• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

My Hero Academia 57

I liked this chapter a lot. Felt like a real conclusion that moved the story forward with strong and obvious plot threads laid down. Stain turned out to be a fucking great character. I still don't really get why they had to hid the involvement of the kids in the last chapter but whatever I guess. Rogues gallery at the end looks interesting but I'm disappointed its looking to be a sausage fest - I feel there are just so few female villains in anime/manga :(

Kubo Seeks to Protect Image Online

Dear lord, all those Kubo images from /a/ from 2009 are finally catching up to him!

Alternatively people are just calling pairs of sunglasses Kubo like with Itagaki

I'm confused, were people harassing Kubo or does he just have the thinnest skin in the world?

Kurita

But youll miss the Tsukki volume and the Aoba Josai cover :(

Whats with the subtitle though?
Well, I guess Haikyuu!! doesn't mean anything if you're not Japanese so... It's super corny though. They do the same for SKET Dance.

Prison School drama, the only thing related to this series that I'll tolerate
COF0qobUwAA4Guw.jpg

MangaGAF's hero
news_xlarge_andore.jpg

My Hero Academia 57

I liked this chapter a lot. Felt like a real conclusion that moved the story forward with strong and obvious plot threads laid down. Stain turned out to be a fucking great character. I still don't really get why they had to hid the involvement of the kids in the last chapter but whatever I guess. Rogues gallery at the end looks interesting but I'm disappointed its looking to be a sausage fest - I feel there are just so few female villains in anime/manga :(

I'm confused, were people harassing Kubo or does he just have the thinnest skin in the world?

People were harassing Kubo on Twitter, so you can't really blame him.

They were making memes out of him.

Amon vol. 3
Oh boy...where to even start.

Well, the angels and God's presence gets some spotlight this time, as the end of volume 2 had Silene being captured by God's forces in place of Satan (due to similarity in appearances). Plenty more body horror takes place, as well as showing off how much of a dick God is in this universe, and it makes it even more frightening than something like YHWH in MegaTen if only because you can't even put a face to him.

This volume had quite a number of very beautiful two page spreads of art, stuff like Angels descending from Heaven en mass, or Amon punching Satan square in the face so hard a tooth comes out. Speaking of which, the big highlight with this volume for me is everything having to do with Satan and Amon's interactions, and how their actions in the last couple chapters result in things leading to the original manga.

Turns out the kid that fused with Amon's soul and resurrected him was actually born from Satan. Well, not literally, more like God took a part of Satan out of him in a manner I assume similar to when Adam's rib was taken to make Eve. Members of the Silene initially took the kid as being a bad omen and considering what he's become guess they were right. The whole fight between the two here really highlights how there are demons, creatures that are not human but are just like any other sentient living being. And then there's Amon, who might as well be God's biggest mistake ever considering that's who created him. And then was sealed inside the big ball of light because giving a demon power equal to God's would be incredibly dangerous.

So the encounter straight ends with Amon and Satan turning into their human forms (well, half form in Amon's case, the legs still remain the same), and God's floating metropolis in the sky falls into the ocean therefore becoming what would be later known as Atlantis. After a naked no holds barred brawl, Satan ultimately loses due to a hallucination of the final scene in the original manga; the punishment he will face endlessly by seeing the person he loves most die.

After this volume I think I can see now why Akira was such a prime target for Satan's affection. The kid who revived Amon and fused with him sure does look familiar...and was born from Satan.

I'm seriously curious if there's any more they will extrapolate on from the pre-ice age era of demon kind before bringing the story back to modern times. This was already a lot of info revealed about how Amon came to be and his significance to compared to every other demon.

bobohoro

Boku Hero Academia 57

Nothing groundbreaking, still nice developments all around.

Prison School 189

Come on, putting on panties is like taking them off in reverse.

Nisekoi 184

Onodera chilling on that backseat.

Usobuko

Banned
Historie ~42-92

The biggest downside to it all is art which, while it still has some moments, feels subpar most of the time and is just dreadful and plainly unfinished at times.

In general, I can't say this rocked my socks off, certainly I'd put Innocent a few tiers higher, but it was pretty decent. Now to wait another 12 years for them to get to Persepolis. ;_;

The art is guilty of omitting the background and allow plenty of white blanks to take away.

No surprise you rate Innocent better either, have you read Kokou no Hito, the previous of work of that mangaka?

The art is guilty of omitting the background and allow plenty of white blanks to take away.

No surprise you rate Innocent better either, have you read Kokou no Hito, the previous of work of that mangaka?

You know from the few pics I've seen of this series the art is godly. Like it gives Berserk a run for its money from the few landscape pics I've seen.

I've been putting this series in my backlog for quite a while, don't know why. However it really does look atmospheric and seems like a masterpiece in terms of art. Though I did hear the art gets really really amazing as the series progresses.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Shokugeki no Soma 133 Spoilers
She's is scared as shit of him
Also looks like he was a former 3rd seat

I can't wait for next week's chapter.

Usobuko

Banned
You know from the few pics I've seen of this series the art is godly. Like it gives Berserk a run for its money from the few landscape pics I've seen.

I've been putting this series in my backlog for quite a while, don't know why. However it really does look atmospheric and seems like a masterpiece in terms of art. Though I did hear the art gets really really amazing as the series progresses.

Go for it, the story is excellent too.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You are in dire need of some serious manga without too much ecchi/smut it seems, so Monster Musume, Keijo or Tsugomomo.

Mah brother, I have read all three. I am a level 78 Paladin when it comes to manga. Only Zweizer and Uso can give me manga I would not normally find.

Nah, the chapters aren't that lewd from what I can recall... Oh wait... This is going to get dicey...

SEVEN SEA'S WITH THE GODLIKE TRANSLATIONS! PLEASE GIVE ME MY TSUNDERE OJOUSAMAS!!!

Amon vol. 4
Rest in piece, Silene :(

The story was still very much focused on the past, with Satan being absent after his battle with Amon and another demon Asura (who might as well be Ashura since it's two people split down the middle and merged) is manipulating demon kind to his will so he can kill Satan. Because hey guess what, Satan's got someone else that holds a huge grudge against him, though compared to Amon which is just "don't know, don't care, I just hate you," Asura's has a bit more reason behind it as he blames Satan and his fall from heaven to lead to demons in general being rejected by God, and how Asura became what it is now.

Speaking of falling from heaven, this volume all but confirmed in a few pages that Michael gave Satan the most lop sided curb stomping battle against him back when he was called Lucifer and first fell from grace. And he looks very human unlike all the other creepy angels. Never fuck with the Archangels.

Anyway, Asura's plans by fusing every demon into one monstrosity powerful enough to be as strong as Amon falls apart when what appear to be angels brutally torture Asura to near death, Satan's three body guards combine into the Hell General Zenon, Amon crashes the party with Silene and Kaim in tow, and the result is space time getting warped because that's Zenon shtick and Silene and Kaim are sent to the era when the ice age is happening, mortally wounded.

The final chapter in this volume is especially tragic and heartfelt, and is the most surprising thing about it as a result because I never would've taken Silene to be a character that I'd have felt much sympathy for in the original manga. Or Kaim for that matter, who went out of his way to fuse with Silene to give her one last burst of strength to fight Devilman. But along with showing the origins of Amon, Silene was as much an important character to the story as the manga closely followed her attempts to carry on the pride of her tribe after everyone there was killed and was forced to eat her own mother. And the result? The Silene dies during childbirth, and spawns an infant Silene who will become the same one that fights Devilman in the original manga, all while continuing to carry her tribe's legacy a bit longer. Kaim doesn't change though, and all of a sudden it gives more context to why he cares so much for her and offers his body to help in her fight with Devilman in the modern day.

The modern day aspect of the story is slowly starting to creep back in, though. In fact, every first page of each chapter in this volume is some event taking place or had taken place during the original manga, Ryo and Akira standing in front of the demon statue helmet thing being one in particular. It continues to full my appreciation for Kinutani's artwork in this, both seeing the new things created for Amon and reinterpretations of memorable scenes from the original. Though the most ambiguous scene is during Satan's resting period where he's met by a mysterious being who explains to him that Satan's been having visions of the past and future, and the revelation that it's always going to end with him losing a loved one is unavoidable. Whether this is during his healing in the past or present day is the ambiguous part, and it doesn't matter anyway since the weird creature goes ahead and erases Satan's memories of the exchange anyway. Guess they needed to slip in a reminder some how even though I felt Devilman and Violence Jack both had made the time loop scenario fairly clear before.

Two thirds through this thing now. Let's hope the momentum keeps up, because I've been getting more and more excited with each volume.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Okay I'll give Tsugumi some credit.

Chitoge > Tsugumi >>>>> other girls >>>>>>>> Onodera

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
latest prison school to date

That is some serious batman techniques. I also hope chairman hasnt completely lost his sight on whats right.

Zweizer

Banned
yay

no fox hears tho

Gotta have a change of pace from time to time!

It's amazing on pretty much all fronts. Well worth a read. I wrote something about it here, if it can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom