• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
Random yuri manga drive-by:

So it's the standard yuri story, but it was cute because it shows how the two girls meet each other in two different chapters that run in parallel to each other. It's a neat concept for a one shot anyway.
I see yuri crime in the manga neighborhood is on the rise. Gangs spreading their sphere of influence from the inner city schools in Anime City.

Radec

Bleach

Wow, I really hope Byakuya is dead. Not that I hate him or something, but Bleach really needs a main character to fucking die already!.

Kenpachi on the other hand will give a good fight on that long hair Van. He might kill him without his Eyepatch, but the Boss will surely own him.

Pandora Hearts 15 - 22

The writer made such an interesting and compelling backstory that I just want more. I want to know everything about that which happened 100 years ago. Stopping at
Alice's death
with a visit from Vincent raised so many questions. Gil's backstory neds to be elucidated immediately. Ill miss Cheshire though, and I hope Jack appears again, speaking through Oz gave some pretty awesome panels for Oz.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Pandora Hearts 15 - 22

The writer made such an interesting and compelling backstory that I just want more. I want to know everything about that which happened 100 years ago. Stopping at
Alice's death
with a visit from Vincent raised so many questions. Gil's backstory neds to be elucidated immediately. Ill miss Cheshire though, and I hope Jack appears again, speaking through Oz gave some pretty awesome panels for Oz.

Oh man, each chapter after the next arc, Lutwidge Academy, is going to be good for you. It foreshadows, makes you speculate and keeps you on your toes. Also now you understand why Break is so awesome. Oh Hatter.

Kyuur

Naruto

Actually really enjoyed this chapter. It's nice to see everyone fighting, instead of just Naruto. Especially Gai and Kakashi, who I always enjoy more time spent on.

Bleach

Kenpachi panel made me so happy. It is sad that he can't just kill everyone and end the arc. Maybe he could force them to retreat so that Kubo doesn't have to kill off every other captain? Nah, who am I kidding, he's going to die. :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kubo has forgotten Kido exists.

Tbh I have always been disappointed that Kido doesn't play a larger part in bleach cause at times it can be much more interesting and cool compared to the standard bleach fights.

Despite the fact that you know, he used a Kido spell to defeat Aizen, but hey details.

One Piece
Chapter made more sense reading a better translation .
Also CC has lost control of smiley , once again a mad scientist has lost control of his creation .

HSDK
I guess we see Miu fighting style has become more aggressive after what happen to her .
Nothing else other that that happen .

Radec

Kubo has forgotten Kido exists.

Tbh I have always been disappointed that Kido doesn't play a larger part in bleach cause at times it can be much more interesting and cool compared to the standard bleach fights.

Is there even a Kido that is stronger than a Bankai skill? except ofcourse the ones that Aizen did.

gunbo13

Further into KNIM and I have to say:

Holy crap. Team Aoi.
There's only one good female character in KNIM and it isn't her.
Three hands?!
Three hands plus feet (that hidden CQC). Also, most of his clothing is reiatsu seals.
Bleach
I think that event would potentially be closest to the hardest hitting moment in Bleach since that time in Las Noches when Ichigo had that hole blasted through his chest.
People cared when that happened?

Is there even a Kido that is stronger than a Bankai skill? except ofcourse the ones that Aizen did.

Kido would not work because quincies use reshi as weapons and kido is made out of reshi. If the quincies got caught in a bakudo the quincy could use vollstandig and just suck the reshi out of it.

Dynedom

Been burning through KNIM and I hate everyone in this manga. Why am I continuing?

Indeed, only Yuzuki is good, because at least her trolling adds some entertainment.

Seems like the truth. Just started the college arc. Let's see where this goes. Blackmail-sempai seems like she'll be interesting.

Dynedom

KHR

I think KHR and Beelzebub are the only shounen that consistently make me smile. Really fun chapter. Shame that the "super team" at the end will probably get annihilated or something.

Wiseblade

Naruto

A whole chapter to show off Tobi's intangibility powers? Lame. Okay, "lame" is a bit harsh, but it wasn't very interesting.

One Piece

Exposition chapter! This on the other hand, was interesting.

I can't do rage readings anymore. Hetakoi broke me

Sounds promising.

Kurita

One Piece
Not much happening, more action next week I guess. Not a bad chapter though.

Punpun volume 3
The uncle talking about his massive boner. Priceless. Amazing volume, really liked it.

I bought the first two volumes of Magi, I Am A Hero and Shonan Junai Gumi. Also bought the first volume of Blood Lad. So many things to read.

survivor

Banned
Punpun volume 3
The uncle talking about his massive boner. Priceless. Amazing volume, really liked it.
Oohh, you are reading Punpun?

You know how I said Solanin is the best slice of manga yesterday? Well Punpun is the best slice of life manga that is full of angst. Great stuff

Oh man. I think I need to read just so I can share your rage.
I dropped it after that volume. I just knew I wasn't ready to handle the upcoming fallout of the MC fucking up his relationship.

Wiseblade

Hetakoi 5

Way to show gratitude to the guy who just saved your life.

i4XMHbyhXn2wr.png

You tell her!

Bleach

I read this post on OMF and i loved it. It´s written by Milareppa

Cherry blossom symbolism at full effect in this chapter. Not entirely surprising, given the content.

Renji reacted to what happened to Byakuya in a similar manner to the way Hitsugaya reacted to what happened to Hinamori, or the way Komamura was going to react to what Aizen did to Tousen had Ichigo not intervened just in time, or the way Yumichika was preventing from reacting to Ikkaku by Hisagi and Kira.

At the end, Byakuya had both his pride and his dignity shredded along with his body. More than that, as Renji's cry (stop!) showed, As Nodt didn't simply go for the kill, he went for the overkill. There's a nasty edge to As Nodt that I think we've only seen the surface of.

But then a power like his wouldn't (usually) be in the hands of someone nice.

All the way through this manga, I've made comparisons between Byakuya and Gin. Although their personalities and their beliefs were different, they ended up playing similar roles. It's even been lampshaded in the manga itself: they were approximately the same age, they were contrasted in the TBTP arc (Gin so utterly focused, Byakuya so utterly unfocused), they became captains at the same time, they played the same role (Byakuya in the Soul Society arc, Gin in the Arrancar arc) and, in the end, this chapter echoes Chapter 416 (in both a compare and contrast way) right down to one having fluttering cherry blossom petals and one having fluttering snowflakes (both are dual themes of love and the transience of life) and the final move inflicted on them in the chapter was reminiscent of how their zanpakutous worked (reminiscent in Gin's case, actual in Byakuya's).

Unlike Gin, however, Byakuya has not passed on a torch, there is no sense of hope that accompanies his chapter. Indeed, Kubo even depicted him as close to tears as it's possible to draw a character without depicting actual tears (the blood that trails from his eyes like tears). I can see fans having a debate about our blond-haired quincy's comment, however. I've read two translations and they both say 'It seems...'. Woolly comments lead to debate.

Anyway, that was my big comment, the comparisons between Gin and Byakuya have continued right to the very end for them. Even in defeat, it's there, and there's a lot about this chapter that's reminded me of Chapter 416.

Even down to Matsumoto and Renji, in fact. Matsumoto was frankly lucky that Aizen was lazing about and that Ichigo turned up when he did (since Aizen had started to move towards her). Renji didn't have that luck.

Our second quincy comes back. No surprise to the reader. Also no surprise is that the second quincy comes back at the worst possible moment for Renji. We have a clue to something we've already speculated about: that two quincies were dispatched to the Sixth Division because they did indeed have information that the two commanders both possessed bankai.

We also have a clue to the possibility that a quincy can indeed steal more than one bankai at a time. That said, it's still ambiguous (it could have been a reference to them having two medallions available) but definitely a possibility.

And we're not allowed to see who took out Rukia. That, I think, is interesting.

Kubo again echoes what he's probably expecting readers to be thinking: the fights are dragging a bit. Apparently, Buckbeard and Blondie might want to tweak that when they get the chance but it also tells the reader something that's already obvious: the Stern Ritter aren't exactly going all out at the moment.

Another interesting observation about that conversation: in both translations I read, Buckbeard comes across as separating himself and Blondie out from the Stern Ritter, as if the Stern Ritter are below them. That's not surprising for Buckbeard, but it's interesting for Blondie, especially since he's still giving off an Ishida vibe.

And then we have Kenpachi who is unsurprisingly doing rather well. That said, if Buckbeard was prepared for Ichigo having a bankai that couldn't be medallised, I suspect he has ideas about how to handle Kenpachi, too.

We'll have to see what Buckbeard has in store for Kenpachi and whether or not it works.

So, the cherry blossom has touched the ground at last. I have a haiku poetry book that is devoted solely to the cherry blossom symbolism. It contains 3,000 sakura poems and it barely touches the surfaces of the amount of sakura poetry that exists in Japan.

The mind is what
brings cherry blossoms
so close to hell!
~ Kisei (c.1700)
( trans. Robin d. Gill)

I especially loved the bolded part.

Stoof

Naruto

Better than that Sasuke nonsense, though the action was hard to follow.

One Piece

Decent chapter, guessing there will be more action next week since this was an explanation chapter. Wonder if Sanji's team can stop the slime.

Wiseblade

I'm sick and tired of the "outwardly cheery girl has troubled past with ex-boyfriend/crush and has given up on romance" trope. It's just so played out and boring...

Finalow

Naruto
nice one but I agree with this guy, the action wasn't really easy to follow.

One piece
meh, pretty boring saga for me especially when you don't have a decent battle.

Bleach
lol jk, dropped it after Aizen.

dramatis

I'm sick and tired of the "outwardly cheery girl has troubled past with ex-boyfriend/crush and has given up on romance" trope. It's just so played out and boring...
Would it be better if it's an "outwardly cheery guy has troubled past with ex-girlfriend/crush and has given up on romance"?

Wiseblade

Would it be better if it's an "outwardly cheery guy has troubled past with ex-girlfriend/crush and has given up on romance"?

No, but It's always a girl. If anything, the guys are worse. EVERY SINGLE ONE can be described as " Polite, friendly teen who had little trouble being friendly with girls, but has never had a girlfriend. In fact his own sexual desires shock and repulse him. has (at least one of) two friends: One more perverted and absolutely hopeless with women, the other is a seasoned vet, with a different woman every chapter."

One Piece
tumblr_m7qbfpvQdA1r4rdt6.bmp

Really disappointing chapter considering we had to wait a week or so for this mess. I dont understand why Monet's heart was on the line, shouldnt the heart of the one to make the deal have been on the line, not Law and Monet but Law and the Clown? Limited screentime of actual characters ones care about were really lacking too, so it was difficult to feel much of any care beyond one or two panels, which is rather unfortunately. Really, this chapter will ultimately work better animated then this way.

The dragon once again highlights one of the largest criticisms people have pertually maintained against Oda. Menacing cool creatures being reduced to kiddy looking incarnations straight out of the How to Train Your Dragon, ruined this chapter, just like it ruined that movie, it is just baffling and definitely not what I ever expected a dragon to be like. Shouldnt it be blowing fire or using other elements, scaring people or being in league with them, and not reduced to a slave munching goofily on a piece of bland meat? One Piece is not for people interested in Dragon Tales but in hardcore action so it felt out of place and ruined the chapter.

survivor

Banned
No, but It's always a girl. If anything, the guys are worse. EVERY SINGLE ONE can be described as " Polite, friendly teen who had little trouble being friendly with girls, but has never had a girlfriend. In fact his own sexual desires shock and repulse him. has (at least one of) two friends: One more perverted and absolutely hopeless with women, the other is a seasoned vet, with a different woman every chapter."

You just described the cast of Chronicles of Street Observation Research and I'm pretty sure you never read it lol

survivor

Banned
Mashumaro Ecchi 1

This has the potential to be a rage inducing dumb manga. It has all the ingredients for countless misunderstandings, NTR, tears, and angst.. Also since we are talking about dumb protagonists, the main boy just rejected having sex with his girlfriend for some stupid philosophical reason. Such a good start down the road of mediocrity.

Yet it is awesome. What a conundrum!

It's running dangerously close of getting too repetitive.

Anteater

One Piece

So it's just everyone being careless once again, enemies are probably all weak sauce and will get their ass kicked once they get out and figure out how to fight caesar. Looking forward to what Sanji's group will do.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Naruto
So we see his bullshit hax technique for the 500th time, and we see his mask gets cracked for the 10th time.

8 tails, naruto, kakashi and gai scratch his mask in a chapter.

konan tore off his arm and blew 30% of his mask off in 3 pages.

Puzzle+ 1-END

LWGDi.png

Sure is great when the last few pages of a series are wat because the author wasn't able to explain what was happening properly. Eh, no great loss. Premise was interesting enough (girl -vs- infinitely respawning box), otherwise it was pretty forgettable.

Also first LN get:

Will probably never read it for fear of tainting my opinion of the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom