• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Keijo 76

The air fondling and ass slapping to inherit those ass techniques was... wow /bows
How do you top this now? How are Nozomi and the rival girl going to go even more over the top?!

Wow this book is the book that just keeps on giving.
Ca0hN1NUYAAyElG.jpg:large

Lain

You'll see soon enough.

Keijo be shounen as fuck

I'll be waiting to be blown.

----

There is a cool thing about Amazon orders. That is, I can put together a lot of stuff to get free shipping and I only have to pay when it ships, so I tend to not care what the total could be, the stuff usually comes up divided in little shipments month by month.
The downside is that sometimes manga ship whenever instead of when you'd expect, so I get nice surprises like this one:
It hurts when you're not expecting it.
American stuff ranges from close to twice to close to 4 times more costly than one Italian manga volume. With the € having lost so much power too, it's almost time to stop buying physical English manga and just grab some cheap digital alternative here and there.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch.245
The terrifying part about that joke is that she could convincingly be either of those things.

Shin Mazinger Zero vol.2
Coming off the first volume's overly dark tone still fresh in my mind, I was honestly thrown off by how much this volume was told more like a typical Mazinger Z story. The forces of Dr. Hell attacking Japan, Aphrodite A and Mazinger fighting together, the main cast's interactions and antics. All of it felt almost completely separate from what just directly preceded it. Except for the android Minerva X, the one character that still links this story to the overarching threat of Mazinger becoming a devil. While I had initially expected each volume to somehow conclude with Kouji failing to control Mazinger, now the question seems to be when will this universe takes a turn for the worse and ends the same way. But flashbacks to those events aside, I had a good bit of excitement and laughs out of this at several points.
- Ashura using the old "send Gamias to assassinate Kouji" plan backfires horribly as Kouji is somehow able to take on and defeat all three of them without Mazinger (likely for the same reason he was able to rocket punch Juuzou with his own severed fist in the first volume. He just somehow is able to).
- Minerva X, who was constructed by Dr. Hell and sent in as a transfer student to Kouji's school, is clearly not working for Hell and instead proceeds to ride inside the Pilder with Kouji in an incredibly ecchi manner. This provides the jumping off point for something I never thought I would see and that is a REALLY pissed off Sayaka Yumi. To the point I was worried that she of all people would trigger the end of the world.
- According to Minerva X, how she ranks her affections are as follows: Kouji Kabuto > Pilder + Kouji Kabuto > Mazinger Z + Pilder + Kouji Kabuto. It makes sense, I swear.
- This particular cycle has Mazinger recognized as a national hero that all of Japan loves, saying they won't complain if a power line or two gets busted up so long as Kouji saves the day. It's so earnest in a way that I can only see this scene serving as a representation of Mazinger's legacy and popularity in the real world.
- Following off of that, not only is there a Devilman statue at an onsen like in the Shin Mazinger anime, there's also a statue of Satan (Devilman on the men's side, Satan on the lady's). The reason? Because while he's not shown or named, Go Nagai is an in universe character whose series like Devilman, Cutie Honey, and so on are also very popular. I don't know if it will happen, but I honest to god now want to see this manga's interpretation of Go Nagai. It would pretty much one up Araki with his self author insert from JoJo Part 4.
- All of the above culminates in Minerva's origins and circumstances being revealed to the school via a big welcome party staged by Kouji and co, ending the volume on a note as far opposite from the first volume. Any new ally of Mazinger Z is apparently a friend to all the people of Japan, and the world. Very sweet.

Reading through this volume was just fun. It didn't follow a similar path to the beginning chapters but still made infrequent reminders of Minerva's role in this story and what she's trying to prevent from taking place. In short, an honest to god Super Robot manga that reminds me why the fuck we can't get more of these kinds of things. I only have so much time to binge through mecha anime that I could get through way more of these kinds of stories in a timely manner.

And I'll leave this here as a testament to this manga, even for a brief moment, making Aphrodite A and Sayaka something that a human could potentially fear. Hell hath no fury like a woman's anger at an ecchi Kabuto.

elyetis

American stuff ranges from close to twice to close to 4 times more costly than one Italian manga volume. With the € having lost so much power too, it's almost time to stop buying physical English manga and just grab some cheap digital alternative here and there.
Wow those price are... wow.
I don't think I have bought a manga at less than 6€ for quite some time now, with most of them closer to 7€ and some of them 8€.
Just checked, prison school : fr = 7.99€ - it = 4.90€... like having Kingdom licenced wasn't enough. I should have learned italian not spanish.

Zweizer

Banned
There is a cool thing about Amazon orders. That is, I can put together a lot of stuff to get free shipping and I only have to pay when it ships, so I tend to not care what the total could be, the stuff usually comes up divided in little shipments month by month.
The downside is that sometimes manga ship whenever instead of when you'd expect, so I get nice surprises like this one:

Holy shit.

Gvitor

Bleach

What an ass pull.

One Piece

Legit surprised. It's been a while since Oda surprised me.

Soma spoilers

Best girl in the cover, second best girl in the chapter. Hyped.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch245

No, wait, that's her mom!?

Prison School ch205

Something is piercing heaven alright. Kiyoshi, the hero we need and deserved. He is a man with nothing to lose.
This chapter is officially far more 'intense' than AoT.

Himouto Umaru-chan 140

Cute lvl. Over 9000!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

Ugh, I don't really need to see Yuzuki on the first page, at least give me warning

Bleach

What an ass pull.

One Piece

Legit surprised. It's been a while since Oda surprised me.

Soma spoilers

Best girl in the cover, second best girl in the chapter. Hyped.
i find it hilarious how the reason uruhara was a special war potential was essentially that he's a walking asspull factory

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada and the Seven Witches

It's pretty sad that Shiraishi basically got downgraded into a blushing accessory.

UQ Holder

Back to the plot after 20 chapters of building a Negi-sized harem

bobohoro

One Piece 816

Probably one of the best chapters in quite some time. Didn't see that one coming.
OP can still bring a tear to my eyes, even after all these years.

Haikyuu!! 193
Ca3urmFXEAI7OiE.png

Yaku Lev and Yaku Kenma are the most amazing things this arc. I couldnt stop laughing.

But seriously Yaku is a great player and Lev does have his moments. When Lev was at his peak it was epic.

Konoha is an instant fav for Fukurodani. Hope he gets even more development.

Angry Grimace

662 chapters in and we still haven't seen Urahara fight anyone because there are simply too many other characters

Comes back from doing some research stuff.... sees that WSJ chapters are out early

goes and reads the latest chapter of Tomo-chan instead

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! 245

Oh man I was almost saddened that it wasn't her mother for a second

Bleach 662

... ah... never-mind

OP 816

PLOT TWIST!

I knew the samurai's friend wasn't some douche guy who would've caused a problem...Wano is filled with great people

never knew they actually knew about the dude that the other samurai's knew to knew

pbayne

Posting here to say I just finished a Silent Voice. So good. Really excited for the movie now but I have no clue how'll they adapt it.

Like there's no way they could do it all without severe cuts(which would suck the life out of it) and there'e no real good cutting off point either.

Anyways great manga. Might be up there with Berserk and Solainn as one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom