• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usobuko

Banned
Went to clear up my list because there's too many fucking junk on it that I started as a kid and still remained on-going status. Shrank 200+ ongoing manga to under 120. I really don't see myself picking off where I left. My time would be better off rereading stuff I like.

Can't bear to delete Pastel though.

Akito

Otoyomegatari 40
2wQwfGl.png
qLjSY2i.png

Zweizer

Banned
Best boy is kashima obviously.

Nah, it's just interesting to see the divide between what I presume are anime only watchers and manga readers.

Which is further illustrated by the most popular couple poll which its publication ran.

Assuming most Pixiv fan artists are influenced by the anime, the trends are rather similar save for Seo x Waka which have yet to pick up steam.

On another note, I like your avatar. Maeda and his tanukis can burn in hell.

Lewd.

upandaway

Itoshi no Karin 16

Man, he is so dang apathetic it's crazy. There's no way he's this indifferent to the situation.

Something has to give eventually when he doesn't even notice he's holding it all in

upandaway

Assassination Classroom 98

I don't know how I feel about putting HxH and Toriko on the same level, in any case it's about time Bitch-sensei got some screentime.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh my at mikorin's illustration that accompanies the popularity poll (which I guess is from the fanbook?).

(Kinda NSFW if your workplace doesn't like the upper body)
https://38.media.tumblr.com/08a76c30baee5622684276e1d3e9978b/tumblr_napv0g3WMR1si3uvio1_500.jpg

Poll results btw.

Mikoshiba
Hori
Sakura
Kashima
Seo
Nozaki
Wakamatsu
Miyamae
Tanuki
Mayu
Yukari
Mamiko
Maeno
Tomoda
Suzuki

Even though it's a shounen there are definitely more girls following it in japan. :lol

Good to see maeno being where he deserves to be.

Also tomoda is too low.

Zweizer

Banned
Seo too low. Tanuki and Maeda too high.

I don't know why they put in Nozaki and that game's characters, but it feels so meta for some reason.

Lain

I skimmed Goodnight Punpun vol 13. too depressing for me with the suicides, eye stabbing and shit. The white dustcover was great though, such a perfect choice, a color that goes contrary to everything that's inside.

Usobuko

Banned
I skimmed Goodnight Punpun vol 13. too depressing for me with the suicides, eye stabbing and shit. The white dustcover was great though, such a perfect choice, a color that goes contrary to everything that's inside.

this cover?

By far my favourite Inio Asano works and I read pretty much everything from him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It starts out cute, then it veers into Murakami-esque ennui, then it just flies off the rails.

Charade

This is a pretty interesting cover, for the first volume of Iron Hammer Against the Witch.

Not much info outside of Inquisition, witches, demons, torture. The title actually sounds quite cool.

Hmm, this sounds promising.
You had me at torture.

scy

Wow. I missed all the fun.

I am very behind with Akame ga Kill!, did any of new antagonists died yet? Fat pedo kinda got on my nerves.

All but one of them are dead.

This is a pretty interesting cover, for the first volume of Iron Hammer Against the Witch.

Not much info outside of Inquisition, witches, demons, torture. The title actually sounds quite cool.

Hm. Is this an LN adaptation?

Zweizer

Banned
Sumire 16-sai!! ch1-End

Sumire 16-sai!! is an interesting manga in that outside of the initial premise, an old guy impersonating a perky high school girl with a doll, most of the actual setting and story tropes are rather straightforward, yet with the simple addition of this plot device the various overused concepts take a new light not much in the manga itself, whose characters react accordingly to the ridiculousness surrounding Sumire, but rather in the connotations of what her existence might mean, particularily when one could consider that the majority of beloved fictional female characters are, like Sumire, a doll controlled by some guy —the author.

Yet, despite this rather unnerving vision of such characters, as one read through the manga, one can slowly realize that Sumire is for all intents and purposes a person, if fictitious one, and like all persons possesses her own personality and emotions, with her own influence on her entourage, which itself might either simply be the characters of a manga, or might symbolize the readers themselves. As such, her artificiality notwithstanding, Sumire is truly a "person" that lives and breathes life in the manga, all the while bringing her own twist to the typical high school setting.

In conclusion, Sumire 16-sai!!, while at first glance seems like a mostly comedic manga, is a rather multifacetted work that can either entertain or unnerve the readers, but before all else presents a new view to the concept of characters themselves, yet it doesn't try to destroy or criticize said concept but rather help you appreciate the characters more, as well as the work of the author behind them.

Lain

this cover?

By far my favourite Inio Asano works and I read pretty much everything from him.

I meant the dust jacket it got over here, not the cover proper. This one:

To put it in line with past dust jacket over here for Punpun:
sPbb.jpg
rPbb.jpg
tPbb.jpg
uPbb.jpg

I felt that pure white dust jacket created an interesting contrast with some of the content of the last book.

Zweizer

Banned
Ok.
Sorry.
It's an habit I picked up in high school.
Mostly due to dissertations.
French teacher loves these complex sentences.
I will try to moderate it next time.

Jintor

It's more like it's easily solvable and most people don't really write long form around here (or the ones who do are really good at it, like Corvo or Mumei or something)

Charade

First time I see you call out on someone else's writing though.
Was it really that bad?

I think the writing itself is fine. Really good actually, especially since it's not your first language. Really all you'd have to do is switch some commas for periods.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Oh my at mikorin's illustration that accompanies the popularity poll (which I guess is from the fanbook?).

(Kinda NSFW if your workplace doesn't like the upper body)
https://38.media.tumblr.com/08a76c30baee5622684276e1d3e9978b/tumblr_napv0g3WMR1si3uvio1_500.jpg

Poll results btw.

Even though it's a shounen there are definitely more girls following it in japan. :lol

Good to see maeno being where he deserves to be.

Also tomoda is too low.

Deep inside, i know that Mikoshiba is the best girl all along.

And that illust is so :DTL

Jintor

I think the writing itself is fine. Really good actually, especially since it's not your first language. Really all you'd have to do is switch some commas for periods.

Exactly. The run-on comma problem is extremely common for people who have a good conversational grasp of the language but don't necessarily need to write long-form articles very often (even native speakers). But it's easily solved just by tossing out some commas and replacing them with periods. Another tip is just to read in your head or out loud what you've written, and if you're running out of breath too often, toss in a full stop.

My french is terrible btw

Zweizer

Banned
It's more like it's easily solvable and most people don't really write long form around here (or the ones who do are really good at it, like Corvo or Mumei or something)

Well personally I tend to use commas instead of periods whenever I think the subject I'm writing about fits the overall sentence. I guess this is a bad habit.

Get the hint, Zweizer, you're special to him. :3

Oh, ooh, sorry Jintor I was dense this time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think you're having a little difficulty separating the concept of the sentence from the paragraph, which seems to be what this implies: "I think the subject I'm writing about fits the overall sentence".

In primary and secondary education in English-speaking countries, students are usually taught to begin paragraphs with a topic sentence introducing a subject or concept, followed by supporting sentences to further elaborate on it. Obviously, sentences are delineated by periods rather than commas. I don't know how prose is taught in France, but your post would definitely look off to a native English-speaker.

Zweizer

Banned
Actually I find that I tend to write too dryly in general. Maybe that's just me trying to compensate for my lack of prose with gratuitous use of commas.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gunjou 28

Then why are you biking?

So apparently this is ending pretty soon? Which kinda sucks as I thought that it's going to be a series about a club of girls doing marathon running, but all it turned out to be was a girl trying to form a marathon running club with a lot of angst. Which actually works pretty well as a short story when I think about it, but I still have my expectations calibrated for a club about marathons. Guess I'll reread it once it's done with those expectations in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom