• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underground Elite 10 bro.

If only Haly

What's probably gonna happen is Hisako is going to say the table is reserved for Soma to help Erina save face (plus Soma is under the impression that she owes him a favor). Azami gets pissed that his daughter is hanging around with a "low bred" transfer student.

Either Erina will cook for them both, Azami shit talks her cooking and Soma defends her or Erina and Azami cook the same dish, Azami shit talks her cooking, and Soma defends her since at the end of 132 it's hinted that Soma will meet another chef he won't forget.

I don't think Azami will outright reveal Jouichiro is Soma's dad but kinda indirectly say, "Oh you're the worthless son of the expelled 2nd seat" or something.

Sidebar: Is it common for kids to have different last names from their parents? Saiba seems to be Jou's last name so I assume Yukihira was his wife's last name but Soma didn't take his dad's last name so just wondering. Or Saiba could be an alias but then why go to school and work for a family with an alias. <shrug>

Also the theory that Erina and Soma are related because they share the same mom makes no sense because how can they be the same age with different dads but the same mom.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think Soma *actually* believe Erina owes him anything, he just really wants to eat her food since he's never had it.

Zweizer

Banned
Nukoduke! ch63-64

Yep, they were as I imagined. What a small world we live in, though.

Hatarakanai Futari ch48

pI0o3S8.png

The sad truth.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma ch133

Her father is so blatantly and clichedly antagonistic it's hilarious.

His motivation is pretty absurd, really. "No one is allowed to eat my food except ???" makes basically no sense. Like, he just told the founder of the top, no-expenses-spared Gastronomy club in Japan he wasn't good enough to eat Erina's food. Like, what?

Please Save my Earth vol. 1

What are you thinking Alice.

It starts a bit slow with a timid Alice and she making friends in school, but soon enough an intriguing idea is presented to the reader, there are several clues of something not being right with the heroine (that scene with the penguins, lol), there is drama with a kid almost dying, an accident that changes his personality mysteriously and then a twist at the end. Like, holy shit Rin is eviiil:

I really like the scifi idea used. The concept of a pair of guys having the same dream, but from different perspectives is intriguing. And even more when the dream continues night after night.
It's funny their idea of what's happening, they are receiving the dreams of their future lives, as they are in space. Of course, who could think
they are the reincarnations of aliens!

Zweizer

Banned
His motivation is pretty absurd, really. "No one is allowed to eat my food except ???" makes basically no sense. Like, he just told the founder of the top, no-expenses-spared Gastronomy club in Japan he wasn't good enough to eat Erina's food. Like, what?

I'm waiting for him to reveal himself as one of these extremely overprotective dad.

upandaway

There's plenty of times in history when the top few didn't want the masses coming in and having a share of the fun, he's basically mad that high cuisine isn't a secret club anymore.

Honestly Erina showed the same attitude before, just on a lower level, so it's easy to see where it's coming from.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't see what's so senseless about it. He has obscenely high standards and feel only talented artists can and should be allowed to appreciate other talented artists. For an industry that thrives on perception in the upper echelons, where ingredients are hyped to heaven not because they taste genuinely good but because they're expensive or rare, it's not an unreasonable assertion.

God knows not all people involved in haute cuisine are actually capable chefs and gastronomes themselves. It's a hobby for most of them, like every other luxury good. He's essentially calling everyone on the room posers. Just because you have a lot of money and you're deeply involved in food business doesn't necessarily mean you have talent for the art of it.

I thought the shade being thrown at the curry sisters was pretty well reasoned. To have such high standards for food, yet being involved in producing instant curry mixes, is pretty contradictory. Like if the CEO of Nong Shim pretended to be an authority on ramen.

bobohoro

Shokugeki No Soma 133

Am I the only one who believes that Soma and Azami will actually get along, bully Erina and kill a bottle of wine together?

Mamoru Asana is her name.

I'm ok with this.

Goodnight Punpun 1-12

Enjoying this quite a bit so far. It does a really excellent job at capturing the feelings and general mood of adolescence. Like everything else by Asano, the art is absolutely gorgeous. I love the way he draws smiling and crying faces-- they perfectly convey those emotions. His composition is very impressive too. He can set the tone very well through his paneling and it reminds me a lot of Mike Mignola's art in that regard.

I know it's only going to get darker from here on out so this'll be interesting.

And with this as well.
Enjoy the trip.

Haly

How come haly is defending a villain

Haly are you a bad guy
Maybe I am!

We'll see if he's just talk or if he will back up his words during his interaction with Soma. If Soma is a worthwhile cook, then he must admit it however grudgingly, kind of like Shino. But if he writes off Yukihara like Erina did then he'd be the one posing.

I would say Azami's attitude is a more pure version of Erina's attitude. She thinks only haute cuisine is worthwhile, but he thinks even haute cuisine is below his standards and envisions a school of artists for artists. Her thinking is still rooted in the business-centric policy of the Totsuki Group, whereas he spurns it as a blemish on the craft of cooking. For all the curriculum's obscene standards, they're still training a generation of restaurateurs, businessmen, and entrepreneurs, aka profitable ventures. I think Azami has very little regard for this side of the academy and only cares about cooking as art.

He will clash with Soma, who believes that cooking should be shared with everyone, in a way similar to how Soma clashes with Erina, but not exactly. Erina creates arbitrary barriers based on prestige and money. Azami creates them based on talent and vague concepts of worthiness.

Angry Grimace

There's plenty of times in history when the top few didn't want the masses coming in and having a share of the fun, he's basically mad that high cuisine isn't a secret club anymore.

Honestly Erina showed the same attitude before, just on a lower level, so it's easy to see where it's coming from.

But Kita's Gastronomy club IS a secret high society club!

Angry Grimace

Also, maybe Joichiro is the real dad and Azami just stole Erina from the crib because he's Ax Crazy

It totally makes sense.

Maybe I am!

We'll see if he's just talk or if he will back up his words during his interaction with Soma. If Soma is a worthwhile cook, then he must admit it however grudgingly, kind of like Shino. But if he writes off Yukihara like Erina did then he'd be the one posing.

I would say Azami's attitude is a more pure version of Erina's attitude. She thinks only haute cuisine is worthwhile, but he thinks even haute cuisine is below his standards and envisions a school of artists for artists. Her thinking is still rooted in the business-centric policy of the Totsuki Group, whereas he spurns it as a blemish on the craft of cooking. For all the curriculum's obscene standards, they're still training a generation of restaurateurs, businessmen, and entrepreneurs, aka profitable ventures. I think Azami has very little regard for this side of the academy and only cares about cooking as art.

He will clash with Soma, who believes that cooking should be shared with everyone, in a way similar to how Soma clashes with Erina, but not exactly. Erina creates arbitrary barriers based on prestige and money. Azami creates them based on talent and vague concepts of worthiness.

I don't think Erina really thinks normal people food is worthless - she just thinks Soma's a d-bag for not deferring to her the way she's used to (and giving her an foodorgasm right after he met her).

Haly

I don't think Erina really thinks normal people food is worthless

It's literally the foundation of their relationship (and conflict).
Maybe she doesn't feel like that anymore but who knows? She gets zero development or any substantial interaction with Soma so it's anyone's guess.

Angry Grimace

It's literally the foundation of their relationship (and conflict).

Maybe she doesn't feel like that anymore but who knows? She gets zero development or any substantial interaction with Soma so it's anyone's guess.

I think her problem is that she just thinks its completely normal versions of poor-people food. I mean, its not like Soma is actually making poor-people food in any real way. I mean, she seemed okay with bento, which despite her protestation, totally is poor people food, as is most of the other foods they used in the Election arc.

At the very least, I don't think she actually dislikes poor people themselves the way Azami apparently does. :lol

Soma's totally sitting with the dad.

Then going to shit-talk him tremendously, leading to son of Joichiro reveal, who was totally involved with Azami and their combined expulsions which will lead to Erina's panties getting soaked until they realize they're related by the same mother!?

LMAO I remember this theory way back

I'd just love that twist if they where siblings

Angry Grimace

LMAO I remember this theory way back

I'd just love that twist if they where siblings

As discussed above, its not actually possible because Erina and Soma are the same age.

I prefer my theory, which is that Azami is a ghoul. I mean, he totally looks like one and we didn't really get a good look at his eyes. It explains everything.

As discussed above, its not actually possible because Erina and Soma are the same age.

I prefer my theory, which is that Azami is a ghoul. I mean, he totally looks like one and we didn't really get a good look at his eyes. It explains everything.

well Soma's dad could be the adoptive father

right? the mother really loved him instead of Erina's Pop and they eloped

or split DNA blah blah two Dads blah blah SHONEN SCIENCE blah blah Jump

dramatis

I'm not interested in who's who's whatever in whatever relationship.

What food is Erina serving? The manga goes on and on about her talent and stuff but I don't think she's all that special or interesting in the cooking department.

Edit: Oh, and I hope we get a dessert arc sometime.

What food is Erina serving? The manga goes on and on about her talent and stuff but I don't think she's all that special or interesting in the cooking department.

agreed the only thing we saw from her was that Egg Benedict and Shokugeki dish but those were both restricted dishes were she was sent to cook a specific type of meal

We really don't know what her speciality is other then her tongue which can distinguish food to the highest digree

Angry Grimace

well Soma's dad could be the adoptive father

right? the mother really loved him instead of Erina's Pop and they eloped

or split DNA blah blah two Dads blah blah SHONEN SCIENCE blah blah Jump

I think you guys are giving manga a little too much credit to assume there's gonna be super secret food science which somehow resulted in long lost twins.

Edit: Oh, and I hope we get a dessert arc sometime.
agreed the only thing we saw from her was that Egg Benedict and Shokugeki dish but those were both restricted dishes were she was sent to cook a specific type of meal

We really don't know what her speciality is other then her tongue which can distinguish food to the highest digree

Her specialty is expensive food (seriously, the profile said her specialty is "regal-themed dishes"). We've seen her cook twice, she made Eggs Benedict and some kind of lobster ravioli.

I think you guys are giving manga a little too much credit to assume there's gonna be super secret food science which somehow resulted in long lost twins.
but what about

Blah, Blah Mixing Cooking DNA, blah, blah God Tongue, Blah, Blah Perfect Chef, Blah, Blah Twins, Blah, Soma's Scar, Blah, Blah Crab Hairstyle, Blah Shonen Jump, Blah, Blah 3rd missing child, Blah Blah, Final Battle

dramatis

Her specialty is expensive food (seriously, the profile said her specialty is "regal-themed dishes"). We've seen her cook twice, she made Eggs Benedict and some kind of lobster ravioli.
That's kind of lame.

I mean "expensive food" is a classification based on prices, not on region, style, ingredient type, or anything. You can have expensive fish and cheap fish. You can have expensive apples and cheap apples. Classification by price doesn't really seem like a cooking specialty.

Also I just realized that because the tournament happened we can actually have power-level tier discussion for Shokugeki. (I'm pretty slow.)

cake wars!
Well, desserts don't always have to be cakes.

Angry Grimace

That's kind of lame.

I mean "expensive food" is a classification based on prices, not on region, style, ingredient type, or anything. You can have expensive fish and cheap fish. You can have expensive apples and cheap apples. Classification by price doesn't really seem like a cooking specialty.

Also I just realized that because the tournament happened we can actually have power-level tier discussion for Shokugeki. (I'm pretty slow.)

I mean, "regal-themed dishes" is probably intentionally vague so that she doesn't get locked into seafood or curry or something the way Kurokiba and Hayama are. Pretty much anything can fall under that umbrella. The way I interpret it is basically "high-class (expensive) food."

Soma and Erina are like the only two characters in the school without a very well-defined gimmick, probably because those gimmicks put them at an obvious advantage/disadvantage in shokugeki. I mean, Kurokiba doesn't do anything but seafood, he's probably gonna lose a beef stew shokugeki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom