• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Eh, Toriko's the best Shonen running atm. If people actually gave it a chance instead of dismissing it for it's unique premise, they'd find something similar to One Piece with an old-school FotNS flare. Plus the main character not only starts off famous, he's also strong, smart, and analytical. A breath of fresh air compared to all the recent generic tropes.
Plus it has Zebra.

Eh, Toriko's the best Shonen running atm. If people actually gave it a chance instead of dismissing it for it's unique premise, they'd find something similar to One Piece with an old-school FotNS flare. Plus the main character not only starts off famous, he's also strong, smart, and analytical. A breath of fresh air compared to all the recent generic tropes.
Plus it has Zebra.

I have to disagree, how is Toriko a breath of fresh air. For shonen in the genre in jump, Tsuna in Reborn seems more fitting for a breath of fresh air, one can clearly see whom Toriko takes inspiration from as well as the formula the series follows. Toriko character designs are also a bit lacking.

Averon

Naruto:
oL9lq.gif

Trying to wrap my head around the manner in which these attacks are hitting Tobi possibly through his warp dimension.

When Tobi goes intangible, his physical body warps into another dimension. The body that's intangible is sort of like a ghostly after image, a side effect of him warping himself into another dimension. Kakashi warped the kunai and Rasengan into the same dimension his physical body resides in.

That's how I understand it.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Admittedly, I don't read Reborn as I hear it's just fangirl bait.
Anyway, how is Toriko NOT unique compared to all the pretty boy, "friendship is power", inspired-by-Goku main leads that dominate most RECENT Shonen?
As for the character designs? That just comes down to opinion.
I could easily as say most of Reborn's cast all have the same bishie face and are only differentiated by their hair. Again, opinions.

ElFly

My theory is that BB's body has two vanishing twins inside, or two, hidden and small, siamese brothers, which are the ones who absorbed the fruit. After all his jolly roger has three skulls in it for no good reason. So maybe he covered whitebeard's body to hide his deformity.

As for whether he absorbed whitebeard's power with the yami yami power, or with the fruit transfer, since the absorption was permanent I'd say it was the later.

But maybe they covered the body in a tarp just to keep in secret the fruit transfer method, since it seems that nobody knew about it, other than Caesar Crown.

The stupid part is that CC cannot sell this weapon to more than one person at a time.

dramatis

Admittedly, I don't read Reborn as I hear it's just fangirl bait.
Anyway, how is Toriko NOT unique compared to all the pretty boy, "friendship is power", inspired-by-Goku main leads that dominate most RECENT Shonen?
As for the character designs? That just comes down to opinion.
I could easily as say most of Reborn's cast all have the same bishie face and are only differentiated by their hair. Again, opinions.
It's DTL, you're getting trolled.

That said, I have a friend who long since moved on to comics but Reborn is good enough for him to actually turn around, read it, and keep up with its releases, so I suppose it has its own merits.

I'm suggesting:
|OT6| Read the mood, damnit!

Erigu

When Tobi goes intangible, his physical body warps into another dimension. The body that's intangible is sort of like a ghostly after image, a side effect of him warping himself into another dimension. Kakashi warped the kunai and Rasengan into the same dimension his physical body resides in.
That's how I understand it.
Don't quite understand how Kakashi's kunai could hit the mask considering Kakashi used Kamui after Tobi deflected it... It was Naruto it was about to hit, not Tobi.

Averon

Don't quite understand how Kakashi's kunai could hit the mask considering Kakashi used Kamui after Tobi deflected it... It was Naruto it was about to hit, not Tobi.

When Kakashi warps objects into Tobi's dimension, the direction the object is traveling in is mirrored. If that's the case, it would explain why the kunai grazed Tobi's mask.

Haikyuu 1-3

Pretty interesting series that makes volleyball seem interesting. Focusing on the teamwork is a great start to get the rivals to work together, if only Kageyama would be a bit more willing. I did like that Kageyama is obsessed with the setter position just because it is the coolest one he's seen and is all into the number of balls and fast action, while Hinata seems just a bit more lax on positions. Hes a good main and most of the characters are nice so far. Hinata and Koushi are thus far my favorites, and if Kageyama can improve the personality then he could be too. Will keep reading.

Akito

Y'know I'm still not sure how no one commented on how Bleach isn't on the cover of this week's Jump.

just realized this myself
Bleach is absent so I assume it's a given?

I know a place for Ichigo to appear if Bleach wasn't absent this time :p

survivor

Banned
Pretty relevant if they keep pushing it. Since Bakuman ended, Toriko's now like the 7th best-selling of the current Jump manga (maybe 6th if you don't count HxH).

Kuroko's selling like a monster now though, it might surpass Toriko volume sales soon. I wonder if either of them are actually going to be able to break into the upper echelons any time soon though.
It will be funny if Kuroko hits the upper echelons. fujoshi > shounen kids

Plus it has Zebra.

I gave it a chance and the only good thing it had was the unique premise. Outside of that it had stock dumb characters, ugly designs, and boring fights.

The highest order of praise for the genre, I think.
coughREALcough

I wish people stop with this novel shit. Kubo has not in any way confirmed novel Kenpachi. He actually didn't make that part canon. Kubo however said that he was amazed/happy that Narita had deduced Kenpachi was adjusting to his opponents.

Dude calm down some people like the fact he's broken as fuck and are trolling with it.

For as much as i said that kubo made it canon its more trolling since Kubo wouldn't be that unhinged to make that shit fly. On the other hand its so ridulous that i believe some wouldn't mind it being canon for the reactions (kinda like the Tobi = future Sasuke supporters).

And damn we are near the end of this thread

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Manga Discussion/News Thread lOT6l Drinking Bleach wearing a One Piece, not reading Naruto

Might as well work with it since it was mine in the first place. ;)
I like this. And yeah I knew someone else had come up with this as an idea for OT5 but it wasn't used.

Finally gunbo
-chan
you prove yourself useful.

scy

Since it was brought up, I went ahead and caught up with Baby Steps up to Chapter 107. It's nice to see the training arc showing itself. I kind of hope he continues just shitting on people and moving on up rather than struggling consistently.

I'm also still slightly disappointed at the lack of Natsu throughout the manga. I mean, she shows up regularly and all but she's not around often enough. I guess I still just want more out of the romance subplot here. Perhaps I should wonder more about the rival girl who I just flat out can't remember the name of due to how irrelevant she is.

I gave it a chance and the only good thing it had was the unique premise. Outside of that it had stock dumb characters, ugly designs, and boring fights.

How far did you get? The actual Bishokukai fights are pretty good. I think the strength of Toriko comes from the designs rather than the actual "flow" of the fights, though. It's one of my favorite reads for that kind of thing rather than for the "action" itself.

coughREALcough

To me, it's a different genre. Eyeshield 21 is with Prince of Tennis in the whole over-the-top shounen-y sports types.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eyeshield 21 is a completely realistic take on highschool football.

gunbo13

I like this. And yeah I knew someone else had come up with this as an idea for OT5 but it wasn't used.

Finally gunbo
-chan
you prove yourself useful.
Me. I also came up with the current one, Mr. Useful.

Manga Discussion/News Thread lOT6l In a One Piece sipping Bleach reading Naruto by the fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom