• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

I've seen those Dragon Ball pictures posted in at least one of the incarnations of this thread, but there's nothing wrong with reposting the images in a thread that tends to repeat itself often anyway.

Plus (IMO) someone who picked up Naruto and Bleach for the first time less than a year ago has no right to criticize other manga fans in this thread or tell them they should be ashamed of themselves for not seeing a couple of professional fan art pictures.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am not really familiar about Togashi's hiatus habits. Typically how long he usually take his hiatuses?

Hopefully not too long since out of all the "battle" mangas I have read Hunter x Hunter is the one that excited me the most.

Big One

Banned
Plus (IMO) someone who picked up Naruto and Bleach for the first time less than a year ago has no right to criticize other manga fans in this thread or tell them they should be ashamed of themselves for not seeing a couple of professional fan art pictures.
I didn't realize both of those are required reads to be a true manga fan. I generally stayed away from battle shonen years ago. Then I converted with FMA, then One Piece, then HxH and for the longest time that was it.

Also isn't HxH supposed to have a new chapter this week? I thought the hiatus was said to be coming "next issue."

Tess3ract

Banned
IfH8L.jpg

Oh my god, HNNNNNNNG

ALL OF MY WANT

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^Costume only? Imagine how cool it would be if we can actually fight any of the giants in the Monster Hunter games.

Also, damn it now I am remembering a title for one of the songs by Joe Williams.

Seem so apt.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
http://i.imgur.com/W31zU.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's the frequency, yes? How long he usually takes each of his hiatuses?

But woah thankfully I got to the Hunter x Hunter train rather late. Can't imagine if I was following it from the very beginning. The annoyance must be rather unbearable.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So what game is Togashi obsessed with now? Dragon Quest X doesn't even have a release date so it can't be that. Did he pay a visit to Miura and fall in love with Idolmaster?

survivor

Banned

But woah thankfully I got to the Hunter x Hunter train rather late. Can't imagine if I was following it from the very beginning. The annoyance must be rather unbearable.

3 months: 270 - 271
5 months: 280 - 281
12 months: 290 - 291
2 months: 310 - 311

Verelios

I've been here since the debut of HxH. I've always liked Togashi because he'd proven he could be consistently good with YYH even if there were some slight delays between arcs. They were finished relatively fast.

This though? Dear god, this? Seems like once he hit about chapter 100, it was mini-Berserk level frequency. I even forgot the majority of the main/side characters besides Gon/Killua/Knuckles/Morau/Ging and the main crew like Kura/Leor/His. Other than that, nothing.

Greed Island? How long ago was that? I remember something something rock paper scissors, tree, vollyball, and honest to goodness that is about it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
3 months: 270 - 271
5 months: 280 - 281
12 months: 290 - 291
2 months: 310 - 311

One whole year??? Woah!

I've been here since the debut of HxH. I've always liked Togashi because he'd proven he could be consistently good with YYH even if there were some slight delays between arcs. They were finished relatively fast.

This though? Dear god, this? Seems like once he hit about chapter 100, it was mini-Berserk level frequency. I even forgot the majority of the main/side characters besides Gon/Killua/Knuckles/Morau/Ging and the main crew like Kura/Leor/His. Other than that, nothing.

Greed Island? How long ago was that? I remember something something rock paper scissors, tree, vollyball, and honest to goodness that is about it.

Honestly, if Hunter X Hunter is just "another Shounen manga" for me I'd drop it in an instant. Can't imagine having to wait a whole year just to read the next chapter in a story. Too bad it is such a damn good series though.

Word, I watched the Blue Exorcist anime, stopped because I felt that it probably deviated from the manga lol

I ended up picking up the manga once the anime diverged, but still kept with the anime to see how they would handle it. I think the manga was pretty good but if you are looking for something else to read, well as a monthly, it wont really feel ones current void anyway.

I think I prefer shipping that makes sense.

It does, Grimmjow seemed exuberant on all occasions to throw down with Ichigo for no reason than to have fun, and Ichigo was glad too at the last one.

Zekes!

I've been meaning to read Hunter x Hunter. I think I might go at it like a chapter every few days. I always hear about Togashi's hiatuses and I feel like this would prevent me from catching up and being subjected to wait like the rest of you :lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man DTL.... you really are something else.

KUROSAGI

From this...

2mm3c.jpg

to this....?

SLWlo.jpg

The main character from the manga version seem like the "normal guy" type, so the way it transforms into the "boy band" type in the live action series seems pretty jarring. Not sure if it's a good time investment trying to look for and watch the live action version.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
As pairings go, GrimmjowxIchigo is not all that implausible.

Especially when you consider the existence of YamamotoxKomamura.

Dresden

Well all I can say to that is that I legitimately feel grief over people who haven't seen these images. Makes me realize the downfall of the anime/manga fanbase that has happened over the years.

Like I said already, using the ignore system like that is essentially the lowest thing someone can do as a human being on a forum.

I could report you, and you would get warned, maybe even banned. You're straight up, legitimately trolling me on a consistent basis for no real reason other than I have an opinion. However I choose not to, because unless you're genuinely a blight on the discussion of this board, I have no right to report you. Secondly, I generally do not like seeing people banned, even Angry Grimace and mysticwhip, who I deeply wish the mods would reconsider their decisions so they can post on GAF.

On a forum, everyone matters, even if you consider their opinion or manner to be "trolling," every post in some form shares a meaning to the topic. In 100 years, all this topic will be is an archive of memories and experiences we shared together - that is, if it survives. By that point, we'll be dead. Without these forums, our thoughts, opinions, and experiences will just fade out of existence. Personally, I'm not too keen about that, and I hope no one else is either.

So no, I won't report you.
trololololol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Damn it Dresden, hahahaha.

Anyway, anybody reading this?

SQM7n.jpg

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō

It seems like a good relaxing manga. And the artwork looks lovely.

Goodnight Punpun

All caught up and I see Punpun has finally lost it. Surprised it took so long.

I honestly still have no idea if I like this or not. I'm leaning toward no, but I'm too far in to drop it. I think when it comes to series with such a cynical view on life, I tend to gravitate toward ones that are rather straightforward like Strongest Man Kurosawa or involve zombies like I Am a Hero. This is just so bizarre, but rather subtle and hipster about it instead of over the top like I like.

GE

I'm still rooting for Yuki, so I hope this development falls apart, I guess. It was impressive that he actually managed to resolve a problem, but the writing and everything in this chapter was so stupid... :lol

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko

Yeah, I've been following this one too. It's okay, generic but not great. The most recent chapter does tell me one thing, though -- this guy was probably better off without his ability to lie... he's already being kind of annoying again. Lying like that to her's not going to pay off in the long run, I think...

(Oh, and as for the use of the word "Hentai" in the title, I assume it's referring to his perversion, not to H content obviously.)

Fujimura-kun Mates (all so far, up to 44)

Oh Engrish... :lol

Beyond the title though, this is a harem comedy series. Yeah, another one. It's okay, but nothing amazing. There's a lead guy, a bunch of somewhat odd (in humorous ways) girls who like him, etc. There is some silly stuff in this, though -- the lead girl's pretty much obsessed with him and says that he's her boyfriend (even though naturally he's not interested), the school vice president girl's a sadist or something and likes to drop people through holes in the ground (this is actually played kind of straight -- they don't just fall in holes and disappear, they then have to get out of the tunnel network through places where it comes up to the surface, the MC has commented repeatedly on how impressive it is that she has this system of holes set up all over town, etc... it's pretty ridiculous. :lol)

Anyway, they're currently on a beach vacation. It's bedtime, but the main girl, Eriko, seems a bit distressed about that accidental kiss between the MC and the school president... (on that note, three of the girls clearly like him; there are two other girls and a guy in the main group, but only the three girls clearly like him. The others are there for comedy purposes. The guy always has a horned helmet on, one of the girls is the aforementioned vice president, the other can be amusing too...)

Saki Biyori 18

Another "adult's story" chapter. They go out to eat, and bump into several other of the adult characters there too. As always with Biyori, plenty of amusement is had. :) Good chapter as always.

Saki 94
The match has been alright so far and it's been pretty tense but I just want Saki to hurry up and bust out some beastly hands already. I wish the author would focus on this more then Achiga-hen but oh well.
I think we all agree on these points, yeah. All three people talking about these chapters here say the same thing about this one, and for good reason.

Saki: Achiga-hen: Episode of Side-A 8
Teru is as beastly as suspected and if I understand what it's hinting at then she's normally even more beastly then this. I don't really like how fast they go through the games but I imagine the anime will flesh them out a bit so that's alright.
Yeah, Teru's really good, and yes, there definitely was a strong hint that this wasn't Teru at her strongest, too. Who knows how amazing she is when at peak... she'll win this match for sure, but all Kuro has to do is finish second to move on to the final, and I think she can do it.

I also dislike how fast they go through the games, but at least this one's a little slower than the previous ones, leaving enough time for at least some of the stuff that makes the matches fun. I definitely hope that the anime expands on the material from the first 6 or so chapters, because there were some things skimmed over insanely fast that should have had far more time. The Saki anime did expand on things from the manga, so some expansion is to be expected, but part of it depends on how many episodes this anime is going to be, I'd think. Does anyone know?

Saki 86-94
53825f7e0b2bb06b0de87b564235159de0b440df.jpg

It's been a while since I read some chapter for Saki, and it's baffling how the author can get away with publishing so little for a monthly series. I mean, chapters of 7 and 8 pages?
I'm happy it's finally Saki's turn, but I'm not exactly liking that all the space seems reserved to the other girls instead of the main group. I wanted to see Nodoka own, and I want to see Saki own, but Nodoka's play was rather unimpressive and so far Saki didn't do all that much better, except for a couple wins.
Yeah, we've been waiting far too long for one of the main characters to actually do well... Nodoka did pretty much nothing, the captain lost, Saki's done not much of note so far... come on, she needs to win this! I assume the idea is to increase the tension for her success... but it's been too long, I want her to start doing well now. :)

As for the very slow pace, the reason is presumably because since last summer she's started up two spinoff series (which she is writing but not drawing), and one of the spinoffs, Achiga-hen, is getting an anime starting next month as well. The other spinoff, Biyori (a 4koma series), doesn't have an anime, and of course has short chapters like all 4komas do, but still it's more stuff to write. The main series has definitely suffered as a result. It is unfortunate, but at least we're getting something for it, in the form of the other serieses.

iavi

Man DTL.... you really are something else.

KUROSAGI

From this...

2mm3c.jpg

to this....?

SLWlo.jpg

The main character from the manga version seem like the "normal guy" type, so the way it transforms into the "boy band" type in the live action series seems pretty jarring. Not sure if it's a good time investment trying to look for and watch the live action version.

Eh, his character's relatively image-agnostic. IIRC, in the narrative, he bases nothing around looks, but has the stereotypical bravado to match if the mangaka wanted to/could. I'm not all that surprised to see that the drama capitalized on that.

Also, thanks for reminding me to get on that.

Big One

Banned
GODA Piece

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but basically there's an event called One Piece Ten coming up to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the series.

One thing that is confirmed is Ace's bounty, which is 550.000.000.

There's also a set of posters showing the bounties of several characters like Shanks, Blackbeard, etc. where they're ripped off to where you can't see the bounties. Buggy has his own bounty, but it says "CASE CLOSED" on it, which possibly implies Buggy is now a Shichibukai.

Oh yeah and Wano Country arc coming up:

iRchu.jpg

^ You can also notice a new character here if you look closely.

flawfuls

Harata Hiroshi Chronologies 1970 - 1971

Like all of Harata Hiroshi's manga reading this was like snorting testosterone. I didn't really like it as much as his other manga though. There was no real standout stories and some of the antiquated vales and poor depiction of female characters rubbed me the wrong way.

I have to wonder how this guy's manga was received back in the day. People must have been completely blown away by the visuals. The artwork is orders of magnitude more detailed than any similarly aged manga I've seen.

dumbyugi

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko

Yeah, I've been following this one too. It's okay, generic but not great. The most recent chapter does tell me one thing, though -- this guy was probably better off without his ability to lie... he's already being kind of annoying again. Lying like that to her's not going to pay off in the long run, I think...
It is pretty generic, but it's a fun little series. I like the MC even if he can be a bit annoying at times, though I prefered him when he couldn't lie.

Fujimura-kun Mates (all so far, up to 44)

Oh Engrish... :lol

Beyond the title though, this is a harem comedy series. Yeah, another one. It's okay, but nothing amazing. There's a lead guy, a bunch of somewhat odd (in humorous ways) girls who like him, etc. There is some silly stuff in this, though -- the lead girl's pretty much obsessed with him and says that he's her boyfriend (even though naturally he's not interested), the school vice president girl's a sadist or something and likes to drop people through holes in the ground (this is actually played kind of straight -- they don't just fall in holes and disappear, they then have to get out of the tunnel network through places where it comes up to the surface, the MC has commented repeatedly on how impressive it is that she has this system of holes set up all over town, etc... it's pretty ridiculous. :lol)

Anyway, they're currently on a beach vacation. It's bedtime, but the main girl, Eriko, seems a bit distressed about that accidental kiss between the MC and the school president... (on that note, three of the girls clearly like him; there are two other girls and a guy in the main group, but only the three girls clearly like him. The others are there for comedy purposes. The guy always has a horned helmet on, one of the girls is the aforementioned vice president, the other can be amusing too...)
It's a pretty damn ridiculous series, but I really enjoy it. I've laughed in pretty much every chapter. Do you read D-Frag? They're very similar in setup and style.

Yeah, Teru's really good, and yes, there definitely was a strong hint that this wasn't Teru at her strongest, too. Who knows how amazing she is when at peak... she'll win this match for sure, but all Kuro has to do is finish second to move on to the final, and I think she can do it.
I imagine Kuro will come second but I wouldn't put it past the series for them to get knocked out this round. I kinda want Teru to totally destroy everyone this round, would make for some good reading.

I definitely hope that the anime expands on the material from the first 6 or so chapters, because there were some things skimmed over insanely fast that should have had far more time. The Saki anime did expand on things from the manga, so some expansion is to be expected, but part of it depends on how many episodes this anime is going to be, I'd think. Does anyone know?
I'm pretty sure its 13 episodes but I'm not 100%. That's still plenty of time to expand on some matches, but would mean some would have to be rushed through a bit.

Yeah, we've been waiting far too long for one of the main characters to actually do well... Nodoka did pretty much nothing, the captain lost, Saki's done not much of note so far... come on, she needs to win this! I assume the idea is to increase the tension for her success... but it's been too long, I want her to start doing well now. :)
Doesn't help that the chapters have only been like 8 pages.

Big One

Banned
Wut Piece spoilers

So apparently Brownbeard is the leader of those centaur...and he's also part crocodile.

Translated spoilers:

Magellan on the cover page

Luffy and the gang have their boat sunk by a bazooka that hits the water's surface
There's a shark in the lake. Zoro is attacked.
The man called Boss is a crocodile centaur.

Brook appears and freezes the guns of the Boss and his group
Having emerged just fine, but still freezing and wet, Luffy schemes to steal the enemies' clothes.
The Boss is scared upon realizing who he's facing.

Law creates an objet d'art by sticking the Marine ship to the island
He faces Sanji's group (Sanji says "There's no way we're gonna run!") and attacks with his power
The hearts of the four pop out and they essentially switch identities.
Sanji is in Nami's body.
Chopper is in Sanji's body.
Nami is in Franky's body.
Franky is in Chopper's body.

The Marines threaten to tattle on Law for breaking the don't-attack-the-government pact (part of being a Shichibukai), so he snatches up their Denden Mushis
Law: "I won't allow you to report to the government or to headquarters all that you've seen here."
Law has the Ope Ope no Mi (Operation Operation Fruit)- he's a Free-mod Human. He confronts Smoker.

Tashigi moves to attack but it also cut down. Her haki wasn't enough (?)

dumbyugi

Yumekui Merry 45
Oh man, shit is getting serious. I mean it was obvious by the end of the chapter but still. This is going to be quite a big dilema and will probably turn into an argument between Engi and Yumeji.

Big One

Banned
Naruto spoilers

I haven't found them yet but apparently two things have happened:

Karin is an Uzamaki
Kabuto is able to use Sage Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom