• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think maybe Garou will present a real threat (and by real threat I mean not total jobber) to Saitama once he takes Saitama seriously and uses his martial arts. We've seen that Garou is just really brash and takes everyone too lightly so it's not strange that he gets one upped from time to time. Only, when you get caught off guard by Saitama you kind of just die.

upandaway

Kind of onomatopea handling?

This kind (taken from volume 2 of Love at Fourteen):

I'm fine with not touching the Japanese text and not providing a translation, removing it and changing it with a translation, putting the translation at the border of the page, putting the translation on top or below or on the side of the Japanese text.
The way they do it instead annoys me greatly. I'd prefer they just translated the sound or at least kept the translation with the other 2 for consistency and because I can't remember what every onomatopea is supposed to mean (wai doesn't make me think about chatter, to be honest).
But I understand it is something that only annoys me, because I haven't seen anyone complain about it and it keeps being done that way.
Yeah I don't like that either, that's something I really try to avoid. SFX are so hard to translate properly.

Yes thank you viz.
CJPqj8pWoAATylN.png:large

Zweizer

Banned
Hatarakanai Futari ch28

That's actually a pretty decent idea for once.

Drifters ch51

Who knew shit would be so important.

Furyous

Fury/Kuang Shen 26

Lei is about to get mopped by the general. Is Lei a Saiyan? Demon Empress needs to step in and start beasting. LOL at this manga moving faster than Bleach.

JoJo Bizzare's Adventures Part 7: Steel Ball Run THE END

Well the writing, art and character upgrades plus the fact it is "less shonen" can probably be attributed to it switching to the Seinen Jump magazine.

It's still a bit odd how early in part 7 Funny Valentine looked short and fat and then he became athletic for no real reason.

The D4C Diet!

Love/Death 6

Chapters before this escalates to murder - probably around 3

Zweizer

Banned
LOVE/DEATH ch6

They're completely enraptured with each other~

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon ch8

Christmas is definitely merrier with friends. Lucoa sure is nice~

bobohoro

Fairy Tail 443

The power scale is so whack in this manga, it stopped being funny ages ago.
And if you already know that Natsu will asspullnakamapowerplow all those ridiculous enemies in less than 30 chapters, it seems even more stupid.
This is dumb.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
JoJo Bizzare's Adventures Part 7: Steel Ball Run THE END

Everyone except Johnny died*, particularly Valentine and Diego who insisted on dying multiple times each.

Now onto the next:

Yeah, definitely the most ambitious and mature Jojo yet. Araki definitely improve as a storyteller. I like it a lot, but if there's one thing i don't like is Araki same face syndrome during the middle later part. Other than that, this part is awesome and have the best bro moment. .

Dagashi Kashi 14

These guys have the coolest pose whenever they messed up.

Lain

About the Evergreen missing page:

Q:I just got my copy of Evergreen but there's a reprint mistake. The same page is printed twice in a row. And I feel like a page went missing because of that. Heeellp

Anonymous
We do deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you (and all other affected fans). We caught the problem only after the release, but we will be fixing this error in subsequent reprints.

For those that have such copies, we are offering the missing page online here. –CC

Having the missing page online is better than nothing, I guess, but I do prefer it when publishers exchange the volumes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fairy Tail

The Alvarez Empire would actually be interesting if Mashima had done literally any build up to this super powerful nation existing at all. But he didn't, because he clearly just made it up right before the arc started the same way he makes up every random bad-guy squad.

There's practically no real world-building in this absent the disappearance of the dragons, and then he actually resolved that plot....in the least interesting way possible.

Kieli

Fairy Tail

The Alvarez Empire would actually be interesting if Mashima had done literally any build up to this super powerful nation existing at all. But he didn't, because he clearly just made it up right before the arc started the same way he makes up every random bad-guy squad.

There's practically no real world-building in this absent the disappearance of the dragons, and then he actually resolved that plot....in the least interesting way possible.

Expecting planning from Mashima is like expecting Soma to recognize boobies.

Never going to happen.

Not to imply that you didn't already know this, though.

Arabesque

World Trigger 107 + 108

No wonder she the most popular operator lol

Aside from Haruka being super cute (and Akane's cat shenanigans) I really like how we are slowly starting to see how each individual member of Tamakoma-2 takes each victory and keeps on trying to improve after the match. We first had focused on Osamu directing both of teammates to prove his worth, then had Yuma trying to figure out how to defeate Ko while Osamu was struggling against Nasu. Now we are at the point where Osamu needs to figure out how to defeate Ninomiya, Yuma facing Kageura, and Chika finding a kindred spirit with Yuzuru. Building up these individual rivalries is what made the previous match with Nasu and Kuruma squads so exciting to see unfold, so I'm glad to see that we are still continuing with that going forward.

Osamu getting training from Arashiyama and Izumi to improve his own shooting was something that had to happen sooner or later, but somehow I doubt even that will help him against Ninomiya. He's a man who had once managed to get the top, and Osamu trying to get in a one-on-one fight can only end in defeat. Still, he's right in thinking that he had been counting Yuma more than is advisable, and he needs to start and be able to hold his own if the situation were to turn south for his team.

Liked Arashiyama's viewpoint on what a shooter (and by extension, a captain) ought to be focusing on during each match. Fits in nicely with what we had been seeing thus far through this Rank War with people like Arafune and Nasu as well.

On Yuma's side, I'm really happy he now seems like he found a friend in Ko. Guess that's what Jin was talki about when he was talking about Yuma having fun if he joined Border. Seeing that Konami is also among the shortlist of people Ko never managed to defeate was really nice.

The brief but we seen out of Kageura implies he has a side effect of some sort that allows him to understand or infer whenever someone thinks badly of him, though I wonder if that's the reason why he seems like he's always on edge. Guess it explains why his team's emblem is fangs lol

The one thing that connects everyone in the next match, from the 4 teams set to fight to the announcers, is Hatohara. I've been interested in learning more about her after what Renji and Ninomiya had to say, and seeing that she was Yuzuru's master and learning how freakishly good she was made me realise how great it will be once we meet her on the other side.

It's sort of neat how we are getting to learn more about her from not only the people who admired her (Yuzuru) and known her (Renji) but also the people who are now holding a grudge against her (Ninomiya) for just up and leaving. All what's left is just hearing what her former mentor has to say and we'd have a good future antagonist/ally for Tamakoma to go against or befriend.

And the giant elephant in the room gets pointed at. Yes, Chika has been scared to shoot anyone. She had been so terrified from shooting people to the point where she had never even gotten a single point on her own. The contrast between her and Hatohara in how they are both girls with powerful abilities but a crippling fear of harming others is an interesting twist (guess that's why Yuzuru is attracted to her? She reminds him of his old mentor?)

The fact that now we learned the reason what made it impossible for Hatohara to go on an away mission normally, and why she decided to leave in her own does add more to what Ninomiya said at the end of the previous match also. He knew Chika couldn't shoot anyone from a glance because he had someone on his own team who could never shoot anyone.

This was also pretty funny

Pretty great chapters. Shame it's on break next week but hopefully we will be getting a couple more set up chapters before heading straight to the final(?) B-Rank battle, and then off to the other world (probably the water nation, from the theories I've read recently).

Arabesque

Orange 20

This ends in 2 ways now.

Either Kakeru doesn't commit sucide, ends up with Naho, and Suwa and Chino hook up

Or Kakeru doesn't commit sucide but
get run over by a truck anyways, cause you can't fight fate lol

Not many chapter until we get to the ending now. Probably 2 more?

Sugar Dark: Umerareta Yami to Shoujo Overall Thoughts
Why does it hurt so good?

This is one of the manga where I can say you are going to have to read it to know it. Set in a victorian era with its kind of strangeness kind of help the manga in drawing you in.

There are only 19 chapters, so I recommend you to go read it now if you have the time to spare.

Love/Death 6
Please. This manga. I can't stop laughing.

Boogiepop

Okay, so, looking for thoughts on a few series to figure out if I want to import them.
-Karakuri Circus and Gekkou Jourei. I really liked Ushio and Tora, and I'm curious about this, but I'd really like some opinions before I consider taking the dive.

-Super Mario-kun and Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken. Never heard much talk about these, but kind of curious since they're both long-running video game based series.

-Golgo 13. Watched and enjoyed the anime. However, the manga is huge as hell. I was already starting to see some patterns to a certain degree in the anime. Does the manga mostly stick to that short stories feel? Or are there longer arcs ever? How repetitive does it end up? And was the anime a bit of a "best of" and thus possibly giving me a particularly high quality sampling of what the manga offers, or should I expect about that level of quality consistently?

Arabesque

Wait, it's ending soon? I completely forgot about this series.

Yeah, the author confirmed on her Twitter in March that volume 5 (so everything from chapter 18 onwards) would be the final volume. Since there are usually 4~5 chapters per volume, there shouldn't be more than 2 at this point.

Unless the final volume is longer, which I wouldn't mind. I want the series to go on for a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom