• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

magic exists and is super fucking boring because english wizards are boring

faeries suck ass

the french get their ass kicked offscreen by boring wizards
I'll coming through your mirror tonight Jintor.
It's a very (English) literary approach to fantasy. Like if you mixed Harry Potter with Pride and Prejudice.

I recommend the BBC series if you don't have the patience for long, meandering books.

This isn't a manga by the way. Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell is a Hugo award-winning novel.

They should make a manga adaptation and bishified both Jonathan and Mr. Norell, then boom! Sold like hot cakes
To the fujoshis

dumbyugi

I mean in the sense of a Manga reaching 500+ chapters, not in terms of volume sales.

You still get the occasional series that gets to 500+ chapters. Hayate the Combat Buttler just reached chapter 500 a few weeks ago and Gintama is slowly getting closer to 600. I don't think there have ever really been many series that reach that many chapters though, hell a lot of the ones that have are still going.

I dunno if I'd say the era of 500+ chapter series is over when we have several series in Jump currently that seem to be doing fairly well which could easily go on for years because there is no end game in sight only a world that gets progressively bigger.

They should make a manga adaptation and bishified both Jonathan and Mr. Norell, then boom! Sold like hot cakes
To the fujoshis

I know what all of those words mean, but when you put them in order like that my brain just shuts down.

Like, I cannot for the life of me picture Norell as a Bishonen.

isn't j.strange already like canonically the pretty boy wizard

"Handsome, but in a funny looking sort of way" is closer, I think.

Jintor

i wonder to what extent the japanese 'take other books and convert them into manga' industry is thriving. I keep seeing that Apple Steve Jobs/Wozniac bio manga on shelves, and a few of my students are reading, like, historical manga that is literally billed as a 'more interesting textbook', so...

To the fujoshis

It could happen. I mean look what they did to Black Jack by Osamu Tezuka

kye0Vjx.jpg

Black Jack is a Bishounen in his new series called Young Black Jack.

upandaway

Maybe they were not good to begin with or did not leave a good impression on you.
For the most extreme examples (there's plenty with better release pace that had the same effect on me) there's Vinland Saga, Berserk, Saki etc. I enjoyed them a ton and they're some of my favorites, but I wish I remembered what the heck happened. Part of the reason why I like manga is to think back about my experience with it.

Still I'd rather read them while ongoing because they would take decades to finish, just a bit tiring being stuck in the middle of everything

should i make a Comiket 88 OT?
I think C88 manga talk can happen in this thread, don't think anyone would oppose a new one for it I guess (it did get uh, a two page thread in gaming)

i wonder to what extent the japanese 'take other books and convert them into manga' industry is thriving. I keep seeing that Apple Steve Jobs/Wozniac bio manga on shelves, and a few of my students are reading, like, historical manga that is literally billed as a 'more interesting textbook', so...

Should read Gundam Sousei fro the rise of Tomino and Gundam. 99% accurate

For the most extreme examples (there's plenty with better release pace that had the same effect on me) there's Vinland Saga, Berserk, Saki etc. I enjoyed them a ton and they're some of my favorites, but I wish I remembered what the heck happened. Part of the reason why I like manga is to think back about my experience with it.

Monthly manga has this problem unfortunately. One month is enough time for you to forget about things.

Shengar

God. Please no.
Internet corrupted my mind.
I know what all of those words mean, but when you put them in order like that my brain just shuts down.

Like, I cannot for the life of me picture Norell as a Bishonen.
Japan will always find a way.

Are those manga actually any good?
Manga or visual medium in general is much better to engage someone in learning than book. But there is some hurdle that could result in something counter-productive if every textbook converted to manga. It really takes a skillful mangaka to convey a historical reproduction with their drawing, and being both accurate and entertaining at the same time took a lot of effort and research. I guess if it just for inciting curiosity for student to learn more about the subject by their own initiative that would be sufficient, but replacing textbook wholly is a serious matter.

Turok_TTZ

Well that was quick. They're really not taking secrecy seriously.

inb4ItsAbsolutelyNothing.gif next week.

Why Can't I Get A Girlfriend 65

I feel nausea reading this. Too much cringe.
Why am I reading this? Why can't I stop?

Kikuchi moved on from Toudouin pretty well though. Congrats to her. Toudouin pls, ye already had yer chance with her, hell she was confessing to ya ye git. And ye wasted it.

Like where this is headed though.

I wonder if reading Nisekoi would be as painful as reading this. My stomache cant handle so much cringe.

Quasar

Is there a Manga Iliad?

I've always wondered how the manga Anne of Green Gables happened. Did it just have some random magical connection with Japanese people?

upandaway

Yotsuba 88

Oh... last grandma day. She came with so much luggage I figured she'd stay for a couple of weeks.

I'm curious how to make that bunny origami. It looks pretty cool.

Revo

Haikyuu!! 169

Glorious smile but fairly underwhelming moment considering all the amazing moments we've already gotten in this match.

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School 1-186

The anime's first few episodes had underwhelmed me, so I endeavored to read the manga to see if and how the series got any better. And, oh boy, did it.

There are a lot of things Prison School does right even putting aside the often ludicrous fanservice offered on a weekly basis. It has a fair bit of character development, interesting plots and subplots, fun characters, and really fantastic art. It really might be one of my favorite manga running right now even if most of the fetishes it caters to aren't exactly my thing.

For example, the Hana subplot. I honestly have no interest in her fetish, but the author knows how to play her relationship with Kiyoshi for ultimate levels of drama and hilarity and does it repeatedly. Same with Andre's S&M fetish and Mitsuko's clumsy-cute (and amusingly better informed than most of the others about sex) thing. Not my thing, but they play it so well in terms of the comedy that it's enrapturing.

But it's more than that. The character development, backstories, and the overall plot is actually really good. Most things are pretty well thought out, the twists are well executed, and the characters make some amount of sense. I'm also still in awe at how quickly they turned the USC from the antagonists of the series to its heroines in such a short span. Probably helps that Kate is such an unlikable person, but even that they seem to be filling in some blanks on to humanize her a little as of late. But, yeah, the three prison break sequences to date have been utterly amazing to watch unfold and showed some real capacity at creating true drama, much more than I would expect from something sometimes dismissed as just common smut.

All I can really do is applaud what I've read, be grateful that I'm somehow still sane after reading the whole series-to-date in a week, and look forward to the next week.

P.S. Hana's probably my favorite character. Every time she shows up it's basically guaranteed to be hilarious.

Great to hear that you enjoyed the manga~

Fandom wars are serious business.

should i make a Comiket 88 OT?

I don't see why not.

Smut tyranny wouldn't exist!

I wouldn't be so sure!

dani_dc

An OT that gives us all the publications could be interesting as well.

Yeah it could, it'd be a monstrous amount of work though.

Unless someone is up to make a catch-up thread about the works at Comiket (and I'd recommend to be careful about which works to bring up, I don't think some of the stuff we talk here would be so well received in the OT), I think it'd be best to wait for C89 to attempt a thread about Comiket.

bobohoro

Domestic Na Kanojo 63

Who wouldn't blindly trust this charming guy?

And oh noes, that pixelated kissing scene on a photograph. One out of 3000. How big are the odds that it will get published in their travel journal, or something? :O

Tsugumomo 72&73

Kiriha blushing is always good.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah it could, it'd be a monstrous amount of work though.

Unless someone is up to make a catch-up thread about the works at Comiket (and I'd recommend to be careful about which works to bring up, I don't think some of the stuff we talk here would be so well received in the OT), I think it'd be best to wait for C89 to attempt a thread about Comiket.

Yeah, I'd say it's better to just limit oneself to the smutty stuff, but that'd probably be frowned upon in the OT. Ah well.

Ah yes, Comiket 88
You know what that mean
MH no Erohon 15 with Kirin X pls

Sorry to disappoint you.

On the other hand, Dulce Report II Ep. 5 was being sold there!

dani_dc

Some quick observation about day #3 of Comiket.

People, lots of people, too many people.
It was impossible to see things and I was gave up on checking most of the A booths due to giant queues.

Getting the first train is silly unless you want to buy things you're 90% sure will sell out. Today was by far the day with the most people, but even so I got there at 10:15 and I entered around an hour later.
My friends went there on the first train, waited some 4-5 hour and entered at around 10:15.

Jump doujins were oddly close to non-existance, even popular series like One Piece didn't even have more than 5 or so booths, compared to the several rows of booths at Boys Love day.
I think Soma was the Jump series with the most representation today.

JoJo was naturally nowhere to be seen today.

Tokyo Ghoul was also absent today (compared to yesterday where it had a fair amount of work).

There were a few Prison School stuff, but mostly Meiko (including an R18 cosplay video), I think I saw a single Hana doujin.

Some amusing stuff like manga guides to Linux kernel and Hacker guides.

Lots of games but a lot of them didn't even had screenshot, just anime girls artwork, if that much. Few had videos and even less had demos (though with the sea of people that might have been wise).

Yeah, I'd say it's better to just limit oneself to the smutty stuff, but that'd probably be frowned upon in the OT. Ah well.

Yeah, I think we'd have to cut a lot (all) of the smutty stuff.

Zweizer

Banned
Some quick observation about day #3 of Comiket.

People, lots of people, too many people.
It was impossible to see things and I was gave up on checking most of the A booths due to giant queues.

Getting the first train is silly unless you want to buy things you're 90% sure will sell out. Today was by far the day with the most people, but even so I got there at 10:15 and I entered around an hour later.
My friends went there on the first train, waited some 4-5 hour and entered at around 10:15.

I warned you about the popular booths! Too bad that you didn't manage to check out these booths, but I hope you at least managed to meet some authors.

Smut is serious business~

Jump doujins were oddly close to non-existance, even popular series like One Piece didn't even have more than 5 or so booths, compared to the several rows of booths at Boys Love day.
I think Soma was the Jump series with the most representation today.

JoJo was naturally nowhere to be seen today.

Tokyo Ghoul was also absent today (compared to yesterday where it had a fair amount of work).

There were a few Prison School stuff, but mostly Meiko (including an R18 cosplay video), I think I saw a single Hana doujin.

Some amusing stuff like manga guides to Linux kernel and Hacker guides.

Lots of games but a lot of them didn't even had screenshot, just anime girls artwork, if that much. Few had videos and even less had demos (though with the sea of people that might have been wise).

Generally for the 3rd day there aren't that many series-specific doujinshis, as you can sell them on the 1st and 2nd day as well.

Hopefully you had good fun these three days~

dani_dc

I warned you about the popular booths! Too bad that you didn't manage to check out these booths, but I hope you at least managed to meet some authors.

Smut is serious business~

Generally for the 3rd day there aren't that many series-specific doujinshis, as you can sell them on the 1st and 2nd day as well.

Hopefully you had good fun these three days~

The thing about the popular booths is that they're crazy busy but the works will be easily findable in Akiba the next day (or even the same day!), so unless you want some item specific to Comiket (body pillows, bags, etc) there's really no point going there. Much better to look around and find stuff you won't see for sale easily at Manga stores.

I'm not even sure if the people at the booths are the author's or not!
They sometimes rotate people, I saw at least 3 girls and 1 guy (max of two at once) at peachpulsar booth.

And it's very business oriented really (ask for the things and pay for them), so I can't say you "meet" author's, though I'm sure not knowing Japanese doesn't help.

Well, there was no Jump stuff either in the first day, not significantly so anyway, it was mostly gaming doujin, even if you are right about day 1 and 2 being more series specific.

Zweizer

Banned
The thing about the popular booths is that they're crazy busy but the works will be easily findable in Akiba the next day (or even the same day!), so unless you want some item specific to Comiket (body pillows, bags, etc) there's really no point going there. Much better to look around and find stuff you won't see for sale easily at Manga stores.

I'm not even sure if the people at the booths are the author's or not!
They sometimes rotate people, I saw at least 3 girls and 1 guy (max of two at once) at peachpulsar booth.

And it's very business oriented really (ask for the things and pay for them), so I can't say you "meet" author's, though I'm sure not knowing Japanese doesn't help.

Well, there was no Jump stuff either in the first day, not significantly so anyway, it was mostly gaming doujin, even if you are right about day 1 and 2 being more series specific.

Yeah, they don't have much time for pleasanteries, especially the most popular booths, but the authors should be there, and they sometimes accept requests for sketches (though you have to be early). If you just want to read the newest book, it's generally not worth it to queue half a day unless you're crazy dedicated and/or impatient lol

Jump was the second day. The first day was, as you said, mostly gaming (of which it's mostly Touhou and Kancolle).

dani_dc

Yeah, they don't have much time for pleasanteries, especially the most popular booths, but the authors should be there, and they sometimes accept requests for sketches (though you have to be early). If you just want to read the newest book, it's generally not worth it to queue half a day unless you're crazy dedicated and/or impatient lol

Jump was the second day. The first day was, as you said, mostly gaming (of which it's mostly Touhou and Kancolle).

Yeah, the fun of Comiket is to find unique stuff mostly.
I can't imagine sketch request though, not for the most popular booths, too many people there.

Second day was also BL day!
There was an huge Jump section but 95%+ of it was BL!
I don't think I saw a single non-BL One Piece Doujin yesterday, and I was in that section much longer than I wanted (friend requested me to look for some stuff)!

Shengar

I can't imagine sketch request though, not for the most popular booths, too many people there.

I don't think I saw a single non-BL One Piece Doujin yesterday, and I was in that section much longer than I wanted (friend requested me to look for some stuff)!

You went to Comiket? Please show us your haul.
Well, SFW one of course

Zweizer

Banned
I won't believe your lie, Zweizer!
Kizuki Aruchuu, pls come back ;__;

Oh they did put out stuff for C88. Just not what you wished for.

Well, most of the non-fujoshi market don't really care about Jump stuff, lol

Starting twitter. Hope you guys wont mind if i follow :)

It would probably be easier to recognize you if you put a Dowman Sayman avatar~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom