• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Piece has once again set the record for the largest ever manga first print run, with Shueisha shipping out 4.05 million copies of volume 67 this Friday. That's 50,000 more than the last volume.

With this volume, lifetime printing numbers for One Piece are now over 270 million.

Here's some more insane stats:

Thats alot, I wonder how many the older volumes are selling and if people truly just happen to start One Piece at volume 66 or so.

Thud

One Piece has once again set the record for the largest ever manga first print run, with Shueisha shipping out 4.05 million copies of volume 67 this Friday. That's 50,000 more than the last volume.

With this volume, lifetime printing numbers for One Piece are now over 270 million.

Fascinating. The sales of the latest volumes beats the previous ones. It's probably the popularity of the series that keep it selling at a fast pace. The mermaid arc is definitely not Oda's best piece of work in One Piece...

I think he deserves it though.

Kurita

I wonder if a manga will ever beat One Piece.
Hmm, I guess that's what people were wondering too when Dragon Ball was big.

Pandora Hearts 30

This manga is often pretty hard to follow in terms of plot, Im confused on how one even becomes an illegal contractor, like Break or B Rabbit, they die get sucked into the abyss then become chained to people? Why didnt this happen with Oz?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Pandora Hearts 30

This manga is often pretty hard to follow in terms of plot, Im confused on how one even becomes an illegal contractor, like Break or B Rabbit, they die get sucked into the abyss then become chained to people? Why didnt this happen with Oz?

Oz IS an illegal contractor. An illegal contract is a direct contract with a chain without a catalyst or medium acting as the mediary for the chain.

survivor

Banned
Thats alot, I wonder how many the older volumes are selling and if people truly just happen to start One Piece at volume 66 or so.

Older volumes sell a lot. Take 2011 for example

545,045 ONE PIECE 1
514,178 ONE PIECE 2
496,453 ONE PIECE 3
474,452 ONE PIECE 4
471,049 ONE PIECE 5
460,862 ONE PIECE 6
454,444 ONE PIECE 7
449,652 ONE PIECE 8
443,987 ONE PIECE 9
442,765 ONE PIECE 10
434,146 ONE PIECE 11
429,578 ONE PIECE 12
422,833 ONE PIECE 13
420,052 ONE PIECE 15
421,681 ONE PIECE 18

scy

Yeah, I've re-read pretty much all of his works at least twice. With his subtle way of portraying the stories, you can always discover something new. Guess I will re-read Rough some time soon.

Yup. Once I re-read like five of his manga in a row and I normally don't re-read anything. Once you start it's so hard to stop.

Debating which one to re-read next. Hm...

Just in that sports romantic mood, I guess.

survivor

Banned
P.S.

Kurohime is lame and that Bestialious manga was way too short. ManGAF has failed me.

I never said it was supposed to be long. Now it's time for you to embrace shota elf and read Ubel Blatt

I suppose there aren't any good vampire manga besides Hellsing :(

Vampire Knight
Dance in the Vampire Bund
In Bura
Crimezone
Blood Lad

This may or may not be a serious recommendation. There is only one way for you to find out.

Bossun

Sensei no Bulge

I don't understand why the manga is not working, the story, even though a bit classical, is kind of nice, the characters, Astro and Tiamat, are awesome and the fights are cool.

Japanese people, I don't understand you anymore!

Akito

Debating which one to re-read next. Hm...

Just in that sports romantic mood, I guess.
The one you've (re-)read the longest time ago.
Just curious, how you would rank his main works (Touch, Rough, H2, Katsu and Cross Game)?

survivor

Banned
I haven't read any of Adachi's works outside of Cross Game, but since you guys are talking about him I just wanted to say that chapter 10 of Cross Game was so powerful when I read it. So many raw emotions

Sensei no Bulge

I don't understand why the manga is not working, the story, even though a bit classical, is kind of nice, the characters, Astro and Tiamat, are awesome and the fights are cool.

Japanese people, I don't understand you anymore!

After they experience the masterpiece Nisekoi, WSJ readers can't go back to regular shounen like Sensei no Bulge

But seriously, I have no idea why it's tanking. I don't like it but I don't see how it's different from the rest of manga in WSJ so it surprises me to see it at the bottom

scy

The one you've (re-)read the longest time ago.
Just curious, how you would rank his main works (Touch, Rough, H2, Katsu and Cross Game)?

Oh man. I haven't really thought about that. Katsu was my first of his so that may hold a higher spot than the rest by virtue of that alone. Hrm ... dang, I don't really know, to be honest.

Akito

I haven't read any of Adachi's works outside of Cross Game, but since you guys are talking about him I just wanted to say that chapter 10 of Cross Game was so powerful when I read it. So many raw emotions
CG is probably his most refined work but all the others of his main series are not so far behind, it's crazy how consistent he is through the year. I definitely recommend to read through at least his main series.

Oh man. I haven't really thought about that. Katsu was my first of his so that may hold a higher spot than the rest by virtue of that alone. Hrm ... dang, I don't really know, to be honest.
Same for me but it'd probably come after Touch, CG and H2 on my ranking. I dig baseball more than boxing or swimming so that's that :p

flawfuls

Yeah it's hard to rank them because they are all mesh together in your memories after a while. My favourite is probably Touch for pretty much the same reason as you. Touch was one of the first manga I ever read and was largely responsible for getting me into manga in the first place.

upandaway

After they experience the masterpiece Nisekoi, WSJ readers can't go back to regular shounen like Sensei no Bulge

But seriously, I have no idea why it's tanking. I don't like it but I don't see how it's different from the rest of manga in WSJ so it surprises me to see it at the bottom
It's the carrot (ie bait). There's no hook at all and no subplot to keep track of.

Same as Oumagadoki where he blew the MC's backstory in the first chapter.

scy

Same for me but it'd probably come after Touch, CG and H2 on my ranking. I dig baseball more than boxing or swimming so that's that :p

Conversely, I like boxing a lot more than baseball, which is also why it was my first of his.

I'd say that I would put Rough at the bottom just because of swimming but it's a tough group of five anyway. And, because of this, I'll re-read Rough next!

Yeah it's hard to rank them because they are all mesh together in your memories after a while. My favourite is probably Touch for pretty much the same reason as you. Touch was one of the first manga I ever read and was largely responsible for getting me into manga in the first place.

Accounting for the bias, I'd say Touch is what I'd put at the top of my list for him as well. Maybe. Oh god, rankings so hard.

Adachi's works are why I always enjoy romance plots (/subplots), I think.

Lirlond

Whats everyones theories about the devil fruit showing up?

Do they just appear in areas of craziness at random? Something to do with the huge explosion of power??

Whats everyones theories about the devil fruit showing up?

Do they just appear in areas of craziness at random? Something to do with the huge explosion of power??

It seems the power goes to the nearest fruit after the user death.

Caesar seems to be aware of this since he said he would meet again with Smiley.

Wiseblade

It seems the power goes to the nearest fruit after the user death.

Caesar seems to be aware of this since he said he would meet again with Smiley.

Not just any fruit, since certain characters has referred to the idea that a certain power's fruit will always be the same. Refer to:

• Blackbeard recognising Thatch's devil fruit by sight.
  • Sanji mentioning a devil Fruit identification chart during Thriller BArc.
  • IIRC, there's at least one occasion there someone knows what power a devil fruit holds without eating it, which would be impossible if powers just inhabited the nearest fruit of any kind.

Proximity isn't confirmed at this point either, since it could have been just a coincidence that the fruit spawned nearby, but this is unlikely.

Not just any fruit, since certain characters has referred to the idea that a certain power's fruit will always be the same. Refer to:

• Blackbeard recognising Thatch's devil fruit by sight.
  • Sanji mentioning a devil Fruit identification chart during Thriller BArc.
  • IIRC, there's at least one occasion there someone knows what power a devil fruit holds without eating it, which would be impossible if powers just inhabited the nearest fruit of any kind.

Proximity isn't confirmed at this point either, since it could have been just a coincidence that the fruit spawned nearby, but this is unlikely.

I think Caesar knows what he is doing, because of this:

qAbxz.png

He is sure that he will make Smiley again.

Lain

I suppose there aren't any good vampire manga besides Hellsing :(

I think these are good, though they are different from something like Hellsing (well, Dance has its share of action):

Vampir
Black Rose Alice
Dance in the Vampire Bund

Wait, you read Dance in the Vampire Bund? Why man?

Dance is good man! There is action, big tits, and some interesting vampire political drama.

Speaking of vampires, Dance in the Vampire Bund is actually going to end next month.

Makes sense, especially given volume 12, which is the last I read. I'm just wondering which volume will be the last one? 15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom