• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Kaiji Part 2 - vol 10, 11, 12, 13 End

30LT2.jpg
5Ik9z.jpg
w7WIc.jpg
bbsay.jpg

Now comes the craziest part of Kaiji's plan and it's defeating the 3 plates. You would think he would tamper with them, try to make fake ones and replace them, or something simple like that, but instead he tilts the entire fucking building. Why is Kaiji such a crazy bastard? Plus his method of tilting the building was also cool. Instead of relying on construction workers or tilting the building by breaking stuff, he just used good old water to do it. I'm still unsure if it's feasible in real life but it made sense in the manga.

I can't believe how much hype it was when the first two balls hit the third plate, Fukumoto at his best. My other favourite from the entire Bog arc has to be when the pipes got filled with balls making it impossible for the other balls to fall in the pipes in the first and and second plate. Kaiji's reveal of that part was so cocky and amazing even though he never anticipated it or had it as part of his original plan. Also I feel sorry for Ichijou's heart. I just can't imagine how he is handling this tense situation where any ball can end his life.

Ichijou really defended the Bog very well. There is the forest of death that only allows very few balls to navigate through it successfully, then you got the gates that he can easily manipulate via sensors to block all the balls trying to enter, and then you got the 3 plates that can be tilted at will. And if that wasn't enough he got his last trump card which is the wind around the winning hole that will prevent any ball from entering it.

Speaking of Fukumoto being at his best, I really loved some of the imagery he used like when the two balls were hitting the target. There is also the demonic Bog that wants to eat Kaiji alive. My favourite has to be the way he depicted the balls in the last plate as dancing ghosts, pretty cool.

Just when Kaiji was at his lowest point making him resort to begging Ichijou to forgive him and let the match end in a tie, a true hero arrives and his name is Jesus Sakazaki. This gave Kaiji a good fighting chance which led to this awesome scene. I honestly thought they were going for the whole "let the ball jump over the wind barrier" thing they hinted at from 12th volume but instead Kaiji just brute forced his way to the winning hole. And finally, after 7 long volumes, Kaiji finally won. Too bad he got tricked again and lost almost all of his money. The ending is pretty much the same thing as the anime. I suspected they would have 1 or 2 chapters setting up the next part of the manga.

This was a pretty awesome read. I was afraid that knowing the outcome will make reading through the long Bog arc a chore, but it was awesome. I might even say I enjoyed this more than the anime. Probably cause I didn't have wait to a week for each episode just to see Kaiji crying and balls dancing. Part 3 is the mahjong arc which I'm having my doubts I will enjoy. I guess depending on how much explaining Fukumoto does for the games and tactics, I might end up liking it.

El Sloth

Banned
TWGOK 196

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/manga/twgok196.png[/IMG

[I]goddamn[/I]. [b]forget chihiro[/b], keima's mum is where it's at[/QUOTE]
I'll overlook it this time, Wonzo, but [i]tread carefully[/i].

Your waifu fan club membership card is at stake.

survivor

Banned
Reading more one shots

Bunnies

Pretty funny ending but outside of that it's forgettable.

Chiruru, the Girl with Supernatural Powers

I don't even know how this is a story. Two girls talk to each other other, one of them has super powers or something to read minds. They go away, the other girl's parents are getting a divorce, so she starts crying and runs away. The parents chase after her and decide to give their relationship another chance. What the hell was the point of the other girl with super powers?

The Crimson Boy

Too confusing, I'm still unsure on the gender of Midori and what sort of relationship was going on with that old dude.

Dead Flowers

The best one shot out of the ones I read right now. I definitely would have liked it if it was a full series just to flesh out the characters and the plot more. The art was pretty good too.

Extracurricular Lessons

This was pretty funny. It's about a dead girl haunting her teacher and messing around with her. Should have been a normal series with the ghost trolling in each chapter.

Koguresou Monogatari 1-7

A charming little manga about a bunch of people who live in an apartment. It's pretty standard josei slice of life stuff, but it's fairly well done. Needed more peeper-kun though.
Art looks pretty solid, will read

upandaway

Please explain...
Some possible stuff are
- The Dragon King will be one of the dragon slayers (like Kreed said) chosen at the festival / OR looking at the "Vice-logia" thing, there's a hierarchal structure there and there's also a king
- The dragons raised random kids for the purpose of the festival / for the purpose of having them (kids) kill them (dragons) or maybe kill the aforementioned king
- The dragons have been following all of their actions all along, and talking about who's dragon slayer will beat who's (which is hilarious. "Go Natsuzard! I choose you!")

This was a pretty awesome read. I was afraid that knowing the outcome will make reading through the long Bog arc a chore, but it was awesome. I might even say I enjoyed this more than the anime. Probably cause I didn't have wait to a week for each episode just to see Kaiji crying and balls dancing.
I went the manga -> anime route and it worked just as well. As long as some time passed, FKMT stuff are surprisingly rereadable (considering the genre).

I really need to read more of his stuff but there's nothing fully translated.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hmmm hmmmm maybe I should read Genshiken part two. I've read the entirety of part one and I enjoyed it and for some reason I haven't even caught a glimpse of the 2nd part yet.

Is it good?

upandaway

Just caught up with HxH. Another hiatus? I hate this author almost as much as Miura. SMH. PEACE.
If it makes you feel better, I'm confident that HxH will be back by January at the latest, because of the HxH movie. Jump always puts out a special chapter to tie in with the recent author-bound movies, and Shueisha and Togashi would be stupid not to have HxH serialized during that time.

It's even possible they'll start something like 3 months before the movie, so they'd have another volume to put out close to it. Not likely, though.

Fairy Tail 293:

I can't speak for upandaway, but based on that speech and the carving at the end of last chapter, we will probably see Natsu becoming King of the Dragons by the end of the series.

That´s not the meaning at all. There´s already a king dragon. My bet is Acnologia being the dragon king.

Akito

Hmmm hmmmm maybe I should read Genshiken part two. I've read the entirety of part one and I enjoyed it and for some reason I haven't even caught a glimpse of the 2nd part yet.

Is it good?
It has a different feel to part one but I would say so yes. It focuses on mostly different characters and their "problems", now cross-dressing and fujoshism, the latter with much more self-irony and without the angst as with Oguie though. more Madarame is always a good thing and Sue is still the single most amazing character there.

ibh1oXKeN2NlTp.jpg

Wiseblade

If it makes you feel better, I'm confident that HxH will be back by January at the latest, because of the HxH movie. Jump always puts out a special chapter to tie in with the recent author-bound movies, and Shueisha and Togashi would be stupid not to have HxH serialized during that time.

It's even possible they'll start something like 3 months before the movie, so they'd have another volume to put out close to it. Not likely, though.

The last time HxH started up again was around the time of the new anime debut, right? The there's a solid chance of the same happening again especially with Togashi looking to milk the series for all its worth.

upandaway

The last time HxH started up again was around the time of the new anime debut, right? The there's a solid chance of the same happening again especially with Togashi looking to milk the series for all its worth.
HxH came back somewhere in July/August I think, and the anime started in October. I didn't really pay attention to the volume releases during that time, but yeah.

And the movie makes this much more likely than the anime, because if Strong World and Naruto are anything to go by (though it's not a lot), these movies are big deals for manga readers, and they sort of explode. It's almost guaranteed HxH will be serialized by then. Plus there's possibly a chapter 0.

Like I said Shueisha and Togashi would have to be retarded not to cash in. It's not even about milking, it's about normal logic.

Kreed

Fairy Tail 292 and 293:

That´s not the meaning at all. There´s already a king dragon. My bet is Acnologia being the dragon king.

Maybe you need to review the last two chapters again:

1) At the end of the 292, we got a painting/carving of a human fighting a Dragon and we're told about "The Dragon King Festival, the Banquet of Dragons, Humans, and Demons", which was the previous name of the games going on right now.

2) At the end of chapter 293, Igneel discusses the potential of the Dragon Slayers and wonders if a Dragon Slayer/Humans can exceed Dragons or if it is a dream and then says the Dragon King Festival is upon us. Now, I'm just making an assumption here, but I'm going to take a guess that this is the same Dragon King Festival that was mentioned in chapter 292.

Now, knowing these two things, would you like to further explain your "That's not the meaning at all" comment and the rational behind it or why knowing the two facts above have lead you to believe that we WON'T be seeing the Dragon Slayers fighting the Dragons at some point?

I'm baaack.

Fairy Fail 291 - 294
Lucy as useless as ever, if only to serve as a stepping stone to Natsu. Yay dragons.

History's Greatest Fanservice Miu 483, 484
Pom pom pom. Uneventful chapters overall.

The World Only God Knows 195 - 196
Game Chair #1 ha ha

Beelzebub 159 - 166
Lol so much randomness.
Sexy-kawa !!!

Screaming Lessons 21

HpLAV.png

hahahaha, oh man. Karmic retribution is one thing, but when the innocent get fucked over it's on another level entirely. So good.

Tower of God 1-20

Looks like I have a new favorite Manwha webcomic (not saying much, but still). Anak is pretty awesome.
Good man. And yep, she's one of the best characters from the first part.

30LT2.jpg
5Ik9z.jpg
w7WIc.jpg
bbsay.jpg

Now comes the craziest part of Kaiji's plan and it's defeating the 3 plates. You would think he would tamper with them, try to make fake ones and replace them, or something simple like that, but instead he tilts the entire fucking building. Why is Kaiji such a crazy bastard? Plus his method of tilting the building was also cool. Instead of relying on construction workers or tilting the building by breaking stuff, he just used good old water to do it. I'm still unsure if it's feasible in real life but it made sense in the manga.

I can't believe how much hype it was when the first two balls hit the third plate, Fukumoto at his best. My other favourite from the entire Bog arc has to be when the pipes got filled with balls making it impossible for the other balls to fall in the pipes in the first and and second plate. Kaiji's reveal of that part was so cocky and amazing even though he never anticipated it or had it as part of his original plan. Also I feel sorry for Ichijou's heart. I just can't imagine how he is handling this tense situation where any ball can end his life.

Ichijou really defended the Bog very well. There is the forest of death that only allows very few balls to navigate through it successfully, then you got the gates that he can easily manipulate via sensors to block all the balls trying to enter, and then you got the 3 plates that can be tilted at will. And if that wasn't enough he got his last trump card which is the wind around the winning hole that will prevent any ball from entering it.

Speaking of Fukumoto being at his best, I really loved some of the imagery he used like when the two balls were hitting the target. There is also the demonic Bog that wants to eat Kaiji alive. My favourite has to be the way he depicted the balls in the last plate as dancing ghosts, pretty cool.

Just when Kaiji was at his lowest point making him resort to begging Ichijou to forgive him and let the match end in a tie, a true hero arrives and his name is Jesus Sakazaki. This gave Kaiji a good fighting chance which led to this awesome scene. I honestly thought they were going for the whole "let the ball jump over the wind barrier" thing they hinted at from 12th volume but instead Kaiji just brute forced his way to the winning hole. And finally, after 7 long volumes, Kaiji finally won. Too bad he got tricked again and lost almost all of his money. The ending is pretty much the same thing as the anime. I suspected they would have 1 or 2 chapters setting up the next part of the manga.

This was a pretty awesome read. I was afraid that knowing the outcome will make reading through the long Bog arc a chore, but it was awesome. I might even say I enjoyed this more than the anime. Probably cause I didn't have wait to a week for each episode just to see Kaiji crying and balls dancing. Part 3 is the mahjong arc which I'm having my doubts I will enjoy. I guess depending on how much explaining Fukumoto does for the games and tactics, I might end up liking it.

I need to finish this series. I started watching the anime and it was perfectly paced for me.

Fairy Tail

Fairy Tail 292 and 293:

Maybe you need to review the last two chapters again:

1) At the end of the 292, we got a painting/carving of a human fighting a Dragon and we're told about "The Dragon King Festival, the Banquet of Dragons, Humans, and Demons", which was the previous name of the games going on right now.
A human fighting a dragon just means that Dragons and humans fought at some point before the disappearance of the dragons.
2) At the end of chapter 293, Igneel discusses the potential of the Dragon Slayers and wonders if a Dragon Slayer/Humans can exceed Dragons or if it is a dream and then says the Dragon King Festival is upon us. Now, I'm just making an assumption here, but I'm going to take a guess that this is the same Dragon King Festival that was mentioned in chapter 292.
They are called Dragon Slayers for a reason. They are taught the magic of dragons, so they can beat dragons. Why do you think they are called dragon slayers to begin with?
Now, knowing these two things, would you like to further explain your "That's not the meaning at all" comment and the rational behind it or why knowing the two facts above have lead you to believe that we WON'T be seeing the Dragon Slayers fighting the Dragons at some point?
Knowing those 2 things does not indicate that a human has ever been king of dragons.

We already have seen dragon slayers fighting dragons. They were defeated by Acnologia. Gildartz was also defeated by a dragon. Do you really think that a human will ever rule over dragons? I mean just look how different the sky dragon´s personality is from Igneel, and Acnologia.

There will be a huge battle between dragons and humans, and i will go out of the limb and say that some dragons will help humans. But dragons will not be lead by humans. I do believe that by the end of the manga that dragons and humans, a dragon slayer, will live in harmony together, but there´s no way that a dragon king can be a human and force them to do his bidding.

gunbo13

History's Greatest Fanservice Miu 483, 484
Pom pom pom. Uneventful chapters overall.
This shit is still going on? HSDK totally turned to shit after the Apachi arc, which was great shounen battle. Have they even gotten back to Miu's
family search
stuff? That was the main focus and then all of a sudden we went into multiple arcs that seemed totally random.

Her father popped up in the last arc. She was unconscious during his time there though, and her grandfather pleaded with Kenichi not to tell her about it.

plus the guy was way different than i was expecting (due to the stories of him supposedly being the leader of the entire group plus Miu's past) and kinda looks like Kenichi due to his hairstyle and Gauntlets (though to be fair Kenichi's gauntlets were originally his) LOL

gunbo13

I have serious doubts that those chapters are worth reading. I'm going to wait until the manga is done or something. Unless somebody can say that it is back to Apachi arc quality cause Miu ass shots for 50 chapters was just awful.

Also:
Godlike said:

Huge image I procured but just had to post this art. Can you believe this is a shoujo manga? I wish they had an English translation...

upandaway

Arachnid

Oxygen.. thread? Thread.... oxygen?!

Oooh... ooohhhh....!!!!

(translation: i don't get it)

Yotsuba

Couldn't last the first panel. My cheeks hurt.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I have serious doubts that those chapters are worth reading. I'm going to wait until the manga is done or something. Unless somebody can say that it is back to Apachi arc quality cause Miu ass shots for 50 chapters was just awful.

Also:

Huge image I procured but just had to post this art. Can you believe this is a shoujo manga? I wish they had an English translation...

..And why wouldn't it be? Shoujo can have good art too, you know. :(

survivor

Banned
More one shots

Fat

Very disturbing horror manga with nice amount of plot twists. Good read

The Female Fridge No. 1

This woman wakes up one day as a fridge at her boyfriend's apartment. Pretty funny.

Flowers

So this is about a high school student with a disease that makes his body rot and makes it more like dirt. Then he does it with the school doctor and she ends up pregnant. I don't know, it was filled with angst and was weird, should have been longer to show more of the motivations of the doctor.

Forget

This was pretty damn good. It's about a kid that keeps forgetting everything. His tests, his club activities, his homework and so on. Then we find out his homeroom teacher is trying to have sex with him knowing that he will forget what happened. He freaks out and snaps. After that he stops forgetting and starts having a normal life. The art was also good and it's a shame the author never did anything else outside of that one shot. The teacher was also hot, too bad she was a pedo

Is that from the Ludwig manga you keep bringing up?

gunbo13

..And why wouldn't it be? Shoujo can have good art too, you know. :(
Shoujo typically has bad art and I read a lot of it. However, that shot and a few others I got are amazing. I've seen them before but this is the first time in such great quality. I'm hyping myself up for some reason.

Famous Shoujo said:

YUCK
http://asset3.neogaf.com/forum/image.php?u=75441&dateline=1343494287[/QUOTE]
Don't touch.
[quote="survivor, post: 40374903"]Is that from the Ludwig manga you keep bringing up?[/QUOTE]
Yes, I'm going to re-read it soon. I only brought it up cause I grabbed that HQ stuff. But damn if the manga isn't fantastic. I now think I actually like it better then Lovely Complex. It has such great atmosphere, darkness, twisting previous works, etc...

Kreed

Fairy Tail 292 and 293:

A human fighting a dragon just means that Dragons and humans fought at some point before the disappearance of the dragons.

They are called Dragon Slayers for a reason. They are taught the magic of dragons, so they can beat dragons. Why do you think they are called dragon slayers to begin with?

Knowing those 2 things does not indicate that a human has ever been king of dragons.

With Igneel asking if "Humans can exceed Dragons?" I think we can safely remove the possibility of a past human king of the Dragons.

We already have seen dragon slayers fighting dragons. They were defeated by Acnologia. Gildartz was also defeated by a dragon. Do you really think that a human will ever rule over dragons? I mean just look how different the sky dragon´s personality is from Igneel, and Acnologia.

There will be a huge battle between dragons and humans, and i will go out of the limb and say that some dragons will help humans. But dragons will not be lead by humans. I do believe that by the end of the manga that dragons and humans, a dragon slayer, will live in harmony together, but there´s no way that a dragon king can be a human and force them to do his bidding.

You're implying too much from my comment and from the title "King". When I made the comment of Natsu becoming the "King of the Dragons" I wasn't necessarily saying Natsu was going to "rule" over Dragons . I was only referring to the title of the Dragon King Festival and my assumption that the winner of this festival will be given the title of "King of the Dragons". Whether or not Natsu/the winner of the festival will "rule" over Dragons once they get the title of King is something we don't know yet (King of the Dragons could easily be like the title King of the Pirates in One Piece). So if that was the only thing you had a problem with, we can end the argument here.

However I will say that you seem to be way less skeptical of the author of Fairy Tail's story telling capabilities than I am, as I am more willing to believe that the author of Fairy Tail will have no problem following a shounen trope like making Natsu the "destined ruler" of Dragons by the end of the series, regardless of the hurdles you mentioned in your last post. But since there is no actual manga evidence of this there's no reason for us to discuss whether this will happen in the story or not until then.

TWGOK

My prediction: Unless Wakaki is throwing a curveball I think it's fairly obvious that Past Keima and Future Keima have switched bodies, possibly opening the way for some interesting teamwork. That scene from the intro to the arc probably depicts Past Keima (in the older body) finding Future Keima. The girl is probably some incarnation of Jupiter and this whole affair is probably related to the incident that unleashed the Weiss ten years ago; it looks like Keima was sent back not long before the quake. I'm guessing that we might see what caused that earthquake in the first place. Someone had to be responsible for releasing the Weiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom