• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

I'm weighing up whether I should go back through that "recommend a manga to someone with one page" thread from a while back to find some new weird stuff or if I should just start reading Fourteen again... alternatively, does anyone here have any good recommendations for weird, unsettling, dark manga that isn't Punpun? Ideally something that has a decent story.

Zweizer

Banned
I'm weighing up whether I should go back through that "recommend a manga to someone with one page" thread from a while back to find some new weird stuff or if I should just start reading Fourteen again... alternatively, does anyone here have any good recommendations for weird, unsettling, dark manga that isn't Punpun? Ideally something that has a decent story.

Try Getenrou, The Music of Marie, Super-Conductive Brains - Parataxis, Helter Skelter, Majime na Jikan, Go Go Monster, and as Usobuko recently recommended, Umwelt.

survivor

Banned
Anamorphosis no Meijuu

Lain

Innocent has the dark angle covered because of the theme, which also doubles for unsettling thanks to the quality drawings that do a damn good depiction job. Maybe it's not weird per se (though there are some godly weird moments), but it's good and I'd love to read more thoughts of people reading it.

Mandelbo

Try Getenrou, The Music of Marie, Super-Conductive Brains - Parataxis, Helter Skelter, Majime na Jikan, Go Go Monster, and as Usobuko recently recommended, Umwelt.

Innocent has the dark angle covered because of the theme, which also doubles for unsettling thanks to the quality drawings that do a damn good depiction job. Maybe it's not weird per se (though there are some godly weird moments), but it's good and I'd love to read more thoughts of people reading it.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll definitely give these a shot!

Revo

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatte Iru Darou ka Gaiden - Sword Oratoria 14

So much character development and mystery

Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta? 09-10

ZP2EI7n.png

yandere waifu is probably the only reason left to read this

Mandelbo

Anamorphosis no Meijuu 1.1-1.7

That was utterly fantastic, and really, really bizarre. I loved the art style - it was almost as if the artist had taken photos of people and then traced over them, like rotoscoping (this probably wasn't the case though.) The part where they call up the food elevator shaft only to have
someone on the other end drop the decapitated heads of the attendants down it in response
genuinely gave me chills! I also really liked the way the
ruse was revealed to the audience, showing us each of the murders and how they were constructed.
Looking forward to the reading the rest of it!

Chapters 2-3

What the fuck

~END~

Well, that went off the deep end fairly quickly. I'll be honest, I much preferred the first portion of the manga to the episodic second portion, but at the very least it wasn't boring, and the last two stories did get a few laughs out of me. Still, those short stories may be the most unashamedly fucked up things I've seen in a while.

Jintor

shit. i should've asked dani to try and pick me up a katawa shoujo artbook, they were selling on day 3.

need a rec btw based on my current reading list. Multi-arc or complete plz, don't want to read 7 chapters and hit a wall of waiting.

Currently reading: Umaru, Boku no Hero, Shinozaki-san, Gekkan Shoujo, Monster Musume, Nana to Kaoru, Stretch, Teppu, OnePunch, Ryyuushiki, Nozomi x Kimio, 14-Sai, Horimiya, Jyoshikausei, Murcielago, Yandere Kanojo. Up to date on all. Based on this, any recommends? Need something new.

Usobuko

Banned
shit. i should've asked dani to try and pick me up a katawa shoujo artbook, they were selling on day 3.

need a rec btw based on my current reading list. Multi-arc or complete plz, don't want to read 7 chapters and hit a wall of waiting.

Currently reading: Umaru, Boku no Hero, Shinozaki-san, Gekkan Shoujo, Monster Musume, Nana to Kaoru, Stretch, Teppu, OnePunch, Ryyuushiki, Nozomi x Kimio, 14-Sai, Horimiya, Jyoshikausei, Murcielago, Yandere Kanojo. Up to date on all. Based on this, any recommends? Need something new.

Did you forget to mention Hinamatsuri? If not, then give it a go.

Noragami (new anime season coming up this Fall)
Shoukoku no Altair

The Ancient Magus Bride (a really solid fantasy series)
Barakamon (a solid sol comedy series)
Tokyo Ghoul (a solid tragedy about a individual stuck between 2 worlds)
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! (a comedy romance)
Yotsuba ( a solid sol series)

Zweizer

Banned

Prison School, Tsugumomo, Keijo, Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko and Jitsu wa Watashi wa for ongoing series.

Uwagaki, Koharu no Hibi, Kyou no Asuka Show for completed ones.

You should probably catch up on Their Story as well~

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Hajime no Ippo, Berserk.
Terraformars

Rising x Rydeen 1-8

So it's about a guy that wants super powers and he eventually gets the ability to shoot jizz out of his hands. Amazing.

I see this is based on a light novel, so it'll probably have a shit non-ending :(

dani_dc

Were the Tokyo Ghoul ones mostly BL? Why am I even kidding myself.

Man people must really like Meiko if she mostly has doujins compared to the other females.

Anyways it must of been a fun experience.

Well, maybe not mostly, might have been all of them!

It's due to Meiko being so over the top sexualized, but the doujins about her completely miss the point of her oversexualization. But I guess it's silly to be complaining about that.

It was fun yeah, except all the people (particularly in day 3).

Nisekoi 1-135

Up to this point, I find myself rooting for Haru. Unconventional choice, but those last chapters were great for here.

Now to keep reading this til the last chapter.

And by "rooting for Haru" you mean rooting for her to not end with Raku right?

Luigi87

I wanted a comedy to read, so I decided to start reading Himouto.

Chapter 1
"I don't know... It's very gag-y."

Chapter 7
"It's not bad, but not sure if I really want to stick with this. Not really laugh out loud funny."

Chapter 41
"I'm still reading this..."

Chapter 100
"I love this series."

Well, maybe not mostly, might have been all of them!

It's due to Meiko being so over the top sexualized, but the doujins about her completely miss the point of her oversexualization. But I guess it's silly to be complaining about that.

It was fun yeah, except all the people (particularly in day 3).

Fuck, why can't there be at least be one decent Doujin for Tokyo Ghoul.

I guess fujoshis really do run the market.

Anyway it makes me sad that they didn't have any Mari ones.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Koukou Kyuuji Zawa-san

it''s about highschool girl who join baseball club so she could go to koshien. She was hoping there would be a change in regulation that will allow woman to compete in koshien while she train hard. It's a very down to earth slice of life with almost nothing of significant happening, but i really enjoy her reaction with her baseball team.

Rising x Rydeen 1-8

So it's about a guy that wants super powers and he eventually gets the ability to shoot jizz out of his hands. Amazing.

I see this is based on a light novel, so it'll probably have a shit non-ending :(

SOLD

I love that people read my manga reviews on amzn then send me review requests acknowleding my great tastes in literature.
CMk8BcHUwAIC7Td.png

Nice :)

Shiori Experience 10

Godammit brass teacher. She ruin it!
Potential bassist about to join their team. I wonder what position prince going to end up with...

upandaway

Aho Girl 33-38

I'm actually starting to notice similarities between Yoshiko and someone I know. I'm kinda curious now whether they like bananas or not

Rhapsody

Banned
I wanted a comedy to read, so I decided to start reading Himouto.

Chapter 1
"I don't know... It's very gag-y."

Chapter 7
"It's not bad, but not sure if I really want to stick with this. Not really laugh out loud funny."

Chapter 41
"I'm still reading this..."

Chapter 100
"I love this series."

Another person that saw the light.

Mandelbo

Majime no Jikan

I really enjoyed this, too. For such a depressing subject matter, I feel it wasn't all that gloomy and had a fairly pleasant ending! I think perhaps one of my favourite parts was during chapter 8 when Kazusa's mother was speaking to Ranko about what kind of person Kazusa was, and her younger brother was standing outside the room listening in and crying. He'd been shown to be so irritable earlier and, while it was obvious that he'd been deeply affected by Kazusa's death (the scene where he was sobbing on the stairs because of how his mother had degenerated physically and mentally since the incident,) but for some reason that part really drove it home for me. By the end, everyone has closure and they're all beginning to move on. How nice!

upandaway

Flying Witch 17

That whale was amazing. Didn't think they'd actually get on it. Seeing Anzu again was nice too.

I wonder how they grew food on those things if they lived on them. Or how they got rocks on them. Or if the whales stop and rest or just fly continuously. Like heck that's a seriously interesting concept.

Zweizer

Banned
HinaMatsuri 1 - 10

Yo this is pretty good.

One of the best Slice of Life series currently running I'd say.

Aho Girl 33-38

I'm actually starting to notice similarities between Yoshiko and someone I know. I'm kinda curious now whether they like bananas or not

Is there an Akkun?

Majime no Jikan

I really enjoyed this, too. For such a depressing subject matter, I feel it wasn't all that gloomy and had a fairly pleasant ending! I think perhaps one of my favourite parts was during chapter 8 when Kazusa's mother was speaking to Ranko about what kind of person Kazusa was, and her younger brother was standing outside the room listening in and crying. He'd been shown to be so irritable earlier and, while it was obvious that he'd been deeply affected by Kazusa's death (the scene where he was sobbing on the stairs because of how his mother had degenerated physically and mentally since the incident,) but for some reason that part really drove it home for me. By the end, everyone has closure and they're all beginning to move on. How nice!

Glad that you enjoyed it. It's a pretty special manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom