• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're asking the wrong questions.

The right question...

Is why are you still reading this?

Because I hate myself

How can anyone drop it, surely anyone would be at least willing to stick with it to find out who, truly, will Ichijo end up with.

See normally for these kinds of series I'm content to watch from a distance and laugh when the inevitable fandom melt down happens ie the reaction to the ending of Oriemo. The only time I inquire into what's happening in the story is when people are freaking melting down over the complete stupid shit like what happened in Fuuka or any of the scenes in Nisekoi I've been mad about that I hard heard about in the past.

Prison School

bO4gpo1.png

I finally read this thing.
I think I need three or four retries in total. The first one years ago, I dropped it after 10 chapters or so. The second maybe when you started talking a lot about it? The third when the anime started and I thought it was decent so maybe the manga was good but eh... I decided to continue just the anime. And the final one, where it finally "clicked" for me, a few days ago when I was starting to lose interest in the anime, thought I could see good moments in it like the evolution of ass-tits and the chairman.

I said before the pace of anime was a bit fast but overall fine, but now I have to correct myself. While the comedy parts are fine, the other side of Prison School is pure suspense, tension. Those parts can't be rushed, or are lost.
And it isn't only that, somehow the anime can't get to make believe the viewer that their fights are real, that their matters are of life or death, it makes the viewer see through the lie that is fiction and how nothing matters because whatever, it's all a silly comedy and the protagonists will somehow get out of their current situation or if they get out, again it doesn't matter because the story will dictate a new stupid situation for them to be involved. The manga at least from chapter 60 onwards is in better hands and the author successfully blind the reader into believing their usually moronic dramas are relevant.

So yeah, the second arc (and onwards) of the manga is better than the first arc, as people said. Better character building, better tension, some really funny scenes and others that were incredibly hot.

Which is funny. One of the problems in the beginning was the fanservice. I mean, literally you had characters that half of the time were talking vaginas. There was a dialog bubble in a vignette but the only part of the character you could see was the vagina. It was so in the face of the readers that it really seemed like a twisted parody of normal fanservice, with the author saying "I know what you want, you damn perverts, so here it is". Or the vicepres in a pool of sweat, that shit was gross.
So how did he fix it? Eliminated fanservice? Nope, it's still there, of course. But, there is a difference. It feels less gratuitous. The funny part is that if anything, there are even hotter, lewder scenes than the ones in the first chapters, that were filled with tits and asses and vaginas, but in a inconsequential way, pure filler. Now the lewdest parts are integral to the plot, or are an important part of the character relationships, they matter. Apart of course, that after 190 chapters I suppose we have taken a liking to the crazy ensemble of protagonists.
Like, I really cared for Risa when she was trying to connect with Andre, but couldn't reach him!

Mmm I get the feeling I'm forgetting to add something...
Hana best girl.

Prison School 190
"I feel like I'm not wearing anything!" Well, I guessed it...

Revo

Re:Marina 36-38

Literally the worst friends. Now tricking him to go on a date just for their own benefit even though he's already in a relationship (alhough he should have told marina about the confession and then left the place, but that would be going against his character).

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School

I finally read this thing.
I think I need three or four retries in total. The first one years ago, I dropped it after 10 chapters or so. The second maybe when you started talking a lot about it? The third when the anime started and I thought it was decent so maybe the manga was good but eh... I decided to continue just the anime. And the final one, where it finally "clicked" for me, a few days ago when I was starting to lose interest in the anime, thought I could see good moments in it like the evolution of ass-tits and the chairman.

(...)

Mmm I get the feeling I'm forgetting to add something...
Hana best girl.

Glad that you finallly came around. It's indeed quite brilliant in how the fanservice feels so well-integrated~

Marche90

Prison school 190

"It's like I'm wearing nothing at all, nothing at all..."

Oh, wait, she really wasn't wearing nothing at all. GJ, Kiyoshi.

Kono Shima ni wa Midara de Jaaku na Mono ga Sumu 16

Dude SNAPPED! I'm also wondering if the manga is finally reaching its end, once either they escape or the MC becomes the... whatever figure he's supposed to become at the island.

Revo

Kanojyo wa Rokurokubi 7

Back window seat girl is the real MC
and those were pretty stylized guys on the first pages

phaze

You haven't seen anything yet....

It's kinda amazing that the manga always manages to make you go What, this is too extreme! only to top that a couple of chapters later by going even further. Both in terms of action and ecchi. There were moments where I seriously considered to stop reading it, because some scenes are just too much, only to look back later and laugh about my naive innocence. It's all downhill for your morality from here on out.

selfavatarquote

Tokyo Ghoul :re 44

Sasaki, you may not want Kaneki back but unfortunately for you, you are the main protagonist in "Parallels: The Manga". And that means you're only 19 chapters away from another, complete meltdown.

Shuu started acting like a sympathetic human being a bit too late. RIP Tsukiyama family.

Wonder what happened to Kanae. Did Eto insert her own kagune into him or something ?

selfavatarquote

Tokyo Ghoul :re 44

Sasaki, you may not want Kaneki back but unfortunately for you, you are the main protagonist in "Parallels: The Manga". And that means you're only 19 chapters away from another, complete meltdown.

Shuu started acting like a sympathetic human being a bit too late. RIP Tsukiyama family.

Wonder what happened to Kanae. Did Eto insert her own kagune into him or something ?

Never would I thought to see the day where Tsukiyama gets this much actual character development.

All he wanted was friends.

The Reincarnated One Doesn't Want to Cheat 01

JyXkgIbl.jpg

young village girl discovers after getting hit in the head by a ball that she recovers her past self's memories and easily gets into magic school. but she doesn't want to cheat with her new found abilities

newfound power and doesn't want to use them, well that's new at least

Revo

Ballroom e Youkoso 20

Ooh another dance competition
wonder how long it'll take him to get the girl to be his partner

Zweizer

Banned
Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatte Iru Darou ka 4koma - Days of Goddess ch11-14.5 (End)

Well, this ended. Kind of a shame, as it was actually more enjoyable than the main series.

Numb

T-REX na Kanojo 1-15

Not at all what i expected. Will be awesome when she starts to develop and realize her emotions.
She is simple but not enough to not see when someone likes another in the case of the dumbass. Also what a dumbass he is.

Fairy Tail 452

This will be good. All out punching on the horizon.
On Acnologia's side since he is such a rad dude.
Feels like there should be a heavy metal theme playing whenever he shows up.

Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta? ch.9 - 11
A new player's joined the main heroes, and it's causing a bit of divisiveness between the group.

Also this manga's making very little effort to try and hide who the identities of these different online characters are. Already figured out Nekohime was the homeroom teach, the new one's definitely Shuu's real life friend.

Anyway, up to date on this now. Some fun character interactions all around, especially coming from Ako and the Guild Master, though again my general indifference to MMOs has me continuing to gloss over any of the dialogue that has to do with the game they're playing. A bit of a mixed bag, but the stuff I like about it I REALLY like so I'm sticking with it.

Thanks again for the rec, Zweizer.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Fairy Tail 452- that was actually a pretty cool way of introducing the villains. Like that split narration.

latest Mob Psycho- Mob your so cool, but clearly this is a man that can only be reached by the greatest sensei in the world

Latest Spirit Circle- How did I miss this? Anyway, it's great. I love the way the writer throws off expectations literally all the time. Another one of those great moments. Seriously, I think this is my favorite running manga right now.

Kyuur

Tokyo Ghoul: re 44

tLLrmZs.png

Fantastic chapter. So going by Kanou's terminology 'Floppy', did Amon end up being the protoype Owl experiment?

He was talking to Yasuhisa there by the next few panels, so it's a bit confusing. The situation seems like it might be reversed here though, given how strong Amon seems to be. Tachikawa is no slouch, but neither were the girls.

Poor Aliza. :(

Tokyo Ghoul: re 44

tLLrmZs.png

Fantastic chapter. So going by Kanou's terminology 'Floppy', did Amon end up being the protoype Owl experiment?

He was talking to Yasuhisa there by the next few panels, so it's a bit confusing. The situation seems like it might be reversed here though, given how strong Amon seems to be. Tachikawa is no slouch, but neither were the girls.

Poor Aliza. :(

Seidou ended up being the successful Owl while Amon ended up being a failure. It's pretty ironic considering how crazy strong Amon was as a Investigator while Seidou was weak, but the former ended up a failure.

I'll do a full write up tomorrow especially since it was a really good chapter from a character development standpoint.

Umibozu

Tsugumomo 1-75
Series has been okay so far.
Hopefully the author doesn't use the 2 years and 300 some odd days until the seal is broken to milk the series until its conclusion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi ~69

How on Earth can both Chitoge and Onodera be this dense about each others feelings towards Raku... And how did neither of them work up the courage to admit they like him. Also why would Raku even entertain the idea that Onodera gave him obligation chocolate.

As far as I can tell, teenagers in Japan are literally insane

Zweizer

Banned
Husky and Medley in the OP? :D Since when?
I wish I liked any other romance manga as much as this one.

Have you read Tamen De Gushi (Their Story)? It's a web-manhua, but I think you'll like it.

Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta? ch.9 - 11

Anyway, up to date on this now. Some fun character interactions all around, especially coming from Ako and the Guild Master, though again my general indifference to MMOs has me continuing to gloss over any of the dialogue that has to do with the game they're playing. A bit of a mixed bag, but the stuff I like about it I REALLY like so I'm sticking with it.

Thanks again for the rec, Zweizer.

Aside from the yandere it's a pretty boring series overall, but the yandere really makes it worth it. Glad that you're enjoying it~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom