• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

They were Ichigo's friends. And? They are still around, as Ichigo's friends. They were then, and they are now. Ichigo has always done shit on his own and those he met along the way were just that. He hung with those guys in chapter 1 and he hangs with them in chapter 485.

Oh, and they were also part of the FB arc...but FB was such shit that I often forget its events.

It was very good, shame the end was poor.

Big One

Banned
They were Ichigo's friends. And? They are still around, as Ichigo's friends. They were then, and they are now. Ichigo has always done shit on his own and those he met along the way were just that. He hung with those guys in chapter 1 and he hangs with them in chapter 485.
Yeah but they got their own backstories, got their own character development, and were all involved with Ichigo's daily life. We don't see that anymore. Having Soul Society being the core characters of the manga is the equivalent of if after Goku defeated the Red Ribbon Army, all the characters he fought join up with him instead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Both of them were core characters in the very first arc, where it was just: Ichigo, Ichigo's lesbian friend, Orihime, Chad, Ishida, and Rukia. Now it's just Ichigo and a bunch of random characters no one gives a shit about.

Unless I'm pulling an Andy Pettitte and misremembering, I don't think she's a lesbian. I got the impression she was into Ichigo, assuming you're talking about Tatsuki and not that *actual* lesbian whose only role is to repeatedly sexually assault Whymesad

Well you guys laugh but what's the point in writing 100s of characters if you're not gonna use them? Especially in such a small world as in Bleach.

Well you guys laugh but what's the point in writing 100s of characters if you're not gonna use them? Especially in such a small world as in Bleach.

He does use them, people had thought the Visoreds were gone and all of a sudden they appear in this arc as integrated back into Soul Society.

One Piece actually doesnt use characters, whatever happened to Vivi whos been gone for years and was in the running for next straw hat? Or Dragon even?

Big One

Banned
Because you have a story to tell.

You can't just get distracted to focus on character #46
"You have a story to tell, so you can't develop the character." right...

One Piece actually doesnt use characters, whatever happened to Vivi whos been gone for years and was in the running for next straw hat? Or Dragon even?
Huh? We see Vivi all the time in the series. Also her story and journey had closure.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah but they got their own backstories, got their own character development, and were all involved with Ichigo's daily life. We don't see that anymore. Having Soul Society being the core characters of the manga is the equivalent of if after Goku defeated the Red Ribbon Army, all the characters he fought join up with him instead.
Do you know why we don't see that anymore? Because Ichigo doesn't experience "daily life" anymore. He actually is involved in a world that is far bigger than Karakura Town. As such, friends that can't keep up or aren't involved get left behind. That's how shit rolls.

When there is daily life, he does hang out with those characters. I'm sure that during the 17 months, he spent the majority of his time with those guys. Hell, in the beginning of the Fullbringer arc, all of it was interactions between these characters. Most people considered that boring though...

I actually like that Kubo doesn't make characters that aren't supposed to be able to keep up with the nature of the world somehow able to compete. Did you see what happened when Chad fought an actual Espada? When he fought Shunsui? It's just not his place. He is a human, afterall. They get in where they fit in.
It was very good, shame the end was poor.
Eh, the middle part was really good. Beginning was alright/fresh but very slow. The end was awful...so yeah.
THe only guy that wasn't fodder fight wise from the start was Ishida.
Yeah. Basically. That's because he is a Quincy. As such, he can compete in this world, and I'm sure we'll see that in this arc, and we saw it in Soul Society even. Of course, Kubo dropped the ball on Ishida with previous arcs, but it's possible that he'll make up for it with Ishida's actions here.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He does use them, people had thought the Visoreds were gone and all of a sudden they appear in this arc as integrated back into Soul Society.

I see you're back into pretending to be into yaoi

gunbo13

Yamamoto definitely choked out Sasakibe for failure BTW.

"He died in battle but what are those ligature marks from..."
"Sorry, funeral over."
R7gdUs.jpg

Kusagari

lol do you even read One Piece? We saw Vivi after the timeskip.

WTF are you talking about we saw Dragon just before the time skip.
Vivi no longer has any part to play we will see her on cover or maybe when SH do something big but her part of the manga is done .
We might also her her at the upcoming meeting for the kings .

Big One

Banned
Do you know why we don't see that anymore? Because Ichigo doesn't experience "daily life" anymore. He actually is involved in a world that is far bigger than Karakura Town. As such, friends that can't keep up or aren't involved get left behind. That's how shit rolls.

When there is daily life, he does hang out with those characters. I'm sure that during the 17 months, he spent the majority of his time with those guys. Hell, in the beginning of the Fullbringer arc, all of it was interactions between these characters. Most people considered that boring though...
When Fullbringer arc focused on Ichigo's friends, it was GOOD. So much that I was finally enthusiastic for Bleach. Even you thought Bleach was good by that point.

Once Soul Society members came, however, the entire arc went to complete shit. The story became a mess, and it didn't receive any closure.

Point is, when the story focuses on a small set of characters - characters that have gotten real character development - Bleach is overall a better manga than it would be if it focused on Soul Society shit. I could care less if Ikkaku has a new set of superpowers. What I want to know more about is how the core characters interract with each other.

I have my criticisms about Orihime being emo, but when she and Matsumoto went tittae to tittae, that was GOOD CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. That's what I want more of, not these stupid ass fights with stupid ass characters that look like rejected characters from Narutu.

I actually like that Kubo doesn't make characters that aren't supposed to be able to keep up with the nature of the world somehow able to compete. Did you see what happened when Chad fought an actual Espada? When he fought Shunsui? It's just not his place. He is a human, afterall. They get in where they fit in.
This is a problem too. There's no reason why Urahara is (apparently) so powerful, yet Orihime and Chad can't be. There's no reason for the plot to not make them able to fight Arrancars or whatever the fuck Ichiku is fighting.

lucifer and biscuit hammer
jesus christ the main character is such a pussy ass motherfucking bitch, god damn i dislike him,

and the art is sooooo bad.

survivor

Banned
I'm absolutely aware of that but during Aizen's visit to Karakura they were there too for no actual reason. I just expected them to play a role after that inclusion.

They were there to create sense of urgency and show how much of a dick Aizen was.

Plus we relate better to characters we know instead of random nobodies.

Diablos54

It's comments like this that make me sure that you're the Aizen of Manga-GAF.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
When Fullbringer arc focused on Ichigo's friends, it was GOOD. So much that I was finally enthusiastic for Bleach. Even you thought Bleach was good by that point.

Once Soul Society members came, however, the entire arc went to complete shit. The story became a mess, and it didn't receive any closure.

Point is, when the story focuses on a small set of characters - characters that have gotten real character development - Bleach is overall a better manga than it would be if it focused on Soul Society shit. I could care less if Ikkaku has a new set of superpowers. What I want to know more about is how the core characters interract with each other.

I have my criticisms about Orihime being emo, but when she and Matsumoto went tittae to tittae, that was GOOD CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. That's what I want more of, not these stupid ass fights with stupid ass characters that look like rejected characters from Narutu.
So basically, you want Bleach to be a slice of life and not an action shounen?

I kid.

I see what you're saying, and I suppose it comes down to preference. I found that the arc went to shit when Soul Society became involved, yes. However, it's not because I hate those characters or anything (hell, I love those characters, all the ones that showed up save for Ice Princess), it's because it interrupted the natural flow of things. That's why it was poor execution, because of the timing, not because of who showed up.

The Soul Society characters have had character development, though. Byakuya had character development during the fullbring arc by itself. Renji and Ikkaku have showed change (don't get me wrong, I am not equating character development to character change) that is positive to their characters' growth. It was interrupting, but whatever, I write off the ending of FB as just shit anyway.
This is a problem too. There's no reason why Urahara is (apparently) so powerful, yet Orihime and Chad can't be. There's no reason for the plot to not make them able to fight Arrancars or whatever the fuck Ichiku is fighting.
There IS a reason why Urahara is so powerful (in comparison to Chad/Inoue). He's been a Shinigami for a long time. An ex-Shinigami for 100+ years, and he is a scientist that has worked on many things involving the larger world around him.

Orihime and Chad are humans (<- important) that have been around for 18 years. And have only discovered their powers and have been using them for a couple of years. It just makes sense.

Is that you asking for plot-no-jutsu to suddenly make characters who aren't strong randomly strong:?

They were there to create sense of urgency and show how much of a dick Aizen was.

Plus we relate better to characters we know instead of random nobodies.

If that's what Kubo was going for, he pretty much failed. Rangiku was enough to show that shit was going down IMO.

I'm not a fan of making such a big deal of minor characters if they have no actual bearing on the story. Like Tatsuki being able to see Hollows. Why? Just because.

Angry Grimace

If that's what Kubo was going for, he pretty much failed. Rangiku was enough to show that shit was going down IMO.

I'm not a fan of making such a big deal of minor characters if they have no actual bearing on the story. Like Tatsuki being able to see Hollows. Why? Just because.

I just assumed that was so that he would have a viewpoint character for that arc where Aizen was wandering around Karakura

Ishida does not keep up just like Chad , they fight at the start of the arc then get beat for the SS characters to take over .
If Kubo wanted them to keep up he could have .
Inoue has the most broken power in bleach maybe because it's not for fighting that you might not care but she is human .

Truth is we are into final arc of bleach so it really don't matter any more.

lucifr and biscuit hammer
yea im done.

Vagabond
x7H4Pm.jpg

VYjsqm.jpg

beautiful color spread and pages. I feel like the contents of the chapter have been explored already even though they might not have, I guess I;m just tired of Takezo's confusion, Im glad he finally seems to have some resolve now.

Speaking of FB arc in bleach.

wtf was that all about anyways? Like what was their motivation? I know Ginjo was mad about SS might be spying on them or something... but is that it?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ishida does not keep up just like Chad they fight at the start of the arc then get beat for the SS characters to take over .
If Kubo wanted them to keep up he could have .
Inoue has the most broken power in bleach maybe because it's not for fighting that you might not care but she is human .

Truth is we are into final arc of bleach so it really don't matter any more.
I already admitted that Kubo has dropped the ball on Ishida. However, Ishida was prominent in the SS arc, he took on a captain...something Chad and Inoue couldn't.

He could "make them" keep up but I'm simply discussing why I don't see why it's a problem that he wouldn't.

Inoue has a broken power. But how far would it get her? She can heal people. Okay. She can only be in one place at a time. Her shield can be broken by overwhelming force, this much is true. That all said, if she were to fight someone such as Grimjow right now, how far would her healing get her before she died? Just because she has a broken power doesn't make her powerful or able to keep up with the strength of the fighters in the universe. Also, let's not forget that her powers must have some kind of limit (that may be able to be improved with training) as she could not reverse the hole that Ulquiorra put through Ichigo.

And like I said, I have little hope for Chad, but I believe we'll see lots of Ishida in this arc.

Ninjimbo

I got mixed feelings about this being Bleach's final arc. On the one hand, I'm glad the story is coming to a close because it hasn't been good for a long time. On the other hand though, I am going to miss some of these characters.

Also, for whatever reason, I still think Kubo has it in him to give me what I want. Today's chapter was decent.

You are a hentai arent you?

Please, I'm a connoisseur of petite women with short hair. It's totally not the same.

Any recommendations?

Until Death Do Us Part vol. 2

Well this manga went to shit pretty fast. African diplomats turned terrorists, bio-chips, clones, bombs in teeth. What a mess. And that marriage bomb at the end? Gunbo manga alright.

Admittedly, how he got the bombs out of their mouth was pretty badass. Still, the best thing are the Omake pages.

Kreed

Magi 84:

Well I figured Sinbad was set up, but just the fact that he's done this sort of thing before is hilarious for a shounen character. I didn't like where this chapter ended, but as fast as Magi chapters are coming out I don't mind it as much.

Bleach

So what can they say to not get nuked? Bossman went trigger happy on those dudes. I also got a kick out of Orihime calling Ishida out on being buddy buddy with Ichigo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom