• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thing is, you can hate something, but love to talk about it. The best example for this are - well, haters. Who just jump into a discussion to drive in that they hate something. So, if your 200 chapters behind, you can't really hate in the most recent discussions. Plus in the case of Naruto, reading a chapter takes like 5 minutes, that is not much time compared to all the fun of feeling superior and getting in fight with Naruto fans and shaking hands with other people who do the same as you.I read it, I think we're stuck in a fightscene since one or two years. It just drags on and on.

But I actual still remember who is who. I don't know who the fuck anyone in the recent Berzerk chapters is, besides Griffith.

That's my point - haters derive enjoyment from hating. That's kind of my point about animeGAF at times - they're either secretly enjoying it unironically, or they're just being haters. Either isn't something I like.

Chariot

That's my point - haters derive enjoyment from hating. That's kind of my point about animeGAF at times - they're either secretly enjoying it unironically, or they're just being haters. Either isn't something I like.
Understandable.
I like the hate culture to a certain extend, it just feels so good if you dislike something with others, but sometimes it just feels artificial or too harsh, when people leaving the enjoyment and are really forcing themselves to watch or read something for the sake of having it done or something.
Amano Shuninta's Mama Mama is a yuri one shot that has a rather unremarkable beginning. The story opens with two women waking up from their night together, moving toward your typical morning preparations. They try to dress their kids, have breakfast, and do all the things that are fairly banal but typical for a yuri manga inasmuch as a lot of yuri mangaka like to represent normality in a lesbian relationship.

It beings to end with the two characters kissing each other as they leave their house, and you're left to think that this is just a standard yuri manga story that is relatively forgettable. It's at that point that the manga takes a big left swerve right at the end, when you find out that the characters are actually married... to other men. What you think is just a simple manga about two women raising a family together becomes a story about two housewives having an illicit affair, hinting towards some of the darker issues that touches the LGBT community in Japan.

"Mama made a mistake" is a final phrase that carries such dark undertones, because the mistake is left rather ambiguous. Are they living closeted lives in sham marriages? Did they ever try to come out? Is this the only measure of happiness that they can find because they are afraid of the consequences? There are just a lot of open questions that are essentially left unanswered. And, of course, it's not a surprise that a lot of people over at the Yuri manga forum have reacted in shock at the final two pages of the manga.

It's just amazing that a 13 page story could really give you so much to think about.
This sounds super interesting! Will read that

edit:
Did read that. You already said everything. Very powerful, even with knowing the twist.
Thanks for talking about it.

Zweizer

Banned

I admit I didn't read this much into Mama Mama but your interpretation makes sense and adds an even darker tone to the story than I thought.

I haven't started reading Kyou Kara Yonshimai yet but based on your impressions it sounds promising.

Not really related because it was because I lost my save during grinding for it and watched a perfectly captured video of it afterwards, but I never beat
Giygas
. I feel so bad about that one.

Oh man, I feel bad for you. That was possibly one of the most memorable and powerful boss fights of all-time. The way it adresses you is simply perfect.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I admit I didn't read this much into Mama Mama but your interpretation makes sense and adds an even darker tone to the story than I thought.

I haven't started reading Kyou Kara Yonshimai yet but based on your impressions it sounds promising.

Oh man, I feel bad for you. That was possibly one of the most memorable and powerful boss fights of all-time. The way it adresses you is simply perfect.

It was interesting as an adult trying to read up on wtf was up with that fight an all the interpretations of it. In other words, I tried to grasp the true form of Gigyas attack.

upandaway

Himouto 12

kagmisa.png

can't breathe
help

Chari-bro INVENTED ManGAF.
Probably another brainfart.
That explains it

You guys are all following a broken Panda post
Haha that brings up memories, whew

found it

Parasyte 50-55

This decided to ramp up the gore quite heavily in the finale. Wonder how the anime will deal with this part, but since it's Madhouse I doubt there's need to worry.

The military in fiction is quite often putting messed up plans into effect but this one goes a bit beyond the call of duty.

Busaiku

1qPoTkg.png

Hara is awesome.

I can't remember, but I Can't Ride A Bicycle is the longest running series on Manga Box right?
It's at 40 chapters, which I think was the start of the service.

Berserk 336

Only a man as glorious as Lord Griffith would be able to find a way to create a sanctuary where both the most blood thirsty demons and weakest and frailest of humans could all prosper. You'd have to be some kind of monster to want to destroy such a utopia in such a dangerous world.

ampere

The era of Wednesday Jump is over? A good thing I've largely moved over to Jump International, it won't feel any different to me.

Been wondering... when we get Wednesday chapters are those the ones that 'release' the next Monday in Japan? And someone was leaking them to the internet early? Have a feeling that's the case, but I can't recall. I do remember going on a trip to Japan and buying the 'new' jump issue and finding chapters I'd already read...

How is Viz's Weekly Jump service? If you sub can you read everything digitally or is it just the past few weeks worth? And it looks like it's same day as Japan release now, pretty solid.

Sure but nobody here *actually* hates Naruto, they just say they do.

I don't hate it, but it has long since jumped the shark.

Wiseblade

Been wondering... when we get Wednesday chapters are those the ones that 'release' the next Monday in Japan? And someone was leaking them to the internet early? Have a feeling that's the case, but I can't recall. I do remember going on a trip to Japan and buying the 'new' jump issue and finding chapters I'd already read...
That is exactly the case. IIRC, a week of JUMP is produced and shipped way in advance of its release date because some parts of Japan are a real hassle to deliver to.

How is Viz's Weekly Jump service? If you sub can you read everything digitally or is it just the past few weeks worth? And it looks like it's same day as Japan release now, pretty solid.
It's pretty good. Viz make some localisation decisions that I don't like, but I'm more tolerant of stupidness like "Zolo" than unforgivable garbage like "nakama".

Hystzen

Berserk 336

Only a man as glorious as Lord Griffith would be able to find a way to create a sanctuary where both the most blood thirsty demons and weakest and frailest of humans could all prosper. You'd have to be some kind of monster to want to destroy such a utopia in such a dangerous world.

Gutts finishes his training heads to kill Griffith but sees how amazing his world is forgives him and lives in peace.

The end

ampere

Makes sense that they're working to axe the leaks then. Can never really stop a purchaser from scanning them on Monday though.

It's pretty good. Viz make some localisation decisions that I don't like, but I'm more tolerant of stupidness like "Zolo" than unforgivable garbage like "nakama".

Yea I can probably deal with that stuff. Looks like they're adding HxH back to the lineup too, cool. I remember that wasn't part of Viz's service when it started up again recently.

Angry Grimace

If raws aren't getting scanned until Monday, then WSJ and JUMP International become far easier sells.

I sincerely doubt they can avoid scans coming out early without delaying the print version. Its just an inevitability of the fact that hundreds of people need access to the original printings before they go on sale.

Jex

Before I begin, I'd like to point out that I am loathe to write this kind of piece. However, in the absence of divine intervention (Dresden-sama?) I feel obliged to speak up.

I have a really hard time with animeGAF. I'd like to talk about stuff there sometimes, but they seem to hate everything.

There is no collective voice. AnimeGAF is merely a thread for discussing seasonal anime and many of us do not see eye-to-eye. There are a handful of very regular posters as well as some less frequent attendants. It's true that there are certain posters whose voices are heard more clearly but most of them e.g. cajunator hardly hate everything. Hell, he doesn't seem to dislike anything.

The only thing that separates the participants in the the main anime thread from the people who post in say, Toonami or the individual show threads is personal preference. This leads to each thread having it's own voice but it's still no more than an allied collection of individuals with divergent tastes.
I don't know, every time I go in there, its people watching shows they hate and then complaining about how dumb and pandering they are. I mean, people in AnimeGAF clearly like SAO since they watch all of it and comment on every episode, but then they just write paragraphs about how dumb it like they need to save face in front of internet people they don't know even though its super obvious they like it anyways since people don't watch things they don't like unless they are actually insane people.
This was the fundamental source of the conflict between Big One and I -- he claimed he read Naruto despite hating it. Its just such an irrational claim that it the only logical conclusion is that its trolling or playing it off. People don't do things they actively don't like unless there is some actual justification or obligation to do so.

I could buy that argument if we're talking about watching the last 2 seasons of Lost because the first four seasons were good. But I don't buy someone would watch 10 more seasons of Lost if they were all shitty just to find out what happens in the end or based on the good will from the first four.

There are a lot of ideas here that are worth examining,

- Yes, people certainly watch shows and complain about them. This is because a lot of anime shows are, unfortunately, dreadful. However, as there's so few shows airing every season sometimes people stick with things to see if they improve.

- This, however, is not the case for everyone, or even the majority of posters. There's plenty of people posting about shows they're enjoying.

- I don't know what's more interesting, your idea that people can't possibly watch things they dislike on a regular basis or that it's somehow unique to the main anime thread. LOST is an interesting example because it's far longer than any anime, so the comparison doesn't quite work. A single season of SAO was far shorter than a single season of LOST.

I certainly remember the ire of people who'd post in those LOST threads week after week, year after year, complaining about the show. More recently, people regularly hatewatched The Newsroom both, the public on forums and professional critics. The Walking Dead is a TV series that has attracted hatewatching for sometime. The list goes on and on. Hatewatching is something that occurs in all forms of media for all kinds of viewers across a broad spectrum of genres. Why, exactly, people engage in this activity is a very interesting question but it's quite clear that it exists. A cursory google or twitter search generates countless examples of the phenomena.

Now, with Sword Art Online specifically plenty of people were watching that because it was the hot show of the period. It had a hook, as they say, to get people onboard and many people kept up with the show in the hope that it might improve. Anyway, the really dedicated hatewatch didn't even come from the main anime thread or AnimeGAF (besides firehawk12, of course), but instead from the main SAO thread in the Off Topic forum.

Why do people still watch the show? They want to know if it'll get worse, whether it can top the ludicrousness of the first season. Or, perhaps, they actually like it. There are numerous potential reasons, but 'secretly liking it' probably isn't the blanket explanation for everyone.
I enjoy watching things I dislike as long as they are entertaining in some way, I thought the last season of Dexter was awful, but I enjoyed the experience of watching alongside a friend and laughing at it as well as discussing the issues the season had. Analyzing where something went wrong can be on itself a fun and interesting activity.
Now watching it just to say "its awful" is something I usually don't do, there has to be some degree of interest for me to watch something I dislike.

Another good TV example.

I see we're back at the AnimeGAF hive mid again here. While there may be individual people enjoying certain shows unironically but posting negatively that's just a supposition that I can't prove.

I'm also not sure what the definition of a "hater" is, or who these posters are that only spew hate because I just don't see that content in the thread.

If by hate you mean that people in the thread express critical views about shows that they watch then I won't apologize for that, people should be free to express their dissatisfaction and disappointment. If there are lots of bad shows in a season then they're will be a lot of negative impressions but so be it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
So what's creepier: Mashiba fantasizing about being the teacher of the future child of a girl he's in love with, or Ueno kissing Ishida when he's unconscious?

Wait, Mashiba was in love with the girl bully? I thought they both were just the most prominent of his bullies.

I have to admit that Koe no Katachi it's becoming quite creepy... i was in there for the drama not for the psycho characters.

To be fair, the manga always seemed to have an undercurrent of psychopathy ever since we saw Yuzuru taking pictures of dead things.

Except it turned out that she wasn't doing it for pleasure. :(

kasane

I just found out that my teacher adviser during highschool was posoined by her husband because the husband was cheating

Holy shit this is kinda disturbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom