• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
why did i read this whyyy

I don't even post in this thread that often and I know anything Zweizer recommends to read, either:

1. Don't
2. Read a synopis first with no images
3. Still don't after reading synopsis

That's the only way not to end up on a watch list. XD

Zweizer

Banned
I don't even post in this thread that often and I know anything Zweizer recommends to read, either:

1. Don't
2. Read a synopis first with no images
3. Still don't after reading synopsis

That's the only way not to end up on a watch list. XD

How rude!

There is nothing wrong with expanding one's horizons!

Wow surprised Koganegawa got on this instead of the usual suspects. Nice.
CPi6z5-WsAATK4I.png:large

Droplet

The only thing that's a shame about Kiriko Nananan is her art. While unique and stands out from the rest, the facial character design tend to be a little samey. For me, what makes or breaks for this kind of manga are the dialogues and they are stellar here. Pensive mood that are expressed in a natural manner.

Yeah, I was wondering whether or not I should be bringing up the faces. I had a huge problem distinguishing the two main characters until one of them cut her hair, and I still had issues remembering their names even as I was nearing the end of it. I don't really like complaining about art styles, and the faces are a pretty big facet of it so I didn't really want to bring it up, but some variation in facial shape would have been a nice.

Revo

Fire Brigade of Flames 0

I like it. Can be different but still fighty.
I love the MC's awkward face.
also by soul eater mangaka so it'll probably be weird enough

Fire Brigade of Flames 0

Interesting Plot... I wonder how he will expand upon this fire-fighter theme

The author still loves his crosses and overly big/large leaning things (like their clothes and helmets) mixed with steampunk/over the top fairytale Christian/edo like Japan style

At times I thought it was still in the same universe and this was a spinoff until I had to constantly reassure myself

Again a Interesting first chapter and I will continue to read this series from now on

Sometimes I feel sorry for DTL

I mean he ships all these people in WSJ and yet we know that it isn't going to happen.... the closest thing he will get is those promotional posters and/or merchandise that try to pray on shipping fans to make profit.

I mean WSJ is never going to make it happen.... we literally have a overly flamboyant character like Sunny in Toriko and yet that dude is apparently straight...
Things like Soma and Takumi will never reach print/publication.... I am sorry to say this DTL

I sound like a douche bag in my last post... I apologize and digress

Been reading a bunch of WSJ volumes and saw some similar stuff that made me think out loud

Droplet

Is Akai Mi Hajiketa only 1 volume?

2 volumes.

I mean he ships all these people in WSJ and yet we know that it isn't going to happen.... the closest thing he will get is those promotional posters and/or merchandise that try to pray on shipping fans to make profit.

I mean WSJ is never going to make it happen.... we literally have a overly flamboyant character like Sunny in Toriko and yet that dude is apparently straight...
Things like Soma and Takumi will never reach print/publication.... I am sorry to say this DTL

I feel more sad that you're predicting WSJ will never reach comfort levels high enough to have a single gay couple. That's just incredibly depressing in itself.

CrazyDude

He has to strike gold one of these days.

2 volumes.

I feel more sad that you're predicting WSJ will never reach comfort levels high enough to have a single gay couple. That's just incredibly depressing in itself.

I doubt Weekly Shonen Jump will ever have a gay protagonist. Gay couples? Maybe. Gay lead, unlikely

Also reading some OP volumes and I need to say were the F**** is Luffy's growth.... other then deciding to not run away from things the dude is the exact same guy from chapter 1
Nothing has changed even with some dramatic stuff happening in his life.... He should've tooken that Fleet thing seriouslt instead of just being is same old goofy self... I mean I know he knows about the responsibility it bears but he needs to say some stuff with a straight face

Him and Naruto are the same overly open minded characters
For goodness sake Ichigo is more realistic then these two and then you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better MC like Kenshin and Gon

New World needs to slap this dude in the face... Oda was hyping up this area for so long and the only thing scary about it is the people residing in it.... I mean that doesn't mean the Area itself is a new dangerous frontier it is just the people that are there
This might as well be East Blue with the Yonko's moving in... They already have a knock of Alabasta

Oda sensei you disappoint me with some things

Luffy as a MC needs to improve.... he is initially great and there are a ton of serious moment in Part 1 but he needs to grow

New things Oda.... give me new bloody things... your turning into a more creative Akira Toriyama (as in following a safe formula )

Can not the same be said for most of the ships in any WSJ series?

Also reading some OP volumes and I need to say were the F**** is Luffy's growth.... other then deciding to not run away from things the dude is the exact same guy from chapter 1
Nothing has changed even with some dramatic stuff happening in his life.... He should've tooken that Fleet thing seriouslt instead of just being is same old goofy self... I mean I know he knows about the responsibility it bears but he needs to say some stuff with a straight face

For goodness sake Ichigo is more realistic then these two and then you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better MC like Kenshin and Gon

New World needs to slap this dude in the face... Oda was hyping up this area for so long and the only thing scary about it is the people residing in it.... I mean that doesn't mean the Area itself is a new dangerous frontier it is just the people that are there
This might as well be East Blue with the Yonko's moving in... They already have a knock of Alabasta

Naruto is a completely different type of character than Luffy if you look past an incredibly shallow surface level.

And Ichigo is an awful protagonist whose personality largely shifts and is super inconsistent as the plot demands.

And Luffy isn't meant to be developing over the course of the story. He is for the most part a completely developed character from day one. That's the type of series One Piece is. And the whole point of the timeskip was that Luffy needed to get to a strong level so his crew wouldn't be wiped out again. The danger is greater, but Luffy is also much, much stronger than he was pre-timeskip.

I fucking hate the idea that Luffy should stop being a goofy fun character. Naruto's character development to "more serious" honestly took away most of what made him actually likeable and made him really boring and cookie cutter

He has to strike gold one of these days.

maybe with one of the new series

Can not the same be said for most of the ships in any WSJ series?
well yes but sometimes the other girl might win by a slim chance
Naruto is a completely different type of character than Luffy if you look past an incredibly shallow surface level.

And Ichigo is an awful protagonist whose personality largely shifts and is super inconsistent as the plot demands.

And Luffy isn't meant to be developing over the course of the story. He is for the most part a completely developed character from day one. That's the type of series One Piece is. And the whole point of the timeskip was that Luffy needed to get to a strong level so his crew wouldn't be wiped out again. The danger is greater, but Luffy is also much, much stronger than he was pre-timeskip.

I fucking hate the idea that Luffy should stop being a goofy fun character. Naruto's character development to "more serious" honestly took away most of what made him actually likeable and made him really boring and cookie cutter

I don't mean to replace Luffy's main traits... what I mean is to see Luffy adding new traits to his already old set

this is a grand adventure him learning new things along the way is important

and I also hate Naruto as MC anyway and him turning into an adult didn't really change me since this dude was the repetitive talk no jutsu always find a way character that just become overly repetitive and not really realistic.... and then there is Ichigo being 0 goal man with any full character but he seems more grounded then the two...not interesting but more realistic and believable

My point is that Luffy needs to add some mental development to himself
Showcase that he can become a "giving orders" leader that adapts to the crazy environment around him.

Other characters in OP (even his crew) adapt change and showcase real choices when stuff arises

Luffy just feels like the kid who is always going crazy.... that is why for me at least the other captains in OP are more interesting to me then Luffy when it comes to character....

the whole HST has MC problems

well yes but sometimes the other girl might win by a slim chance

I don't mean to replace Luffy's main traits... what I mean is to see Luffy adding new traits to his already old set

this is a grand adventure him learning new things along the way is important

and I also hate Naruto as MC anyway and him turning into an adult didn't really change me since this dude was the repetitive talk no jutsu always find a way character that just become overly repetitive and not really realistic.... and then there is Ichigo being 0 goal man with any full character but he seems more grounded then the two...not interesting but more realistic and believable

My point is that Luffy needs to add some mental development to himself
Showcase that he can become a "giving orders" leader that adapts to the crazy environment around him.

Other characters in OP (even his crew) adapt change and showcase real choices when stuff arises

Luffy just feels like the kid who is always going crazy.... that is why for me at least the other captains in OP are more interesting to me then Luffy when it comes to character....

the whole HST has MC problems
So what do you want to change then? His recklessness? Make him smarter? That kind of runs counter to the point of his whole character. Luffy as a character is all about freedom. He wants to do what he wants, when he wants, and the consequences can come later. Luffy isn't going to be laying out complex plans because he's an idiot. But he recognizes that, which is why he has his other crewmates come up with stuff to compensate. But Luffy's entire character is all about freedom and not being restrained by societal norms and traditions. I mean, yeah that comes with downsides, but that's why Blackbeard exists, to embody the negative aspects of Luffy's core values.

And Ichigo isn't really realistic at all. Being too understated, vague and undefined isn't really more realistic that being exaggerated. Ichigo is way too all over the place in terms of personality in general, since his personality can shift dramatically at the drop of the hat when Kubo wants it to

So what do you want to change then? His recklessness? Make him smarter? That kind of runs counter to the point of his whole character. Luffy as a character is all about freedom. He wants to do what he wants, when he wants, and the consequences can come later. Luffy isn't going to be laying out complex plans because he's an idiot. But he recognizes that, which is why he has his other crewmates come up with stuff to compensate. But Luffy's entire character is all about freedom and not being restrained by societal norms and traditions. I mean, yeah that comes with downsides, but that's why Blackbeard exists, to embody the negative aspects of Luffy's core values.
idk He loves freedom but also having some mature like attitude about things
like the risks some stuff have

Rayliegh, Shanks, etc... love freedom and yet when needed showcase the responsibility of it

I don't need a big change just some small touches towards his character

frankly he is more of a better MC then Ichigo (if you consider that a MC) and Naruto (of which I have a ton of annoyance towards some other people too in that series)

And Ichigo isn't really realistic at all. Being too understated, vague and undefined isn't really more realistic that being exaggerated. Ichigo is way too all over the place in terms of personality in general, since his personality can shift dramatically at the drop of the hat when Kubo wants it to
Ichigo by far isn't close to Luffy as a character let alone a MC

Ichigo is like Vanilla and like you said he is so plain that Kubo can use him to what ever means

what I took from this example since other WSJ MC from some certain series (not all) are in another league is that due to Ichigo's plainness he seems more believable then Luffy since Luffy to overly bombastic... I know OP is the number 1 series and yadda yadda but imho it has faults

Luffy to me at least is the least developed character in his crew.... he started off strong and was already developed compared to some others but after 800 chapters he is starting to adress things with the same matter as he always does which makes the series repetitive when Oda adds the formula arc structure

Luffy is a sovereign individual. He does not care whether he lives or dies, just that he tried. He places almost no importance on ideas of right and wrong, just the actions of individuals. This is why Oda never gives him thought bubbles, because he's defined by his actions. When Luffy says "I'm gonna kick your ass," then you damn sure better expect an ass whupping.

And it is his actions that drive the plot forward, necessitating that his personality remain generally the same for the story to work. When a character in One Piece asks "How the hell did he pull this off?!?!" You know the answer.

Because it's Luffy, that's what he does.

UQ! Holder 84 - 87

Catching up. Forgot how entertaining and awesome Tota-nii is. Was a bit more interesting in him getting a hi ougi than with the time traveling female interest. Though at least in exchange for that we get more Santa time.

Luffy is a sovereign individual. He does not care whether he lives or dies, just that he tried. He places almost no importance on ideas of right and wrong, just the actions of the individuals. This is why Oda never gives him thought bubbles, because he's defined by his actions. When Luffy says "I'm gonna kick your ass," then you damn sure better expect an ass whupping.

And it is his actions that drive the plot forward, necessitating that his personality remain generally the same for the story to work. When a character in One Piece asks "How the hell did he pull this off?!?!" You know the answer.

Because it's Luffy, that's what he does.

I guess so.... also that "Because it's Luffy" line gave me bad reminders of the infamous "because she is Erza" line in FT

Look at it this way, you bring up Kenshin and Gon, both great protagonists, but examine their role in the story.

In terms of their setting, they are just as wrapped up in their settings as anyone else in their mangas, only they are the ones we follow. Sure they are portrayed as exceptional individuals, but that is what allows them to overcome the challenges they face, and as a result they develop as a result of those challenges. Most of the time, the threats they face have sprung up for the very first time in their worlds.

Then examine Luffy, and you realize that the world of One Piece moves and shakes around what he does. It starts off small, in the East Blue Saga, and then balloons into something greater. The challenges Luffy face don't come after him, rather it is his unique personality that causes him to become a living monkey wrench (heh) into an established status quo that existed YEARS prior to the start of the story.

Instead of the development of Luffy as a character, One Piece is the story of a world that develops around the character of Monkey D. Luffy.

I still refuse to accept that Kishimoto penned that ending to Naruto, the whole part two was basically Kishimotos Naruto version of Twilight with Sasuke as Jacob and Naruto as Edward (though with Bella not existing). At least they kissed x3 times.

Beelzebub did have OgaFuru as canon. That was like the whole conclusion and point of the epilogue.
Remember when Tamura wrote Ogafuru fanfic and called it the epilogue?

Kunieda has short hair which symbolizes moving on from past love
Oga and Furuichi were ruling Ishiyama together
Furuichi is a total bishounen who, despite his canon personality, doesn’t have a single perverse moment the entire chapter
He doesn’t have a single fangirl and all his fans are male
The fanboys gush about how even though Furuichi is their leader, he’s still holding the torch for Oga to return
Hilda gets like 3 panels of screentime
Furuichi’s speech about Oga almost reads like a love confession
Oga talked about Furuichi so much it becomes Baby Beels second word ever and has a shit-eating grin to prove it[/IMG]

Droplet

it might.... but not with the already established series

Hm...I actually thought some part of D. Gray-Man that like...sort of, kind of...did? But it was also not because past lives something something? It was really hard for me to understand what was going on.

Has Jump not had any lesbian couples yet? I feel like that would probably end up being the first step if it hasn't been taken already.

Look at it this way, you bring up Kenshin and Gon, both great protagonists, but examine their role in the story.

In terms of their setting, they are just as wrapped up in their settings as anyone else in their mangas, only they are the ones we follow. Sure they are portrayed as exceptional individuals, but that is what allows them to overcome the challenges they face, and as a result they develop as a result of those challenges. Most of the time, the threats they face have sprung up for the very first time in their worlds.

Then examine Luffy, and you realize that the world of One Piece moves and shakes around what he does. It starts off small, in the East Blue Saga, and then balloons into something greater. The challenges Luffy face don't come after him, rather it is his unique personality that causes him to become a living monkey wrench (heh) into an established status quo that existed YEARS prior to the start of the story.

Instead of the development of Luffy as a character, One Piece is the story of a world that develops around the character of Monkey D. Luffy.
yeah I get what you are saying

rather for Luffy it is the people that he influenced that will manage the future world rather them Luffy taking the respsonsiblity
I still refuse to accept that Kishimoto penned that ending to Naruto, the whole part two was basically Kishimotos Naruto version of Twilight with Sasuke as Jacob and Naruto as Edward (though with Bella not existing). At least they kissed x3 times.

Beelzebub did have OgaFuru as canon. That was like the whole conclusion and point of the epilogue.
I don't even think Kishi knows what he was even doing in the long run....

Also a bro-ship is common place in WSJ... the author might have some intention with his/her work for all we know but as a published part of the work it never reaches a conclusion

open ended things are just that.... open ended we don't know what the author thinks and untill they say it
Hm...I actually thought some part of D. Gray-Man that like...sort of, kind of...did? But it was also not because past lives something something? It was really hard for me to understand what was going on.

Has Jump not had any lesbian couples yet? I feel like that would probably end up being the first step if it hasn't been taken already.

idk... maybe some humour scenes but I really don't know

Luffy as a MC needs to improve.... he is initially great and there are a ton of serious moment in Part 1 but he needs to grow

New things Oda.... give me new bloody things... your turning into a more creative Akira Toriyama (as in following a safe formula )

Blame yourself for expecting any decent MC development from most series in Shonen Jump. As much as I find Luffy entertaining at times his development hasn't been great especially after the timeskip.

Here's a chart that pretty much explains D-Gray Man's plot

Droplet

idk... maybe some humour scenes but I really don't know

:(

I know this is not really my place to vent, but one of my friends growing up was a huge fan of Shonen Jump and really seemed to look up to the characters. He hid his sexuality for the longest time, and I think he was ashamed of it as well as just trying to keep it from people. It's far too late for me to be saying anything about this now, but I really wish that at some point his heroes could have been there in some form to tell him that it was okay. Of course I understand that there are barriers to this and that it's possible it just won't ever happen, but it's sad to think that there are a lot more kids out there like that.

What does it say? All I'm seeing is big letters telling me it's never going to finish.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

I think D. Gray-Man counts, although it's a bit shaky. Alma probably did love Kanda, though I'm not sure if it was as romantic as his past life. When Alma dies, both he and his past incarnation walk away hand in hand, so it wasn't as if she was in complete control, anyway.

I don't think Jump had any lesbian couples yet, but it's not as if it's unprecedented in popular Japanese media, if Madoka and I think Utena are anything to go by?

tumblr_mupy4hOVBJ1rc7zl1o1_500.jpg

What does it say? All I'm seeing is big letters telling me it's never going to finish.

How Millienium Earl separated.

Also Past! Allen is behind everything. He's the mastermind.

I think D. Gray-Man counts, although it's a bit shaky. I think Alma did love Kanda, though I'm not sure if it was as romantic as his past life. When Alma dies, both he and his past incarnation walk away hand in hand anyway, so it wasn't as if she was in complete control, anyway.

I don't think Jump had any lesbian couples yet, but it's not as if it's unprecedented in popular Japanese media, if Madoka and I think Utena are anything to go by?

But does it really count because Alma was the women Kanda loved in the past. So it's a bit hard to pinpoint if he loved the current Alma or just saw him as a friend that had the memories of his love.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
But does it really count because Alma was the women Kanda loved in the past.
Which is why I say it's shaky. Before they remember their pasts, Alma and Kanda were just reluctant, but dear friends. I couldn't say they would be as desperate for each other if they never remembered anything.

Their relationship is pretty messy that way.

Tomo-chan 154
Things are preceding too smoothly. My money is on Jun farts and proposes a farting contest with Tomo in the karaoke booth . I don't put anything past Jun and his intentional denseness at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom