• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokémon Adventures: Black and White Vol.08

6mZBY75l.png

Cheren is such an ass

If you want to see a series about someone with no power in a world full of people with powers finding ways to beat those people go check out Black Clover. Even in that the main character was given some kind of edge in chapter 1 so that he wouldn't get completely out classed by all the magic users.

That's a pretty terrible series though.

It's seems like all the MC can do is yell for the millionth time.

Minamoto Kun 178

Paging PartTimeWarrior (and myself)
now i remember why i still read this

----------------

When I saw that there were 3 new pages I thought shit went down but I'm glad nothing happened

animegaf tho

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's a pretty terrible series though.

It's seems like all the MC can do is yell for the millionth time.

My issue with Black Clover is that it's the most generic Shonen.
Asta is an idiot ADD addled half-pint with a super special awesome power
Yuno is the stoic rival that's better than Asta
Noelle is the tsundere (and she has big tits that are often shown off)
Asta wants to be the Hok- er Wizard King
There's magical "dungeons" that show up with treasure.
People underestimate Asta and then lose badly.

There is nothing original here. BUT SOMEHOW IT'S POPULAR IN JAPAN!

Zweizer

Banned
The only chapter he doesn't have a quirk/the option to get a quirk is chapter 1, the only time we see him do anything hero esque with no quirk is when he rushes to save Kacchan and proceeds to nearly get himself killed before All Mighty is inspired to save him and "practice what he preaches". The point is not that Deku can still be a hero despite having no quirk, the point is he has the courage/will to be one despite having no power which is why All Mighty chooses to make him the successor. The author has never shown us anything to indicate a quirkless character can be someone with a quirk, and considering the series is about high school kids going to super hero school the entire premise doesn't work unless your quirkless main character gains some kind of power. If you start radically changing the series to make it about a character with no power beating people with powers you'd basically just need to make a completely different series with a different world, characters, rules, etc.

If you want to see a series about someone with no power in a world full of people with powers finding ways to beat those people go check out Black Clover. Even in that the main character was given some kind of edge in chapter 1 so that he wouldn't get completely out classed by all the magic users.

I guess I just expected something different from that first chapter. Oh well.

When I saw that there were 3 new pages I thought shit went down but I'm glad nothing happened

animegaf tho

Thread has been pretty slow after all.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
magus bride is good so far but I'm not getting that much a HP vibe from it, more like Jonathan Strange weird magic vibe

VRMN

Prison School 1-186

The anime's first few episodes had underwhelmed me, so I endeavored to read the manga to see if and how the series got any better. And, oh boy, did it.

There are a lot of things Prison School does right even putting aside the often ludicrous fanservice offered on a weekly basis. It has a fair bit of character development, interesting plots and subplots, fun characters, and really fantastic art. It really might be one of my favorite manga running right now even if most of the fetishes it caters to aren't exactly my thing.

For example, the Hana subplot. I honestly have no interest in her fetish, but the author knows how to play her relationship with Kiyoshi for ultimate levels of drama and hilarity and does it repeatedly. Same with Andre's S&M fetish and Mitsuko's clumsy-cute (and amusingly better informed than most of the others about sex) thing. Not my thing, but they play it so well in terms of the comedy that it's enrapturing.

But it's more than that. The character development, backstories, and the overall plot is actually really good. Most things are pretty well thought out, the twists are well executed, and the characters make some amount of sense. I'm also still in awe at how quickly they turned the USC from the antagonists of the series to its heroines in such a short span. Probably helps that Kate is such an unlikable person, but even that they seem to be filling in some blanks on to humanize her a little as of late. But, yeah, the three prison break sequences to date have been utterly amazing to watch unfold and showed some real capacity at creating true drama, much more than I would expect from something sometimes dismissed as just common smut.

All I can really do is applaud what I've read, be grateful that I'm somehow still sane after reading the whole series-to-date in a week, and look forward to the next week.

P.S. Hana's probably my favorite character. Every time she shows up it's basically guaranteed to be hilarious.

Marche90

It's a Western term.
In Japan at this point it's One Piece... and everything else.

Ah, yeah. The era of having big mangas is done. At least for a while... Speaking of which, I'm done with Bleach, at least for the time being. I'm planning on reading the ending at the very least, but otherwise I don't think I'll bother with it anymore.

Reminds me that I never finished reading the arrancar arc, and just picked up after Ichigo was done with what's-his-face, the dude who pierced him in the stomach. Whoops.

Soma, 0 (oneshot) to 130

I forgot I never properly wrote my impressions of the manga here and only mentioned it in passing. It only took me two days to finish reading all chapters, and it was extremely easy to read this fast because you simply can't get bored with it, Soma's such a great protagonist, and Tadokoro is lovely. I'm hoping for even more greatness from it.

Ah, yeah. The era of having big mangas is done. At least for a while... Speaking of which, I'm done with Bleach, at least for the time being. I'm planning on reading the ending at the very least, but otherwise I don't think I'll bother with it anymore.

Well it really depends on what you mean an era of having big manga done. I mean there's Tokyo Ghoul a Seinen which sells above 900K per Vol, Nanatsu no Taizai which also sells the same amount, and Assassination Classrom that sells a million per Vol.

So I wouldn't say the era of big manga is done.

I don't think so. Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan, 7 Deadly Sins and AssClass are all very popular. You have up and comers like Shokugeki no Soma and My Hero Academia as well.

I think for big series that are both extremely popular in the west and Japan are pretty much done.

The only real one there is Attack on Titan, everything else doesn't have the same level of popularity that the Big 3 had in the west or Japan.

While it doesn't mean they won't be popular, just not the same level of popularity.

I think for big series that are both extremely popular in the west and Japan are pretty much done.

The only real one there is Attack on Titan, everything else doesn't have the same level of popularity that the Big 3 had in the west or Japan.

While it doesn't mean they won't be popular, just not the same level of popularity.

I'd say Tokyo Ghoul is getting close. English Vols have been doing really well on NY Times best seller.

Plus it has the most viewed Anime Opening on YouTube with 27 million views even beating Attack on Titan. Although I don't know if that would be a good way to gauge up popularity.

magic exists and is super fucking boring because english wizards are boring

faeries suck ass

the french get their ass kicked offscreen by boring wizards

Is it really that bad?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a very (English) literary approach to fantasy. Like if you mixed Harry Potter with Pride and Prejudice.

I recommend the BBC series if you don't have the patience for long, meandering books.

This isn't a manga by the way. Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell is a Hugo award-winning novel.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Jonothan Strange and Mr. Norrel is one of my favorite books and its take on magic and magicians blows pretty much every other contemporary magic fiction out of the water, like The Magicians series

you should read it

Edit: dammit quasar D:

Quasar

It's a very (English) literary approach to fantasy. Like if you mixed Harry Potter with Pride and Prejudice.

Which is what makes it great. Of course that depends on if you like the style its riffing off.

I think I enjoyed the Magicians more though, simply because of my greater attachment to Narnia.

upandaway

I'm totally fine with long manga but also starting to feel drained from the pacing. I can't remember any details about most of the manga I've read. It makes it feel like it was a waste of time reading them to begin with if I forget everything before it reaches anywhere.

I'm totally fine with long manga but also starting to feel drained from the pacing. I can't remember any details about most of the manga I've read. It makes it feel like it was a waste of time reading them to begin with if I forget everything before it reaches anywhere.

Maybe they were not good to begin with or did not leave a good impression on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom