• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still not used to it so i just subscribe instead of looking for it now.

I never did since title was so easy to see and remember after all these years .

Manga thread is always on the first or second page. I have no reason to sub.

Never have. It usually has the most noticeable title in the entire forum.

Also, this may be a bit of a shocking surprise for you, but I was banned for the last month so I hadn't gotten around to subbing to this thread =P

Wierdos :p

I'm normally chilling over gaming side though, so to quickly check the thread, respond/laugh, then go back is really great.

plus yes that Beelzebub anime is grade A horseshit

Beelzebub deserves a better anime than it has. So fucking awful.

I have to thank the anime at least it put me on the manga which was it's job .
At first it was okay but as time went on it became so fucking bad .
Right now i don't even know what to say about it other than it fucking awful in every way .

Solune

Beelzebub deserves a better anime than it has. So fucking awful.

The same can be said of the anime thread, that's why I don't sub to it. But I began my journey into OT in (one of) the manga thread(s). I feel some attachment to it and sub. Plus there are lots of good recommendations buried in the old threads.

upandaway

Dunno guys I don't really follow the because it's very active = don't have to sub. If you want to check the thread, no matter what, clicking the subscriptions button (and my neogaf bookmark is to the subscriptions page) is faster than going to OT and searching for the thread. I only go into the forums when I have time and energy to look for new threads and stuff.
But then again I subscribe to every thread I post in so maybe I'm just using those more heavily than others.

There is a big OP event going on right now where you find out the info along with whole bunch of other pics and stuff .

newslargeimg6434.jpg

Some links for the event .
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201203/19011761.html
http://onepiece-ten.com/
Man that's a bit disappointing. I love the numbers and all don't get me wrong, but they're just reusing panels for the posters there.
I really hope those won't be the actual poster art when they appear in the manga. I like my poster art.

Naruto

Doctor snakes, Doctor snakes, Bakes the most delicious cakes!

Neutral chapter, I don't really care about most powers in Naruto as they're kinda just "now I'm suddenly strong!"-in nature. But whatever, I'll reserve judgement when we see the fight progress further.

Bleach

This is the most stupid "final villain" I've ever witnessed. I'm seriously questioning Kubo's ability to write villains differently than "herp derp I kill my own minions cause I can".

Watch him have some major "for the greater good" speech at the end of this arc as well, where he reveals he's secretly the good guy all along.

God I hate Bleach, I think it's the worst manga I'm currently reading. At least Fairy Tail can still trick me into raising my expectations.
Bleach doesn't just feel like a series that didn't evolve from the DBZ era, it actually feels like a major step back. "I'm strong and I kill my own men." is not how you introduce a villain.

One Piece

A few interesting things:

Seeing a Brownbeard centaur makes me think this chapter confirms my speculation that the centaurs and stuff are in fact human experiments.

I did mention before that it'd most likely be pirates or prisoners, but that their loyalty to their leaders wouldn't necessarily make sense. But hey, Brownbeard confirms this!

Either they're loyal through fear or there's something else going on, but it's interesting.
Otherwise there wasn't much to say about Luffy's team. I can't believe Brook actually saved people and didn't immediately break his back or something stupid.

I kinda had one of those "Good, Brook! You look kinda cool!"-reactions.

As for the other half of the team & Law ... wow, this has to be one of the most overpowered fruits in all of OP. It's central theme is "modification", taken as loosely as possible.

He can modify people, objects, organs ... and now we learn he can even swap personalities?! The most insane part is probably the fact that these are just the skills
we've seen. He could easily have five or six more tricks up his sleeve.

Now some people were discussing weaknesses! I do have to mention 1 or 2 things:

1. Law has never used his fruit on himself, at all. I'm thinking his body is completely human and not something he can operate on. or not something he can operate on without a disadvantage. Meaning he himself is still a regular flesh and bone human.

2. Obviously Tashigi isn't literally cut in half, it's his modification fruit that happened, which got me thinking: We have not seen Law actually "hurt" someone through his own attacks, have we? Any damage he's done was through redirecting bombs and stuff.

I'm pretty convinced that as long as his "Room" is up, Law is actually forced to use his ability. A.k.a he can't actually cut someone and inflict damage with room activated.

3. It looks like he has to use his sword to cut things up, right? Does this mean that if he lost his sword, he'd lose the cutting aspect of his ability? His power is quite strong, but his spacial movement is only a fraction of why. If the most insane aspect of his power is hugely influenced by having to use his sword, any way to take his sword/prevent him from using it would cripple his fruit a lot.

Now some of these points may be untrue if law suddenly uses his fruit differently in the future, but we'll see.
Also: I think Robin's fruit should pose a major threat to Law.

If you want to check the thread, no matter what, clicking the subscriptions button (and my neogaf bookmark is to the subscriptions page) is faster than going to OT and searching for the thread. I only go into the forums when I have time and energy to look for new threads and stuff.

Yep, the same

Strobo

A battle to the death for people that are already dead. Neat concept and some cool special abilities. Kind of felt like the first chapter moved too fast though. Of course this fast pace will probably be a good thing later on. Definitely has potential.

Now if only more than 1 chapter was translated.

upandaway

But what if you get banned and therefore lose all of your subscriptions?
That happens when you get banned?

Either way, you'll just lose something that you wouldn't have had in the first place if you didn't use it. It's not like using subscriptions makes you too dependent on them!

One Piece

I did mention before that it'd most likely be pirates or prisoners, but that their loyalty to their leaders wouldn't necessarily make sense. But hey, Brownbeard confirms this!

Either they're loyal through fear or there's something else going on, but it's interesting.
I think it's just a simple case of following the strongest (so simplistic, haha), but it's worth thinking about

Reknoc

So yesterday while GAF was down I ended up reading through Nisekoi. I like it, it's rather funny and I quite like the art.

Now to try and catch up with Toriko.

Bleach

This is the most stupid "final villain" I've ever witnessed. I'm seriously questioning Kubo's ability to write villains differently than "herp derp I kill my own minions cause I can".

Watch him have some major "for the greater good" speech at the end of this arc as well, where he reveals he's secretly the good guy all along.

God I hate Bleach, I think it's the worst manga I'm currently reading. At least Fairy Tail can still trick me into raising my expectations.
Bleach doesn't just feel like a series that didn't evolve from the DBZ era, it actually feels like a major step back. "I'm strong and I kill my own men." is not how you introduce a villain.

i haven't read bleach since 2 chapters after the Aizen arc ended (couldn't go on cuz it was so bad), but is Aizen not the final villain? dafuq? o_O

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Welcome back Grimace.

Hopefully your presence will keep Big One in check so he doesn't lash out at everyone all the time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Welcome back Grimace.

Hopefully your presence will keep Big One in check so he doesn't lash out at everyone all the time.

I didn't visit here while banned, so I don't know what was going on here during that time.

That goes to Fairy Tail.

Yeah, for character interaction in major shonen series I would definitely agree and give it Fairy Tail over Bleach and others, everyone just goes well together and moments are often unforgettable and hilarious

So Magellan is an admiral now, right?

Im glad someone brought that up, I couldnt think of the Wardens name and thought that cover page was intriguing, I really liked that arc animated so it was nice that it was touched on as of late.

Beelzebub

LMAO this was a hilarious chapter, everybody turning up at random, first Tojo, then Saotome... then Tojo again :lol

And Furuichi having diarrhea and missing out was the best

Sophia

And by a fucking landslide too. I wonder what sort of plot twist Ohba will have to pull out to keep the series from ending really soon.

Well. Azuki did kinda pull that Chekhov's gun out of nowhere by doing it from the volume rather than the script.

I think we're going to see more of the Reversi anime before the show outright ends, however. However, I fully expected it to end around chapter 200.

Articalys

Well. Azuki did kinda pull that Chekhov's gun out of nowhere by doing it from the volume rather than the script.

I think we're going to see more of the Reversi anime before the show outright ends, however. However, I fully expected it to end around chapter 200.
That's what I figured she did; I can't read the raws so I sorta had to guess what was going on.

Mentioning the anime in-story got me thinking a bit. The Bakuman anime itself looks like it'll finish up the second season next week with them just starting out on Perfect Crime Party, back around chapter 91, and the third season is set to start this October. This is just my guess, but at the same pace of roughly 45 chapters per season, the third season could probably end around the time they had the battle to stop Eiji from ending Crow, around chapter 139. Then if they had a fourth season, it could go to around a hypothetical chapter 184, which is still twelve weeks away from now. So... who knows. The series has been doing just fine in the WSJ rankings for a while. Just a bunch of crackpot theorizing on my part, I suppose. We'll just have to see where the story goes from here.

Sophia

That's what I figured she did; I can't read the raws so I sorta had to guess what was going on.

Short jist of it: The script read "White Demon" and she read "Black Demon", as the script was based upon the serialization version, which had an error. She read off the volume instead.The other voice actors called her out on only knowing that because of Mashiro, but both the oldest voice actor and the sound director mentioned that not even Mashiro knew the contents of the script.

Zeppu

One Piece

Some speculation:
If Sanji vs. Mr. 2 is any indication, being in a different body means that one can't use any of their real moves. (duh, obvious, but you see many bodyswaps where strength and fighting style somehow are solely dependent on 'personality') Nami in anyone's body would still be able to use her weapons but that's pretty much it. Chopper's own training is what allows him to switch to many different points, and being in a hidden-weapon-obsessed cyborg won't make it easy for anyone to take control of what he has. I'm sure that there will be some hilarity due to this, and perhaps some good accidental fights.

As for Law, I've been thinking a bit on how the Strawhats would manage against him. The crucial thing to take note of is that, apart from absolute control over the environment, direct attacks on people mostly hinder one's mobility since you'd be detached from your legs or whatever. That means that, for example Luffy, even if he's split in two, he would still be able to retaliate since he's got quite a few ranged attacks, and he would also be able to stretch his arms and retrieve his missing body parts. He already knows that they can be stuck back together.

I also see Robin to be a natural weakness for Law's fruit. Since she can sprout back body parts (assuming she can do more these days), every time she's cut, she can reform a full body out of each half.
She can also close his mouth and stop him from saying 'Room'.

I know it's just speculation but Robin matching up against Law... That would be quite something. I'm all for SHs other than Luffy, Zorro or Sanji fighting powerful enemies but this would be quite out there. If it fleshes out Robin as a character though, bring it on.

Steroyd

I know it's just speculation but Robin matching up against Law... That would be quite something. I'm all for SHs other than Luffy, Zorro or Sanji fighting powerful enemies but this would be quite out there. If it fleshes out Robin as a character though, bring it on.

But... but wouldn't that mean a male vs female fight. *gasp*

On that note, would that make Sanji able to fight a female in Nami's body, or would he still be a gentleman regardless.

Why would anyone other than Luffy fight Law? Only ones present capable of fighting him is probably Smoker, Luffy, and I guess Tashigi who happened to out of the blue use Haki, which I hope doesnt become a running theme that everyone in this half of the series can use.

Strawhats in other bodies would just have skirmishes with the underlings or marines.

Steroyd

Why would anyone other than Luffy fight Law? Only ones present capable of fighting him is probably Smoker, Luffy, and I guess Tashigi who happened to out of the blue use Haki, which I hope doesnt become a running theme that everyone in this half of the series can use.

It will be a running theme, if you can't use Haki you're likely to get worfed by damn near everyone in the New World, it's why the turtle underling guy to Big Mama said that Logia's who think they're invincible have a lower life expectancy in the New World.

Law looks broken but so do allot of guys at first .
It seem if Tashigi had better control of her Haki she might have done better or block the attack .

Sometimes i can't tell if your being serious you really think Tashigi has better chance of beating Law than Zoro or Sanji .
Most of the big boys in the new world will have Haki , so will the monster trio .

Zeppu

I don't expect Robin to fully fight and defeat Law, but I can totally see her being somewhat of hindrance (maybe a Law facefault when she goes all Hydra on him :D).

I also don't see Luffy wanting to fight Law. He saved his life, I'm sure even though Law's proving to be quite evil, Luffy's not going to want to fight him immediately. Until he discovers he's hurt his crew at least.

flawfuls

Bamboo Blade End

I put off finishing this because of what I heard about the ending, but it wasn't quite as bad as I thought. Not that it wasn't bad. I mean the artist even referred to it as an aftertaste destroying. What pissed me off was the author's afterword at the end which made it sound like it wasn't cancelled and he had complete creative freedom. If that what the fuck was he thinking? Then he had to troll with the goddamn fake sequel that he had no intention of making. Oh well, it was a amazing ride while it lasted.

scy

Eh ... didn't they basically say that Haki is a requirement for traveling in the New World?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom