• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bartender : the story and wanderings of a bartender, said to be the best bartender in the world and who can make you the "Glass of God" (which is basically a super-duper-awesome cocktail). Loads of cocktails and stories ensues. Do not read if you're thirsty/have a bottle next to you.
Au contraire, the best time to read bartender is when you have a fully stocked liquor shelf so you can reproduce drinks.

Articalys

Binbougami ga 1-13

Before the anime announcement, this was pretty far off my radar based only on the initial premise. After the first anime PV I decided it was worth it to look over the first two chapters and saw that it was a fair bit more complex than the summary alone would make it seem to be, to my satisfaction.

Anyway, in the wake of the pretty good first few weeks of the anime, I decided to read ahead a little further to see what kind of stuff will be coming up for adaptation.

ipKy8.jpg

Chapters 12 and 13 made that a good decision.

Skip Beat isn't finished yet ? I think I put it on hold around the time
Haruka (is that the MC's name ?) is finally acting in a series, and is so good at it she freaks out other actors

scy

Skip Beat isn't finished yet ? I think I put it on hold around the time
Haruka (is that the MC's name ?) is finally acting in a series, and is so good at it she freaks out other actors

Kyoko. And
which series? She's done two dramas (Dark Moon - Mio, Box R - Natsu) so far. I'm willing to bet her Setsuka role may end up in that drama too just because. Current arc is an on-and-off arc on Ren's past

If nothing else, some progress on the pairing may have finally happened.
lololol

Beelzebub

As i always thought Hilda>>>>Aoi.

Toriko

It seems like the 4 of them obtained food honor. That meteor shower attack was great.

You should read Detroit Metal City.

DTL, if you want more sports manga, just read Eyeshield 21. Funny and the characters are not bad looking.

The only good thing about Eyeshield is Hiruma.

gunbo13

I'm still taking suggestions for what Upandaway and I will read next (if he still wants me to decide) My only criteria are

Between 100 and 200 chapters
Moderately episodic
Nothing too creepy or smutty

Oh, and it has to be something neither of us have read, natch.
Ouran Host Club

Akito

I decided to re-read Katsu! today. dat Adachi. Just something about his stuff.
Yeah, I've re-read pretty much all of his works at least twice. With his subtle way of portraying the stories, you can always discover something new. Guess I will re-read Rough some time soon.

Pimpwerx

Claymore raws are out, as well as early spoilers.

Basically, Raki pulls Claire from the Pryscilla blob. We finally see what a claymore's body looks like, it's split right down the middle. At birth they're cut open and yoma organs are transplanted. That it...nothing else. I was expecting more this chapter, but I guess we'll have to wait for next month for that. PEACE.

Akito

Claymore raws are out, as well as early spoilers.

Basically, Raki pulls Claire from the Pryscilla blob. We finally see what a claymore's body looks like, it's split right down the middle. At birth they're cut open and yoma organs are transplanted. That it...nothing else. I was expecting more this chapter, but I guess we'll have to wait for next month for that. PEACE.
Fuck yeah, Clare finally back from MIA. It's pretty weird we never got a glimpse at the freakishly long cut on the front side of the claymore's bodies though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bartender : the story and wanderings of a bartender, said to be the best bartender in the world and who can make you the "Glass of God" (which is basically a super-duper-awesome cocktail). Loads of cocktails and stories ensues. Do not read if you're thirsty/have a bottle next to you.
Gokusen : GTO with a female teacher who's a yakuza daughter. Aimed at older femal audiences, which explains the particular drawings.
Kongou Banchou : A shonen with ridiculously overpowered high school studens who beat the crap out of each other (Bancho = the guardian of the school). Further arcs have a conspiracy in it. It's plain awesome.
Akumetsu (rape-free, I guarantee it) : A high-school student who seemingly have the power to duplicate himself goes by the name of "Akumetsu" and aims to eliminate all of Japan's troubles and corruption, by killing those responsible in the most flashy and spectacular way.

I should check out Bartender, seems interesting.

I thought Akumetsu to be pretty weak, although the brutality and social commentary are interesting. It seems like the Author's dream himself, actually, to be able to hack and slash all those dirty politicians with super powers, hahaha. It was incredibly over the top and bombastic.

Better than Wolf Guy, though.

I thought Akumetsu to be pretty weak, although the brutality and social commentary are interesting. It seems like the Author's dream himself, actually, to be able to hack and slash all those dirty politicians with super powers, hahaha. It was incredibly over the top and bombastic.

Sometimes there are walls of text about how the Diet runs, the ins and outs of Japan's economy too. It's still interesting though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Akumetsu is awful. Like Wolf Guy awful, for a reason.

Solune

Beelzebub

As i always thought Hilda>>>>Aoi.

Toriko

It seems like the 4 of them obtained food honor. That meteor shower attack was great.

The only good thing about Eyeshield is Hiruma.
Aoi = Hilda
And Eyeshield is great until what I will refer to as the "epilogue".
Bartender is great. Its no Kami No Shizuku, but what can you do?

I prefer Bartender simply because of the art style. I've been meaning to check out the jdramas because of Miri but he's still disappeared and hasn't returned =(

Articalys

One Piece has once again set the record for the largest ever manga first print run, with Shueisha shipping out 4.05 million copies of volume 67 this Friday. That's 50,000 more than the last volume.

With this volume, lifetime printing numbers for One Piece are now over 270 million.

Here's some more insane stats:
One Piece has been setting records in first printings since volume 56, which held the manga record in December of 2009 for 2.85 million copies. Volume 57 was the first volume to hold the record for all books in Japan, since its 3-million-copy first printing topped Harry Potter and Order of the Phoenix's 2.9 million. Since then, every volume, except volume 62 (published two months after the March 11 Great Eastern Japan Earthquake disaster), 65, and 66, has set a new record in first printing.

Solune

These are some god damn pretty covers. Now I wanna read this manga
Zmwbn.jpg
SmlDg.jpg

Bought a whole bunch of manga today, this being one of them. Yen Press compiled it into an Omnibus and the front and back are the covers of both volumes (thankfully). Will give impressions later.

Also bought Captain Commando, Sengoku Basara, Saturn Apartments 1-4 and Megaman Gigamix 1-3. Today is a good day.

survivor

Banned
Bought a whole bunch of manga today, this being one of them. Yen Press compiled it into an Omnibus and the front and back are the covers of both volumes (thankfully). Will give impressions later.

Also bought Captain Commando, Sengoku Basara, Saturn Apartments 1-4 and Megaman Gigamix 1-3. Today is a good day.

Awesome, I got the Yen Press edition last week. Was a bit worried about the second cover missing but it was cool seeing it it on the back.

Saturn Apartment is also a good flawfuls approved manga. Really good episodic stories.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Woah, beautiful cover art. What's that manga all about?

survivor

Banned
Woah, beautiful cover art. What's that manga all about?

From what I read so far, the God of Sun, Apollo has imprisoned a prince called Ganymede in his garden and is dicking around with him. Hades is also supposed to show up at some point in the manga, probably fucking around with Ganymede as well. It has cool bishounen art with some nice gods trickery and deception.

Wiseblade

Gokusen : GTO with a female teacher who's a yakuza daughter. Aimed at older femal audiences, which explains the particular drawings.
Kongou Banchou : A shonen with ridiculously overpowered high school studens who beat the crap out of each other (Bancho = the guardian of the school). Further arcs have a conspiracy in it. It's plain awesome.
Akumetsu (rape-free, I guarantee it) : A high-school student who seemingly have the power to duplicate himself goes by the name of "Akumetsu" and aims to eliminate all of Japan's troubles and corruption, by killing those responsible in the most flashy and spectacular way.

Bartender sounds decent.

Ouran Host Club

This was what I was originally going to suggest, but I read like read like 40 chapters of it years ago. Pretty sure Upandaway has read it completely too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
From what I read so far, the God of Sun, Apollo has imprisoned a prince called Ganymede in his garden and is dicking around with him. Hades is also supposed to show up at some point in the manga, probably fucking around with Ganymede as well. It has cool bishounen art with some nice gods trickery and deception.

Bishounen? So it's Shoujo?

Hmmmmm.

upandaway

Bartender sounds decent.

This was what I was originally going to suggest, but I read like read like 40 chapters of it years ago. Pretty sure Upandaway has read it completely too.
Both the anime and manga as they came out. I stopped with the manga around 2006-2007. Also read Akumetsu.

Kongou Banchou is pretty high up my wishlist, seems fun. You could pick a few contenders and we'll both read the first chapter of all of them next weekend.

Glancing over my wishlist again, is Sun-ken Rock silly enough? I skipped all your posts but I remember you guys talking about it.

survivor

Banned
Hotarubi no Mori e vol 1 End

V3Lnq.jpg

A collection of 4 short stories, one for each season, by Yuki Midorikawa, the author of Natsume. The stories really feel like rejected Natsume plots without all the youkai and bromance

Overhearing a Flower Song: Shima meets Fujimura, a troubled boy who stopped playing guitar due to his injured hand. Shima tries to get closer to him by getting him to teach her the guitar and love develops between them. Pretty standard stuff, but it was handled very effectively and nicely.

Into the Forest of Fireflies' Light: The main story of the manga as it was named after it, and it's the only story to get an anime adaptation. Honestly, I preferred the anime version by Brain's Base much better. The forest was more alive and the music really made the ending work much better. Reading this did remind me that watching anime is so insufficient. It took me less than 10 minutes to read the chapter while it took 40 minutes to watch it's anime version.

The Fallling of Autumn Leaves: A bit too dramatic love story but I'm kinda of a sucker for the way it played out. Tsubaki, an energetic girl, is overprotective of her childhood friend, Kaede, to the point that she is playing the role of a ninja following him everywhere to protect him. Really cool premise with a nice happy ending.

Deepening the Scar: My second favourite story of this collection, so bittersweet, especially the lead up to the ending. Ritsu's dilemma about her feelings for her brother were very interesting and it was sad seeing her try to live in the past so she wouldn't lose her brother. This story really gave me a lot of 5 Centimeters Per Second vibes with Natsume's style of storytelling. It was brilliant.

Bishounen? So it's Shoujo?

Hmmmmm.
Even though it's supposed to be shoujo/josei, I don't think romance plays a big role, at least from what I read and from the tone of the manga.

Dynedom

KNIM

Worst couple ever

Reborn

Man, not a lot happening. Just talk.

Beelzebub

Yeah, that twist was ruined from the title of the chapter alone but I think most of us expected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom