• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

I mostly want to see how the manga is going to peak after the first conquest since the author is blowing "feeling up his aunt" and "trying to have sex with his cousin" straight out of the gate :lol
Also, boobs.

Yeah, I'm thinking about how fucked up this manga is going to be further down the line :lol

I know this may seem strange asking manga GAF, but I need your opinion on something. Does a story, on a fundamental level work when an author says their is no main character or protagonist and the plot doesn't centralize on one character? Yes, OP doesn't centralize on Luffy, but there it's universally agreed upon that he's the main protagonist, as an example of what I'm trying to say.

Because I have a friend who's trying to write a story like that and I feel it's fundamentally flawed from the beginning if the story doesn't even have a fucking main protagonist. Manga-GAF with all your vast experience of reading different types of manga across a variety of genre, what do you think?

I think it would be hard to focus on or even have a compelling reason to read that story, without a main or central protagonist to keep the series going, then the story would essentially appear to be a historical document, and ultimately, kind of boring. Characters are the centerpiece to story and if one has no main protagonist then one finds no reason to read it. The story would only work if it was a short story that leaves it open ended, like the 17th-20th century short stories. Similarily, by not focusing on a single character and establishing a main protagonist, stories like Heroes and Lost ended up failing to keep peoples attention and missing the opportunity to succeeding on delivering a good story by lack of focus and diluting storytelling impact for the sake world building and history.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm calling it now, at around the 6th-7th conquest he'll have to conquer another feminine guy.

survivor

Banned
I know this may seem strange asking manga GAF, but I need your opinion on something. Does a story, on a fundamental level work when an author says their is no main character or protagonist and the plot doesn't centralize on one character? Yes, OP doesn't centralize on Luffy, but there it's universally agreed upon that he's the main protagonist, as an example of what I'm trying to say.

Because I have a friend who's trying to write a story like that and I feel it's fundamentally flawed from the beginning if the story doesn't even have a fucking main protagonist. Manga-GAF with all your vast experience of reading different types of manga across a variety of genre, what do you think?

It can easily work. A manga doesn't really have to focus one one character to tell the story. We generally only get one MC as he/she is the person we will support and want to see his/her adventure but that's doesn't really have to be the same for other manga. For example look at Baccano or Durarara where it shifts focus to different group of characters each episode. Obviously then writing gets harder cause you have to focus on multiple characters and try to develop them equally.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
NrCar.png

Daaaaaaaaamn.

survivor

Banned
Fourteen Ch. 12

Dascu, are you telling me this goes on for over 250 chapters? I fear my sanity is in danger, my mind is doing cartwheels goddamit.
You started this now? Here is a tip, if at any point of the manga you think the levels of crazy can't get any crazier then just slap yourself so you can get reminded that shit will get even crazier

I couldn't sleep the night I finished it caused I kept thinking of how profound the ending was.

I'm calling it now, at around the 6th-7th conquest he'll have to conquer another feminine guy.
I'm hoping for that too but sooner.

You started this now? Here is a tip, if at any point of the manga you think the levels of crazy have can't get any crazier then just slap yourself so you can get reminded that shit will get even crazier

I couldn't sleep the night I finished it caused I kept thinking of how profound the ending was.
Chapter 30 right now with the flashback of that boy in Chicken George's lab. Enough for today though, I'm going to bed now but I want to read more. Still can't wrap my head around it. Do we get an explanation how the green children were created? I guess the manga isn't really about technicalities like this but still.

Chapter 30 right now with the flashback of that boy in Chicken George's lab. Enough for today though, I'm going to bed now but I want to read more. Still can't wrap my head around it. Do we get an explanation how the green children were created? I guess the manga isn't really about technicalities like this but still.

A Fourteen reader? Hell yess

My tip? keeping doing the bold when you feel its getting too crazy on your mind and prepare yourself since its gonna get even weirder (trust me on this)

flawfuls

Explinations? LOL.

gunbo13

Sweet, I can start reading manga again! Fuck gaming shit seriously. I have 127 chapters staring at me just from my weeklies. Are you fucking kidding me? Manga backlogs are fucking scary.

survivor

Banned
lolololol explanations

That should be the least of your worries

Sweet, I can start reading manga again! Fuck gaming shit seriously. I have 127 chapters staring at me just from my weeklies. Are you fucking kidding me? Manga backlogs are fucking scary.
manga > games

get your priorities right son

Fourteen vol. 1

come again
Excellent, another reader to descend to madness alongside Glass Rebel

Haly

This was my last hurrah for games. Well, until GW2 comes out. Right Haly?

But no seriously, fuck games. Manga requires you to read. That's it. Superior form of entertainment.
You're going to be disappointed by GW2.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Medaka Box 140 spoilers:

So the manga isn't ending like people assumed. Nope... in fact, Medaka stops Ajimu from killing herself... Medaka and Zenkichi kiss and some point... and yeah, still waiting on scans, but there it is.

Haly

Troll within a troll.

Nisio is the master.

Zekes!

Medaka Box 140 spoilers:

So the manga isn't ending like people assumed. Nope... in fact, Medaka stops Ajimu from killing herself... Medaka and Zenkichi kiss and some point... and yeah, still waiting on scans, but there it is.

God only knows what can happen now

Verelios

Minamoto 26:

Spit my drink out at the ending. A sub-par chapter, but the set up? I'm sure everyone reading was expecting it at some point, but, yeah. Shit's about to get 'best bad'.

Articalys

I liked it more when people didn't care about Medaka Box because it meant I didn't have to tiptoe around spoilers for the two and a half days it takes for a full translation to appear.

See you all on Friday.

Scum

Medaka Box 140 spoilers:

¬_¬

prwxv3

That was pretty awesome. Its is no where near as cliche as the begging of the original Eureka 7.
I hope the revolution guy does not beat on AO for half the series. After Eureka's speech in the flashback I think Renton died saving her or someone else just like his dad.

Azure J

Medaka Box 140 spoilers:

Troll within a troll.

Nisio is the master.

Pretty much. I wonder what the story's gonna genre shift into this time? [/sarcasm, not a spoiler.]

scy

Medaka Box 140 spoilers:

:|

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
FOURTEEN the first volume.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................what the fuck.

FOURTEEN the first volume.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................what the fuck.

mrburns.gif

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Solune

Rex Fabula 4

Miyase is a bro, Homare was a boss. Also the monster introduced is totally Silent Hill inspired. Next chapter should be good.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rex Fabula 4

Miyase is a bro, Homare was a boss. Also the monster introduced is totally Silent Hill inspired. Next chapter should be good.

I'm still waiting... the scanlation is far behind now. But yes, it's awesome... Homare is a great protagonist.

Haly

He was always the main protagonist though.

Medaka is as much the heroine of Medaka Box as Haruhi is the heroine of Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You guys will read anything if it has boobs in it.

I'm still waiting for the ultimate manga to appear.

Milk Master.

It'll be about a youngish looking girl who secretly spies on the boys in her class and then defaces their stuff with her breast milk.

Of course, she'll have a redemptive arc where it turns from a mental duel manga to a harem and battle manga...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was hoping for more Itachi Sasuke talking, their interaction is the highlight at that Assault on Kabuto summit.

I think my actual prediction is we would go back to naruto and tobi or the kage and madara.

I'm getting really tired of having three "epic" battles at once, particularly when only one of them is even good.

upandaway

I liked it more when people didn't care about Medaka Box because it meant I didn't have to tiptoe around spoilers for the two and a half days it takes for a full translation to appear.

See you all on Friday.
I didn't even read the responses to the spoiler and I already know what's written inside it :(

but oh well, damage was already done

When I have a bunch of silly nonsense in my backlog that's the moment of truth for me to know what I want to read and what I just slug through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom