• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted here in a while. Anyway, just caught up on most of the series last night so impressions:

Bleach

I want to preclude how I feel about the first few chapters of this arc by stating that I expect this arc to be good. It's the final arc and thus will tie up all the loose ends and should have some epic battles and revelations, hopefully. Now onto the first few chapters. A mixed bag so far with this week's chapter being the worst. I like getting the Quincy involved, the royal army for whatever you want to call them getting involved right off the bat is good. The primary antagonist having a no-nonsense attitude should help keep things at a faster pace, no dicking around with the protagonists for five chapters or more like some of the villains. The bad, I really don't like these two worthless new characters from SS. They annoy me and serve no purpose. Just send a freakin message down to Ichigo or something. I was hoping this would just get right into going to SS and launch an attack from there but naturally to draw things out, they will go to HM first. I guess I can't really say this is bad, it makes logical sense why the King or whoever has taken up this territory for strategic purposes and it would be natural for an army to take this territory back over before launching the main offensive at the enemy's home base. Add the personal shit with Nel and there's incentive to go there. I guess I just felt there was enough to address without going to HM between the Quincy, Royal Army, Ishida, etc. Will just have to brace for the huge arc I knew was coming and hope the HM portion doesn't blow. My other complaint would be who died. This death was meant to send a message and tell the readers that shit got real. Kill someone we actually care about! This is the final arc! It doesn't have to be a fan favorite, but someone with significance to the reader that has had some decent page time.

Fairy Tail

Fairy Tail teams getting their ass handed to them so they can 'seemingly' make an epic comeback at the end! No one will anticipate this and DTL will revel in the mangaka's ability to surprise and add epic twists! How will FT possibly survive? Stay tuned next week, folks.

Who would you have wanted killed? Hitsugaya? Never.

Who would you have wanted killed? Hitsugaya? Never.

A lieutenant or in the least, one of the primary vice lieutenants that readers are really familiar with and have had page time fighting. A lieutenant would have really hit the mark and set a serious dramatic tone. I said it didn't have to be a fan favorite necessarily so no, not Hitsugaya. That would kill off the whole japanese fan base at the start of the arc haha

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A lieutenant or in the least, one of the primary vice lieutenants that readers are really familiar with and have had page time fighting. A lieutenant would have really hit the mark and set a serious dramatic tone. I said it didn't have to be a fan favorite necessarily so no, not Hitsugaya. That would kill off the whole japanese fan base at the start of the arc haha

Sasakibe IS a lieutenant

Sasakibe IS a lieutenant

My bad, I was thinking Hitsugaya, Kenpahici, etc. Were lieutenants and the one's under them were the vices. Friend just reminded me that they are commanders and the others lieutenants. So let me revise my statement: A commander should have died for dramatic impact but a lieutenant that we are really familiar with and care more about would suffice.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Killing Sasawhatever the fuck his name is makes sense. Of course, he is not in the hearts of the readers, but it sends a message to Soul Society. He is the vice captain of the Captain Commander. It is saying that we are coming for your heads. How much sense would it make for them to kill some random captain or vice captain in sending a message? It does not send as much (or as big) of a message as it does to kill the Captain Commanders' vice captain. Sure, it would tell us readers that anyone is up for death, but it doesn't make sense in the context of the world. I'm sure that once the actual war starts, more heads will roll.

The root problem was that we've just never seen much of the dude, not in that he's the one who is dying. He is the next highest in command (not in strength) for the enemy to target.

Oh, and I think someone can diagnose this problem:

QzAXR.jpg

Killing Sasawhatever the fuck his name is makes sense. Of course, he is not in the hearts of the readers, but it sends a message to Soul Society. He is the vice captain of the Captain Commander. It is saying that we are coming for your heads. How much sense would it make for them to kill some random captain or vice captain in sending a message? It does not send as much (or as big) of a message as it does to kill the Captain Commanders' vice captain. Sure, it would tell us readers that anyone is up for death, but it doesn't make sense in the context of the world. I'm sure that once the actual war starts, more heads will roll.

The root problem was that we've just never seen much of the dude, not in that he's the one who is dying. He is the next highest in command (not in strength) for the enemy to target.

QzAXR.jpg

I didn't say it didn't make sense, just that it's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Fair enough, then I blame kubo for not developing that character ;)

How much sense would it make for them to kill some random captain or vice captain in sending a message? It does not send as much (or as big) of a message as it does to kill the Captain Commanders' vice captain. Sure, it would tell us readers that anyone is up for death, but it doesn't make sense in the context of the world. I'm sure that once the actual war starts, more heads will roll.

http://i.imgur.com/QzAXR.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

But non of the Captains and vice captains are just random. Apart from Sasasikibe and Unohana's weve seen the others tons. Ones capable of being killed and affecting readers are all unfortunately fan favorites, spare Konomura which I doubt no one would even miss.

Ikkaku or Yumichika or Rangiku could have but well none of them are just powerful anyway to send the message.

I guess Sasakibe just made sense.

*best product of dr snakes

[quote="Squall ASF, post: 36263431"]My bad, I was thinking Hitsugaya, Kenpahici, etc. Were lieutenants and the one's under them were the vices. Friend just reminded me that they are commanders and the others lieutenants. So let me revise my statement: A commander should have died for dramatic impact but a lieutenant that we are really familiar with and care more about would suffice.[/QUOTE]

Konomura is the only one that should have died, everyone else is just good on their rights, I guess Hisagi could have died just for the sake of emotional investment or Renji too.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I didn't say it didn't make sense, just that it's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Fair enough, then I blame kubo for not developing that character ;)
Yeah, it isn't as exciting, I agree, but the arc literally just started like 3 chapters ago. The dudes invaded 2 chapters ago. I'm not sure that I would say it's "zzzzzzzzz." just because I wouldn't expect a major death so soon. Now if we get deeper into the war and nothing happens? Then it's awful shit. Not to mention, they did kill 106 other shinigami, all being a part of the first division. They specifically went after the captain commander's people. So yeah.

But yes, Kubo gets the blame for all that shit with the lack of development of course.

But non of the Captains and vice captains are just random. Apart from Sasasikibe and Unohana's weve seen the others tons. Ones capable of being killed and affecting readers are all unfortunately fan favorites, spare Konomura which I doubt no one would even miss.

Ikkaku or Yumichika or Rangiku could have but well none of them are just powerful anyway to send the message.
No, they are not random to us, but as far as we know, they are random to the new villain.

There are 12 captains and vice-captains. All of them have varying importance and strengths.

There is only 1 Captain Commander. And only one Vice Captain for that commander. Obviously, they wouldn't be able to take the head of the captain commander before the war starts, so the next thing down the line from the most top (as far as pure rank) is the vice captain of that one entity.

Yeah, it isn't as exciting, I agree, but the arc literally just started like 3 chapters ago. The dudes invaded 2 chapters ago. I'm not sure that I would say it's "zzzzzzzzz." just because I wouldn't expect a major death so soon. Now if we get deeper into the war and nothing happens? Then it's awful shit. Not to mention, they did kill 106 other shinigami, all being a part of the first division. They specifically went after the captain commander's people. So yeah.

But yes, Kubo gets the blame for all that shit with the lack of development of course.

I was just saying if they did kill someone with that much weight so soon, it would really have set the tone for this arc. I'm not trying to say it's bad for not doing that, it just would have been much better. I throw out zzz's because I don't know who the hell that guy is. Kubo really should have developed him a bit if he planned on doing this. The freaking two kids that roll around with Konohamaru have more development than this guy. I understand that I should feel more weight about the death because of his rank and proximity to the Master Commander but in battle shounen, only two things matter when it comes to a character: 1. How developed they are/their interactivity with other characters 2. How strong they are. Either we care about the character and feel the drama as a result, or the character is really strong so the death gives a loud impression of how powerful the antagonists are thus creating a more interesting setup. Again, I'm not saying oh this is retarded, what's the point? nothing happened? I'm just saying Kubo could have done a better job there. I also could care a less about the large fodder death count. What enemy group couldn't have done the same to those scrubs? The only special thing going on here is that they were able to break into SS in the first place. Though even Ichigo did that early in the series ;)

dabig2

wait wait wait..I SAID FUCKING WAIT!!! did a guy just claim Bleach had the best shonen character interactions?

Is this this real life?

Dude's trolling because he's eternally salty about One Piece praise. He takes it on himself to be a balance to what he sees as One Piece fanaticism. Shit's old.

Lain

My Mysterious Girlfriend X vol 1
47a12fe858092138b8e136b2085f355ef9216c05.jpg

I'm pretty open to most of anything, and yet this whole drool deal is making me feel a bit of... discomfort, which is so disappointing, given that everything else is pretty cute.
Gonna keep reading it though.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I was just saying...
Then we agree on things. I can promise you once the war starts, at least one person that we care about is going to die. If not, this war will be shit. I'm a bit lenient on the FKT arc because that wasn't as much of a war...moreso a "power struggle" than a war. This shit though, it feels like it'll be something more grand scale.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I'm pretty open to most of anything, and yet this whole drool deal is making me feel a bit of... discomfort, which is so disappointing, given that everything else is pretty cute.

MGX gets boring really fast.

Then we agree on things. I can promise you once the war starts, at least one person that we care about is going to die. If not, this war will be shit. I'm a bit lenient on the FKT arc because that wasn't as much of a war...moreso a "power struggle" than a war. This shit though, it feels like it'll be something more grand scale.

i guarantee you this won't happen
cause I don't care about any of the characters :)

I don´t make things up. It´s sad you get your feelings hurt because some people don´t like the same manga that you do.

Interesting stance you're taking here...

Lain

MGX gets boring really fast.

It does? If it keeps the same type of events seen in the first volume going, I wouldn't be surprised.
Though I must say I found this one more fun than, say, Hajimete no Aku (another weird one), which I also started reading today and that managed to turn me off completely with the first volume.

survivor

Banned
Put it this way, the anime will end way sooner than the manga will (if it's ongoing).

Oh yeah I forgot that if the anime boosts the popularity of the manga, that will be another 2 years of serialization.

On another note, it's a good thing the weaboo name Nazo no Kanojo X isn't catching up in the online communities that much.

Earlier in the thread you said that they retconned Brown Beard into a centaur. Nobody is that dense but either way you have no leg to stand on.
You are a liar
Pretty much. Brown beard being a centaur is stupid beyond belief. But one piece is fucking dumb so it fits perfectly.
I never said retconned, i said stupid. I guess you can´t tell the difference.

You said the Ichigo power up is unexplainable, i proved you wrong. You have no leg to stand on.

upandaway

Toriko

If you thought washing sushi rice was crazy, man that rice where you wash each grain individually... Toriko just can't not exaggerate. It's crazy.

We're talking about individually washing grains of rice here. I know I can get hung up on the smallest shit in a chapter but dude. Dude. Think about this. Let's be calm here. Those are rice grains there. We're talking about rice.

And it's not just putting the thing under the faucet and being done with it, no. It's probably some monkey business like carefully and gently passing it over water for minutes. Each grain.

The drool thing is pretty weird but i still dig the series.

You are a liar

I never said retconned, i said stupid. I guess you can´t tell the difference.

You said the Ichigo power up is unexplainable, i proved you wrong. You have no leg to stand on.

You said he was a centaur... Which he's not. Unless you want to redefine what a centaur is.

I also never said that Ichigo's power-up was unexplainable.

Toriko

Crappy chapter, the ending was alright.

Beelzebub

Tojo is always awesome. He should have his own spin off manga.

Tower Of God

Damn, what a monster. He destroyed a princess´s record, and she is suppose to be so damn powerful.

Witch hunter 71-72-73

So damn good. I knew Tasha has to quit being a witch hunter to protect Halloween.

Of course, Mangabro, we usually do. You're just a semi-bleachtard whereas I'm a semi-Narutard. I precluded my assessment with stating that I expected this arc to be good, I'm sure there will be grand battles and death. If Kubo ended the entire series without any major deaths...

Kabuto is a shit character and if you like him you should be ashamed of yourself.

Really? I thought you'd like him as he's a mimic of Oro. Maybe that's why, you think he's a fraud imitation. He still gives off some of the same vibes and has the creepy snake factor. He just doesn't carry the pedo air the same way Oro did or Hisoka does.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
If Kubo ended the entire series without any major deaths...
It's funny because Kishimoto is knee deep into his war and he hasn't killed anyone yet.

Haha. And don't worry, semi-narutard is okay. It's like you only liked the first couple of books of Twilight but couldn't get through the last one.
Yep, he is as bad as Orochimaru
This is an even worse offense.

SHIT TASTE.

PK Gaming

Stat, I just saw the ME3 ending and I am fucking pissed. It was so bad, mediocrity that I couldn't even fathom. There are a few theories out there explaining why its so bad, but fuck I wanted bioware to just give us a satisfying conclusion to ME3. Goddamn.

Oh an Kabuto blows Orochimaru out of the park as a villain. Maybe in part 1, Oro was up to fluff, but in part 2 he was just an irrelevant character that got bodied by Sasuke / Itachi. In the grand scheme of things, Kabuto made the entire war arc possible (Madara couldn't possibly win with fucking zetsu) I like Kabuto's personality and abilities too. He doesn't fuck around with little kiddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom