• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Nisekoi 36

Everyone involved must have some terrible memory or something but at least finally he confronts everyone about the whole thing.

Now I'm curious as to where this will head next.

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko

g6PKJ.jpg

Amazing.

Really enjoyed this. Reminds me of a weird variation of Liar Liar.

It's surprisingly refreshing in a sea of endless rom-coms. Looking forward to the anime adaption.

scy

KeysKeysKeys 36 - Seriously, did Japan have an amnesia epidemic? You'd think somebody involved would know.

Maybe whoever gave them the fucking pendants and keys before Raku started his keyblade harem.

Thud

KeysKeysKeys 36 - Seriously, did Japan have an amnesia epidemic? You'd think somebody involved would know.

Maybe whoever gave them the fucking pendants and keys before Raku started his keyblade harem.

Lawl.

Maybe all the keys are fakes.

Kusagari

The Holy Key Wars 36:

This is ridiculous that nobody knows what's up with the keys. We all know some other girl that Raku promised is going to show up too.

But this chapter confirms that Marika has the best facial expressions in a manga full of awesome facial expressions.

dramatis

Maybe the keys are really Card Captor-style staffs that allow the girls to become magical girls and wage magical gangster-police wars resulting in Nisekoi's transformation into West Side Story.

gunbo13

Change 123

Cool ending. I enjoyed reading it, a solid 8.
Ending was the worst part. Some stupid Evangelion shit there.

retcon:
The epilogue I mean.
Unfortunately with comedy it's either you like the jokes or you don't. Thankfully Jump readers think the comedy is better than "okayish".
Beelze is not a gag manga. It is comedy action. And Gintama does action really really well at times matching some of the best. Beelze is barely passable with its action and that is being generous. Not to mention some terrible training arcs. So I currently see Beelze as exactly "okayish." I read it cause some of the characters are fun and I get some chuckles. But it isn't standing above the rest by any means.
They locked away their memories
of killing the real Raku
Hey!

Nisekeys 29 - 36

Damn every joke about keys/kingdom hearts have been done. The more I read Nisekoi the more my head hurts. But you got to admit, the reaction faces in it are awesome.
Nisekoi 29
Zawsze in love ha ha ha what Awkwardness. JUST PUT IT IN FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.
Anyway this is how I'll remember that chapter.
Chapter 30 Lines, lines everywhere, like the author's crossing the drawings because they're no good. Use some halftones god damn it.
Chapter 31
Stop leering at a different girl each chapter Raku, you lewd pervert. And the stinger : "Who's she ?" bwahaha.
Chapter 35
"So you've forgotten about Sogen ?" What ? Who/what is Sogen ? What about Zawsze ?
Chapter 36 I GET IT they all have G-Forces that materializes as keys and locks, hence the bizarre exposition + unknown words + why the hell they all suffer from memory loss. [EDIT : Dammit the joke's been already done !]

Well the only way to save the manga is a harem ending with some smut added for good measure. Or a School Days ending. Either one are fine by me.
They locked away their memories
of killing the real Raku
That would be a pretty good twist, actually.

Dresden

R for Rocket -

Ray Bradbury's stories adapted by Moto Hagio. I'm always fond of these takes on western tales by Japanese manga-ka because something about the transition from prose to panels is a transliteration of one's thoughts into a more tangible form.

enjoyed it a lot, reminds me that I should get to work on Hagio's stuff soon.

LngL2.png

flawfuls

R for Rocket -

Ray Bradbury's stories adapted by Moto Hagio. I'm always fond of these takes on western tales by Japanese manga-ka because something about the transition from prose to panels is a transliteration of one's thoughts into a more tangible form.

enjoyed it a lot, reminds me that I should get to work on Hagio's stuff soon.

http://i.imgur.com/LngL2.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/r2rXV.png

Kreed

Beelze is not a gag manga. It is comedy action. And Gintama does action really really well at times matching some of the best. Beelze is barely passable with its action and that is being generous. Not to mention some terrible training arcs. So I currently see Beelze as exactly "okayish." I read it cause some of the characters are fun and I get some chuckles. But it isn't standing above the rest by any means.

1) Why are you telling me something I already said earlier in my post?

I don't understand why people still do this. Psyren was an action shounen series, comparable to One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and HxH. Beelzebub is an action comedy shounen series, comparible to Gintama. And like Gintama, the plot isn't the focus of the series, vs the comedy and action. If you only focus on the action and plot of Beelzebub, then every action series in Jump past and present does it better, including Psyren. But it's the comedy that makes this series popular. Unfortunately with comedy it's either you like the jokes or you don't. Thankfully Jump readers think the comedy is better than "okayish".

and 2) If you're trying to argue that Beelzebub should have "better" action since it's a action comedy series, then I won't disagree with you there. But that doesn't change the fact that I and I'm sure most readers prefer reading Beelzebub for it's comedy over it's action because the author is much better at delivering jokes and punch lines than he is at writing action sequences/plot delivery. That's all I was saying to Thud.

As for "standing above the rest", no one said this either. While I prefer Beelzebub right now to mangas like Toriko and Bleach (entertainment wise, in case anyone gets confused and thinks I'm saying it has better action than those two), I would never put Beelzebub above Gintama (or any manga in Jump other than maybe H x H when it isn't on Hiatus and One Piece before the Ace rescue story started). I just compare the two often because those are the main two Jump comedy and/or action mangas that I read currently.

But canceling Beelzebub over Psyren, St&rs, and Barrage just because you think the jokes are "okayish" (taking it back to the original quote from Thud to keep things in context)? If you agree with that then let's just agree to disagree.

Thud

But canceling Beelzebub over Psyren, St&rs, and Barrage just because you think the jokes are "okayish" (taking it back to the original quote from Thud to keep things in context)? If you agree with that then let's just agree to disagree.

Now you're not making sense. I said Beelzebub was okayish. The jokes, punchlines and direction don't really get to me. I can still see why people enjoy it though.

In the beginning I liked Beelzebub. I dropped it during the volleyball match. I picked it up after a while. Joking about training arcs and ruining a decent action arc I even overlooked. However the current Beelzebub is back to jokes, a few punches and I just don't the style. Gintama is in a different league. Some battle arcs are on par with the battle manga and I really like Sorachi's style.

So looking back on Beelzebub, I thought cancelling Psyren was a mistake at that time and I still do. Eventhough I understand why it got cancelled.

Anyway I just don't agree with saying Beelzebub is great, it's okayish. Sometimes a good punch and a good laugh, nothing more and nothing less. You can just drop the case though, I think you made your point clear.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Battle Angel Alita: Last Order

For all that tournament stuff, things are still going the way of the giant tree.

Karate something something Kohinata

Brad from Home Improvement move over. It is time for the king troll to take the stage.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Nisekoi

Raku was quite the three timer as a kid. Everything is a mystery until the pendent gets fixed. Also, Mari was pretty cute this chapter.

Antimagia 7

Cant believe this is just a ten chapter manga. The world and premise is interesting as well as the antimagia powers, that there is so much further it could all go in the end. Interesting chapter anyway with the discovery of the bones as well as the throwing a wrench into the actual belief in the consequence of the powers.

duckroll

Equestrian Cross Country Olympics Stuff

This doesn't look anywhere as interesting as it does in Silver Spoon. Needs more Hachiken and Mikage. Watching it in real life is kinda boring! Zzzzzzzz...

gunbo13

1) Why are you telling me something I already said earlier in my post?
Because I can also have my own thoughts.

What I meant though, is that the highlights should not be its jokes with such a drop-off into the action. Gag mangas stand on their comedy, action comedies should not. And Beelze stands way to heavy on its jokes.
Never said anything about cancellation nor do I think it should be canceled. I was responding that standing on the comedy is not a healthy prospect and I disagree with that possible jump reaction; it is just okayish from my standpoint.

dramatis

So looking back on Beelzebub, I thought cancelling Psyren was a mistake at that time and I still do. Eventhough I understand why it got cancelled.
If there's something you could blame for not taking the fall for Psyren instead, the choice is actually Medaka Box.

Psyren
I finished this series over the spring. It's awesome. Which reminds me..

Claymore
I'm on ch 102.. so close but I dont want it to end yet!

Deadman Wonderland
I needa get on this afterwards..

scy

If there's something you could blame for not taking the fall for Psyren instead, the choice is actually Medaka Box.

I'll take Medaka Box over Pysren any day honestly. Psyren should have been given a legitimate ending, though :(

That would be a pretty good twist, actually.

It's basically gunbo's idea. Seriously though, the pendant has to be some kind of artifact and we need something truly, truly deep to occur with it besides "I HAS THE BEST KEY, I'M REAL PROMISE GIRL." Unless that sentence is then followed by a tournament arc and they fight to the death.

upandaway

Nisekoi

Mari is calm so long as Chitoge keeps falling for her teases, haha.

I'm sort of surprised she still didn't figure out Raku and Chitoge are faking it. It's like they're not even trying to hide that. But whatever, I love this kind of Nisekoi too.

retcon
Hahaha.. oh man. From Jump's NEXT homepage:
e1jPA.png

How frightening. I can barely handle the Onodera color page! This will kill me.

Mari's hair color is pretty insane.

gunbo13

It's basically gunbo's idea.
Which I stole from Shingetsutan Tsukihime e.g. Lunar Legend Chronicles. But we can share the steal cause you added more to the memory twist. Pretty good manga but sad. Arcueid is cute.
Seriously though, the pendant has to be some kind of artifact and we need something truly, truly deep to occur with it besides "I HAS THE BEST KEY, I'M REAL PROMISE GIRL." Unless that sentence is then followed by a tournament arc and they fight to the death.
Inside the pendant is a locked goddess that all of the main characters worked together to seal? All the keys work, just like Voltron! The setup is that the goddess is supposed to be released when they all turn 16...or whatever. Except the catch is that they lost most of their memories locking her up so they have to find each other and figure it out.

Oh yea, and the real Raku is sealed with the goddess as the one in the story is an astral projection. Obviously Onodera killed Raku with that yandere jealousy trip and the goddess's deal will be to revive him. But what does the goddess want in return dot dot dot /suspense.

We're through the looking glass people.

And I'm bored/stupid.

scy

Hahaha.. oh man. From Jump's NEXT homepage:
e1jPA.png

How frightening. I can barely handle the Onodera color page! This will kill me.

Mari's hair color is pretty insane.

dat Chitoge. dat harem.

Which I stole from Shingetsutan Tsukihime e.g. Lunar Legend Chronicles. But we can share the steal cause you added more to the memory twist. Pretty good manga but sad. Arcueid is cute.

Y'know, I probably should have caught the reference.

Inside the pendant is a locked goddess that all of the main characters worked together to seal? All the keys work, just like Voltron! The setup is that the goddess is supposed to be released when they all turn 16...or whatever. Except the catch is that they lost most of their memories locking her up so they have to find each other and figure it out.

Oh yea, and the real Raku is sealed with the goddess as the one in the story is an astral projection. Obviously Onodera killed Raku with that yandere jealousy trip and the goddess's deal will be to revive him. But what does the goddess want in return dot dot dot /suspense.

We're through the looking glass people.

On a serious note, I really do hope there's SOMETHING to the pendant/key rather than just symbolism. Then again, can there be just the one key to open it? If so, child Raku was a dick by giving out fake keys to some girls. "Yeah yeah, I love you too here's a key to symbolize things blah blah opens this pendant etc. etc. ZAWSZE IN LOVE" What a dick.

harem master

gunbo13

On a serious note, I really do hope there's SOMETHING to the pendant/key rather than just symbolism. Then again, can there be just the one key to open it? If so, child Raku was a dick by giving out fake keys to some girls. "Yeah yeah, I love you too here's a key to symbolize things blah blah opens this pendant etc. etc. ZAWSZE IN LOVE" What a dick.
Who said I wasn't serious?

I agree though, the lock/key has to mean "something." If Raku found it in the shed and decided to mess with the girls who he flipped skirts on, that would be pretty awful. Well...actually, that sounds pretty funny. But still, I always found it weird that the kids were strutting around with locks and stuff.

I'm guessing a yakuza plot. The idea that we have two gangta families has to have more to it then the fake relationship. The lock is probably some family thing and some deal was put forth. Like, Raku gave the key to the girl he truly liked as a kid and the rest got bum keys. Or they did a random pick, IDK. I'm guessing some sort of yakuza setup though.

retcon:
Or Onodera is a vampire queen. So forth and so on.

scy

I agree though, the lock/key has to mean "something." If Raku found it in the shed and decided to mess with the girls who he flipped skirts on, that would be pretty awful. Well...actually, that sounds pretty funny. But still, I always found it weird that the kids were strutting around with locks and stuff.

I'm guessing a yakuza plot. The idea that we have two gangta families has to have more to it then the fake relationship. The lock is probably some family thing and some deal was put forth. Like, Raku gave the key to the girl he truly liked as a kid and the rest got bum keys. Or they did a random pick, IDK. I'm guessing some sort of yakuza setup though.

Would make the dad's "Oh, yeah, your daughter can marry my son it's cool police bro" deal kind of weird.

Need more keys. Tsugumi needs to magically become a key wielder somehow.

gunbo13

Would make the dad's "Oh, yeah, your daughter can marry my son it's cool police bro" deal kind of weird.
That's all part of the scheme! The future of who leads the company is on the line here!

Made that last part up. Sounded good.

Seriously though, the keys should be like Pokeballs. Once they turn the key, they become harem slaves. That makes Raku the harem and key master.

Gotta catch em all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom