• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Beelzebub
Here I thought it would be a troll painting but damn this is pretty big. Kugayama has to be a girl,maybe too flat chested that people think otherwise.

PK Gaming

You're right, we're just full of shit. I can't possibly explain why TLA is leagues above Bleach in terms of characters & story arcs. What would I know anyway?

You win, we lose :x

Gazzawa

Is act 3 nearly over? I stopped when they found all those Gantz' in Germany

I'd say we'll have a decent conclusion before the end of the year man.
He is hinting at some sort of conclusion.
Theres still plenty for you to dive into. You should read a block of about 20 chapters and wait for it to finish. Great stuff.

Kurita

Nura volume 1
I've always been interested by the yokais stuff.
Great art, I like the fight scenes, Nura just doesn't give a shit and cut everybody in half.

survivor

Banned
Did Oricon just recently started posting 50 manga in their weekly sales ranking or was ANN just too lazy and always posted the top 30 instead?

Because you can't justify anything. You and and some others resort to one liners because you have nothing else to say, and you can't prove anything that you claim.

Prove me wrong! Put up or shut up.

Probably a bad idea, but I'll bite. First, your point about Ichigo driving the plot doesn't work, he's as much a pawn of others as Luffy or Naruto. Wasn't the entire soul society arc set up by Aizen? Sure, Ichigo went to save Rukia, but Aizen was the one who put Rukia in danger in the first place, and later Aizen used Ichigo's entrance into Soul Society as a distraction to further his own purposes. And isn't One Piece basically entirely driven by Luffy's decision to become Pirate King? Isn't that the starting point of the whole series?

But backing up a bit, I'm getting drawn in to your definition of a character driven story, which is frankly pretty weird. It's not whether the character's drive the plot--that's basically every story ever. What makes it "character driven" is that the characters are the most interesting part of the story. I don't really see the characters in Bleach as more complex, or realistic, or interesting than any other shonen battle series. Ichigo is the generic male lead who wants power in order to protect his friends, just like Luffy and Naruto. I barely remember that, at one point, he was guilty over his mother's death, because it's honestly not very important to the story. How do I know that? Because Kubo has spent virtually no time on it, or anything related to Ichigo's personal life, since he first left for Soul Society.

Don't think of this as Bleach bashing. I don't think any mainstream shonen battle series would really qualify as character-driven, and they don't need to. These kind of series are supposed to be about cool superpowers and interesting adventures, not deep psychological portraits. I would say that ATLA makes an attempt (and not an always successful one) to make their characters realistic, relatable, and develop over time, but that's a very different kind of series than Bleach.

Dresden

Best thing to do whenever Wednesday arrives is to just skim over and ignore all the viking/big one/etc Bleach posts. They're all just angry fanboy shit, anyways. It's always so full of venom and both sides always have something to prove.

This is why smugtaf > shonengaf.

survivor

Banned
Best thing to do whenever Wednesday arrives is to just skim over and ignore all the viking/big one/etc Bleach posts. They're all just angry fanboy shit, anyways. It's always so full of venom and both sides always have something to prove.

This is why smugtaf > shonengaf.

Minamoto is the greatest smut manga of all time. Fuck all the TLRD fanboys

Wiseblade

It's better than Pokemon Special

iblmEf4pc7ODJn.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Anyone else think Naruto will get his own pseudo-Ten Tails?Just needs the 8 tails' and Shukaku's chakra.

Also, I think Tobi is using Obito's body, but Isn't Obito himself.
Or is Kagami
As Big One explained earlier, there's no reason it would just be that random guy from a single chapter. There isn't any weight to that reveal at all, and there's no evidence. It might as well literally be any random Uchiha or like Naruto's evil twin brother or something.

survivor

Banned
Again 18

Akira faces are so awesome
zGNHo.jpg

Best chapter so far and that's saying a lot seeing how the previous chapters were all great. This is probably the first Akira centric chapter and she really needed one. Ever since their Again, we only looked at Imamura and his new life without seeing how Akira is coping with her new life. She is still stalking Hiro and isn't popular like she used to be, but at least she didn't fuck up the new timeline too much.

The Hunter x Hunter spoiler panel was the funniest thing to come out of the manga

Mr. Fix

Phhh. Beam over analyzes Bleach. You can do the same thing to a ton of other manga/material and still make it seem deep. Keep sugar-coating, Beam. You forget that Kubo's primary goal is to design characters and make them look cool before anything else.

Don't forget that the members of the OP crew have goals of their own.

Also, shout-outs to Orohime and Chad because who the hell are they again?

Every single plot device or trigger is caused by Ichigo directly or indirectly. Luffy or Naruto do not advance the plot. They are merely puzzles in a greater plot. Ichigo advances the plot.

Except Ichigo was a puzzle in Aizen's plot.

For instance because Ichigo went to Hueco Mundo, the Vander Reich attacked Soul Society.

You also seem to forget Luffy's influence in the war of the best. But I bet you tuned that out. Way to be selective.

But it's okay you know, keep doing what you're doing; it's so blatantly obvious that you're mad Bleach gets a ton of shit as opposed to OP.

tumblr_lonsz9If8B1qhf3au.gif

i think tobi is using zetsu(or his dna) to keep his body together, as you guys should have noticed, the guy doesn't bleed blood, his body breaks apart when hit and goo spills out. in fact, im gonna guess that Orochimaru made zetsu.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i think tobi is using zetsu(or his dna) to keep his body together, as you guys should have noticed, the guy doesn't bleed blood, his body breaks apart when hit and goo spills out. in fact, im gonna guess that Orochimaru made zetsu.

That's largely the same prediction I made like 6 pages ago

That's largely the same prediction I made like 6 pages ago

yea but i made it like a year ago :),

anyway, how will tobi go about casting an infinite tsukyomi? I thought that was itachi's genjutsu, not a genjutsu that all sharingan eyes possess. Maybe sasuke can do it now since he has itachi's eyes but we really haven't seen him go all out.

survivor

Banned
The full top 50 (it was even top 100 at a time) is only available for people who has a sort of subscription with Oricon. There's a 2ch thread where people compile the charts.
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/music/3914/1105682256/

This is awesome, will help me a lot tracking down a lot of the series that never registered in the top 30. Thanks.

edit: fuck, I can't find Minamoto :(

edit2: A Girl by the Sea sold 14,658, not bad Asano

Angry Grimace

anyway, how will tobi go about casting an infinite tsukyomi? I thought that was itachi's genjutsu, not a genjutsu that all sharingan eyes possess. Maybe sasuke can do it now since he has itachi's eyes but we really haven't seen him go all out.

I made it before the series started

Kusagari

Sasuke has had Tsukuyomi for a while, but his sucks compared to Itachi's.

He tried it back in the Bee and Danzo fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom