• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nanatsu no taizai - 142

Elaine became a Yandere? Maybe?
King felt her presences most likely is on the move.... both King and Jericho are likely targets

lol I just want to see Escanor

Assassination Classroom 157

But its like a repeat of the Itona arc, except not a student. I was thinking Shiro (Yanagisawa) would get the tentacles himself. Oh well, Korosensei vs his former student will be awesome to see.

Shouta

Soma 136
They're pretty much setting up Soma being some kind of hero here. I think he'll refuse (indirectly) but provide a supporting role or work behind the scenes instead of saving her outright.

Also, what is with this manga having its males change their surname out of convenience? They did it with Soma's dad and they're doing it with Erina's dad. At this point, you believe there is some kind of connection between these two as to why Azami is the way he is and why Jouichiro left the academy and somehow became Erina's chef for a while. I was expecting a Soma's dad backstory but it seems everything in the past is tied to it so they're keeping it under wraps.

Anyway, we seem to be heading for an Erina arc so the past Elite 10 backstory can wait.

I don't think it will happen in this arc but I'm guessing at the end of this, Erina will see Soma in a better light or she gets a hint on how similar Soma's cooking is with his dad.

They're great together but we all know they won't pair up in the end since Kiyoshi is too dense to take a hint and Chiyo's still in the way.

Azami was banished and Jouichiro probbaly loved his wife so much that he took her name. That's the big missing piece, Yukihira's mom, lol.

ryan13ts

Nanatsu no taizai - 142

Elaine became a Yandere? Maybe?
King felt her presences most likely is on the move.... both King and Jericho are likely targets

lol I just want to see Escanor

Seriously, I just want them to move on past this Elaine stuff and get to Escanor. After getting to see how stupidly awesome he was in that Vampire's side story, I can't wait to see him in the main story. His split personality thing could make for some great humor.

And am the only one that consistently feels creeped out by the Ban/Elaine thing? Yeah, she's over 100 years old and Ban's in his 40's, but it doesn't help that Elaine looks like a 12 year old making out with a guy in his apparent mid 20's. Showing her 'naked' at every opportunity doesn't make anything better either.

bobohoro

Negima ~15

Shota-con comedy zzz when does this get good?

I found the beginning rather bad. Then it turns into one pretty badass and engaging shounen battle manga. Sadly, it went to shit again in the end. But those couple dozen of awesome chapters in the middle are worth a read.

I should start/finish another series, somehow my browser tabs for future reads are getting out of hand. On a glance I have:

• Ratman
  • Seeking Death
  • Takemitsu Zamurai
  • Re:Marina
  • Sidonia No Kishi
bookmarked for future reading. Anyone want to recommend what to read/not read?

Or I could start Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa.

Revo

• Ratman
  • Seeking Death
  • Takemitsu Zamurai
  • Sidonia No Kishi

ratman is alrightish, gets dumb at the end. Beginning-middleish is probably still worth.
re:marina is super dumb, ending is lol, if you really enjoy super onee-san and can stomach all the dumbness then maybe worth
Sidonia was cool when it was scifi but then it became more about the romance? (i think) I couldn't be bothered to keep up with it when it got more romancy but if you're okay with that and similar looking characters i guess it'll probably be okay

jitsu is near certainly overhyped a fair amount here (ez to take shots at nisekoi with it) but it's still good and probably better than the things you listed (seeking for death looked like trash but i don't know anything about takemitsu)

Soma

I should start/finish another series, somehow my browser tabs for future reads are getting out of hand. On a glance I have:

• Ratman
  • Seeking Death
  • Takemitsu Zamurai
  • Sidonia No Kishi

i'd recommend starting with takemitsu but everything else will look bad in comparison by the time you're done so i dunno

Mononofu 3
CQAW7PGWEAAlrbY.png:large

They always pick bad spots to stop, so well never know how the game goes. Oh well the new guy is great and I like how fierce he is. He will smile someday.

Zweizer

Banned
I found the beginning rather bad. Then it turns into one pretty badass and engaging shounen battle manga. Sadly, it went to shit again in the end. But those couple dozen of awesome chapters in the middle are worth a read.

• Ratman
  • Seeking Death
  • Takemitsu Zamurai
  • Sidonia No Kishi

Seeking for Death is simply not worth it. Its only saving grace, the yandere, doesn't even get that much screentime.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa is greatly amusing, so if you're in the mood to read a light-hearted romcom, go for it.

Haven't read the rest, but Takemitsu Zamurai looks very promising.

Food Wars 136

That scene with kid Erina judging that persons dish was awesome, love when characters say lines like that. Otherwise, the Asami plot is going downhill. I dont know what Soma could even do in this situation.

Seriously, I just want them to move on past this Elaine stuff and get to Escanor. After getting to see how stupidly awesome he was in that Vampire's side story, I can't wait to see him in the main story. His split personality thing could make for some great humor.

And am the only one that consistently feels creeped out by the Ban/Elaine thing? Yeah, she's over 100 years old and Ban's in his 40's, but it doesn't help that Elaine looks like a 12 year old making out with a guy in his apparent mid 20's. Showing her 'naked' at every opportunity doesn't make anything better either.

Agreed that I really want to get on to meeting up again with Escanor... When Melodias was debating of going with King I was near shook that the whole party was going to get sidelined for more Ban/Elaine stuff.

Also for the whole looking like a kid thing.... maybe before I would say stuff like that but now of these days when I walk through Uni and meet profs there are literally people who are 30+ that look younger then I do and are also small

weird world

• Ratman
  • Seeking Death
  • Takemitsu Zamurai
  • Sidonia No Kishi

Ratman was alright but last arc wasn't great (the villain and some stuff discover about the MC) and kinda felt rushed tbh.

Jitsu is cool if you want some laughs but be warned its kinda slow (hell a bunch of the jokes are in attempts to "speed it up") although its no where near the likes of Pastel lol

Not sure that's good either

The audience for SnS is young boys who read shonen jump, it's also infinitely less sleazy then middle school because there can and eventually will be legal age kids in high school so it can be at least a bit grey on the creepy scale.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At least the fan service in SnS is of high school kids and adults and not middle school girls. None of the characters in SnS are trying to get a 10 year old boy to fall in love with them either <___<

The fanservice in Negima is just on a different scale of lewd in general though. Clothes explode in Negima, but its mostly for comic value of "naked people are funny," really. Character's clothes explode in Soma and they writhe and blush and moan suggestively while it happens.

Azami was banished and Jouichiro probbaly loved his wife so much that he took her name. That's the big missing piece, Yukihira's mom, lol.

Let us all reiterate that Erina's mom and Soma's mom are clearly not the same person absent dizygotic twins and a crazy affair storyline.

bobohoro

Thanks folks!

Will start Jitsu, because I'm in the mood for something lighter, and then tackle Takemitsu Zamurai and Sidonia No Kishi afterwards. The other three are off my list for now.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 1

I like the art. But why is there an old guy in their class?

US Jump 9/28

Black Clover 31

Pretty enjoyable chapter, a tad disappointed this invasion was a smaller scale act of personal revenge and not a bigger act of war on the magic kingdom. The latter is most likely coming probably once Asta gets a bit more accepted by the other nobels.

One Piece 801

I'm happy I now read these OP chapters twice I catch a lot of little details that I missed the first time around. I missed originally why they were on Bart's ship but the fact he's taking them to Zou is obvious upon rereading with Viz's translation. OP continues to kill it!

Monofubu 3

I like and hate this jump start thing, on the one hand I get exposure to every new Shonen Jump series, on the other hand unless the people who read US Jump overwhelmingly like it to the point Viz decides to fully commit I'm doomed to fan translations or hearing about a series getting canned in 6 months.

Monofubu I don't see getting canned in 6 months, but I also don't see anyone picking it up for fan translation. Its got a very slow start and isn't that great, but I'd kind of want to see where the story goes from here. This weeks chapter had awkward comedy, bizarre pointless fan service, and another annoying main character who's hard to like. I'm sure DTL will like Monofubu far more due to this character because he's the perfect :dtl character for shipping with the mc.

Shokugeki no Soma 136

I get the impression the reason Soma is being asked here is not because herp derp guy has to save the girl herp derp but because Soma's cooking style pretty much stands in the face of everything Azami values. Soma would take a mistake and find a way to fix it making something special out of nothing, Azami and by extension Erina would say its trash/filth/disgusting and throw it away. Were people this upset when Soma stepped in to save Megumi during the training camp that was initially a far worse case of shonen male white knighting the "helpless female" and it ended up being a great growing point for Megumi where Soma assisted her growth and confidence helping her to save herself. I would assume something similar will happen with Erina in this situation. Great set up chapter can't wait to see where things go from here.

Samon The Summoner 2

I liked this chapter more then the first, I'm still not big on the art style though. Samon himself comes across as a far bigger hypocrite then the female lead because if desire to save a friend counts as greed then every action the female lead takes could be argued as a greedy desire to help people. At least this series seems like it'll have consistent battles with demons which could make it fun.

My Hero Academia 60

Deku and Bakugo having to work together to face Almighty? Oh MHA why are you so damn awesome?!

Toriko 340

Yeah this is for sure heading to a rushed finale with end game goals/stakes being clearly explained, characters going all in to reveal their true powers, and our main cast of characters has been completely sidelined while everyone else sets up the finale. Its a shame Toriko had so much potential and it seems were gonna skip all of it for a rushed ending.

Bleach 644

Oh boy Ice Tard is back and now another captain I give no fucks about will fight a quincy I give no fucks about... Yaaaay...

Nisekoi 187

This is a far worse example of white knighting and ironically the closest thing to feeling like a Shakespeare esque forbidden romance drama then anything else in this reverse romeo and juilet story. Of course what makes all this dumb is that Raku has no really feelings for Marika so the only way this can play out and be interesting is if Marika is the promised girl giving her a real reason to stay in the harem shenanigans game and Raku a legit reason to consider marrying her.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Takane no Hana Nara Ochitekoi!! 1

I'm in love with this manga.

Nisekoi 187

This is a far worse example of white knighting and ironically the closest thing to feeling like a Shakespeare esque forbidden romance drama then anything else in this reverse romeo and juilet story. Of course what makes all this dumb is that Raku has no really feelings for Marika so the only way this can play out and be interesting is if Marika is the promised girl giving her a real reason to stay in the harem shenanigans game and Raku a legit reason to consider marrying her.

I don't consider it white knighting because who wouldn't try to help a friend who's caught in a situation like this? Regardless if you wouldn't want to marry her yourself, your friend is literally being forced into a marriage against her will. People move out/emancipate themselves over this kind of shit. And Raku said that the promise wouldn't affect his current feelings, so that's kind of out, too.

Toriko

Its kind of getting like Bleach now, where I just care for how it will end. Nothing interesting is happening and its just back to back bigger and bigger bads with using others to defeat them. It feels like the writer has changed the original goal of the story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My guess as to the reason why he's asking Soma to do it is because they went out of their way to show you that Senzaemon was watching Erina and Soma interact repeatedly and that he had a "failure is okay" attitude that wouldn't have flown well with her Azami-induced attitude, e.g. Senzeamon overrode Erina's decision to reject his application, and then saw how she helped him improve his dish for the shokugeki against Mimasaka, etc. not to mention the several times she's told him "dishes that aren't perfect are trash" and then obviously realized she was wrong after he used the omelette again in the preliminaries to pass through. Basically he's outsider with the opposite attitude to Azami who wouldn't really give a shit about Erina's attitude or back down from it.

Bakuman Age 14

No Tohru Nanamine cameo was saddening, while Nijuma got time.

Only thing new here was the images that Saiko was drawing in his notebook that Im sure the manga never showed before (at least based off my memory of three times reading the series).

Oh well it did get me in a Bakuman mood again so Ill rewatch the anime, thankfully its on hulu.

Leave it to Shonen Champion to fill the sports manga void when others give up, just got the first volume in of a The Day of Switching On. A new ping pong manga, hope this shit survives, it has the charm of Baby Steps, the drama of early Major and the whimsical cuteness of Haikyuu.

Angry Grimace

I thought they already said Erina was the only first year to make it onto the Elite 10

Edit: oh she was just younger than Azami was

Berserk 340

I actually can't believe how long we have spent in Falconia.

Rakshas putting out the fire with the horse's blood was rad though, reminiscent of when Guts did that with the demon insect eggs in Lost Children Arc

Berserk 340

"Whatever you do, don't go out because everyone you know will die then you'll die and things will be awful for all eternity"

*runs out in the middle of the fight when things look awful*

Fucking stupid little shit. God I hope she dies, I can't fucking stand her.

Berserk 340

I actually can't believe how long we have spent in Falconia.

Rakshas putting out the fire with the horse's blood was rad though, reminiscent of when Guts did that with the demon insect eggs in Lost Children Arc

Is "are we still in Falconia?" going to be the new "are they still on a boat?"

dumbyugi

I thought they already said Erina was the only first year to make it onto the Elite 10

Edit: oh she was just younger than Azami was

Also everything related to Azami was erased from the school. As far as the school was concerned Erina was the only first year to make it onto the Elite 10.

Lain

The Music of Marie volume 1-2[END]

Pretty good story. I enjoyed the imagery Furuya created and even more the twist, some of which was already hinted at briefly not only through exchanges between the characters, but visually as well.
The theme of human emotions and technology is an interesting one. The way it is presented here, but also the way it is presented in our daily lives, has me feel that Kai did the right thing.

The end had a certain bittersweet aftertaste once everything is laid bare, not just because of what it meant in regards to past events, but also because of what it meant about the present life of Pipi. Seeing her happy still was nice, albeit a somewhat delusional happiness, though it could be argued that it's always been that way. Still, seeing it with open eyes changes things somewhat and makes it a little harder to swallow.

Anyways, it was a short and to the point story, pretty focused on what it wanted to tell and with an interesting style and direction and the usual Furuya art (Pipi's garden at the end was just great).
Furuya made me a fan all over again.

I think calling that chapter sweet only takes into account the ending and their friendship.

Seeing Ontan's diploma holder signatures was...actually kinda harsh. Like, there's one nice one and the rest are so fucking rude. I think it hit her a lot more than you'd think it would since her group of friends is splitting up. Like she doesn't give a single fuck about what people think of her as long as she has her group of friends but...one's dead and the rest are leaving. Doesn't leave much hope for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom