• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cradle of Monsters 37

Welp, sure called that wrong. He was pretty much the main villain so I figured he'd be around until the finale.

Nozomi to Kimio 6

So boobs girl got her groove back. Wonder who'll be next for some flasher therapy.

MeweW.png

Main girl was awesome this chapter.

That was me and I release that promise. Go with a TWGOK girl cause that's what the rookies do. You want to start out slow.
Oh you. Whoever it was, they liked Ar Tonelico. Also I'd need to read TWGOK first.

upandaway

Fukashigi Philia 10

"Oh man now he's going through everyone's quirk.. wait no, wait, dude WAIT ALRIGHT, aren't we forgetting someone here, what about y- OH."

This is hilarious because MC thinks he's like the craziest person to ever live, when he's the most sane one in the group.

Aw man not Sensei no Bulge, it only just got started and it's pretty good, but with those rankings it's going to be over before it really begins.
It's going exactly like Oumagadoki Zoo, a pretty great first chapter and then sort of not really anything.

At least Zoo had some of the best animal-human designs ever.

The only way Umi no Misaki can redeem itself is if it turns out main dude actually isn't the reincarnation of the dragon god, causing some major emotional turmoil among the haremates. Either that or he just decided to up and leave the island since the crazy cult would be fucked then.

scy

The only way Umi no Misaki can redeem itself is if it turns out main dude actually isn't the reincarnation of the dragon god, causing some major emotional turmoil among the haremates. Either that or he just decided to up and leave the island since the crazy cult would be fucked then.

I think it's too late for them to pull that card. I was kind of hoping/expecting it to happen but it probably won't happen now just due to current events.

At least not without a retcon, I guess.

Assassination Classroom 5
tumblr_m81s1ffEhI1qbxqfpo1_400.png

Karma is great. He brought actual comedy and intelligence to this manga, and I couldnt help but chuckle whenever his personality kicked in or he was at it with sensei. I hated how it resolved this chapter though. Also Karma was only introduced last week and he already has fanart, nice.

Soul Cartel 18

Underworld looks pretty normal, though with Si hun on his own, I wonder how he will be able to survive as well as protect the souls with him.

dramatis

There's an unconfirmed table of contents floating around. Bleach actually isn't on it, and Barrage is dead last, meaning last week wasn't a fluke.

Edit: I didn't notice this earlier, but Bleach is getting a color page in Issue 38 (issue after this one), so Kubo's just out for this week.

-_-

Banned
Well I was abrupt, I shouldn't have bolded the Evangelion part. What I meant is that while it can be interesting, the situation and character interactions in Genshiken 2 are imho far from being realistic.

OK you got me there. I relate far too Ogiue/Sasahara back in s. 1 than 2. Still props for going into uncharted lands. Now Hato just needs to be intersex and Trusty, we got ourselves the most progressive manga ever.

El Sloth

Banned
Psyren's ending was so rushed but it was pretty good.

As for Claymore, there's still a little more catching up to do!
My favorite part of Psyren for a while was how the powers had what seemed like clearly defined rules and limits. The battles were fun to read since it was a lot about outsmarting the other guy in the beginning. That fell apart at the end with the dragonball Z-esque battles.

Was still awesome to watch Kagetora be a manly motherfucker though.

PK Gaming

Solanin - End

This manga has a soul.

I don't say that about many other mangas. It actually changed my life a bit. What I like best about Solanin is that it is was *funny* and fairly realistic. The story never took itself too seriously, unlike most other manga's (oh and the japanese people in this manga actually look like japanese people...) Even the darker bits and serious parts are ultimately light-hearted and sunny. The exception being Taneda's suicide, which actually made me shed a tear. It was pretty overwhelming and the fallout was pretty big. The author could have just made him die via accident, but he actually made Taneda commit suicide, which made the entire sequence all the more powerful. The characters were bright and loveable (my favorite "non-meiko character being yamado). Meiko herself was a fantastic character, she's one of my favorite protagonists in a manga, (partly due to the fact she's so relatable). I've been reading for a while now, and not many of them personally affected me as much as Solanin. Awesome manga.

Solanin - End

This manga has a soul.

I don't say that about many other mangas. It actually changed my life a bit. What I like best about Solanin is that it is was *funny* and fairly realistic. The story never took itself too seriously, unlike most other manga's (oh and the japanese people in this manga actually look like japanese people...) Even the darker bits and serious parts are ultimately light-hearted and sunny. The exception being Taneda's suicide, which actually made me shed a tear. It was pretty overwhelming and the fallout was pretty big. The author could have just made him die via accident, but he actually made Taneda commit suicide, which made the entire sequence all the more powerful. The characters were bright and loveable (my favorite "non-meiko character being yamado). Meiko herself was a fantastic character, she's one of my favorite protagonists in a manga, (partly due to the fact she's so relatable). I've been reading for a while now, and not many of them personally affected me as much as Solanin. Awesome manga.
If you like Manga with powerful stories, you should read Sanctuary.

survivor

Banned
Solanin - End

This manga has a soul.

You finally did it man, after all these years of trying to convince you to read it. Now if only the other person coughgunbocough starts reading it...

Also read A Girl by the Sea from Asano. It's the most realistic manga about high school students lol

Solanin - End

This manga has a soul.

but the art is so shit man how can u read?

read pluto or vagabond or real or slam dunk

Tower of God 70

My god... Yuri is fuckin ridiculous. The riceball dude has been pretty hyped up, yet she friggin one-shots the guy's super creatures!

Solune

I promised someone on gaming side ages ago I wouldn't change my avatar. Annoyingly I can't remember who it was.

Holy shit, I've got myself a premise for an awesome manga.
Can I be your Marika?
That was me and I release that promise. Go with a TWGOK girl cause that's what the rookies do. You want to start out slow.
That's funny, I rocked a Haqua avatar for a while...
Oh you. Whoever it was, they liked Ar Tonelico. Also I'd need to read TWGOK first.
I wonder if it was luka :lol, but Misha is awesome =3
My favorite part of Psyren for a while was how the powers had what seemed like clearly defined rules and limits. The battles were fun to read since it was a lot about outsmarting the other guy in the beginning. That fell apart at the end with the dragonball Z-esque battles.

Was still awesome to watch Kagetora be a manly motherfucker though.
I didn't mind the DBZ-esque battles, I'm like Cosmic when it comes to shounen, the more crazy it gets the better. Although the whole wiping out dinosaurs in the Prince of Tennis movie was just a "wut" moment for me.
Natsume Yuujinchou - 54

http://i.imgur.com/1HnPnl.png

There is never enough Natsume. Gimme more chapters. :(
I'm still upset that NISA isn't releasing Blu-rays for the season 1 and 2, though people tell me that the first 2 seasons don't have blu-rays released in Japan? I really want to starting watching the anime since I've heard great things in the anime thread.
If only there was a regular release schedule...:(
funny how I related more to AGBTS than Solannin

I don't think it's so much funny as much as it is revealing your nature ;)

survivor

Banned
I'm still upset that NISA isn't releasing Blu-rays for the season 1 and 2, though people tell me that the first 2 seasons don't have blu-rays released in Japan? I really want to starting watching the anime since I've heard great things in the anime thread.
It has a sexy BD box for the first two seasons
HJPux.jpg

Well I've never been in a band but I've been to high school, so that explains it !
Did this happen to you in high school?
K6MR1.png

Tower of God part 1 end

Jesus, that was like one twist after another. I don't even know what to say. Just all around craziness and questioning certain character actions. Lahel/Rachel's betrayal and selfish real personality, the instructor dudes qutting/being fired, the red haired guide woman, Zahard's role in all this. Definitely a very strong ending that has left me with a ton of questions I can't wait to find out the answers to.

Never thought I would get so worked up over a Manwha webcomic. On to part 2!

flawfuls

Tower of God S2 25

But it doesn't matter how deep the stab wound was. A stab wound to the front of the neck isn't going to make you lose function in your lower limbs unless it goes all the way through to the spinal chord.

survivor

Banned
Koguresou Monogatari vol 1 End

Ll4qr.png

This was pretty good. I always wanted to read a slice of life manga that follows a group of people living in an apartment building and their daily interactions. Are there any other manga with similar concept?

I liked the range of stories presented and I especially loved the way they transition from each character. The Mitsu and Kamizaki story is my favourite one from the manga and had a nice amount of funny scenes and serious ones. Mayu's story was also good though I disagree with Kamizaki assessment of her situation. I don't really think she was cheating on Namiki when the guy has been gone for 3 years without leaving a word or even contacting her at any point during his absence. And yet, he still thought he can just barge back in into her life again like nothing happened. I liked Nijiko's character and her supernatural powers. She pushed Namiki to confront Mayu which was good, but I'm glad she didn't end up with him. It would have sucked to see him win over Akio. Also, I'm not that sure of Namiki's reason for travelling, I think he did give a reason for leaving but it was lost on me.

I read some comments from other people that the ending was open ended and not conclusive which I don't get. Mayu moved on from her attachment to Namiki by leaving the apartment building and she is still with Akio. Mitsu and Kamizaki are still friends and their story is done, and Namiki is going to Tunisia after confirming that he has no future with Mayu. I guess maybe people wanted to see Namiki and Nijiko hook up? Dunno, didn't look like he was romantically interested in her. I am however interested in knowing what exactly happened during their last conversation, especially how the coffee tasted to Nijiko.

Oh yeah, the manga's description is really weird.
Kogure-sou is a crumbling old apartment building of just six rooms where four people live. On the first floor are the owner, a very old man who wants to have sex before he dies, and a girl in university who pines in a sad and complicated love. On the second floor are a salary man who finds meaning to his life in spying on the university girl below him, and Mayu whose boyfriend disappeared three years ago. Also involved are the florist from the nearby shop who worries over her husband’s infidelity and Mine who is still troubled by a crime committed a long time ago. What all of them strive for is love, but they all find nothing but pain and bitter disappointments. Do they realize that what heals them is actually the run-down little apartment building and the real human warmth that they share with each other?
Who the fuck is Mine? And who is that old dude?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
HARUKA SEVENTEEN

This is a rather good manga about the whole idol/gravure industry, huh. Good concept, the art is okay, and the story line is rather enjoyable too.

Lawl,I sorta, kinda know mysticwhip in real life. I just really don't like Solanin's art though I do Like A Girl by The Sea, when's a new chapter coming out for that manga?
Nisekoi
Isn't it kinda obvious who the mystery girl is(the girl featured in the color pages of the first chapter) based on the hair color alone?

Azure J

Seeing that Solanin review blew my mind wide open just now. Reason? It just hit me that
Taneda accelerated himself into the oncoming traffic

I'm slow I know, but fuck. That manga just got bumped up another tier.

Meanwhile, in lighter notes:

Binougami-ga

Holy shit, this is the funniest thing I've read in months. The constant visual shout outs (and best girl Ranmaru) are killing me and reminding me that I should really read JoJos soon.

Akito

OP spoiler

After eating the candy, Smiley blows up.
The apple in the sled below him turned into what looks like a devil fruit.

After exploding, he became gaseous and started swalloing humans.
People swallowed by the gas freeze up and cannot move.

Sanji, Zoro, Brook, and Kin-emon run for their lives.
They spot a dragon ahead of them, and decide to grab onto it and fly away

Luffy sees the video and spots Zoro and others.
Luffy and co are about to be thrown outside in their cage.
Chopper is panicking, thinking of way to save Luffy.. when a piece of paper flies his way.
It reads "Don't do anything yet".

Below the cage are tons of marines. Law says it's time to retaliate.

End of chapter.
(The last sentence could be taken both ways, as Law saying it's time to retaliate, or Law stating marines are going to retaliate.
But most likely former, so I chose it.)
Looks like they deliberately stay in the cage for some reason.

Kusagari

Naruto's out.

Naruto:
Blah, pretty lame chapter. The whole thing is just Kakashi determining that Tobi's phasing in and out is one jutsu. From what I can make out it seems that when Tobi phases he inhabits the same dimension that Kamui sends things. Thus, Kakashi uses this to his advantage at the end so Naruto's Rasengan can hit Tobi.

Khezu

Naruto

How is Kakashi still standing?

So like every time Kakashi just black holed something, there is a chance it could have killed tobi? Like if tobi was walking through a wall because hes a lazy fuck and refuses to use the door, all of a sudden one of Asura realms missiles just poped up in his stomach and exploded.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Naruto
The action was actually coherent this time and I like that Kakashi finally is using his brain and fighting for real for the first time in ages. And now they hopefully have hax Tobi figured out. Nice.

Naruto

This pretty much confirms that Tobi is using a variant of the same jutsu as Kakashi. Whenever Tobi materialises he also brings back the objects Kakashi prievously sent away to another dimension. Can't wait for the eventual Obito reveal!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Naruto

This pretty much confirms that Tobi is using a variant of the same jutsu as Kakashi. Whenever Tobi materialises he also brings back the objects Kakashi prievously sent away to another dimension. Can't wait for the eventual Obito reveal!
Yeah, this chapter makes the whole Obito thing pretty obvious. But people will still hope that its not true.

Yeah, this chapter makes the whole Obito thing pretty obvious. But people will still hope that its not true.

Even if Tobi is not Obito, it is obvious that he is at least using his eye. No matter what Obito should return, even if it is only in a flashback.

Akito

Naruto
Much better to follow this time but rasengan could only blow up a sleeve of Tobi, gotta do better Naruto. How many more times can Kakashi use his hax?

Tobe

Seriously tho I don't think it's obito, it could be a variant tho. But since that "madara" has a collection of eyes he might have gotten obito other eye right? I just find stupid the fact that he isn't going all out on them.

Seriously sharingan + rinnegan + gedou mazou= OPness

Seriously tho I don't think it's obito, it could be a variant tho. But since that "madara" has a collection of eyes he might have gotten obito other eye right? I just find stupid the fact that he isn't going all out on them.

One question though

How could he have gotten it/ have it currently if obito's side was crushed by a huge fucking rock?

Big One

Banned
Naruto D

Another chapter of eye cancer. Characters finally using thought in this manga is pretty good but anything involving Uchiha in some form or another is pretty much instantly shit no matter what you can do. As if Tobi being Obito (name anagram, people) wasn't so obvious already, Kishimoto insists on making readers wait as I continue to read terrible Future Sasuke/Sasuke's Dad theories from the fanbase in hope that I could reconcile the possibility that Kishimoto isn't completely fucking nuts and can still make a decent twist instead of a twist that doesn't make any legitimate sense whatsoever outside of Kingdom Hearts sensibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom