• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairy Tail 445

Mest saves the day!

Fairy Tail Ice Trail 013

He joins Fairy Tail. Big surprise!

Fairy Tail Zero 013

Awwwwwww.

Also, lol. She's making a guild? Well, I'll make one too! With phantoms, dark lords and black magic. You know what, forget the guild!

dani_dc

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 86

Akane is clearly the in-manga representation of this thread.

Of course. What makes it shine is how crazy yet well-integrated everything is, as well as the superb writing and occasional lessons in living.

Prison School truly is art~

Well said my... brother!

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt 10

SvYzoEv.png

silly adorkable steven

Lain

Teppu 30

The jump at the end, still as powerful as the first time.

Teppu 33 END[RAW]

I guess better than I could have expected. I'll miss this one a lot.

Qualia the Purple 5

Nice reaction face

wat

It seems when she interacts with the world, her version of the world is the one that works, and robots are alive, people can be disassembled, etc.

Omg. Hah hah, the phone. She calls her and don't even remember she used the phone, so she took the call, it should mean something!

Droplet

So I was doing some inking earlier today, and I was thinking about how rare (or more like non-existent) it is that a different drawing medium shows up in manga. For all intents and purposes, manga is just art in panels, right? So why is it that almost every artist sticks to nib pens and textures? Especially because there's so much variation in how they do their color pages - I've seen watercolor, marker, digital art, and even colored pencil. Yet I've probably seen like an entire 2 manga that don't use black ink and texturing, and I honestly couldn't even name them. Older manga are maybe slightly better about this, they don't rely on textures much and instead use a lot more pen techniques (crosshatching etc) to convey darkness, but it's still the same two materials. I mean, obviously it's not just two items, there are a lot of different nibs that can be used and a good variation of textures, and different levels of the two can be used, but I'm saying I don't see very many brush or ballpoint pens either, or watered down ink, and those still fall in the same realm of the materials that are already being used.

Now that I'm thinking of this, it's just kind of baffling. Nib pens and textures are controllable and they look nice and I'm definitely not saying they're a bad thing, but I'm more surprised I pretty much haven't seen more variation or experimentation in mediums.

Zweizer

Banned
So I was doing some inking earlier today, and I was thinking about how rare (or more like non-existent) it is that a different drawing medium shows up in manga. For all intents and purposes, manga is just art in panels, right? So why is it that almost every artist sticks to nib pens and textures? Especially because there's so much variation in how they do their color pages - I've seen watercolor, marker, digital art, and even colored pencil. Yet I've probably seen like an entire 2 manga that don't use black ink and texturing, and I honestly couldn't even name them. Older manga are maybe slightly better about this, they don't rely on textures much and instead use a lot more pen techniques (crosshatching etc) to convey darkness, but it's still the same two materials. I mean, obviously it's not just two items, there are a lot of different nibs that can be used and a good variation of textures, and different levels of the two can be used, but I'm saying I don't see very many brush or ballpoint pens either, or watered down ink, and those still fall in the same realm of the materials that are already being used.

Now that I'm thinking of this, it's just kind of baffling. Nib pens and textures are controllable and they look nice and I'm definitely not saying they're a bad thing, but I'm more surprised I pretty much haven't seen more variation or experimentation in mediums.

There is plenty of variation in tools used in the medium. These works just tend to be rarer and more obscure sadly (which isn't really something unique to this medium), as said tools don't lend themselves well to the required work speed of a weekly mainstream publication.

I suggest you check out Dorohedoro and Ashizuri Aquarium if you haven't read them yet.

dani_dc

Self 9

The guy should just go directly to a Tenga! Would save him a lot of trouble.

Girls mental games were pretty fun though.

The last page feels like something that should be posted without context, but it's way too lewd even for this place.

Shengar

I think there are many experimentation within the medium. It is just the nature of the material might not caught the attention of scantlators and with language barrier between Japan and the rest of the world, it making experimental works hard to come by unless we're really looking into it.

Zweizer

Banned
Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan (One-shot) by Hiiragi Yutaka

A cute short story about the wonders of ham.

I had some of this jamon serrano during a trip in Spain. It was delicious, though it can get rather expensive.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Time constraints I imagine. And other mediums are less "fixable" than nib pens.

Also factor in the assistants doing background and such. If you were working in watercolours then they would all have to work watercolours too or you handle all those bits yourself.

You see more experimentation in less mainstream works like Ashizuri Suizokukan.

Also, Soul Eater used sumi-e in certain scenes to give them more impact.

phaze

One Piece 96-113

So a princess of a whole country is doing undercover ops ? What kind of demented kingdom is this Alabasta. RIP mr lame royal guard, hardly knew ya.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! 1-105
etsgfspzak.png

Simple premise but it manages to be quite funny, it was my first 4koma thing I've read so I can't really say how it compares. The girl above caries the show.

random25

Himouto! Umaru-chan 111

Now it gets confusing lol. We need to see more of the new girl.

Tsujiura-san to Chupacabra 13

The joke's starting to become real lol. The chemistry between the two seems much better than the original pair.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! 101-105

I plan on reading this when 10 new chapters gets out, but the plot seems to keep getting better and better lol. And Carol best troll.

Love/Death 7

This is the best series.

Kingdom 439

Fuck yeah, Yotanwa kicks ass. About the six generals, if you assume those five will take spots then Shin would take the last...but some people are probably going to die, either among Shin, Mouten or Ouhon or the other 5 generals.

Nooooo god damn it! Ending too soon...

Where did it say it was ending?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Magi- Ah man Sinbad is officially making his move! I really want to know his endgame.

Adventures of Sinbad- haha, bitch is getting replaced and he doesn't even know it yet.

One Piece 794

When this is animated it will definitely be an episode to not just play in the background while doing other things but to watch. Sabo moment will make it so saddening, especially the heavy breathing part and reliving the most memorable death in One Piece.

BLack Clover 22
CKYQ86FUEAADIsZ.png

Dorksta is so happy.

But the best part was both him and Yuno inquiring about the Wizard King. I love that we dont have the typical one becomes bad plot going on or wanting revenge etc.

Qualia the Purple 7-8

SCG5n0e.png

What if Schrodinger's cat was moe? What then, people??

We quantum mechanics now. Including a visit to Copenhagen Interpretation and Many Worlds Theory.

But it was really interesting having a
time skip where the protagonists separated, went with their lives, and then several years later, an older Gaku remembers her and say, "not like this!" and then we learn that wasn't our Gaku, but an alternative timeline!
Poor her, she doesn't know her timeline was a decent one...

s8JlpMN.gif

Then in chapter 8 she receives
a call from herself
and it's again :mindblown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom