• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marche90

Minamoto-kun 178

So a new challenger appears, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing now. We need more chapters of this...

Brynhildr 153

Oh, wow. While I was expecting the sister to take the blow for Kana, I never expected her to say 'Screw Murakami' to revive her.

dani_dc

Comiket 88 day #2 pick ups.

Homura x JoJo by Tanishi-Tonio / Neet-co

qzM4w9p.jpg

qaPL1yw.jpg

KoEzzL2.jpg

Prison School Doujin
by daaue

Found these two among the sea of BL and I just had to get them.

Zweizer

Banned
Comiket 88 day #2 pick ups.

Homura x JoJo by Tanishi-Tonio / Neet-co

Prison School Doujin by daaue

Found these two among the sea of BL and I just had to get them.
Artists names in the pictures.

Nice. Were there other Prison School doujinshis? I expect some Joe x Gakuto at least lol.

Tomorrow can't come any sooner!

upandaway

Homura & Jotaro looks fun, didn't ever think about that matchup

I loathe you unconditionally for bringing this to my attention. There is nothing that appeals to me less than reading uninspired trash about an intolerable Touhou character. Fortunately my computer is currently borked beyond all recognition, meaning I can't even read the damn thing. Or check out LoLK.
I spend 2 hours trying to pass stage 3 on normal and couldn't do it

Zweizer

Banned
Homura & Jotaro looks fun, didn't ever think about that matchup

There's tons of Homura/Dio fanworks, but this works, too.

Meiko was an official cosplayer giving out advertising fans, you could tell from how SFW she looked, which I don't think was the case with Hana.

Were they the onl Prison School cosplay you saw? I'd have thought there'd be at least some guy dressing up as the boys in their prison uniform.

Sorry, no pictures. I just saw her passing by me in the midst of the crowd while at the buying halls. It was a mixture of my brain taking too long to process the information and me. ot being sure if it's rude to ask for a picture in that situation!

Such a shame. Hopefully there'll be another opportunity tomorrow~

dani_dc

Were they the onl Prison School cosplay you saw? I'd have thought there'd be at least some guy dressing up as the boys in their prison uniform.

Such a shame. Hopefully there'll be another opportunity tomorrow~
So far yeah.

Didn't notice any other Prison School cosplayers.
There aren't as many males cosplayer as females ones overall.

Don't want to be a buzz killer but I found Hero Academia really meh especially compared to the beginning of most Battle Shonen series, it's lacking. However good for it I guess.

Anyway hot damn Tokyo Ghoul Vol 1 has still been ranking on the best seller for a while. It ranked 1 for about 4 weeks and it seems like Vol 2 selling really well on Amazon. Also JoJo is doing pretty great as well, that's nice.

Crocodile

Jojo truly does go with everything <3

Those don't see updated with the Homura of the 3rd movie though.

i think with a better MC i'd like that Hero manga more but Deku just feels lacking

How is he lacking? His character design (which is admittedly a bit plain)? The fact that he has a brain and actually applies his studious nature to his advantage already sets him a part from a shit ton of shonen protagonists. I think he's one of the better shonen protags I've seen in a while. He's had a MUCH better start than Naruto, Ichigo or Luffy.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah to expand on that, it was mostly the set up for his hero powers that rubbed me the wrong way - oh look, our protag is weak, and born without hero powers, what a surprise that his idol gifts him his power - maybe i was just OD'd on shounen when i tried reading it.

Crocodile

Deku would be better if he remained quirkless

I mean if the author could actually write a narrative where Deku could repeatedly win battles quirk-less and have it not come off as infinite ass pulls I'd be impressed. However, that would be SUPER hard and putting himself in a corner from day one. I will agree that its a bit boring that the quirk he got is basically just super strength but its his brains that have been carrying him through the entire manga so far. My biggest fear is that the author gets lazy/desperate and starts having Deku rely more on his brawn than his brains. If that ever happens it will represent a big quality dip in the manga :(

Yeah to expand on that, it was mostly the set up for his hero powers that rubbed me the wrong way - oh look, our protag is weak, and born without hero powers, what a surprise that his idol gifts him his power - maybe i was just OD'd on shounen when i tried reading it.

It was certainly different from "you are the chosen one" or "accidentally got super powers". He earned the power by proving to All Might that he had the determination to be a hero through the training and by his selfless actions in the first chapter in order to save Bakugou despite being quirkless.

Crocodile

So far, its been no different than being given an opportunity (job opening, strong refence, right place + right time) because you worked your ass off to put yourself in a fortunate situation (creating your own luck) and then you have to continue working your ass off to maintain your position. It doesn't strike me as just being given a free pass. That's why it works so well (so far anyway). It feels like work is being rewarded than "surprise you are now the best because reasons" or "you were secretly the descendant of Jesus and have inherited his power", etc.

Deku's problem for me is that he's not as interesting as his supporting cast, because he has to be the audience insert character. He doesn't really show any personality besides "nice."

Not to mention the world of the manga is kind of plain without any lore.

Zweizer

Banned
I mean if the author could actually write a narrative where Deku could repeatedly win battles quirk-less and have it not come off as infinite ass pulls I'd be impressed. However, that would be SUPER hard and putting himself in a corner from day one. I will agree that its a bit boring that the quirk he got is basically just super strength but its his brains that have been carrying him through the entire manga so far. My biggest fear is that the author gets lazy/desperate and starts having Deku rely more on his brawn than his brains. If that ever happens it will represent a big quality dip in the manga :(

It's not as if I am against him gaining powers, but as you said him remaining quirkless would have lead to a potentially far more interesting series, were the author be able to pull that off. Him being granted the power like that kinda rubbed me off the wrong way as well. Like, there could be more build-up or such.

Revo

If BHA survived a buildup to getting powers in Jump that would have been miraculous.
Doubt we'll ever see anything similar to Mx0.

pZZdcNE.gif

How do you compare it to the start of Naruto? MHA has so far been Naruto done right IMO

Honestly as much shit I give Naruto for turning to shit later on, it had a much better beginning than MHA. The reason I say this is because the former had at least slowly introduced things to the readers such as gradually developing the characters he introduced. Plus the world felt interesting because of how mysterious it felt. MHA on the other hand dumped everything on us really quickly without gradually introducing the characters. Plus you have to admit the series is really fast pace to the point I feel like the author is moving on to one thing and another quickly. Plus due to the fast pace the Worldbuilding is heavily lacking to the point I really don't care about the world as well as the characters. Plus current developments feel unexciting but that probably has to do with my opinion.

Even One Piece while slower had a better beginning because Oda was developing things at a gradual pace. He slowly introduced the Straw Hats (the first few) and slowly building up their characters through their own respective arcs to the point where we become invested in these said characters. I mean think about it if the plot of One Piece starts becoming bad people will still be attached to the Straw Hats because Oda from the very beginning developed these characters gradually. So we start having a attachment to these characters and want to know what will happen to them in every situation and what will the end to their journey be like. However MHA lacks that gradual development and makes it hard to be invested in these characters.

Anyway I'm not saying MHA is terrible because it's definitely not but currently it just feels really average/decent. So I hope the author will slow down on things and develops the setting. Hopefully what all I said makes sense.

Stinky

I havent been following manga in a while but holy shit finding a comics shop and seeing whats been licensed in english has been an utter kind fuck.

Monster Musume? cool
Centaur's Worries? holy shit
Ajin? Fuck yes, best manga
Prison School? YES!!

And my two FAVOURITE manga, Punpun and I am a Hero are both being licensed.. what a time to be alive

Honestly as much shit I give Naruto for turning to shit later on, it had a much better beginning than MHA. The reason I say this is because the former had at least slowly introduced things to the readers such as gradually developing the characters he introduced. Plus the world felt interesting because of how mysterious it felt. MHA on the other hand dumped everything on us really quickly without gradually introducing the characters. Plus you have to admit the series is really fast pace to the point I feel like the author is moving on to one thing and another quickly. Plus due to the fast pace the Worldbuilding is heavily lacking to the point I really don't care about the world as well as the characters. Plus current developments feel unexciting but that probably has to do with my opinion.

Even One Piece while slower had a better beginning because Oda was developing things at a gradual pace. He slowly introduced the Straw Hats (the first few) and slowly building up their characters through their own respective arcs to the point where we become invested in these said characters. I mean think about it if the plot of One Piece starts becoming bad people will still be attached to the Straw Hats because Oda from the very beginning developed these characters gradually. So we start having a attachment to these characters and want to know what will happen to them in every situation and what will the end to their journey be like. However MHA lacks that gradual development and makes it hard to be invested in these characters.

Anyway I'm not saying MHA is terrible because it's definitely not but currently it just feels really average/decent. So I hope the author will slow down on things and develops the setting. Hopefully what all I said makes sense.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said outside of your point about One Piece doing things great, especially compared to Naruto. MHA is the pacing that shonen series should be striving for not be slowed down to the abysmal crawl that we see in other long runners.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said outside of your point about One Piece doing things great, especially compared to Naruto. MHA is the pacing that shonen series should be striving for not be slowed down to the abysmal crawl that we see in other long runners.

I guess we can agree to disagree, however I can kind of see where the appeal of MHA comes from.

Crocodile

Deku's problem for me is that he's not as interesting as his supporting cast, because he has to be the audience insert character. He doesn't really show any personality besides "nice."

Not to mention the world of the manga is kind of plain without any lore.

"Nice"? So his attention to detail, studiousness, intelligence (that is SHOWN and not just told to us), compassion to such a fault he'll do so even if its detrimental to himself, etc. are worth nothing? He so immediately distinguishes himself from the other characters in his own series and other popular shonen protagonists I don't know how you can say this with a straight face. Just because he's not flamboyant doesn't mean he has no personality.

It's not as if I am against him gaining powers, but as you said him remaining quirkless would have lead to a potentially far more interesting series, were the author be able to pull that off. Him being granted the power like that kinda rubbed me off the wrong way as well. Like, there could be more build-up or such.

See if you leave him quirk-less, the only option is to make him into essentially Robin. Robin works as part of a team but he's not going to be soloing anyone high up on the food chain. If you take away the quirks, you have to give Deku basically super human training (you don't become Robin just from taking Judo classes) in addition to a shit-ton of gadgets or money or some other resource. His character and the archetype just become completely different and I'm not convinced any better.

Anyway I'm not saying MHA is terrible because it's definitely not but currently it just feels really average/decent. So hopefully the author will slow down on things and develops the setting.

I had to double check but 50ish chapters into Naruto and One Piece, we were in the early sections of the Chunnin Exam and the Baratie arcs. This will certainly inform this write-up.

Naruto and One Piece inherently started with larger worlds - I don't disagree that their world building is better but MHA has an inherently smaller world and will remain that way unless it goes international (or interplanetary). Also, MHA essentially takes place in an alternate take on our world (unlike Naruto or One Piece) so some of that sense of mystery can't be replicated - you can only make Japan or the USA so different while still calling them Japan and the USA. I guess this is just a personal preference thing but I don't think MHA's world being smaller or more similar to ours is a big flaw. It's a very similar set up to most Western super hero comics (which this is obviously trying to emulate).

I consider MHA's pace to be an attribute. Most manga have GARBAGE pacing - taking 3532452 chapters to do what can be done in 20 is a bug not a feature. I think it was refreshing how quickly we were able to move through the requisite tournament arc. The quick pace so far I feel is encouraging because it gives me confidence we can get a lot of variety in this manga covering a wide range of topics and actually give proper development to this large cast.

I think in this short time MHA has done well to develop a good portion of its cast. Yes, some are still little more than a face + name but Deku, Bakugon, Ida, Todoroki and Ochako and to a lesser extent All Might have been given significant development over the course of the manga so far. In quantity, that's comparable to early Naruto (Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, Iruka, Kakashi, Zubusa and Haku) and better than One Piece (Luffy, Zoro, Usopp + islanders with just starting to touch on Nami & Sanji). In quality, its way better than Naruto (Sakura is trash, who cares about Iruka, etc.) and its debatable if that compares to One Piece (Usopp and Luffy's arcs are great, Zoro is whatever, we've barely touched Nami at this point and we are only about to dive into Sanji in a couple of chapters). At the very least its comparable in a good way to those manga.

Zweizer

Banned
See if you leave him quirk-less, the only option is to make him into essentially Robin. Robin works as part of a team but he's not going to be soloing anyone high up on the food chain. If you take away the quirks, you have to give Deku basically super human training (you don't become Robin just from taking Judo classes) in addition to a shit-ton of gadgets or money or some other resource. His character and the archetype just become completely different and I'm not convinced any better.

He could be like Batman or Nightwing. Either way, he has shown to be capable of quick thinking and form creative plans in action, and these qualities arguably play a bigger part than his quirk, so I don't think his character would need to change much had he remained quirkless.

Crocodile

He could be like Batman or Nightwing. Either way, he has shown to be capable of quick thinking and form creative plans in action, and these qualities arguably play a bigger part than his quirk, so I don't think his character would need to change much had he remained quirkless.

If we make him Batman or Nightwing, he's no longer Deku without a quick but a totally different character. Both Batman and Nightwing are older than Deku, are built differently, would have years more crazy, intense training and in Batman's case have billions/trillions of dollars and all the resources that entails. Plus when Batman is taking down fellow Justice League members, it often requires significant plot armor and contrivances. Batman's standard rogue gallery doesn't include speedsters, giant women, etc. Like if you want to turn MHA into anime Batman that's fine but that's not at all the same as "Deku sans qurik". That's a totally different manga.

Zweizer

Banned
If we make him Batman or Nightwing, he's no longer Deku without a quick but a totally different character. Both Batman and Nightwing are older than Deku, are built differently, would have years more crazy, intense training and in Batman's case have billions/trillions of dollars and all the resources that entails. Plus when Batman is taking down fellow Justice League members, it often requires significant plot armor and contrivances. Batman's standard rogue gallery doesn't include speedsters, giant women, etc. Like if you want to turn MHA into anime Batman that's fine but that's not at all the same as "Deku sans qurik". That's a totally different manga.

I'm not exacltly calling for him to go down the exact same path as Batman/Nightwing, but rather that there are ways for authors to show "normal" humans take down foes that aren't as such, and I guess you're disagreeing with me here, but I don't believe Deku's character would need a lot of adjustements in this scenario. I feel that more than a quirk, it was his mental state that needed to change at the start of the series, as he himself believed himself to be helpless, despite it not being the case, until he got his quirk, which gave him a huge self-confidence boost, and I think the manga itself shows it as such, as he relies more on his brains than brawns.

survivor

Banned
I havent been following manga in a while but holy shit finding a comics shop and seeing whats been licensed in english has been an utter kind fuck.

Monster Musume? cool
Centaur's Worries? holy shit
Ajin? Fuck yes, best manga
Prison School? YES!!

And my two FAVOURITE manga, Punpun and I am a Hero are both being licensed.. what a time to be alive
What a time to be alive.

Zweizer

Banned
Shoujo Shikkaku ch1 by Kawai Rou

Survival game manga, where only one pair of girls, linked by chains, will survive in a death match that lasts one week. Too early to tell if it'll be good, but the set-up is fairly standard.

I guess it might interest you, Usobuko, but I suppose you'd rather wait for it to finish up first?

I'm not exacltly calling for him to go down the exact same path as Batman/Nightwing, but rather that there are ways for authors to show "normal" humans take down foes that aren't as such, and I guess you're disagreeing with me here, but I don't believe Deku's character would need a lot of adjustements in this scenario. I feel that more than a quirk, it was his mental state that needed to change at the start of the series, as he himself believed himself to be helpless, despite it not being the case, until he got his quirk, which gave him a huge self-confidence boost, and I think the manga itself shows it as such, as he relies more on his brains than brawns.

The only chapter he doesn't have a quirk/the option to get a quirk is chapter 1, the only time we see him do anything hero esque with no quirk is when he rushes to save Kacchan and proceeds to nearly get himself killed before All Mighty is inspired to save him and "practice what he preaches". The point is not that Deku can still be a hero despite having no quirk, the point is he has the courage/will to be one despite having no power which is why All Mighty chooses to make him the successor. The author has never shown us anything to indicate a quirkless character can be someone with a quirk, and considering the series is about high school kids going to super hero school the entire premise doesn't work unless your quirkless main character gains some kind of power. If you start radically changing the series to make it about a character with no power beating people with powers you'd basically just need to make a completely different series with a different world, characters, rules, etc.

If you want to see a series about someone with no power in a world full of people with powers finding ways to beat those people go check out Black Clover. Even in that the main character was given some kind of edge in chapter 1 so that he wouldn't get completely out classed by all the magic users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom