• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but nobody here *actually* hates Naruto, they just say they do.

tumblr_inline_nad0dpDh6Y1rqir79.gif

Ummmm sure I'll go with that ;)

I don't know, every time I go in there, its people watching shows they hate and then complaining about how dumb and pandering they are. I mean, people in AnimeGAF clearly like SAO since they watch all of it and comment on every episode, but then they just write paragraphs about how dumb it like they need to save face in front of internet people they don't know even though its super obvious they like it anyways since people don't watch things they don't like unless they are actually insane people.

Yep i never get that and what is even more funny some people don't like it but still watching the second season ........
Trying going animegaf but since i like to save up eps then watch it did not work out along with out stuff.

I think fair amount of people just get indifferent to it more than hate.

I don't know, every time I go in there, its people watching shows they hate and then complaining about how dumb and pandering they are. I mean, people in AnimeGAF clearly like SAO since they watch all of it and comment on every episode, but then they just write paragraphs about how dumb it like they need to save face in front of internet people they don't know even though its super obvious they like it anyways since people don't watch things they don't like unless they are actually insane people.

Well, I can't say you're wrong.
I think most people watch SAO because everyone else is. Me included.

idk we complain about Naruto every week :p

Most have probably been following Naruto for years, can't really think of a single anime series I can say the same for. I think it's a little different.

Soma

Watching something bad just to get reactions out of it is lame.

Watching something bad to get an informed opinion on why it's bad and thus giving otherwise potential viewers a solid idea on why it should be avoided is fine.

You're on a roll with these baseless assumptions today!

Most have probably been following Naruto for years, can't really think of a single anime series I can say the same for. I think it's a little different.

yeah it's different i guess it closer to watching a tv show jumping the shark .

I hate when people says that something is bad and yet keep on reading it chapter after chapter.

After a certain amount of years you get invested or some people just hope for it still.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[/IMG]

Ummmm sure I'll go with that ;)

I hate when people says that something is bad and yet keep on reading it chapter after chapter.

This was the fundamental source of the conflict between Big One and I -- he claimed he read Naruto despite hating it. Its just such an irrational claim that it the only logical conclusion is that its trolling or playing it off. People don't do things they actively don't like unless there is some actual justification or obligation to do so.

I could buy that argument if we're talking about watching the last 2 seasons of Lost because the first four seasons were good. But I don't buy someone would watch 10 more seasons of Lost if they were all shitty just to find out what happens in the end or based on the good will from the first four.

This was the fundamental source of the conflict between Big One and I -- he claimed he read Naruto despite hating it. Its just such an irrational claim that it the only logical conclusion is that its trolling or playing it off. People don't do things they actively don't like unless there is some actual justification or obligation to do so.

I could buy that argument if we're talking about watching the last 2 seasons of Lost because the first four seasons were good. But I don't buy someone would watch 10 more seasons of Lost if they were all shitty just to find out what happens in the end or based on the good will from the first four.

Naruto at first was really good it slowly declined after the Pain arc (some say earlier then that)

Let's just say that some people read it because
A) They hope it will get better
B) Nostalgia + the fact that it is going to end soon
C) You have great chapters sometimes like the Gai vs Madara smack down

For me though... I don't hate the series as a whole... I notice some plot missteps here and there and I jokingly type it out but I can see some people actually getting somewhat annoyed by it

Zweizer

Banned
Koe no Katachi - 50

Everyone in this manga is a closet psychopath.

Except Ueno. She is an outright psychopath.

You know, going from this assumption, it would be funny if Nishimiya secretly really was manipulating Ishida. All evidence points to the contrary of course, but that'd be a crazy alternative character interpretation.

It really depends, since a good amount of manga can have high and low moments or a slow start.

Well for Naruto I've been acting on the assumption it's been "about to end" for 2 years now (and it actually looks legit this time.)
If I had known back then that this arc would drag out for as long as it did, I probably would've just waited for it to be over and read it all from that point to the finish.
A little silly in hindsight. But I don't hate it. It's definitely not good though.

I've been invested in One Piece since 2001 but it wasn't that hard to drop it earlier this year.

Nonetheless you are all on my list

I have a hard time dropping things after a certain point.

Wiseblade

SAO is a special case. It started out with promise, but sinks so low, so fast that you watch out of a morbid curiosity of what you'll be subjected to next.

No excuse for people watching the second season though. Fool me once...

I've been invested in One Piece since 2001 but it wasn't that hard to drop it earlier this year.
iPYEemHTuer0r.gif

Well for Naruto I've been acting on the assumption it's been "about to end" for 2 years now (and it actually looks legit this time.)
If I had known back then that this arc would drag out for as long as it did, I probably would've just waited for it to be over and read it all from that point to the finish.
A little silly in hindsight. But I don't hate it. It's definitely not good though.

Yep naruto was suppose ending for years .
It's like when some people i know said bleach was ending soon cause this was the last arc .
I told them last arc can still mean a years .

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Let's put it this way, if the "I've spent years keeping up with this series even though I hate it" was legit, people would still keep up with Claymore after that time we started reading Claymore. Now, it appears there's only like 4 or 5 people left who even know what's going on, probably because it became incomprehensible.

Chariot

Thing is, you can hate something, but love to talk about it. The best example for this are - well, haters. Who just jump into a discussion to drive in that they hate something. So, if your 200 chapters behind, you can't really hate in the most recent discussions. Plus in the case of Naruto, reading a chapter takes like 5 minutes, that is not much time compared to all the fun of feeling superior and getting in fight with Naruto fans and shaking hands with other people who do the same as you.
Let's put it this way, if the "I've spent years keeping up with this series even though I hate it" was legit, people would still keep up with Claymore after that time we started reading Claymore. Now, it appears there's only like 4 or 5 people left who even know what's going on, probably because it became incomprehensible.
I read it, I think we're stuck in a fightscene since one or two years. It just drags on and on.

But I actual still remember who is who. I don't know who the fuck anyone in the recent Berzerk chapters is, besides Griffith.

OP is not ending anything soon IMO it easier to drop stuff like that .

I drop claymore and pick it back after i hear it ending lol .

dani_dc

I enjoy watching things I dislike as long as they are entertaining in some way, I thought the last season of Dexter was awful, but I enjoyed the experience of watching alongside a friend and laughing at it as well as discussing the issues the season had. Analyzing where something went wrong can be on itself a fun and interesting activity.
Now watching it just to say "its awful" is something I usually don't do, there has to be some degree of interest for me to watch something I dislike.

scy

There's 4 or 5?

So what's creepier: Mashiba fantasizing about being the teacher of the future child of a girl he's in love with, or Ueno kissing Ishida when he's unconscious?

upandaway

I can perfectly understand people reading something despite not really liking it anymore, out of pure curiosity. My history is riddled with things I've read or watched up to a volume or an episode or two before the ending, then dropped it when the curiosity vanished.

Actually there's more series I dropped near the end than series I finished proper

But I actual still remember who is who. I don't know who the fuck anyone in the recent Berzerk chapters is, besides Griffith.

I reread Berserk a while ago, so everything is still fresh in my memory.

I can perfectly understand people reading something despite not really liking it anymore, out of pure curiosity. My history is riddled with things I've read or watched up to a volume or an episode or two before the ending, then dropped it when the curiosity vanished.

Actually there's more series I dropped near the end than series I finished proper

I can only do that with video games.
I'll never beat Lavos.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amano Shuninta's Mama Mama is a yuri one shot that has a rather unremarkable beginning. The story opens with two women waking up from their night together, moving toward your typical morning preparations. They try to dress their kids, have breakfast, and do all the things that are fairly banal but typical for a yuri manga inasmuch as a lot of yuri mangaka like to represent normality in a lesbian relationship.

It beings to end with the two characters kissing each other as they leave their house, and you're left to think that this is just a standard yuri manga story that is relatively forgettable. It's at that point that the manga takes a big left swerve right at the end, when you find out that the characters are actually married... to other men. What you think is just a simple manga about two women raising a family together becomes a story about two housewives having an illicit affair, hinting towards some of the darker issues that touches the LGBT community in Japan.
"Mama made a mistake" is a final phrase that carries such dark undertones, because the mistake is left rather ambiguous. Are they living closeted lives in sham marriages? Did they ever try to come out? Is this the only measure of happiness that they can find because they are afraid of the consequences? There are just a lot of open questions that are essentially left unanswered. And, of course, it's not a surprise that a lot of people over at the Yuri manga forum have reacted in shock at the final two pages of the manga.

It's just amazing that a 13 page story could really give you so much to think about.

---

Kyou Kara Yonshimai by Kizuki Akira and Satou Nanki.
One of the reasons why I picked this up was because it had a premise similar to Half and Half. A man who goes off to college comes home and has suddenly become a woman. There are your typical "shocked reaction" comedic moments, but like Half and Half, it takes a moment to become rather serious:

Whereas the team's previous manga, Ebisu-san and Hotei-san, pretty much tiptoed around the budding lesbian relationship between the two title characters, Kyou Kara Yonshimai is at least not afraid to address some of the complications that will inevitably arise when someone decides to come out and transition.

The issue isn't raised in a manner that is as violent as Half and Half, of course:
But it doesn't really need to be. This is a problem that has entered this world, in a way that has consequences. She just happens to have a family who is ready not to abandon her in her most vulnerable time of need.

Incidentally, probably the more amusing thing I've seen is Kashiwa revealing she has a girlfriend, which lead to the forums having a similar debate to the one raised here:

Gender and sexuality is amusing at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom