• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'd have never guessed that Karin is related to Naruto...oh wait, we all guessed that forever ago. XD

Still I actually like that Naruto has some family out there in the world left. It'd be nice if they brought her into his ranks and actually had the two interact.

It is pretty generic, but it's a fun little series. I like the MC even if he can be a bit annoying at times, though I prefered him when he couldn't lie.
I agree on that point, as I said. He was definitely a better character without the ability to lie. I wonder how the series will hold up, now that he has it back... if the girl gets hers back too, what's left of the concept?

It's a pretty damn ridiculous series, but I really enjoy it. I've laughed in pretty much every chapter. Do you read D-Frag? They're very similar in setup and style.
That is true, Fujita-Kun Mates is a pretty ridiculous series and it is often funny in its absurdity, yeah. It's more on the comedy side of harem comedy than many harem shows, and it does somewhat benefit from it, even though it's also plenty generic in a lot of ways.

As for D-Frag, though, no, I don't think I've read it. ... Actually, looking it up, I've read a chapter or two of it, but didn't continue. I don't know if I like it as much as this one. Maybe I'll give it another try or something.

I imagine Kuro will come second but I wouldn't put it past the series for them to get knocked out this round. I kinda want Teru to totally destroy everyone this round, would make for some good reading.
Aww, you want Achiga to lose, and not get their reunion with Nodoka? That'd be a sad ending...

As for Teru though, I can't quite see any of those three outdoing her, no.

I'm pretty sure its 13 episodes but I'm not 100%. That's still plenty of time to expand on some matches, but would mean some would have to be rushed through a bit.
That's what I was suspecting, but hopefully it's more, or at least we eventually get a full-length second season of the main series. :)

But yeah, even 13 would probably have room for expansion based just on what's been seen in the Achiga manga. The two things I most want to see are more mahjong battles -- the manga skips over them with disturbing frequency before this last match -- and a bit more character development for the main five. The Saki anime did both of those things, hopefully this will as well.

Doesn't help that the chapters have only been like 8 pages.
There was one eight page chapter, but most have been at least a little longer than that, though they have been too short for sure.

Averon

So snakes have sage mode as well, and Orochimaru was an incomplete sage like Jiraiya. I guess we'll be seeing the slug sage mode pretty soon?

Reknoc

SDF Macross: The First vol. 1

Seems like a pretty good retelling the first series with a feel of Do You Remember Love? Minmey is even hotter but is now kinda bitchy. Hikaru also got a bit of a personality transplant and became somewhat arrogant.

The art is good overall, especially the females, but Global and Foker end up looking a bit too old.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Naruto and Bleach are nearing the end, huh...

Wonder what mangas will step up to take their place besides One Piece. Regardless of their quality, those two have become a part of the big 3 for so long it would be hard to imagine discussing weekly manga without them, heh.

Big One

Banned
Naruto and Bleach are nearing the end, huh...

Wonder what mangas will step up to take their place besides One Piece. Regardless of their quality, those two have become a part of the big 3 for so long it would be hard to imagine discussing weekly manga without them, heh.
Toriko and Reborn probably.

cdyhybrid

When Bleach ends, I will being reading One Piece, from the very beginning. When I finish One Piece, I will be near death and no longer have a desire to read manga.

flawfuls

SDF Macross: The First vol. 1

Seems like a pretty good retelling the first series with a feel of Do You Remember Love? Minmey is even hotter but is now kinda bitchy. Hikaru also got a bit of a personality transplant and became somewhat arrogant.

The art is good overall, especially the females, but Global and Foker end up looking a bit too old.

She was always somewhat arrogant in the beginning wasn't she?

Bleach won't end for a while though. Wasn't this arc supposed to be pretty long?

Naruto on the other hand might end soon... Jump is pushing Toriko but I doubt they'll succeed.

Gamaran should become part of the Big 3. Why?

- They're fighting the whole time. If they're not fighting, they're training.
- 100% of the characters and enemies are ridiculous badasses. Some are annoying but everyone is a beast in his own regard.
- no character pairings.

It's not in Jump but who gives a fuck?

iavi

- 100% of the characters and enemies are ridiculous badasses. Some are annoying but everyone is a beast in his own regard.
- no character pairings.

That's the problem; Gamaran has no waifus.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

- no character pairings.
Im grateful for all the reasons, but especially the third one. That shit bogs down a series I like more that needless relationships.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There's also the possibility of Dragon Ball situation here, where Kishi and/or Kubo are/is forced to continue their manga due to their popularity. They're making very good money for Jump in terms of business right? What's with their merchandise, related products, etc etc. Especially Naruto.

- no character pairings.

It's not in Jump but who gives a fuck?

What I like about Gamaran is the author does his fights with a quick pace. Also so many powerful characters gets killed in lots of unexpected ways.

Not fond of his overextensive use of "hmph" though, hahaha.

There was a hint of a waifu during the training arc and it's pretty apparent that Gama wil hit that ass eventually but luckily the author gives it as little screentime as possible.

Big One

Banned
There's also the possibility of Dragon Ball situation here, where Kishi and/or Kubo are/is forced to continue their manga due to their popularity. They're making very good money for Jump in terms of business right? What's with their merchandise, related products, etc etc. Especially Naruto.
I don't think they'll do this. The reason is because both Kishi and Kubo have a frame set in mind in how they're going to tell their story. Toriyama literally made shit up and the series could've ended at almost any point that involves a certain storyline ending. Also, neither Naruto and Bleach are nearly the powerhouse Dragonball was. It's always worth noting that Dragonball was pretty much the first time Jump ever had experienced so much success, so they've gained experience from any mistakes they've made.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gonna try reading a shoujo series for a change of pace. Especially after reading KUROSAGI.

I'm gonna try SARUYAMA! due to the presence of this very happy screenshot:

L0r5g.png

CoolS

OP spoilers get them while they're fresh

Magellan on the cover page

Luffy and the gang have their boat sunk by a bazooka that hits the water's surface
There's a shark in the lake. Zoro is attacked.
The man called Boss is a crocodile centaur.

Brook appears and freezes the guns of the Boss and his group
Having emerged just fine, but still freezing and wet, Luffy schemes to steal the enemies' clothes.
The Boss is scared upon realizing who he's facing.

Law creates an objet d'art by sticking the Marine ship to the island
He faces Sanji's group and says there's no way he can let them escape, and thrusts at them.
The hearts of the four pop out and they essentially switch identities.
Sanji is in Nami's body.
Chopper is in Sanji's body.
Nami is in Franky's body.
Franky is in Chopper's body.

The Marines threaten to tattle on Law for breaking the don't-attack-the-government pact (part of being a Shichibukai), so he snatches up their Denden Mushis
Law: "I won't allow you to report to the government or to headquarters all that you've seen here."
Law has the Ope Ope no Mi (Operation Operation Fruit)- he's a Free-mod Human. He confronts Smoker.

Tashigi moves to attack but it also cut down. Her haki wasn't enough (?)

Other bits: Tashigi is cut in two; cover is Hannyabal, the new warden, having Magellan's posture, standing with Domino.
Boss is only introduced as Boss, but his former bounty (because he's a "former pirate") is 80,060,000.

Source is AP Forums

Desmond

Naruto

Karin being an Uzumaki was blatantly obvious. I'm not happy with Snake/Dragon mode being referred to as Sage mode.

BLEACH

Hiyori gets sliced in two but this dude dies?

Also, Halibel! Somebody rescue my Shark Queen!

WTF!
What´s wrong with proving people wrong, especially when when all they spout is bullshit.

But they'd twist my words into more bullshit:(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Finally back...how awesome was this week's One Piece chapter? So awesome.

Brook putting a bunch of centaurs to shame and presumably Luffy kicking Brownbeard's ass incoming. Law fucking up everybody's shit. An actual name for Law's DF! And more of his abilities. Tashigi has haki, albeit not very good. Body-swapped Straw Hats (Sanji's chance of a lifetime!). And Hannyabal became warden!

So much ridiculous shit in this arc. Love it.

Griffith

Banned
Naruto

Dr. Snakes
S2h34.gif

One Piece

Hannyabal as the new warden reinforces my belief that Magellan is an admiral now.

Law's abilities are impressive. Sanji in Nami's body is going to be great.

Desmond

Why is Kishimoto zoning in on Anko in panels? Will she be sacrificed for a final coffin? Kabuto hiding there like he did with the ANBU in the hospital years ago? Somehow using her to collect natural energy?

Also, I hope Sasuke's little Troupe don't appear and help him beat Kabuto.

DR DR DR SNAKES
WON'T YOU HELP ME DOCTOR SNAKES

I doubt that's an accurate trans.

Articalys

Naruto

Can someone explain how Karin being an Uzumaki was "blatantly obvious" aside from the red hair, or was that the only connection?
Anyway, amusing translations aside, I guess Kabuto needed a powerup to fight against the Uchiha on equal terms, though this isn't the way I'd have preferred it happen.

One Piece

Law is a badass, and I just learned that he's voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya in the anime, which makes it even better. Also, excellent, some explanation for Law's devil fruit.

Bleach

Someone named actually died, huh? Now the waiting game begins until Grimmjow reappears, as the last unaccounted-for arrancar.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Naruto
Amazing. If only for the (poor?) translation they kept using of Dr. Snakes.
"You've learnt a lot... Dr Snakes."
"But you won't defeat me by becoming Dr Snakes!"

Bleach
Kubo shutting up shop is clearly what was needed to make Bleach passable again. Forgotten characters return! Things happen! Even if it still feels a lot like one of the non-canon movie plots.

One Piece
creepy coat-jacking faces. Law really does seem a goddam broken tier character. Sanji's journey of absolute sexual confusion continues! There are just so many bigtime players on this island, its cray cray.

I missed NeoGAF.

Dr. Snake

Nice lesson about snakes lol. Karin being a Uzumaki was a given.
Orochimaru being worse than Kabuto is lol. Sage Kabuto being a dragon I will only believe when he breaths fire.

One Piece

WARM CLOTHES lol.
Law ability is like being in the Matrix and he is the One.

Bleach

One day they were the appex of evolution. LOL at the Arrancar.

Desmond

Naruto

Can someone explain how Karin being an Uzumaki was "blatantly obvious" aside from the red hair, or was that the only connection?
Anyway, amusing translations aside, I guess Kabuto needed a powerup to fight against the Uchiha on equal terms, though this isn't the way I'd have preferred it happen.

One Piece

Law is a badass, and I just learned that he's voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya in the anime, which makes it even better. Also, excellent, some explanation for Law's devil fruit.

Red Hair, Strong Chakra, lust for the Sauce

Articalys

Red Hair, Strong Chakra, lust for the Sauce
Hmm, I guess people extrapolating from just those three two factors in the past might have been stretching it a bit, but I suppose it all worked out in the end. This was after Tobi explicitly called out Nagato as an Uzumaki as well, right?

Desmond

Hmm, I guess people extrapolating from just those three two factors in the past might have been stretching it a bit, but I suppose it all worked out in the end. This was after Tobi explicitly called out Nagato as an Uzumaki as well, right?
Yarp.

Here's hoping a Naruto X Karin and Karui/ Uzumaki mating session ending is on the cards

Khezu

Naruto

So naruto is fighting a sharignan user, and sasuke is fighting a sage mode user, heh.
Anyway, hope kabuto survives, now I want to see Naruto vs kabuto really badly.

Also, uzamaki are secretly going to end up being the strongest of the 3 important clans. Kishi is slowly but surely retconing them into the story more and more, and with naruto being the reincarnation of ninja jesus, the rukudo will probably end up being uzamaki, and uchiha and senju were both split from them.

Desmond

Naruto

So naruto is fighting a sharignan user, and sasuke is fighting a sage mode user, heh.
Anyway, hope kabuto survives, now I want to see Naruto vs kabuto really badly.

Also, uzamaki are secretly going to end up being the strongest of the 3 important clans. Kishi is slowly but surely retconing them into the story more and more, and with naruto being the reincarnation of ninja jesus, the rukudo will probably end up being uzamaki, and uchiha and senju were both split from them.

I'm pretty sure this is gonna happen also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom