• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magi 115
Welp, two-three informations worth considering, some action. Good chapters overall.

Is it me or the quality of the drawing has decreased a little ?

Genshiken 50 - 78
This manga is about crossdressing now.

Magi is really my favorite shonen series out right now. Remind me of when I really love reading naruto, one piece and hunterxhunter, I hope it become as big as the big three aometime in the future, its just a joy to read, fun character, interesting lore, and intriquing backstory.

survivor

Banned
Yandere Kanjo vol 1

Pretty cute 4 koma. Reina is awesome, crazy, and adorable at the same time.

Barrage gets low ratings, I don't think it'll last more than a year.
And to be honest, even though I read it, I don't find it really exciting.

Barrage is pretty generic and average, I will be surprised to see it last long

-_-

Banned
Magi 115
Welp, two-three informations worth considering, some action. Good chapters overall.

Is it me or the quality of the drawing has decreased a little ?

Genshiken 50 - 78
This manga is about crossdressing now.

Magi
The only manga I consider better than One Piece when it comes to cramming necessary plot points and action in a single chapter.

I don't think the art decreased per se but several consecutive panels of white space does make it look "unfinished". Magi has always had a loose style and very soft character designs (very few characters have straight lines, there isn't line width variation, and most characters have large circular eyes)

Genshiken
I'm gonna give props to Kio-sensei because he's (probably) a straight guy writing about now fetishes (being yaoi fangirl), sexuality, and cross-dressing which seem like taboo topics. What's more impressive is that all the characters act like how real people do and have more complex development than any manga I've seen (on par with Evangelion). Even before that, Genshiken always combined the aspects of otaku culture to convey raw human instincts and emotions.

But I do get why people might shy away from Genshiken Season 2 since it is a predominantly female cast and the subject matter is a little awkward. I have a trans crossdressing friend (I know...) who honestly loves that a manga is exploring the differences between sex and gender.

Madarame for the win. I feel like in the end, he'll politely decline Sue (one-sided teasing), Angela (a bit too wild card), and Hato (best choice but too obvious) and move on with his feelings for Saki. He'll probably just settle down with a normal girl.

Another manga that explores raw human emotion and instincts is Nana to Kaoru It uses bondage and S&M (more subtle though) to delve into the minds of an attractive overachieving honor student Nana and her disheveled unrequited love childhood Kaoru. Fantastic art especially with the breather scenes (the bondage/S&M) and character designs, not all characters are beautiful and all have unique body types (Nana actually has weight on her), accurate characterization, no filler chapters (so far), and helpful insights to the world of BDSM

Genshiken[/B] I'm gonna give props to Kio-sensei because he's (probably) a straight guy writing about now fetishes (being yaoi fangirl), sexuality, and cross-dressing which seem like taboo topics. What's more impressive is that all the characters act like how real people do and have more complex development than any manga I've seem (that includes Evangelion). Even before that, Genshiken always combined the aspects of otaku culture to convey raw human instincts and emotions. .

What lol no.

Kreed

Magi 115:

The story has definitely been ramping up with the last few chapters, this chapter being the best so far with more information from the enemy camp and King Solomon in general. The Alibaba "history touches" were nice too.

The movie design for the antagonist, I think, in the Naruto Road to Ninja movie is actually interesting the more I look at it, if sketches and fan art and comments are to go by.
Looks like some possibly mix of an offspring of a Sasuke x Naruto, seriously

Soul Cartel 16

This training has been interesting, even if Si huh cant compare to Mephisto yet, but they are still delaying the underworld. I like this one.

Genshiken

Caught up and this party is going real hard.

At first it was weird with the amount fujoshi stuff but i realize it is part of the whole point of Genshiken and with the focus on a mostly female version of the club it will pop up a lot.

Madarame as always been the butt monkey of this series and kinda still is but its funny how he's basically in the spotlight and totally clueless about it LOL. Saki realizing and trolling the fuck out of him is just icing on the cake.

The movie design for the antagonist, I think, in the Naruto Road to Ninja movie is actually interesting the more I look at it, if sketches and fan art and comments are to go by.

Alright this shit is going too far now.

survivor

Banned

Genshiken
I'm gonna give props to Kio-sensei because he's (probably) a straight guy writing about now fetishes (being yaoi fangirl), sexuality, and cross-dressing which seem like taboo topics. What's more impressive is that all the characters act like how real people do and have more complex development than any manga I've seen (on par with Evangelion). Even before that, Genshiken always combined the aspects of otaku culture to convey raw human instincts and emotions.

But I do get why people might shy away from Genshiken Season 2 since it is a predominantly female cast and the subject matter is a little awkward. I have a trans crossdressing friend (I know...) who honestly loves that a manga is exploring the differences between sex and gender.

Madarame for the win. I feel like in the end, he'll politely decline Sue (one-sided teasing), Angela (a bit too wild card), and Hato (best choice but too obvious) and move on with his feelings for Saki. He'll probably just settle down with a normal girl.
Interesting, I should start reading Season 2 soon then. I will probably reread the first part as well since I don't remember any of the characters outside of Madarame

That's the antagonist of the movie? Doesn't look too menacing.

Sorry I almost never proofread--I meant it's on par but to each own if you still think otherwise. (Corrected for future readers)

Well I was abrupt, I shouldn't have bolded the Evangelion part. What I meant is that while it can be interesting, the situation and character interactions in Genshiken 2 are imho far from being realistic.

duckroll

Magi - Chapter 115

So kickass. Good foreshadowing, interesting developments. There is probably a lot more to the Solomon history than meets the eye. I suspect that
the dead cities inside the dungeons we see are parts of Utopia which were destroyed.
Can't wait to see where the arc goes next.

How is that new Sailor Moon manga that they started last year?

I used to love watching the Sailor Moon anime/cartoon many, many years ago when it was still being shown, and I saw on Amazon that they had started a new one and are still in the process of releasing new books.

Thinking about giving it a go.

Ai Kora 92
After a break of 4 years, I decided to read it again. I read 1 chapter, felt bored, dropped it, and I do not regret it.

Bartender 48
It's kind of going in circles buuut it still makes me thirsty :p

Kongou Banchou 89
The series is still running on pure awesome/crazy-ness.

Akito

How is that new Sailor Moon manga that they started last year?

I used to love watching the Sailor Moon anime/cartoon many, many years ago when it was still being shown, and I saw on Amazon that they had started a new one and are still in the process of releasing new books.

Thinking about giving it a go.
There's no new SM manga, that's the original one being re-released with a new translation and color pages.

gunbo13

Ludwig Fantasia (oneshot)

qHbKJ.png

Not enough Dorothea...but this shot = good stuff.

Yes, this is a oneshot happening after Ludwig Revolution. I took my time getting to read it but more Ludwig is always welcome. Unfortunately, it doesn't match Revolution arcs. It covers the tale of a mermaid which just doesn't add up to stuff like Snow White. Lots of nudity, though the normal cover-up censor, but no real bloodshed. It just didn't seem very deep and this was just a study arc for Ludwig. Though his breast jokes are always good.

I hope that Ludwig returns as a new serialization one day and this oneshot helps.

Dynedom

Girls of the Wild's

"Were you always this small?"

Call me a bitter, vengeful victim of bullying as a child but:

I hope the redhead's beatdown is protracted, vicious and completely unforgiving. Please make it happen.

Kurita

I recently read some oneshots by Murata : Blust, Madofuki Park and Minds. Give this guy an action series.
Seriously. (I know, Onepunchman... but nobody is translating it)

survivor

Banned
Some interesting info from Vertical Otakon panel

13:07:41 <bay|Ota|Vertical> Chi's literally what's keeping me and part-time staff employed
Really didn't expect Chi's Sweet Home to be the saviour of Vertical, I thought the Tezuka manga would be their best sellers.

They also picked up Gundam the Origin
13:22:50 <bay|Ota|Vertical> Gundam; The Origin
13:22:51 <bay|Ota|Vertical> so we're going to be releasing it
13:22:50 <bay|Ota|Vertical> what you will see from us is a special limtied edition
13:22:50 <bay|Ota|Vertical> we will do hardcover collectors edition starting next year
13:23:28 <bay|Ota|Vertical> 400-500 page hardcover, $29.95
13:22:51 <bay|Ota|Vertical> part 1 march 2013
13:22:52 <bay|Ota|Vertical> dozens and dozens of oclor pages
13:23:14 <bay|Ota|Vertical> trying to clear rights to the essays
13:23:54 <bay|Ota|Vertical> because this is an expensive edition for production, it's going to be substation, i don't think you are going to see a color version or partial version after first run,
13:24:02 <bay|Ota|Vertical> one volume every 3 months is the plane
13:24:19 <bay|Ota|Vertical> retelling of the story by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko

The other title they got is Wolfsmund
13:28:12 <bay|Ota|Vertical> Wolfmsundm part 1
13:28:08 <bay|Ota|Vertical> by Mitsuhisa Kuji
13:28:17 <bay|Ota|Vertical> july 2013
13:28:20 <bay|Ota|Vertical> 220 pgs
13:28:25 <bay|Ota|Vertical> this is the fantasy title
13:28:28 <bay|Ota|Vertical> it's the story of william tell

I'm excited to see what they will do with Gundam, but fuck Woldsmund, that shit was so sadistic, brutal and depressing.

The Gundam one sounds robust, I guess Ill get it, though only 29.99 seems a bit cheapish. More shocked that they got it considering thats 23 volumes and I didnt think companies wanted long series anymore.

At least its more than what Kodansha gave us this otakon.

survivor

Banned
The author was Miura's assistant.
That explains everything. I wish he inherited the art style of Miura only and not the other crap.

The Gundam one sounds robust, I guess Ill get it, though only 29.99 seems a bit cheapish. More shocked that they got it considering thats 23 volumes and I didnt think companies wanted long series anymore.
They are bringing the hardcover versions which were only 10 volumes. Wiki says these had 100 colour pages per volume so that should be cool

At least its more than what Kodansha gave us this otakon.
If they can only bring over Again then they will be cool by me, but instead they only give a shit about Sailor Moon. It wouldn't surprise me if they bail out of the US manga market after they can't milk more Sailor Moon volumes.

upandaway

Hayate

Hamster successfully sabotaged someone? She's been on fire ever since she started living there. Crazy.

Also, the best misunderstanding. But seriously, let Hinagiku join in on this already.

Magi

Woah there woah, that was pretty heavy towards the end. I'm gonna have to go over the war flashes again by next chapter. All those djinns, all that everything. And Aladdin wasn't surprised by any of it, what the hell? If you know what's up, tell us already!

(was really awesome)

Nisekoi being popular does hurt Koisome/Pajama. It's the same way a new action manga can't gain any traction, because all the votes are going towards OP/Naruto/Bleach/Toriko. A person who votes Nisekoi isn't going to vote Koisome/Pajama, he'll give his remaining votes to other things.

Unless he's a part of smutGAF.
A really popular series of one genre (especially under-represented one) will only increase the attention of other series of the same genre. I don't really wanna back off that logic. It doesn't really matter if votes are restricted, money is restricted too, and you don't see Mario hurting other platformers (gives them a dang boost!). What you're saying it true when half the mag is the same genre like it is with fighters.

Also, Jump really wants pairs when it comes to variety, since it's risky to stay at 1. It's true that Pajama is in deep cabbage, but Nisekoi is what's keeping it alive, not the other way around. I assume Koisome is what's doing it in.

I don't really want to go more into this anyway, since none of this will help predict anything. And I lose confidence the more I stay on one side.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hayate

Hamster successfully sabotaged someone? She's been on fire ever since she started living there. Crazy.

Also, the best misunderstanding. But seriously, let Hinagiku join in on this already.

Magi

Woah there woah, that was pretty heavy towards the end. I'm gonna have to go over the war flashes again by next chapter. All those djinns, all that everything. And Aladdin wasn't surprised by any of it, what the hell? If you know what's up, tell us already!

(was really awesome)

A really popular series of one genre (especially under-represented one) will only increase the attention of other series of the same genre. I don't really wanna back off that logic. It doesn't really matter if votes are restricted, money is restricted too, and you don't see Mario hurting other platformers (gives them a dang boost!).

Also, Jump really wants pairs when it comes to variety, since it's risky to stay at 1. It's true that Pajama is in deep cabbage, but Nisekoi is what's keeping it alive, not the other way around. I assume Koisome is what's doing it in.

I don't really want to go more into this anyway, since none of this will help predict anything. And I lose confidence the more I stay on one side.

If wednesday mangaf has taught us anything, it's that the more evidence against your position, the more strongly you must hold it.

Kurita

Currently reading this :
I-am-a-Hero-1--single.jpg

That's... weird. Their discussion about mangas reminded of Bakuman. All the characters are crazy in their own way.
The hero is... I don't know. The first few pages were creepy.

El Sloth

Banned
Alone for Christmas (With My Waifu)

Currently reading this :
http://a35.idata.over-blog.com/3/89/38/93/Graphique/I-am-a-Hero-1--single.jpg[/IMG

That's... weird. Their discussion about mangas reminded of Bakuman. All the characters are crazy in their own way.
The hero is... I don't know. The first few pages were creepy.[/QUOTE]
I've only read the 1st volume, but I think the protag just has an active imagination. Also, [SPOILER]that discussion wasn't actually happening. It was to show that the protag has a bit of a superiority complex and is weird in that he talks to himself. Again is overactive imaginaiton.[/SPOILER]

Although he might just be unhinged. That weird little kid he keeps talking to...

Lain

I'm excited to see what they will do with Gundam, but fuck Woldsmund, that shit was so sadistic, brutal and depressing.

I was going to buy the first volume next month (because shallowly, the cover compels me to). Could you give me some impression about it?

survivor

Banned
I was going to buy the first volume next month (because shallowly, the cover compels me to). Could you give me some impression about it?

I picked it up cause the cover of the first volume was great, too bad it doesn't accurately reflect what happens in the manga.

Basically, it's about group of rebels trying to get past this fortress gate separating them from the other side. So each chapter follows a new set of characters trying to get past it while they get interrogated by the general governing the fortress. Seeing how the entire manga is about people trying to get past it you can probably guess the outcome for the rebels each chapter. The manga, however, isn't afraid of showing the brutal and grim lifestyle during these times so expect gore, decapitations, executions, rotten corpses, rape and so on. I mean that's not really that bad, but it doesn't help when the antagonist is extremely sadistic and from the 5 chapters I read, it doesn't look like the structure of each chapter changes.

W&#257;q W&#257;q 01-34

Not that bad. Nice concept, the art started getting better and the battles started making more sense. The twist midway was pretty nice.

Too bad the whole thing was basically rushed. The fights started getting shorter, people started to get knocked out just to move the plot faster. The MC basically became a demigod near the end, which made the ending fights pretty boring.

Thud

Beelzebub is okayish. The quality differs every arc and the plot isn't interesting even for a shounen. Psyren deserved the ending, but I know which manga I would have cancelled instead...

World Embryo 73-74

Confessions! That's some treatment. Character growthish. Been a while since I read this.

Working!! 101

Poor Yamada. She tries just so hard!

Beelzebub is okayish. The quality differs every arc and the plot isn't interesting even for a shounen. Psyren deserved the ending, but I know which manga I would have cancelled instead...
The good thing with Beelzebub is that the fights tend to be really...quick and finished fast, which is kind of relief as most authors don't seem to know how to make good fights (in contrast with HxH for example in which the fights are awesome). It also doesn't take itself seriously, so that helps.

Kreed

I don't understand why people still do this. Psyren was an action shounen series, comparable to One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and HxH. Beelzebub is an action comedy shounen series, comparible to Gintama. And like Gintama, the plot isn't the focus of the series, vs the comedy and action. If you only focus on the action and plot of Beelzebub, then every action series in Jump past and present does it better, including Psyren. But it's the comedy that makes this series popular. Unfortunately with comedy it's either you like the jokes or you don't. Thankfully Jump readers think the comedy is better than "okayish".

El Sloth

Banned
TWGOK

My prediction: Unless Wakaki is throwing a curveball I think it's fairly obvious that Past Keima and Future Keima have switched bodies, possibly opening the way for some interesting teamwork. That scene from the intro to the arc probably depicts Past Keima (in the older body) finding Future Keima. The girl is probably some incarnation of Jupiter and this whole affair is probably related to the incident that unleashed the Weiss ten years ago; it looks like Keima was sent back not long before the quake. I'm guessing that we might see what caused that earthquake in the first place. Someone had to be responsible for releasing the Weiss.
Oh? So you think his body did travel back in time with him? I was thinking it was just his mind that was sent back, but your prediction makes more sense since Ellie went back just fine.

Thud

I don't understand why people still do this. Psyren was an action shounen series, comparable to One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and HxH. Beelzebub is an action comedy shounen series, comparible to Gintama. And like Gintama, the plot isn't the focus of the series, vs the comedy and action. If you only focus on the action and plot of Beelzebub, then every action series in Jump past and present does it better, including Psyren. But it's the comedy that makes this series popular. Unfortunately with comedy it's either you like the jokes or you don't. Thankfully Jump readers think the comedy is better than "okayish".

Oh, I do understand the difference. I've been reading jump titles for a while now. It's clearly not my cup of tea and reading Beel weekly is probably a big mistake on my part.

I'll just have to accept the fact people like current Jump manga.

Think of a bunch of sympathetic characters getting horribly murdered by a smug asshole with absolutely no repercussions. It's a brutal representation of that time period starring a villain protagonist that you absolutely want bad stuff to happen to, but know nothing will because that's just how the manga is.

It's a neat idea, but it was too much for me. I'm not against villain protagonists if they EVENTUALLY get what's coming to them or get super redeemed (though that's tough) or EVERYONE is evil, but Wolfsmund is none of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom