he's simply not all that interested in winning this thing.

It's both, really. And the latter annoys me more.

So you're arguing that he couldn't just do that, say, during the night (while the resting ninja were getting attacked by a bunch of disguised Zetsu) because he risked getting spotted? Don't you think it would still have been a much better idea than to do what he's doing right now, i.e. the exact same thing except he's actually surrounded by several powerful ninja and a couple of tailed beasts who are trying to stop him?

Especially now that Tobi got himself surrounded, yeah.

C'mon, man.
Saying, "You don't read" when someone disagrees with you is kind of rich when you literally ignored everything I wrote to just write the same thing again. It's also a giant cop out response when I responded to every single one of the points you just made.

For the third time, it's not a plot hole that he wants to resurrect the perfected monster because nobody knows what its actual strength is - he is saying he doesn't know its strength and Kurama is telling you that they will have to FIGHT the beast, not just get hit with a one hit KO. Instead of just repeating the argument that Tobi could just summon it now, explain to me why that doesn't make complete logical sense. It is not a plot hole that you aren't given a 24/7 view into what characters are doing; if that argument had merit, virtually every series is nothing but plot holes.

Your theory requires a VERY specific set of speculative assumptions to announce that doesn't follow. You're just categorically dismissing every reasonable explanation by retreating in entirely conclusory fashion to making a ton of assumptions (primarily, the fact that he believes Infinite Tsukiyomi will work with an imperfect Juubi automatically means he doesn't want the complete beast AT ALL).

It's even more speculative to complain that "why didn't he do what he's doing right now?!" This line of reasoning invalid on its face because we haven't been given any information on exactly what Tobi is doing. You're drawing a conclusion based on a totally speculative theory that has no foundation for the underlying assumption.

Despite explaining this in detail just consider this: your entire argument falls apart when you consider the fact that Tobi was still actively attempting to obtain the Kyuubi and Hachibi after gaining the chakra from them - he clearly wanted to obtain the perfect Juubi, not merely an imperfect one. You literally have to posit the conclusion he was doing this for NO REASON AT ALL for your argument to continue to make sense considering this fact.

Wiseblade

Bleach? Character driven? LOLOLOLOL

Fullmetal Alchemist is character driven. Avatar: The last Airbender is character driven. Game of Thrones is character driven. Bleach is not character driven.

Bleach
lol. they really should kill every shinigami. Wait what happens when shinigami dies, they become hollow, or human or w/e?

naruto

jrpg final battle speech. wonder how long this fight will last. 10 chapters minimum?

ippo
Don't be a troll... don't be a troll...

I'm just saying if one is used to see one thing and not another thing and the other thing happened it would be considered bad because one is not used to seeing it when one reads/watches their preferred thing.

No your just to doing usual , PK Gaming never said anything about OP in his post .
You just assumed that because he like OP he can't judge a Bleach chapter on it's own merits without OP effecting his thinking and then you down play some part of OP .

Just because someone does not like Bleach chapter as much as you means there are comparing it to OP somehow .

Angry Grimace

She is his sis in law. But I still disagree about Byakuya loves Rukia. It's already establish in the arrancar arc that Byakuya consideres Rukia his pride. Pride is very important to him, as a noble and a captain. I don't see how that translates that he is in love with Rukia honestly.
I don't have any basis to believe this other than I just bet its true. And gross.

Yureka 01-96
This is a good MMO series. I like all the references that are fling around, no silly super seriousness of life or death and the fact that the game and the world in the game has so much potential for change made it much more enjoyable.

What a fun twist at the end of that last arc too.

Fullmetal Alchemist is character driven. Avatar: The last Airbender is character driven. Game of Thrones is character driven. Bleach is not character driven.

Bleach is driven by Rule of motherfucking cool.

It follows the logic of "It's cool, so it MUST makes sense!" rather than "Let's make something make sense before it's cool."

Still love the fucking manga to death though.

Angry Grimace

It follows the logic of "It's cool, so it MUST makes sense!" rather than "Let's make something make sense before it's cool."

I honestly don't see a ton of things in Bleach that legitimatly don't make sense, either. It follows along with its own logic; it's just boring because it constantly gets derailed constantly for fights which largely are all the same (explosion behind guy, other guy warps behind other guy). I just think the story is driven by Kubo's desire to draw specific panels.

My big problem with the current arc is that I don't find the Quincy to be an interesting villain. When I think about it, there's a couple of reasons why. First, I don't really remember their intro arc since it was literally like 5-6 years ago and they haven't been mentioned since beyond Ishida being around as Ichigo's least-useless human sidekick. Second, their arc seems somewhat random after the last two since Aizen was apparent the myth arc, but then got cut down extremely rapidly when it appeared Kubo got bored. I also just think their character design is bad. Ghost Nazis complete with garbled German aren't doing it for me.

Wiseblade

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Bleach is bad or that people shouldn't like it, just that Beam needs to be honest about what the series actually is and stop trying to take potshots at One Piece.

Bleach is character driven. And lol at Avatar.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Bleach is bad or that people shouldn't like it, just that Beam needs to be honest about what the series actually is and stop trying to take potshots at One Piece.
First you don't read Bleach so how would you know? Secondly everyone who follows, discuss, and analyse Bleach know its a character driven manga. Especially with a lot of fleshed out characters and the focus on character depth during fights, and interactions. I am honest because I believe and I know what i am saying. It's always characters who drive the plot and that makes it a character driven manga.

Angry Grimace

I don't blame Beam at all for the way he posts now. Every time he posts about Bleach, some smart ass goes out of their way to take a personal potshot at him for liking Bleach. It's kind of surprising that adults actually buy into that horseshit about needing to justify every fucking thing they like or don't like.

Erigu

Saying, "You don't read" when someone disagrees with you is kind of rich
Sadly, it's simply fitting, here.
Did you finally get the timeline right though, this time around? Do you realize, now, that "Tobi" got his bit of Eight-Tails chakra on the first day of the war, i.e. a while ago? And that he hasn't spent the whole time fighting since then? 'Cause you certainly didn't seem to, earlier, and I have yet to see you admit as much.

when you literally ignored everything I wrote to just write the same thing again.
Pretty much how I feel.

he is saying he doesn't know its strength and Kurama is telling you that they will have to FIGHT the beast, not just get hit with a one hit KO.
Because they're right there. Wouldn't have been an issue had Tobi executed his plan earlier, when he wasn't surrounded by a bunch of enemies.

Instead of just repeating the argument that Tobi could just summon it now
My argument was that he should have summoned it earlier. Guess I didn't quite repeat myself enough...

your entire argument falls apart when you consider the fact that Tobi was still actively attempting to obtain the Kyuubi and Hachibi after gaining the chakra from them
Despite the fact he just said that he didn't really need them to execute his plan, in this week's episode, yes. That's precisely what makes no sense, in fact. Thanks for keeping up.

Ah, fuck that. You're just being silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom