• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sesuji wo Pin! to ~Shikakou Kyougi Dance-bu e Youkoso~ 18-19

they are so amazing together~

I love them so much

can't wait for them to quick step it up!

Sakuranbo Syndrome 87

That's one hell of an understanding girlfriend. RIP any residual mental image of them as a father-mother-daughter family. This can't be how it wraps up, something has to give before the end. Right?

Touken Ranbu Academy 02-03

BeNQmeZ.jpg

Sword Boys go to School.

I like Sword Boys. I like school series.

Works for me!

Imperial Guards

Imagine, if you may a XIX century-style war between fantasy Japan and fantasy Russia, in a world where there are dragons and sabre-toothed tigers, with our protagonist fighting in a desperate defensive war. The MC is slightly crazy and has balls of steel.

It's pretty fucking manly.

Draxal

Imperial Guards

Imagine, if you may a XIX century-style war between fantasy Japan and fantasy Russia, in a world where there are dragons and sabre-toothed tigers, without our protagonist fighting in a desperate defensive war.

It's pretty fucking manly.

Oh man, wondering if they're going to do the Battle of Tsushima.

Umibozu

Eiyuu Kyoushitsu 7(end)
Wtf is this, this story just started.
This chapter doesn't resolve anything and if it wasn't even for the bottom of the last page you wouldn't even think this series ended.
It is continuously disappointing when many series get cut short, while series like bleach continue on into infinity.

Stealth Symphony 1-end

A battle shounen with a thrilling psychological aspect for its main character? Fuckin hell, this could have been my dream manga if it wasn't axed :(

Fox318

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru

"huh a Karate manga, maybe its like ippo.. ok this seems like a good read wait a minute.

there is a fucking rapist....why are they hanging out with a rapist"

Zweizer

Banned
Our Light Club by Usamaru Furuya

The sequel-prequel to Lychee Light Club, which fleshes out some of the characters by a lot, and in particular we get to witness how the club came to be, and what pushed it to the direction we see in Lychee Light Club. It's not as deeply veered into horror and depravity as its sequel, but it does feature several pretty disturbing elements such as indoctrination and gore.

It's definitely worth reading after you've finished with Lychee Light Club, as it explains a great deal of things, and Usamaru Furuya's art is as always superb. A shame that it seems to paint homosexuality in a negative light however.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of which, what is a good example of a manga/anime where the male and female leads are pretty much on even footing throughout?

I'd say Gintama, when the men aren't being treated as the butt of the joke (but I love that too).

Attack on Titan has some pretty good girl characters, but it's too bad the manga is shit.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I really like how Tokyo Ghoul Re's art has evolved. Makes me wish I actually read it. Has the story gotten much better since Tokyo Ghoul? The big reason why i stopped was because Eye-patch kid was just so whinny and self involved. Also the fights in general weren't that good/interesting? Bascially, how has RE improved upon the series?

Ah this man.

The guy who gives all Korean Manhwa a bad rap in the international community. The man who can't seem to exploit women characters enough so that every couple of months or so his frustrations pile up and he has to draw hentai doujin of his own properties in order to meet his exploitation quota.

The author of many acclaimed plotful works like Freezing and The Lunatic Taker.

Did I mention he has an older sister fetish in his works? Why the hell is he so well known. Argh.

I really like how Tokyo Ghoul Re's art has evolved. Makes me wish I actually read it. Has the story gotten much better since Tokyo Ghoul? The big reason why i stopped was because Eye-patch kid was just so whinny and self involved. Also the fights in general weren't that good/interesting? Bascially, how has RE improved upon the series?

The beginning of Re basically developed at a gradual pace. It may seem slow, however all that slow development is necessary for the current developments that has been occurring. Currently Re has been on a role due to all the setup in the beginning of the series. Even a character that no one believed would get character development has shown great character growth. I'd say Re has improved on pacing compared to the original since it was much slower and took a longer time to connect things together. I enjoy the CCG and the cop drama, but if you're a Ghoul fanatic it may take time to get use to. In all honesty you should just find out yourself because chances are you could dislike it or even like it on your own.

Also what chapter did you stop reading Tokyo Ghoul? I mean Kaneki wasn't really whinny unless you're talking about the beginning of the series.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
The beginning of Re basically developed at a gradual pace. It may seem slow, however all that slow development is necessary for the current developments that has been occurring. Currently Re has been on a role due to all the setup in the beginning of the series. Even a character that no one believed would get character development has shown great character growth. I'd say Re has improved on pacing compared to the original since it was much slower and took a longer time to connect things together. I enjoy the CCG and the cop drama, but if you're a Ghoul fanatic it may take time to get use to. In all honesty you should just find out yourself because chances are you could dislike it or even like it.

Also what chapter did you stop reading Tokyo Ghoul? I mean Kaneki wasn't really whinny unless you're talking about the beginning of the series.

I stopped right after the reveal what's her face was alive this entire time. Also, I just remember Kaneki was consistently kinda whinny. Even when he was supposedly going through a badass phase it just meant he didn't talk to his old friends to "protect" them. What killed me the most was not involving the girl ghoul who literally taught him everything he knew. His torture supposedly made him more serious, but it never did anything interesting to his character for me. The only time I ever like Kaneki when i read was when he first flipped his shit and started forcibly pushing his now warped idea's of "good" on people. I love the first with ghoul girls brother for the moment Kaneki goes, "I can't kill you, so I'll just leave you half alive" and breaks half of his bones.

From what I've gathered, Kaneki's stabilized since then(as he did after that one cool moment) and bleh. I might pick it up just cause(and the art still looks great), but typing all that out just reminded me of all the terrible writing that's bothered me about Tokyo Ghoul(other things, Kaneki's character development is a matter of opinion)

I stopped right after the reveal what's her face was alive this entire time. Also, I just remember Kaneki was consistently kinda whinny. Even when he was supposedly going through a badass phase it just meant he didn't talk to his old friends to "protect" them. What killed me the most was not involving the girl ghoul who literally taught him everything he knew. His torture supposedly made him more serious, but it never did anything interesting to his character for me. The only time I ever like Kaneki when i read was when he first flipped his shit and started forcibly pushing his now warped idea's of "good" on people. I love the first with ghoul girls brother for the moment Kaneki goes, "I can't kill you, so I'll just leave you half alive" and breaks half of his bones.

From what I've gathered, Kaneki's stabilized since then(as he did after that one cool moment) and bleh. I might pick it up just cause(and the art still looks great), but typing all that out just reminded me of all the terrible writing that's bothered me about Tokyo Ghoul(other things, Kaneki's character development is a matter of opinion)

I see where you're coming from but Kaneki getting tortured wasn't about him being a badass in fact it was far from that. His character in Tokyo Ghoul was to show how much he kept on slowly getting farther and farther away from his humanity. In fact he believed he had stopped following his mother's bad habit which is why he kept on mimicking other characters that influenced him (Rize and Yamori) which were tulpas. Even Yomo told Kaneki to use his own strength without relying on others (Rize and Yamori). In the end his selfish desire of not wanting to be alone (which is why he used that stupid excuse of protecting everyone) lead to his downfall. Tokyo Ghoul foremost was a tragedy with the first chapter even saying Kaneki was a tragic MC. He wasn't supposed to be some cool badass character that was right but one with many flaws that indirectly affected people who were close to him. I don't believe the writing is terrible in fact I think it's good because it set out what it wanted to accomplish and that's trying to protray Kaneki's tragic experience which it suceeded. With the author even using Metamorphosis written by Kafka to symbolize Kaneki's tragic journey. That's how I interpret Kaneki's character.

However since you didn't like Tokyo Ghoul I really don't see you liking Re so it's up to you whether you want to read it, but that's just me.

UberTag

Sakuranbo Syndrome 87

That's one hell of an understanding girlfriend. RIP any residual mental image of them as a father-mother-daughter family. This can't be how it wraps up, something has to give before the end. Right?
Rest assured that something most definitely gives. They don't just drive off into the sunset having threesomes with one another... not that there's anything wrong with that.

B Group no Shounen 01-02

Guy who's above average wants to be an average student and not stand out. Of course that goes nowhere when he helps the school idol.

poor guy, rip peaceful days, now you got annoying girls on you

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Trying to get back into Manga and I have something in particular people could help me find; I'm looking for stories where the main protagonist ultimately ends up with someone other than the other main guy/girl.

Umibozu

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga 55
Glad, the author decided not to go through with that series destroying decision.

Kiss x Death 11-12
First you beat up the girl and knock her out, then you get her brother to force your head down to kiss her.

Soma 136

Setting up for the next arc is going along nicely. Azami being 1st year student and the 3rd seat is a huge WTF, like was Gin/Jo's gen that weak that a 1st year can be 3rd seat or was Azami really that good?

Makes sense since he convinced old man Senzai's daughter to marry him and have Erina from that. I guess something happened between him and Jo that led to Jo leaving and Azami possibly staying to finish his last 2 years? I'm more curious about the past Elite 10 rather than rescuing Erina arc right now. But I'm excited for the rescue arc as well since it will flesh out Erina's character and more of Polar Star dorm hopefully.

Hopeing this arc results in Erina finally finding out that Soma is Jo's son. ;)

Usobuko

Banned
Junji Ito thread has people linking to scanlations, huh.

It's the same for the other recent manga related thread in OT.

The other interesting question is where are all the folks who knew about Ito but has zero presence here. Have we gone too far with smut !?

Trying to get back into Manga and I have something in particular people could help me find; I'm looking for stories where the main protagonist ultimately ends up with someone other than the other main guy/girl.

Oyasumi Punpun

It's the same for the other recent manga related thread in OT.

The other interesting question is where are all the folks who knew about Ito but has zero presence here. Have we gone too far with smut !?

Ito isn't really putting out new stuff that often right? I feel like most of us have probably read his most famous works like Amigara Fault or Uzumaki, even people who don't read manga have read a few of his short stories.

Originally Posted by HawthorneKitty

Ichigo 100% because it was decided via fan votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom