• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay, almost everyone.

I mean, that shit looks like reject power-rangers mixed with some lame naruto tailed beast shit.

There was a reason that Kubo himself said about the design that the Ginjo one is based off of: "I created that look for Ichigo so that fans would be relieved when he got his original Shinigami mojo on"...and it worked. I was like "THANK GOD" when he was finally back in Shinigami robes.

Okay, almost everyone.

I mean, that shit looks like reject power-rangers mixed with some lame naruto tailed beast shit.

There was a reason that Kubo himself said about the design that the Ginjo one is based off of: "I created that look for Ichigo so that fans would be relieved when he got his original Shinigami mojo on"...and it worked. I was like "THANK GOD" when he was finally back in Shinigami robes.
Haha Kubo is such a hack.

gunbo13

For the most part, this stuff is fucking horrible too; i.e. To Love Ru is awful.
There is sometimes a rift between quality and entertainment. You can always like ignore it though, right?
But it's not just to Big One, when gunbo said that one incident ruined an entirely otherwise fantastically animated fight, I said "Fuck that shit and fuck you"...so this is to be expected :p
I could tell you were joking. And I'm sure you have figured out my post style by now where I blow everything up out of proportion.

As for "family friendly" I'll say that some recent panel posts and hentai talk is a bit much. But I don't care. It isn't my role to censor or push ideals. It would help some people I think to be a little less serious. I'm never serious and never frustrated at the thread. That ain't no fucking coincidence friends.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I could tell you were joking. And I'm sure you have figured out my post style by now where I blow everything up out of proportion.
Of course.

gunbo13 said:
As for "family friendly" I'll say that some recent panel posts and hentai talk is a bit much. But I don't care. It isn't my role to censor or push ideals. It would help some people I think to be a little less serious. I'm never serious and never frustrated at the thread. That ain't no fucking coincidence friends.
Yeah. Basically.

WE ARE ALL BREHS HERE AT MANGAF. Nothing negative said should even be taken seriously.

Okay, almost everyone.

Its not that bad, still better than Jin Kariya.

I thought someone said the design was based off of some other popular cult manga hit series?

Solune

I moved to Australia for medical school in December and I'm here for 4 years.

It's only a matter of time before I'm doing this

http://i.imgur.com/PE6po.png
What is going on in this picture? I guess we should start calling you Derek Stiles now.
Is that the thing where the world needs evil so we know what's good?

And harshly at that.

Foolishness Gunbo, Foolishness. Might.. controls.. everything. And without strength, you cannot protect anything... Let alone manga.

survivor

Banned
I could do without the awful Naruto fanart cause all of them look terrible. Need better artists for it to work

Haha Kubo is such a hack.
Yeah it's a pretty terrible excuse to make your design look like shit

You can insult Aunt Tits or anything else, but do not insult TLR. ;_;
It's all the same garbage

We need more DTLs to combat GODA
Embrace the GODA

Strings Dolls

Interesting premise. Wheelchair girl downloads a game from some vending machine hotspot thing that lets you control people's movements. She uses it to walk and stuff. But then some other people downloaded the game and use it to get people to commit suicide.

It's like a more restricted Death Note.

upandaway

Minamoto 26

I'm terribly sorry, gentlemen, but it seems I cannot find the second half of this chapter. Why, it's as if it never even existed!

Apath

Its what people call Minamoto-kun Monogatari.
Yeah, but Aunt Tits can have two meanings. It can be a title for the aunt as in my Aunt, Tits. Or it can be a reference to the aunt's tits. I've always seen it as the former, but everyone could be calling it the latter.

I know this may seem strange asking manga GAF, but I need your opinion on something. Does a story, on a fundamental level work when an author says their is no main character or protagonist and the plot doesn't centralize on one character? Yes, OP doesn't centralize on Luffy, but there it's universally agreed upon that he's the main protagonist, as an example of what I'm trying to say.

Because I have a friend who's trying to write a story like that and I feel it's fundamentally flawed from the beginning if the story doesn't even have a fucking main protagonist. Manga-GAF with all your vast experience of reading different types of manga across a variety of genre, what do you think?

Apath

I know this may seem strange asking manga GAF, but I need your opinion on something. Does a story, on a fundamental level work when an author says their is no main character or protagonist and the plot doesn't centralize on one character? Yes, OP doesn't centralize on Luffy, but there it's universally agreed upon that he's the main protagonist, as an example of what I'm trying to say.

Because I have a friend who's trying to write a story like that and I feel it's fundamentally flawed from the beginning if the story doesn't even have a fucking main protagonist. Manga-GAF with all your vast experience of reading different types of manga across a variety of genre, what do you think?
IMO a story doesn't necessarily need it, but then you need to focus on something else... like the world itself or perhaps a single event. It is always useful though to have a main character, at least in the beginning, to help introduce the world and get the reader's interest.

Zekes!

IMO a story doesn't necessarily need it, but then you need to focus on something else... like the world itself or perhaps a single event. It is always useful though to have a main character, at least in the beginning, to help introduce the world and get the reader's interest.

Yeah, I agree with this. There doesn't need to be a main character, but there needs to be something that in the end is the central focus of the story

Thats it.

sixclaws

Banned
Minamoto 26

I'm terribly sorry, gentlemen, but it seems I cannot find the second half of this chapter. Why, it's as if it never even existed!

Have you tried using firefox? I'm assuming you're probably talking about the image loading screen and it only displays on certain websites and browsers. Check the groups homepage to find out more.

upandaway

Fiction is about the world. Characters have the sole purpose of introducing and exploring the setting. Having a manga without an MC is like doing a tour of a place where the guide keeps changing (along with his attitude, knowledge, route etc) and even randomly disappears.

My literature teacher would kill me if she sees the above, by the way, so I'm not sure how popular my opinion is.

Have you tried using firefox? I'm assuming you're probably talking about the image loading screen and it only displays on certain websites and browsers. Check the groups homepage to find out more.
I'm talking about how it has a dang 11 pages! Man I hate that about this manga.

Though I did have a lot of trouble with the stupid monkey business on that site, but between 2 readers and 3 browsers (foxes not allowed), it turned out okay.

Steroyd

Really depends on how you flesh out the world, Hunter x Hunter had Gon go on hiatus for practically a whole arc after the Chimera ants and it didn't feel like the manga was going to fall apart because his personality wasn't there, this is most likely because the chracters have been portrayed as one of a large cast.

Tacitus_

So I had to check out Aunt Tits... what the hell :lol
Consider me hooked, just to see where the hell this story will go. And you know, tits.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Possible, but it's difficult to pull off.

I can't think of many off the top of my head. One is Genshiken and even then the focus is pretty small.

Another example of Asano's Hikari no Machi. It all takes place in and around the apartment complex, but there's no focus on any of the individual characters. However, your friend needs to ask themselves what differentiates their "story" from a series of short stories that share a common setting?

Because that's the closest you can get to an "unfocused story".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's really no reason to do it aside from trying to be different
Some people just want to be different.

A story about a world instead of characters...

It would read like a history textbook, or a D&D rulebook if it was fantasy.

After thinking about it some more, what your friend is trying to write is not a story so much as a setting, which is perfectly possible, but not emotionally engaging in any way shape or form. If he or she just wants to build a world then there's no problem.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So I had to check out Aunt Tits... what the hell :lol
Consider me hooked, just to see where the hell this story will go. And you know, tits.

You guys will read anything if it has boobs in it.

gunbo13

Yeah, but Aunt Tits can have two meanings. It can be a title for the aunt as in my Aunt, Tits. Or it can be a reference to the aunt's tits. I've always seen it as the former, but everyone could be calling it the latter.
Aunt Tits was just us being cute with the title last year when writing reviews. It evolved from the previously popular Aunt Grope, which I'm still fond of today.

However I am all for the title evolving, standing for hopes and dreams.

Uzumaki END

Fucking hell :lol

This turned from "lol is this manga for real?" to "oh god why in the name of satan's asshole am I still reading this?".

Me = scarred for life

Fourteen Ch. 12

Dascu, are you telling me this goes on for over 250 chapters? I fear my sanity is in danger, my mind is doing cartwheels goddamit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom