• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Bleach
Wow, someone died. ... Who the fuck is he?
*sighs* This is going to be a rescue arc isn't it?

Bleach: Every arc is a rescue arc.

at least from what I remember it probably has to do with Ichigo having no direct relation to the main conflict outside of "I fight for my friends" shenanigans.

But what do I know? I don't even read it anymore.

upandaway

Big Order (caught up)

It's awesome that the MC is decisive and all, but he should really think better about how he's using his extremely broken ability

Bleach 485
tumblr_m18ngsJwAY1qhyte9o1_r1_500.gif

It was actually pretty shocking to receive confirmation that a character, member of soul society, belonging to the prestigious 13 court squad in Old man Yama's squad, who managed to avoid a causality in his division for the past 1000 years, whom said that there was no place safer than right in front of him, has died. The only other Soul Society member protagonist that had a death stated in panel was _______, which actually made it pretty cool and epic. Sure it was Sasakibe who really only had a featured role in the above OP in the anime as well as a speaking role in Illustrated Guide to Soul Reapers and Bleach: Fade to Black, but the fact the he died hit home. Im now scared that Kubo is really going to strike hard and fast with actual character deaths this time around and maybe not even people in Karakura Town are safe (please dont allow Keigo Asano to meet death, he came close on two occasions before, three times...)

Nice mention of Ichida. Though, ultimately, at the end of the day I have to ask, just where in Hueco Mundo is Grimmjow?! Nel can appear but not the best Arrancar, Grimmjow? Sure hes not tied up in bondage like Halibel, but still, I wanted to see this cool character return, for an Ichigo v Grimmjow pt 4.

Kusagari

I really don't get why people like this Bleach villain. Dude's even dumber than Aizen. Fighting hasn't even started yet and he's killing subordinates for no reason. And the whole "fighting for peace" while being a raging psychopath schtick is old.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I really don't get why people like this Bleach villain. Dude's even dumber than Aizen. Fighting hasn't even started yet and he's killing subordinates for no reason. And the whole "fighting for peace" while being a raging psychopath schtick is old.

That's why I thought that quote was so spot on. It's nonsensical bullshit and every fucking Kubo villain sells out his subordinates as soon as possible, or just maims/kills them for completely arbitrary, unfathomable conduct violations.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Why? Because he doesn't fuck around. There's nothing better than someone who says he's going to do something and takes no time to actually do it.

Why did he kill his subordinates? You say it like you're attached to them or something. He doesn't give a fuck about them. Is it surprising? He especially killed that Byakuya-like-braids-dude because he got ahead of himself and told Yamamoto that the war would happen in 5 days when he didn't know that. Don't act like you know shit. Or you'll die.

"If you're not going to sit down I guess you don't need your legs"

*proceeds to kill him anyway*

SWAG

Watch how that little shrimp Toshiro acting all cool and edgy by saving the queen.

You make it seem like it'd be bad. He has barely had any time to shine since, really a long time, I think its definitely time for him to finally get some moment of glory so we can forget his slashing of Aizen, I mean, Momo once and for all. Us fans deserve it.

Why? Because he doesn't fuck around. There's nothing better than someone who says he's going to do something and takes no time to actually do it.

Why did he kill his subordinates? You say it like you're attached to them or something. He doesn't give a fuck about them. Is it surprising? He especially killed that Byakuya-like-braids-dude because he got ahead of himself and told Yamamoto that the war would happen in 5 days when he didn't know that. Don't act like you know shit. Or you'll die.

SWAG

Pretty much. The bold part was both chilling and awesome.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

SWAG
YOU HAVE FAILED ME FOR THE LAST TIME BRAIDS GUY

Star%20Wars%20Darth%20Vader%20(3).jpg

SWAG
but we've seen it so many times before man. every villain talks a big talk and gets fucked in the end, why not giving him a different personality, being nonchalant about killing isn't the only way to make a character badass.

also, why are you posting one piece anime impressions in the manga thread, is the pacing way off compared to the manga?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I didn't realize it was good business to murder all of your subordinates for no apparent reason.
What's the big deal? He followed their deaths with the instant admittance that they are disposable. One of his other subordinates even said in the very chapter "are you fine with that? Aren't arrancars precious?" And he follows up with the fact that he can get Arrancars any time he freaking wants. They are disposable, and as such, when they start to get out of place, he can dispose of them. Why keep someone like Ivan around when there's the chance that he could get caught by SS and they can gather intel through him? Never trust anyone but yourself, that's what Aizen said, and it's right.

Here's his reason: He had no more use for them. It's really not as complicated as you're making it.

Edit: Oh, so everyone is salty because it's been done before? Bad guys are evil. WHOA. WHO FUCKING KNEW?

One Piece

Fucking awesome, love the blend of comedy and badassery that makes OP so special. ould have preferred a brain switch for the character swap but it's not a big deal, looking forward to the Sanji hijinks.

Law has always been awesome but these chapters are really making him out to be one of the coolest OP characters, with an interesting ability to boot. Also, holy shit at him chopping upo Tashigi and her sword, I know she's still alive but that was cool none the less.

I really need to read up on Brook a bit more as I've forgotten a bit about his combat abilities and how they tie in to the cold.

Naruto

Holy shit at Dr. Snakes! Without that this chapter would have been so shit, but it totally elevated it into a stupidly funny chapter. Good god these translations are shit.

The fights are seriously boring as shit now, susanoo was so amazingly predictable I couldn't feign a smile when they both used it even though it was written to impress.

I did like the revelation of the snake/dragon sage, but it seems like they've fucked that up in terms of power ability too. How did Kabuto learn it so easily? Jiraiya never perfected it and Naruto only did because of his cloning ability. Unless I'm missing something that was mentioned (maybe due to crappy translation) I fail to see how he could have mastered it in such a short time.

It does provide a good power level test for Sasuke/Itachi though, if they can't beat Kabuto they shouldn't stand a chance in hell against Naruto who should be much more powerful. Then again with Kishi and his fucked up power levels it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't make a difference one way or another.

Bleach

So the new villain is a smug fuck with nonsensical plans who kills his own subordinates for no reason and kidnaps semi-important female characters and locks them in his personal rape dungeon. Where have I seen this before?

Oh wait, I know, EVERY SINGLE FUCKING STORY ARC.

Fuck you Kubo, you goddamn hack.

:lol

So true, Kubo hasn't had any interesting new ideas for years.

I felt as though the chapter was trying to be a bit comedic and foreshadowing but felt as though the comedic aspects fell very flat. Ishida still pretending not to be Ichigo's friend? Orihime acting all cutesy and laughing at stupid shit that isn't the slightest bit funny? The stupid ring tone joke?

It's all so awfully unfunny.

Why did Nell use "super speed" and charge into Ichigo when she was going to hit him anyway?

I'm guessing it will be explained next chapter but the idea of killing off Arrancars for no reason is stupid, unless he can literally create as many as he wants with no consequence or cost (which I doubt) there's no reason for him to be killing off powerful fighters for literally no reason at all. (also way to make arrancars now complete cannon fodder)

Also way to kill off a character no one gave a single shit about Kubo, really going out on a limb there aren't we?

Kusagari

Killing mooks for no reason does not make you badass. This guy is horribly cliche so far which is disappointing to me, because I actually did think he seemed cool when we first saw him.

What's the big deal? He followed their deaths with the instant admittance that they are disposable. One of his other subordinates even said in the very chapter "are you fine with that? Aren't arrancars precious?" And he follows up with the fact that he can get Arrancars any time he freaking wants. They are disposable, and as such, when they start to get out of place, he can dispose of them. Why keep someone like Ivan around when there's the chance that he could get caught by SS and they can gather intel through him? Never trust anyone but yourself, that's what Aizen said, and it's right.

Here's his reason: He had no more use for them. It's really not as complicated as you're making it.

Edit: Oh, so everyone is salty because it's been done before? Bad guys are evil. WHOA. WHO FUCKING KNEW?

it's more like kubo's bad guys are clones of each other.

YOU HAVE FAILED ME FOR THE LAST TIME BRAIDS GUY

http://collider.com/wp-content/image-base/Movies/S/Star_Wars/Star%20Wars%20Darth%20Vader%20(3).jpg[img][/QUOTE]

This actually makes more sense from a motivation perspective... as it has one.

Big bad here didn't actually have this motivation as he also killed the other guy who literally did nothing wrong and could have spread the word about big bad being a ruthless leader. As it is there's no one to warn the arrancar (as the other guys probably wouldn't bother) and killing 2 people doesn't make that "ruthless" positioning any stronger.

I like the new guy cuz he just does not give a fuck (though his logic in actually killing them right now is debatable)

dude said:
So the new villain is a smug fuck with nonsensical plans who kills his own subordinates for no reason and kidnaps semi-important female characters and locks them in his personal rape dungeon. Where have I seen this before?

Oh wait, I know, EVERY SINGLE FUCKING STORY ARC.

Fuck you Kubo, you goddamn hack.

LOLOLOLOL

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Why are you guys acting like the big bad is supposed to care? He took them up, is using them, and they are now disposable. They are to him what a piece of trash is after its done. Is this concept so hard to understand or something? He no longer needs him, they are easily replaceable, and he exerts close to no effort to dispose of them. So he does.
it's more like kubo's bad guys are clones of each other.
This guy is nothing like Aizen though.

One Piece
tumblr_m18j9iodAB1r9j056o1_400.png

Oda has once again resorted to making some pretty terrible decisions. The only highlight of the chapter was Zoro saving Luffy via the water was pretty cool as well as the implied defeat of the sharks on account of Zoro was stunning. However, the chapter would have been entertaining and enjoyable if he had showed it, rather than telling us the bounty of some worthless weak pirate random that no one even cares about. I would have rather enjoyed seeing the sword slashes and Zoro's shouting cool attack names instead of shock and surprise from fodder in fear of Luffy's bounty, truth be told.

The chapter was also distressing as it takes ones favorite character and implies they are evil. Law is supposed to be good, he save Luffy, why in the world is he attacking with malicious intent. I just dont understand why he is trying to ruin such a cool characters image.

Overall it was just rather weak this week only being pleasing on account of Zoro and Luffy, and definitely wordy and boring. I hope the arc can actually take off if he avoids making the same off panel and off base decisions.

Why are you guys acting like the big bad is supposed to care? He took them up, is using them, and they are now disposable. They are to him what a piece of trash is after its done. Is this concept so hard to understand or something? He no longer needs him, they are easily replaceable, and he exerts close to no effort to dispose of them. So he does.

This guy is nothing like Aizen though.

yet

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bleach

So if i understand that right, the new bad guy is building an army by making Arrancar/Quincies hybrid babies with an unconscious Harribel?

Big One

Banned
Soul Society - Rukia is captured, Ichigo and crew goes to save her
Arrancar - Orihime is captured, Ichigo and crew goes to save her
This arc - Harribel is captured, Ichigo and crew goes to save her

This sounds like you're reading straight from the Kubo page of bad guy writing.

You don't think either of those guys could have been useful during a war? They didn't seem like hollow fodder, they're fucking arrancar, at the very least they would have given lower level shinigami a run for their money and so would have been useful.

Calling them useless does not make them useless, it's just bullshit justification.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

its harribel? then why does ichigo even give a shit?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This is dumb lol
Isn't it though.

Oh, and btw, @mysticwhip: I'm only discussing OP anime because I am rewatching it and discussing it in bits where it fits in. I originally read the manga and watched the anime alongside eachother. I got my sister to get into OP since I enjoyed it lots, so I'm rewatching it with her.

One Piece

Oda has once again resorted to making some pretty terrible decisions. The only highlight of the chapter was Zoro saving Luffy via the water was pretty cool as well as the implied defeat of the sharks on account of Zoro was stunning. However, the chapter would have been entertaining and enjoyable if he had showed it, rather than telling us the bounty of some worthless weak pirate random that no one even cares about. I would have rather enjoyed seeing the sword slashes and Zoro's shouting cool attack names instead of shock and surprise from fodder in fear of Luffy's bounty, truth be told.

The chapter was also distressing as it takes ones favorite character and implies they are evil. Law is supposed to be good, he save Luffy, why in the world is he attacking with malicious intent. I just dont understand why he is trying to ruin such a cool characters image.

Overall it was just rather weak this week only being pleasing on account of Zoro and Luffy, and definitely wordy and boring. I hope the arc can actually take off if he avoids making the same off panel and off base decisions.

You... You are amazing.

I thought this was supposed to be a quincy orientated arc, shouldnt it be Uryu is captured, Ichigo and other rescue?

MCD

And here I thought everyone would love to see PEOPLE DYING IN BLEACH.

You guys love that shounen magic.

One Piece

Pretty much. Brown beard being a centaur is stupid beyond belief. But one piece is fucking dumb so it fits perfectly.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This sounds like you're reading straight from the Kubo page of bad guy writing.

You don't think either of those guys could have been useful during a war? They didn't seem like hollow fodder, they're fucking arrancar, at the very least they would have given lower level shinigami a run for their money and so would have been useful.

Calling them useless does not make them useless, it's just bullshit justification.
What are you talking about? "Usefulness" is defined by those that use said "things" that are deemed useful or not. The leader (the one who is using them) deemed them useless, and so they are.

Maybe they would have been useful in the war. But obviously they aren't. Obviously, this new villain has people that can give Shinigami a run for their money that he values more (at least for now) as evident by the earlier pages in the chapter. Ivan and the other dude had a job. They did it, now they are no longer useful.
The arcs have repetitive themes. What does this have to do with the villains and their similarities?

We will see what is to come from this guys motives in the future, but what you said doesn't really have anything to do with what I said.

scy

One Piece

Sticking to your status as Mangaf's Final Boss. I'm so proud.

^_^

Herr durr, let´s travel to an island encounter some bad guy, prevail, and help the people there, hurr durr.
Let´s stop at this island, oh shit look, the villains waited for the Straw Hats´s arrival to make their move. Hurr durr. Rinse, repeat.

I like your new avatar Stat.
Kubo art™.

methane47

Naruto 579
tumblr_m18zgkdXlM1r95qxxo1_500.png

I thought the Uchiha's versus Kabuto would have been a simple skirmish that ended quickly, however I was immediately surprised at how deep and intense it is turning out. Unleashing both Susanno's side by side and working in excellent unison, through both mind, body, and kekkaigenkai, I was stunned by the gripping nature of the chapter. Sasuke's research on snakes and putting it to use, impressing Itachi to the extent that he gained a new nickname that has generated excellent moments in the fandom, was pretty endearing, thereby signifying proof of their bond that transcends life and death, which was simply pleasing. Kabuto, combating this, made it epic by unleashing his Sage Mode Dragon form had me amazed. Who would have thought Kishimoto would introduce another user of this jutsu in the manga and with snakes and dragons throughout? I knew Kabuto had some trick left but not like that. Excellent.

Lastly, Suigetsu getting name dropped was cool, as well as Karin being of Uzumaki descent, showing that Sasuke seemed fated to be intertwined with the Uzumaki legacy, was rather compelling. Definitely the plot gets deeper as the action gets intenser, and Im enjoying it greatly.

wow lol

What are you talking about? "Usefulness" is defined by those that use said "things" that are deemed useful or not. The leader (the one who is using them) deemed them useless, and so they are.

Maybe they would have been useful in the war. But obviously they aren't. Obviously, this new villain has people that can give Shinigami a run for their money that he values more (at least for now) as evident by the earlier pages in the chapter. Ivan and the other dude had a job. They did it, now they are no longer useful.

Wait a second.

Because this guy says he's useless, he therefore is useless?

If your boss called you useless would you agree with him?

If he can't see the use in an arrancar:

1) He's a massive dumbass who just likes to kill before thinking things through.
2) arrancar have, as expected in a badly written battle manga, been downgraded in power.

Naruto
This chapter was okay but was painful to read thanks to the translation .

Bleach
Don't really care about this new bad guy yet he will have to do some Aizen trolling before he ready .
Nice to see Nel and sure most people don't really care about that death god that die .

One Piece
SH changing bodies going to be fun to see what happens .
Law DF looks hax but it seem with Haki you would be able to do something vs it .
Can't wait to see where we go from here .

Big One

Banned
Herr durr, let´s travel to an island encounter some bad guy, prevail, and help the people there, hurr durr.
Let´s stop at this island, oh shit look, the villains waited for the Straw Hats´s arrival to make their move. Hurr durr. Rinse, repeat.
Wat. So the entire structure of the manga is now repetitive theme?

The arcs have repetitive themes. What does this have to do with the villains and their similarities?
You'd think after making the mistake twice, villains in Bleach would figure out that kidnapping DOESN'T WORK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom