• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
  • The technique clearly originates from his right Sharingan.
  • Only the Mangekyou Sharingan is capable of casting techniques of this nature.
  • And it's appearance is always hidden as he uses it.
Means that it's most likely a Mangekyou Sharingan with a Tomoe Seal we'd recognize.

For the record, I'm still betting on Tobi being Izuna. :p

No, Kamui is a time based magic that warps things into the future and Tobi warps himself temporarily into the future when he phases out. Sasuke stole Kakashi's eye at some point and then used it's time traveling powers to travel to the past as Tobi.

pirHk.gif
pirHk.gif
pirHk.gif

[/DTL]

ryan13ts

one piece

Wait a fucking minute! A normal fruit turned into a devil fruit. What kind of dumb shit is this? There´s no explanation or anything. Besides the gas gas fruit is already eaten by Cesar, and there should not be 2 devil fruits at the same time.

If this is true, than this is much dumber and worse than fan fiction.

Shit, it´s true. Fucking lol.

The apple that turned into a Devil Fruit wasn't Caesar's Gasu Gasu no mi, it was Smiley's Devil Fruit (I forgot the name of his DF, it was some Zoan type). Since we're assuming that Smiley died when he ate that candy and exploded, the Devil Fruit he had eaten somehow "transfered" to the nearest fruit, which happened to be those apples.

And it's always been insinuated that the process of how Devil Fruit's reappeared was something similar to what happened in this chapter. It was stated by Oda that once a user dies, his the fruit regrows somewhere in the world. I guess we just weren't expecting it to happen somewhere so close.

Hell, now that we know that the "essense" of a DF is reborn in the nearest fruit, I'm guessing Ace's Mera Mera no mi must have regrown somewhere near where Marineford? I just hope it was one of Ace's allies that ended up with his DF instead of the Marines.

I doubt anyone was carrying a normal fruit to war. This doesn't seem like something everyone would know about. The question is, how does Blackbeard know about it? It's likely that he did, and he didn't arrive until after Ace's death. We'll see.

If anyone is going to know about how the process of Devil Fruits work, it's going to be high ranking Marines like Sengoku. Dr. Vegapunk is working for them, and this is the guy who has pretty much figured everything about regarding Devil Fruits, including how to make inanimate objects "Eat" one, as well as discovering Kairoseki and it's ability to render DF's useless. So naturally, by extention, it would make sense that Vegapunk would have shared this information with higher ranking Marines, and certainly with the Fleet Commander of the entire Marines.

Maybe it's just possible that the Marines weren't interested in Ace's DF, or maybe they did have a backup plan for acquiring his DF and we just didn't know about it. I'm sure we'll find out in the future either way, as I'm positive someone will show up in the future sporting the Mera Mera no mi.

Wiseblade

one piece

Wait a fucking minute! A normal fruit turned into a devil fruit. What kind of dumb shit is this? There´s no explanation or anything. Besides the gas gas fruit is already eaten by Cesar, and there should not be 2 devil fruits at the same time.

If this is true, than this is much dumber and worse than fan fiction.

Shit, it´s true. Fucking lol.

You've got to try harder than that.

The apple that turned into a Devil Fruit wasn't Caesar's Gasu Gasu no mi, it was Smiley's Devil Fruit (I forgot the name of his DF, it was some Zoan type). Since we're assuming that Smiley "died" when he ate that candy and exploded, the Devil Fruit he had eaten somehow "transfered" to the nearest fruit, which happened to be those apples.

And it's always been insinuated that the process of how Devil Fruit's reappeared was something similar to what happened in this chapter. It was stated by Oda that once a user dies, his the fruit regrows somewhere in the world. I guess we just weren't expecting it to happen somewhere so close.

Hell, now that we know that the "essense" of a DF is reborn in the nearest fruit, I'm guessing Ace's Mera Mera no mi must have regrown somewhere near where Marineford? I just hope it was one of Ace's allies that ended up with his DF instead of the Marines.

That doesn't explain how Blackbeard was able to gain Whitebeard's power (supposedly) without eating a fruit. And I can't help but feel like I read in an SBS that there's supposed to be significant cooldown time between when a DF user dies and when their fruit respawns.

Wiseblade

To be honest though, if any other manga didn't explain something right away, people would be calling plothole/asspull.

Not really. There are plenty of series mentioned in this very thread that people are willing to be patient for and wait for explanations. Magi and TWGOK being a prime example. Beam is just bitter that people don't extend Bleach the same courtesy.

To be honest though, if any other manga didn't explain something right away, people would be calling plothole/asspull.

It's not like the "transfer" was important in this chapter. We'll get an explanation as soon as we need one. This was just Oda throwing us a bone.

The apple that turned into a Devil Fruit wasn't Caesar's Gasu Gasu no mi, it was Smiley's Devil Fruit (I forgot the name of his DF, it was some Zoan type). Since we're assuming that Smiley died when he ate that candy and exploded, the Devil Fruit he had eaten somehow "transfered" to the nearest fruit, which happened to be those apples.

I always thought, and plenty others, that when a person dies a devil fruits grows up instead.

Hell, now that we know that the "essense" of a DF is reborn in the nearest fruit
This is what i am having a big problem with. In this case why a fruit? Why not the first inanimate object that came across? Why not the first sandwich? Why not the first cow, or any other living cattle? Why not the first fish that it comes in its way? Why not transfer to the human besides the person? This transfer of power does not make sense. Not one lick of it.

If anyone is going to know about how the process of Devil Fruits work, it's going to be high ranking Marines like Sengoku. Dr. Vegapunk is working for them, and this is the guy who has pretty much figured everything about regarding Devil Fruits, including how to make inanimate objects "Eat" one, as well as discovering Kairoseki and it's ability to render DF's useless. So naturally, by extention, it would make sense that Vegapunk would have shared this information with higher ranking Marines, and certainly with the Fleet Commander of the entire Marines.

Maybe it's just possible that the Marines weren't interested in Ace's DF, or maybe they did have a backup plan for acquiring his DF and we just didn't know about it. I'm sure we'll find out in the future either way, as I'm positive someone will show up in the future sporting the Mera Mera no mi.
I have a feeling that after all this time the reveal will be very underwhelming.
Huh? Did you expect an explanation in this chapter? You're treating it like it won't be explained later. What? Good lord, Beam, calm down.
I am calm, that does not mean that it is not stupid. And why not explained in this chapter. This is chapter number 676 and we still don´t have any explanations about one of the most important aspect of this manga.
You've got to try harder than that.
Try what exactly? Just because i critic this hugely flawed thing, and i don´t see it your way, does not mean that i am trolling.
Well bro, you should know how it is by now. None explained stuff in other manga = plot hole. None explained stuff in one piece = wait for explanation.

Stoof

I don't see how it's flawed when it wasn't even explained yet... :smh

Though I'm sure when Tobi is revealed (Obito) and we get a ridiculous 10 chapter back story (about Obito), then it won't be an asspull or plothole.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't see how it's flawed when it wasn't even explained yet... :smh

Though I'm sure when Tobi is revealed (Obito) and we get a ridiculous 10 chapter back story (about Obito), then it won't be an asspull or plothole.

It can't be a plothole if there's no plot behind it yet.

ryan13ts

That doesn't explain how Blackbeard was able to gain Whitebeard's power (supposedly) without eating a fruit. And I can't help but feel like I read in an SBS that there's supposed to be significant cooldown time between when a DF user dies and when their fruit respawns.

I'm going out on a limb here and this is just my speculation, but I'm guessing Blackbeard knew how DF's are transferred after the user's death. He probably just had a fruit with him handy, and used that to contain Whitebeard's DF.... this is assuming that the "essence" of the ability transfers to the nearest fruit.

Now as far as why Blackbeard was able to actually gain another ability when he already had one... That one I'm completely stumped on. I'm fairly sure it didn't have anything to do with the rebirth process of the DF, but rather something unique to Blackbeard himself. Marco even said that there was something unusual about Blackbeard's body, so I'm certain that secret of how he gained two Devil Fruit abilities lies there.

There are some pretty wacky theories floating out there as to how he did this, with one of them even saying he has two people in one body (Like a fetal twin or something). I don't know if I buy into all that, I'm hoping that when Oda finally gives the true explanation, that it will be a lot more "believable" and not so out there.

I always thought, and plenty others, that when a person dies a devil fruits grows up instead.

That's what I thought as well. Oda never exactly said how it happened, but I guess everyone just assumed a new fruit sprung up somewhere else in the world. Granted, after this chapter, we know differently now...

This is what i am having a big problem with. In this case why a fruit? Why not the first inanimate object that came across? Why not the first sandwich? Why not the first cow, or any other living cattle? Why not the first fish that it comes in its way? Why not transfer to the human besides the person? This transfer of power does not make sense. Not one lick of it.

Dude, a Devil Fruit is still a fruit. If it's essensse is going to be reborn elsewhere, it's not going to go into a sandwich or a cow... It's going to into another fruit. I understand where your coming from, as it seems like it would make better sense for a new fruit to grow altogether on it's own, but the idea is the ability transfering into another fruit isn't that out there.

Mr. Fix

Now as far as why Blackbeard was able to actually gain another ability when he already had one... That one I'm completely stumped on. I'm fairly sure it didn't have anything to do with the rebirth process of the DF, but rather something unique to Blackbeard himself. Marco even said that there was something unusual about Blackbeard's body, so I'm certain that secret of how he gained two Devil Fruit abilities lies there.

Yep. We just don't know how yet.

Kurita

Takamagahara
Good chapter. That Kanji guy is cool.

One Piece
So this time we saw Rob Lucci.
The counter-attack sounds good.

So, like the Quincies then, right? Maybe the Soul King, or the Royal Guards? I feel you, Beam.

We do have an explanation about the quincies. It was made at the beginning of Bleach. If you have any question about the quincies i will answer it. The Soul King, and The Royal guard have not been prominent in the manga and not nearly as important as the devil fruits in one piece.

Mr. Fix

We do have an explanation about the quincies. It was made at the beginning of Bleach. If you have any question about the quincies i will answer it. The Soul King, and The Royal guard have not been prominent in the manga and not nearly as important as the devil fruits in one piece.

That's the thing though, I don't think devil fruits are crucial to the plot (maybe? I'm not sure). As for the Quincies though, they didn't come to light until recently. It turns out they're still alive. They must have an ulterior motive right? Aside from destroying the soul society/shinigami. Unless I missed what that was.

These are mysteries, and they'll be explained in time. If they explained it now, people would complain that it detracts from the climax of the arc.

That's the thing though, I don't think devil fruits are crucial to the plot (maybe? I'm not sure). As for the Quincies though, they didn't come to light until recently. It turns out they're still alive. They must have an ulterior motive right? Aside from destroying the soul society/shinigami. Unless I missed what that was.

These are mysteries, and they'll be explained in time. If they explained it now, people would complain that it detracts from the climax of the arc.

But devil fruits are very essential to the manga. Every powerful guy/girl have that power. All the main villains have devil fruits. It´s essential to understand since devil fruits are a huge weapon and is used to go to wars, fights etc....

The quincies showed up in the manga very early, when we were introduced to Uryuu.
Soken (Uryuu´s grandfather) told Uryuu that he did not want to see a shinigami quincy again. He did not mean the Ishidas because they were on a good relationship with the shinigami. They even agreed that the quincies were wrong in their actions. So why Soken would be talking about the Ishidas, if they see the shinigami on the right side of the war?

Kreed

One Piece 676:

Lol @ the "panda group" release having a missing page. So nice to have alternatives now.

I totally misinterpreted the chapter until I came into this thread though. I didn't catch the devil fruit "appearing" or "Smiley" dying. When I read the chapter I thought Smiley ate the devil fruit and transformed into gas (I thought the lines appearing was just a issue with the scanned art).

So now I am confused. How is Ceasar supposed to sell this experiment to anyone? Is he going to contain the gas/remains of Smiley? Or does he know how to recreate the gas without Smiley and its devil fruit? Might be time to reread a chapter of two back.

As for the devil fruit appearing, this isn't really an explanation as to their origin but at least it explains why they are so hard to obtain and why there isn't a devil fruit tree somewhere being harvested. It also makes everyone's devil fruits a bit more "gruesome" if they were all obtained through death. But it also explains how the marines have such powerful fruits, if they can just kill people with the fruits they want and have fruits nearby to collect the powers from.

Lol, can't believe I almost missed such an important detail.

Mr. Fix

But devil fruits are very essential to the manga. Every powerful guy/girl have that power. All the main villains have devil fruits. It´s essential to understand since devil fruits are a huge weapon and is used to go to wars, fights etc....

True, but give it some time (within this arc) for an explanation. In Bleach, we had small hints of the Quincy, and a couple years later, here we are.

Looking for a medieval monster killing manga in the vein of Claymore or even better Berserk. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my iPhone through jacked Wi-Fi.

Pimpwerx

Naruto
Good chapter. I like the action in the last few chapters. Kakashi figuring out that they're teleporting stuff to the same dimension should allow him to figure out that it's Obito...if he doesn't already know. I mean, alternate eyes and same jutsu and all. Maybe he's just being willfully ignorant of it so it doesn't deter him from trying to kill him. Naruto shoulda used a bijuu ball or rasenshuriken, though.

One Piece
Not much progress this chapter, but interesting reveal on the devil fruit. I like someone's theory that Blackbeard has a conjoined twin. That would not only explain him able to contain two devils, but also access both of them, since siamese twins share so much genetically.

I'm interested to see who threw the note at Chopper, as well as how Law plans on breaking them out.

I hope Kubo feels better soon. I've been enjoying this Bleach arc. PEACE.

One piece

If the transfer is really that instant more so than we thought i guess that is what Blackbeard did to Whitebeard and is currently doing to other people Blackbeard was targeting (IIRC Jimbei said he's now on a DF ability hunt).

Could be a certain time limit for getting the transfer to the closest fruit and if its missed it will go to some other fruit some where else.

Naruto
Good chapter. I like the action in the last few chapters. Kakashi figuring out that they're teleporting stuff to the same dimension should allow him to figure out that it's Obito...if he doesn't already know. I mean, alternate eyes and same jutsu and all. Maybe he's just being willfully ignorant of it so it doesn't deter him from trying to kill him. Naruto shoulda used a bijuu ball or rasenshuriken, though.

To be fair they were going off Kakashi's hypothesis so using such a technique that might have failed would have been a huge risk somewhat for Naruto and maybe bigger for Kakashi himself since he's the one sending the technique to the dimension (kinda like how he got fucked up when he teleported that missile during pain invasion)

Kusagari

One piece

If the transfer is really that instant more so than we thought i guess that is what Blackbeard did to Whitebeard and is currently doing to people (remember Jimbei said he's now on a DF ability hunt).

Could be a certain time limit for getting the transfer to the closest fruit and if its missed it will go to some other fruit some where else.

I really doubt it. Marco said that he assumed it was something unique to Blackbeard and his 'body structure'. And I find it hard to believe Marco wouldn't know about the DF transfer system.

One Piece

The pacing or importance of events in the chapter just seemed odd. Why so many panels on the apple that received no explanation at all? Surely if it needed that much attention someone could have said something? Those could have been used for focusing on the one that threw Chopper the note, or on how Luffy one second had tons of energy and then the next nearly fainted. I do think it had some interesting suspenseful moments, if not scary (people hardening like that is pretty spooky), but I think the arc is starting to show signs of regaining that special Oda touch that has been missing for weeks now.

I really doubt it. Marco said that he assumed it was something unique to Blackbeard and his 'body structure'. And I find it hard to believe Marco wouldn't know about the DF transfer system.

I'm not talking about BB actually being able to use the fruit though (as that is a different kettle of fish) but more of how he would have gotten it in some form from WB's body (i don't think BB carved him and such). Or maybe BB's body has the same characteristics of transferring so it just went to him.

And does Marco really care about such details though since the crew didn't seem to revere the DF's as much (they might take it if they see it but are not as obsessive imo). BB seems the opposite since he was crazy detailed in knowing exactly where the fruit he wanted was and went as far as to kill someone to get it.

Note: This is all thought based on if the transfer thing is what really happened there.

Reborn

I am so damn sick of Tsuna´s weak ass personality in dealing with his allies. Get some back bone already.

He's still doing this horseshit?

SMH

So I've been reading Baby Steps

It's like a very down to Earth sports manga (tennis). I don't know what it is but I think I like how the main character doesn't annoy me.

ch. 49 at the moment.

ryan13ts

I'm not talking about BB actually being able to use the fruit though (as that is a different kettle of fish) but more of how he would have gotten it in some form from WB's body (i don't think BB carved him and such). Or maybe BB's body as the same characteristics of transferring so it just went to him.

And does Marco really care about such details though since the crew didn't seem to revere the DF's as much (they might take it if they see it but are not as obsessive imo). BB seems the opposite since he was crazy detailed in knowing exactly where the fruit he wanted was and went as far as to kill someone to get it.

Note: This is all thought based on if the transfer thing is what really happened there.

Actually, what you just said about Blackbeard's body having the characteristics that allow for DF's abilities to be transferred to him gave me an idea for a new theory of how he has more than one ability.

What if it's not his actual body, but rather his original Devil Fruit itself that allows him to have more than one ability. Blackbeard's Yami Yami no Mi controls darkness and also allows him to "absorb" things into black holes he creates. Since he can also negate DF users abilities just by touching them, maybe it's possible that he's able to "absorb" the ability out of a dead user completely as well, since the ability would be about to transfer out of the body anyways. Keep in mind when he did his little secret thing to Whitebeard under the cover (That sounds so dirty, I know), it was pretty much right after he died, so maybe it was just soon enough to where he was able to use his Darkness/Gravity ability to literally suck the essence of the fruits ability right out of him.

By doing this, he can get around the hole loop hole of not being able to eat more than one DF, since he's technically not eating it but rather absorbing the ability. Futhermore, the stolen ability wouldn't be "within"/part of his body like the Yami Yami no Mi, but rather contained in some temporal place that he can hold it until he wants to expel it (Just like when he used his ability to pull the town into a black hole, and then he released everything from the hole when he was ready to do it). This would also explain why he was so determined to get this EXACT fruit, as he might have figured out that he would be able to steal others abilities with it. It also explains why he's doing a Devil Fruit user hunt right now, since it's possible that he could use more than just the two abilities he has now.

If this is actually what Blackbeard is doing, this would make him easily the most powerful person in the One Piece world. He could theoretically use as many abilities as he could get his hands on. I know it's kind of a stretch, but I think this could actually be possible. What do you guys think?

upandaway

One Piece

THE APPLES OH GOD

1. It doesn't have to be "the nearest" fruit
2. It doesn't have to be immediately after the death
- I assume WB's power was still in his body shortly after his death (unless BB carried a fruit on him and still needed the body, which is a bit silly). So it wasn't immediately there.
3. Smiley is not really alive, the only "live" part of him is the Devil Fruit power itself. Therefore, him dying doesn't necessarily mean all other normal DF deaths function the same.
Also remember that normal Zoans don't gain another animal consciousness when they eat a fruit. We don't really know how an object Zoan works.
4. We still don't know how Smiley died: The Candy could have been a normal chemical reaction that caused the new poison, or it could have been something with a special function against DF users (or object Zoans) that "releases" the DF from its host.

What gets me here is the fact that this is the first time the SHs have been near a "free domain" DF (i.e. it doesn't belong to anyone yet). The possibilities are endless. I hope it doesn't just get snatched in the background.

This is a bit of a stretch, but we can't be sure that the apples are THE DF that Smiley ate. It could be a different power. If all DFs come from the same origin, it's not too much of a stretch to think they're not bound to one power when they restart.

Angry Grimace

Tobi's gonna step on the nail that Kakashi warped in the Pain fight. Callback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom