• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleach

Don't buy that he's dead yet. The only reason it's even a possibility is that it's the final arc but still, not buying it until further evidence is presented. Would be a meh chapter if not for the way Kenpachi showed up looking like a BOSS. That for sure is a bad ass panel that's a great way to end the chapter. Too bad it's worthless going forward because Kenpachi is going to get destroyed against Buckbeard. Should have had him fight some more underlings, especially since we didn't even get to witness him take out the three on his shoulders. Oh well, maybe he'll fight that assistant guy first and showcase his skills. Would be cool if Kenpachi one that fight and then Buckbeard takes him out afterwards. At least Kenpachi would get to look awesome for a bit before getting shut down. Or maybe Ichigo would even save him from Buckbeard with his plot armor.

Looks like Fairy Tail didn't come out yet either. Now I just need to marathon Soul Eater sometime soon and catch up. I think I figured out that I'm on chapter 91 so that shouldn't take long.

Wow you were even more chapters behind in Soul Eater than I was, thats essentially the whole arc, which is way more enjoyable reading it all in one go than just monthly.

I dont see why Byakuya isnt dead, like someone said, he was already fully developed, we know everything about him, he clearly has no abilities above Bankai and clearly forgot to train since his events with Tsukishima, and lastly, there is no "PAIN" in Bleach, so he is definitely dead.

Prunus Girl 34

Thank god, the withdrawal symptoms were getting unbearable.

Maki x Aikawa is like my OTP, but for once I actually felt bad for the other guys. And for the girls for not even getting a look in.

Anyway, about Nisekoi, do all the people saying "Mari is a guy!" have a single reason for it? I mean, she does have breasts, you know. And there's not a shred of evidence to suggest she's a guy. I don't get it.
MC's line at the end of that last chapter was a typo. The name he yelled out was supposed to be 'Mario'.

Mahou Shoujo of the End 1

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h475/Jshogouki/nimg041.jpg

Creepy, bloody, and mysterious. This is my kind of manga.
This caught my eye as well. I'll pick it up once there're more chapters out.

Bonnouji

1341427525152.gif

Wow you were even more chapters behind in Soul Eater than I was, thats essentially the whole arc, which is way more enjoyable reading it all in one go than just monthly.

I dont see why Byakuya isnt dead, like someone said, he was already fully developed, we know everything about him, he clearly has no abilities above Bankai and clearly forgot to train since his events with Tsukishima, and lastly, there is no "PAIN" in Bleach, so he is definitely dead.

The arc on the Moon ended already? I thought it was still going? Figured it was the final arc in the series. Marathoning is nice for battle shounen if you have the patience to wait.

It's a valid point that we've already had a good amount of back story on B and as I said before, it is the final arc so it's definitely possible that he's dead. If there's some kind of emotional flashback within the next few chapters than that will seal it. Rukia and Renji are out cold so either one of them would have to recover soon or Ichigo will have to get out of the cage and re-establish contact to learn what happened. I expect at least a good chunk if not all of next week to be focused on Kenpachi's fight so might not see anything for a bit.

I'm just not ready to believe because Shounen always pull bull crap and make characters that should be dead somehow magically survive so I'm jaded on that subject. I'm watching the One Piece anime for the first time and the stupid shit that Oda pulls at the end of the Allibasta and Skypeia arcs are so bad that I clearly blocked some of it out and I'm going to go ahead and pretend some of those characters actually died again because it completely shits all over what he accomplished with the arcs. Allibasta was so well done with Croc's plan, he was so in control and on top of everything that I almost wanted to root for the guy, the arc's plot was just brilliant with emotional notes and overtones that are completely spit on at the end when a few characters miraculously survive for no reason. The worst being a character that was sacrificing himself which stirred a lot of emotion in Vivi and then it's like nope, nothing can kill these unimportant scrubs that shouldn't have any plot armor. Sorry for digressing with another series but yeah, so many shounen refuse to kill characters off with very few exceptions.

Takuan

Naruto
Also couldn't follow the action. Tobi is such BS.

Bleach
Good riddance. Kenpachi re-affirms that he is the best character in this series.

Waiting for Gin, Aizen, Ulquiorra, and Grimmjow to make a return.

Maybe i am different from other people but i don't care if a character lives after he does a sacrificing act .
It does not make his actions any less meaningful in my book , what i do hate is killing off characters for stupid reasons .

EDIT think i going to catch up on claymore if they going back to Clare soon like someone in this thread said.

Sweet Chapel (one shot)

Really simple school story that had nice character art and moments of friends supporting each other through just attempting to get set on a path for his dream. Silliest part was when he said he wanted to be a wedding planner on the career form and the teacher was like you have clearly gave no serious consideration to your future, which was rude of the teacher to do.

Maybe i am different from other people but i don't care if a character lives after he does a sacrificing act .
It does not make his actions any less meaningful in my book , what i do hate is killing off characters for stupid reasons .

EDIT think i going to catch up on claymore if they going back to Clare soon like someone in this thread said.

It's makes it not even remotely meaningful to me because when you see this happen multiple times in a series, you will never take such an action serious again. Now when I watch any other arcs, if something along those lines happens or a character looks to be in peril, there's absolutely no tension whatsoever because I know they'll endure anything no matter how stupid it is. SH's are an exception because you know they have plot armor but these little characters that are confined to a specific arc shouldn't be able to survive where it doesn't make sense. If they are Vivi level and might have importance later that's one thing, but there were too many small characters that survived ridiculous situations. It bothers me for the reason I just stated, kills all tension and emotional connection. I've already read everything but I don't necessarily remember what happened to all the small characters, it was extremely disappointing to see how those two arcs ended, especially Allibasta when it otherwise was such a fantastic arc.

I do agree with you that it is stupid when a series kills off a character for no reason or tries to make it emotional when the author didn't invest the proper amount of page time to make the reader care. It has to be done correctly and fit fluidly with the plot.

That was me that made the Claymore comment. All the characters decided to head over to her and try to save her in the latest chapter.

Soul Cartel 12-13

The next chapter has got to be the underworld, theyve been pushing it off for so long. I totally forgot the sister was mentioned in the synopsis as an actually strong protagonist, so her involvement ought not to have surprised me here. Si hun needs skills.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Another one to the fold. Excellent.

Anyway, about Nisekoi, do all the people saying "Mari is a guy!" have a single reason for it? I mean, she does have breasts, you know. And there's not a shred of evidence to suggest she's a guy. I don't get it.

I think people are giving the main character too much credit and assuming that he doesn't recognize her because she use to be (or dressed as) a male in the past. When in reality the main character was just a forgetful pimp kid.

Akito

That was deep.
c5uojm78a2knbnje2.jpg

Mahou Shoujo of the End
I'm interested in seeing where this series is going, the premise is somewhat similar to Deadman Wonderland but that quickly became your average shounen manga albeit with "a little" more gore. At least that's my impression after watching the anime.

Everyday Monster Girls
Eh, team Lamia I guess.

It's makes it not even remotely meaningful to me because when you see this happen multiple times in a series, you will never take such an action serious again. Now when I watch any other arcs, if something along those lines happens or a character looks to be in peril, there's absolutely no tension whatsoever because I know they'll endure anything no matter how stupid it is. SH's are an exception because you know they have plot armor but these little characters that are confined to a specific arc shouldn't be able to survive where it doesn't make sense. If they are Vivi level and might have importance later that's one thing, but there were too many small characters that survived ridiculous situations. It bothers me for the reason I just stated, kills all tension and emotional connection. I've already read everything but I don't necessarily remember what happened to all the small characters, it was extremely disappointing to see how those two arcs ended, especially Allibasta when it otherwise was such a fantastic arc.

That was me that made the Claymore comment. All the characters decided to head over to her and try to save her in the latest chapter.
After Alabasta i put it into my head that everyone had plot armor expect a few fodder , guess that is why i did not care about what happen in Skypeia or the arcs afterwards .

Claymore
Caught up to claymore i have to say i am really excited for the next chapter and it has been years since that happen .
We have some old cast members along with Miria group and Raki , a whole bunch of awakened beings , a abyssal one on the way and Clare and Priscilla going to be in the story again soon .

After Alabasta i put it into my head that everyone had plot armor expect a few fodder , guess that is why i did not care about what happen in Skypeia or the arcs afterwards .

Claymore
Caught up to claymore i have to say i am really excited for the next chapter and it has been years since that happen .
We have some old cast members along with Miria group and Raki , a whole bunch of awakened beings , a abyssal one on the way and Clare and Priscilla going to be in the story again soon .

Did you stop reading before Raki returned? That was a big surprise when he first showed up. I'm just happy it's going back to Clare, can't believe how long it's been. Wonder how long it will take before we see her but they are traveling by boat so shouldn't take many chapters. After they get her back, this series could only be half way over... They will venture to the main continent I imagine and if they get really involved in the war, just imagine how many more chapters this series could be. I think things will be a lot more interesting over there, getting a little tired of just seeing Claymore #898983 killing awakened being #9840 The sneak peek we saw of the opposing species looks interesting (their natural form before transformation).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Did you stop reading before Raki returned? That was a big surprise when he first showed up. I'm just happy it's going back to Clare, can't believe how long it's been. Wonder how long it will take before we see her but they are traveling by boat so shouldn't take many chapters. After they get her back, this series could only be half way over... They will venture to the main continent I imagine and if they get really involved in the war, just imagine how many more chapters this series could be. I think things will be a lot more interesting over there, getting a little tired of just seeing Claymore #898983 killing awakened being #9840 The sneak peek we saw of the opposing species looks interesting (their natural form before transformation).
Claymore was the first series I remember dropping.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do you remember where in the plot you dropped it? When it was still focused on Clare? I've never dropped anything yet but in some cases it's because I've read too many chapters to stop now and not see how it ends.

I dropped it around when she "died" or whatever caused her to disappear from the plot. It's one of those series that's almost impossible to follow unless you do so in a big lump.

I start back reading after he return and after a while stop again when Clare disappear from the story .
Yeah the opposing species do look interesting and the war on main continent so be fun to see.
The question is how is he going to wrap up the Clare and Priscilla storyline , she just so much stronger than anything else right now .

Did Raki ever bang Claire?
Claire has been out of the story forever, the current characters JUST decided to go try and save her in the latest chapter. Raki is now a strong strapping you man, however ;) Actually, one of the other claymores just showed him her tits because Claire will likely be naked when they get her out of her predicament and they didn't want him to freak out... :|
I dropped it around when she "died" or whatever caused her to disappear from the plot. It's one of those series that's almost impossible to follow unless you do so in a big lump.

Yeah, it became largely generic and boring with her out for me but then we finally started getting larger plot development which was interesting. This was only recently, however (well, recently chapter-wise considering it's only monthly we found out a while ago).

I start back reading after he return and after a while stop again .
Yeah the opposing species do look interesting and the war on main continent so be fun to see.
The question is how is he going to wrap up the Clare and Priscilla storyline .
She just so much stronger than anything else right now .

I think they'll pull some bs where they all team up and exploit the awakened one into fighting her all at once or something like that. I don't expect the defeat to be realistic but whatever, I'll just be happy to have the main character back and the other continent will take the story into a far more interesting place.

Actually, one of the other claymores just showed him her tits because Claire will likely be naked when they get her out of her predicament and they didn't want him to freak out... :|

They did not show him tits for that :) don't forget the a claymore skin suppose to be different or have scars some thing like that .
If i remember right when Teresa showed some bandits her chest they wanted to puke at the site of it .

I think they'll pull some bs where they all team up and exploit the awakened one into fighting her all at once or something like that. I don't expect the defeat to be realistic but whatever, I'll just be happy to have the main character back and the other continent will take the story into a far more interesting place.

You mean the abyssal one cause the awakened guys are no match for Priscilla , i guess he could let Priscilla go to the main continent.
Then have Clare and everyone go there after her .
After Clare gets back Raki and kills Priscilla she really has no need to go to the main continent unless the change main character or come up with a reason why .

dramatis

Gintama 409

A surprisingly great ending to a somewhat mediocre arc. Hopefully this experience will tie into future developments.

Waiting for the plot to move in Gintama is like waiting for Versus 13, but I guess it's a special case.

flawfuls

Chimoguri Ringo 1-3

This is pretty cool. It's a weird manga about an evil guy with a fishbowl for a head who is turning people into fish and the swimsuit wearing people who try to stop him. It's very crazy and imaginative and the art is great.

I think it's that crazy special edition mag (of Young Animal I guess) which is only once per year?

Only going off memory though, can't find anything either.

That's what I found too, but Nagihara Sora is serialized in it and started in 2008, yet has 11 chapters translated. So that can't be right.

Kurita

Magi volume 1
Couldn't put this down, it's really good.
Aladin is a mix of Shin Chan, Goku and Luffy, I like him.
Off to read volume 2.

dramatis

Nisekoi 36

The bad news is Marika is
not a guy. Would have been more interesting if she were, her backstory couldn't be more generic.
Chapter pretty much spells possible new additions (like this is a surprise!) with keys since apparently they were all playmates when they were kids. Girls have verbal catfight (minus Onodera). Same old, same old.

I can't help but feel the promise Raku made with his 'promised girl' was pretty damn cheap if he can't even remember her.

survivor

Banned
Nisekoi 36

The bad news is Marika is
not a guy. Would have been more interesting if she were, her backstory couldn't be more generic.
Chapter pretty much spells possible new additions (like this is a surprise!) with keys since apparently they were all playmates when they were kids. Girls have verbal catfight (minus Onodera). Same old, same old.

I can't help but feel the promise Raku made with his 'promised girl' was pretty damn cheap if he can't even remember her.
That's not bad news at all. Marika for life

I tried clicking on the link but it's this weird broken page full of nonsense. Like, look:

http://i.imgur.com/5Kwz1.png[IMG]

What's even going on in there. Look at those crazy symbols. Was I hacked?[/QUOTE]
Sorry man, I already got access to your bank account.

dramatis

PSI Kusuo Saiki 12

You don't get more swag than this: goggles, glasses, AND sunglasses.

iFfGexCTxsPxN.jpg

I really liked how a seemingly throwaway joke in the beginning of the chapter tied into the craziness at the end of the chapter. Hope some group picks this up for scanlation soon.

------

Aren't they always like this?
Well, it's compounded by the fact that the promise is so shallow. "Let's meet again and open the locket, and we'll get married!"

In Love Hina, the promise to enter Tokyo U had the added implication that they would become good individuals that worked hard, and be worthy of each other. This promise doesn't have the same weight.

gunbo13

Aren't they always like this?
Hazy memory is the main plot device of most romcoms. It's much easier then writing a plausible story.
In Love Hina, the promise to enter Tokyo U had the added implication that they would become good individuals that worked hard, and be worthy of each other. This promise doesn't have the same weight.
The promise in Love Hina was fucking stupid. This one is better just for having a ridiculous lock and key. Normally you'd play with toys and visit playgrounds. These kids played with symbolism through complicated devices. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom